Done with it!

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    51 year old menopausal woman in maintenance here.

It IS about CICO.

And I believe the variables that influence CI and CO differ for different people.

And different ways of eating affect different folks' success with keeping CO higher than CI.

And, people have different goals when they visit the forums. Most want the number on the scale to go down (some want it to go up). But beyond that, different folks have different goals here.

And, finally, folks are at different points along their life journeys, both in terms of their knowledge about weight loss, and their readiness to lose and MAINTAIN weight loss.

How I approach all of this differs from how many others approach it. That's just reality.

Great post :)

eta-I think OP may be misunderstanding when people are saying CICO because while yes that's the ultimate bottom line for weight loss, there's all sorts of ways to go about it. I've done IF for years but I rarely bring it up because it's just the tool I use to make CICO work for me.
  • I could NOT agree more. This is not a one size fits all thing at all. Some people do have medical snags that keep it from being as easy as it is for others. When the calories in vs calories out gets complicated is when someones calories are not as easy to get out as others. When a person's BMR is very low even with plenty of exercise it is much more difficult because the calories in that person's allowance are also very low. And that's not always easy to maintain.

When I was in my 20's it seemed like the weight would just fall right off if I gained any. Now twice as old it is definitely not just that easy. I am glad to see this post because there are a LOT of people here who need to learn to understand this very thing.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I'm a 54 year old woman with medical conditions who thinks it's all CICO. Can I comment?

And yeah, I started this whole thing to improve my health. I did that most dramatically losing weight. I was already eating well, I was just eating too much. I'd already been down the road of believing that eating a certain way would save me from myself.

It hadn't worked. The only thing that has worked has been restricting calories. Learning that has led to me easing up on the reigns of my dietary choices a little bit. If I want some candy or cookies every now and then, I have them.

That is the point the muscle bound people are trying to make. Food choice isn't the issue where weight management is concerned. Calorie intake is. If someone wants to undertake a certain way of eating for health issues, that's a separate matter.

^^^^^ This a million times.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    What about us decently muscled older men? :(

mfp's forums are actually very civil compared to some out there on the web, as in VERY civil.

OP, if you decide to come back to browse - just choose who to interact with, use the ignore function and/or report to mods as necessary.

LOL I just let it go.. My wife likes to look at me so I go with that :smiley:
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2017
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

Same. I also have foods that I eat very rarely. Or items I don't keep in my own house but might have if I'm out. I realize that this is a journey. It is for life. I'm only kidding myself if I don't learn how to appropriately handle temptation. I want to enjoy life, and that includes ice cream, cake, dessert, wine, pizza, etc. I just have to plan my day around it and be more active. And that is ok! But I'm not cool with giving up those things forever. And if I don't learn how to incorporate them into my day now, I'm afraid I won't do that well once I finally get to maintenance.
  • I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

Ok, so why CAN'T you have potatoes? Allergy?

And honestly, I'm a psychologist by trade and advise against elimination. That sort of cognitive inflexibility is generally not healthy.

Did I say "ME"? I said SOME people., Because YOU can doesn't mean everyone can. You are now doing an excellent job of proving my point. Step back and think a little before assuming we all came out of a cookie cutter and are therefore all exactly alike 100%. Not everyone can follow YOUR diet and be successful. Which is the original point of this whole thread. If someone finds something that works very well and it happens to be different from what works for you why do you care? I would rather people get there in what ever way works for them than to keep doing what is holding them down.
  • jemhh wrote: »

I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

I see it all the time. Every time I come in here actually. The robotic comments. People spit them out like gumballs from a 2 cent machine. No thought or consideration. Just the same old recycled and beat up lines.
This discussion has been closed.