Done with it!

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

Ok, so why CAN'T you have potatoes? Allergy?

And honestly, I'm a psychologist by trade and advise against elimination. That sort of cognitive inflexibility is generally not healthy.

Did I say "ME"? I said SOME people., Because YOU can doesn't mean everyone can. You are now doing an excellent job of proving my point. Step back and think a little before assuming we all came out of a cookie cutter and are therefore all exactly alike 100%. Not everyone can follow YOUR diet and be successful. Which is the original point of this whole thread. If someone finds something that works very well and it happens to be different from what works for you why do you care? I would rather people get there in what ever way works for them than to keep doing what is holding them down.

and you are missing the point.

If people can't have certain foods due to medical reasons then no one that I have ever seen has berated them for it ever.

Or Even if they choose to not eat certain foods for ethical reasons...no one berates them.

or if someone say I choose to not eat this because I am an adult and I prefer it that way they are told okay that's your choice, doesn't make sense to me but have at...

but if someone thinks they can't eat a potato because it's a white carb they get corrected...and if someone insists that they can't because white carbs are unhealthy and cause weight gain then they get corrected sternly...and if someone continues to insist than yah the gifs start and they get made fun of a bit ....

you will probably see that here if people continue to insist their point is the only correct one...*coughs*

So much this!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There is no one size fits all. ... only in onesees :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

And it's fine if they can't, but questioning it isn't disrespecting them, it's simply asking a question.

And the act of asking that question comes from experience, in most cases. A lot of the time, people have had the experience of restricting foods leading to diet failure because it was not a fully informed, sustainable choice.

People in the diet industry wrap a lot of scary sounding claims around selling people on the idea of why they should be eating certain ways to convince them to buy books. And a lot of those claims are patently false. Some people come to these forums with information they've heard from people who've read those books or that has been passed along like the telephone game in social media, and there's no real understanding behind their decision to do what they planned -- they just think they have to do xyz to lose weight.

There is no harm in asking. It's not an insult to inform them they don't have to. It's not an insult to inform them cutting whole food groups or eating a certain way isn't the way weight loss works.

As a poster said upstream, informed choices are good things.
  • lalysolon
    lalysolon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New here. Not up on the acronyms. What the hell is CICO? Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ok, so why CAN'T you have potatoes? Allergy?

And honestly, I'm a psychologist by trade and advise against elimination. That sort of cognitive inflexibility is generally not healthy.

Did I say "ME"? I said SOME people., Because YOU can doesn't mean everyone can. You are now doing an excellent job of proving my point. Step back and think a little before assuming we all came out of a cookie cutter and are therefore all exactly alike 100%. Not everyone can follow YOUR diet and be successful. Which is the original point of this whole thread. If someone finds something that works very well and it happens to be different from what works for you why do you care? I would rather people get there in what ever way works for them than to keep doing what is holding them down.

What people CAN do and what people CHOOSE to do are often two different things.

Yes, we are all different. But many people erroneously believe that they CAN'T have something because of random internet advice. If you carefully read my original statement, I used the phrase "erroneously believe", which means that their thinking is not correct because they actually CAN have that. Obviously it does not apply to you if you truly cannot have an item due to an allergy or intolerance.

You mean I shouldn't start an "I can't eat beets" thread? ;)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    lalysolon wrote: »
    New here. Not up on the acronyms. What the hell is CICO? Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question!

Calories in, Calories out :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

CICO = calories in vs. calories out = how many calories are you eating vs. how many are you burning all day long
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

Calories in/calories out
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Calories In-Calories Out. In other words, if you have more calories coming in than going out, you will gain. If fewer, you will lose. It doesn't matter whether they're fat, sugar, etc.

Note that's talking from a weight-loss NOT a nutrition angle. Clearly, if you eat nothing but junk food every day (which, I don't believe anyone advocates) but stay within your calorie totals, you will likely be hungry, and setting yourself up for health issues. But what that means is that if you decide that you want a 270-calorie jelly donut and you are on a 1700 calorie/day budget and you stay within that limit, you are going to lose the same amount of weight as you would if that 270 calories was taken up with grilled fish and salad.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I think eggs are icky. I get that they are healthy, a good source of protein etc., but I just never liked the taste.

Not once have I been told here I have to eat them.

Send me all your eggs. I will eat them for you.

You can eat all the beets.

And what would I do with the damn things? At least eggs are good for throwing.

Really, I drive my wife nuts because I am a picky eater. Lots of healthy stuff that I don't eat because I don't like it. I'm doing better than I was, but I eat almost no cooked veggies and not a good range of raw ones.
This discussion has been closed.