Keto 3 Week Challenge

Options

Replies

• FitMom527
    FitMom527 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am new to Keto as well. I understand where you are coming from. I have lost on Weight Watchers, so this seems different as well. I have always been a size 8-10 and could lose weight by cutting back. Once I hit 50 that totally changed! I am now a size 14 and need to lose 40 pounds. I am a nurse and have a good understanding of what to do. I had too many people tell me to "just accept it because of menopause and being over 50". I was not going to be a statistic of my age and hormones. I also thought I have been insulin resistanct. That is what brought me to going Keto. I watched a lot of You Tube videos on Keto. Dr.Berg has a good channel on intermittent fasting, insulin, weight gain and the benefits of Keto. What I can say is thar I feel GREAT! I no longer wake up all puffy and bloated! I now log my food on My Fitness Pal. It holds me accountable to drink more water, exercise more and keep up with my eating. I did take my measurements and weighed mself. I am new at this and really hope this low carb, high fat and moderate protein food plan works. I suggest watching good You Tube videos. There are so many good ones on foods to eat, preparing meals etc.... Good luck with Keto! I hope this information helps.
  • FitMom527
    FitMom527 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    @carlsoda well then we can tame that monster together! It's nice to have other people around that are going through the same challenge!

I was so hungry for something sweet yesterday! Those sugar cravings really are hard to beat down. I am happy to report that I survived the challenge. If you have been off of keto or are new to Keto I do suggest that you wean yourself off of carbs this week. I have found that if I ease myself back into this way of eating I do not get what people call the keto flu. The hardest thing for me is my mind adjusting it to not crave sugar. I should say Donuts and Coke and candy and brownies… not so much the other carbs like potatoes even though I do miss those. And one thing that I am going to focus on this time is that I can eat 20 g of healthy carbs. And I do love vegetables! A few post back I put links to food examples and they really do give a lot of good ideas!

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Mary

Great foods to eat that fill you up are: eggs with shredded cheese, brie, bacon, avocados, Kalamata olives, olive oil. I love to put coconut oil, truvia in my green tea. The healthy oils on food with salt and pepper are tasty and keep me full. Still can't cook eggs in bacon grease, add butter to my tea or I get a nauseated stomach likes the healthy oils. Good luck!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    @FitMom527 yesterday I did SO good and only ate 8 grams of carbs. I am trying to go as low as possible for a few days to kill the sugar monster! I am not supposed to have dairy due to sinus reasons but I am having a little bit right now!

I did buy the book yesterday in iBooks and reading fast and furious! It’s pretty good, a good reminder of all the healthy benefits!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    @FitMom527 thanks for all the information! This is why it is so nice to go through a challenge with others. I I am 60 years old and I have lost, 70 pounds. That menopause myth not been able to lose weight is simply not true. Diet and exercise can work for anybody even with medical issues. Sometimes it just takes longer.

@carlsoda you will have to share some of what you consider the best parts of that book as you read it. I also am trying to eat lower carbs to kill the sugar cravings.

So far I have done five days of prep. I even lost a little weight. Not in ketosis yet. Since Monday my husband lost 10 pounds just prepping along with me. I have lost a little over 4 pounds since Monday. Probably because of burning up my glycogen stores. Just proves that this way of eating does work. I really eat somewhat basic food. You can look at my diary for the last five days and see the type of food that I eat. For me it is simpler to eat some type of meat with moderate amounts of vegetables. For me eggs are the perfect keto food nutrition wise.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    I'm in :smile:
    I will weigh and take measurements tomorrow hoping to make it to my goal weight by 1st June

Awesome! Glad to have you join us! This is the best way that I have found to lose fat! You should make your goal if you stay committed! It'll be great to have your insight and support!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I hope everyone is ready for this challenge! I'm very excited about the fat melting off my body. :D One thing I would recommend would be meal prep. Stock up on your favorite fats, proteins, veggies and snacks for this week. My husband makes delicious smoked ribs and omelettes.

Good Luck Everyone!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Day 1/21 I hope everyone is ready for this challenge! Good luck! I have prepped for the food that I like to eat on this diet. Today I will be having steak with half of a small sweet potato which will be my carbs for the day. I will be making deviled eggs for the week as I like to eat them for my snack. I also have macadamia nuts for that purpose. I will probably have a bacon, pepper jack cheese, omelette for breakfast. Although I do 19:5 intermittent fasting and I do not eat until after 3 o'clock. It's still breakfast for me!

I think it would be nice to get to know each other. My name is Mary. I am 60 years old. I started on MFP on 10/17/2014. I hit my first goal on 4/30/2015. Then I started weightlifting and swinging the Kettlebell. I have been trying to do what they call recomposition since then. Which is building muscle and exchanging it for fat. That has to be done during a calorie surplus so I had a 10 pound weight gain window to work in. That is called the bulk cycle. I am starting my cut cycle today. I know that when I eat a keto diet fat melts off of my body very quickly. My goals for the next three weeks is to lose that 10 pounds of added fat which if I did it correctly will be only about 3 pounds of fat because the rest is hopefully added muscle. However, the other 7 pound of fat is what was on my body to begin with, that's the recomposition part and will hopefully result in a much more lower fat content. Very hard to explain! My husband is joining me on this challenge. It's great to have your significant other on board. If at all possible. Otherwise don't tell them and cook them what you are eating and they will love it! Who doesn't love bacon, steak, deviled eggs, pork ribs, macadamia nuts, cheese, olives, heavy whipping cream… I can go on forever! Good luck everyone! Let us know a little bit about yourselves.

Challenge Goals

1. Nutrition goals of Fat 75%, Protein 20%, Carbs 5%
    2. Log foods daily
    3. Exercise daily
    4. Move more sit less
    5. Lose 10 pounds

These are my goals for the month.
    Maybe you would like to post yours!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Tammy- it will be great getting to know you! Congratulations on the weight that you have already lost! If you stick with this I am sure that you will reach your goal!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Day 1/21 was an utter fail. I honestly think either A: I had keto flu bad or B: I was actually sick but ended up OD'ing on sugar yesterday. I just felt awful on Sunday and Monday. But today is a new day and back on track! Also, I had a decent night of sleep which should help too.

So my goals for this 21 day challenge are:
    • Keep to my macros: Fat: 105 grams Protein: 70 grams Carbs: 20 grams or less or (75%, 20%, 5%) I'm going to try and eat each meal with these %'s so I get it right :)
    • Log all foods
    • Exercise: walking, yoga and start jogging when the world unthaws
    • keep hydrated
    • I'd be happy with a 5 lb loss (since I'm in my 50's - weight loss is slower)

• fanncy0626
    Options
    @carlsoda your goals are fantastic! Don't worry about yesterday focus on one day at a time! This isn't easy that's why it's better to work with others. Sometimes those sugar cravings are very hard to beat down!

2/21 I had a good day yesterday. My husband grilled steaks for supper and also prepped sausage patties and hotdogs for the rest of the week on the grill yummy! If you check my diary out you will see that my food choices are very basic and I tend to eat the same foods. I look at it more as fueling my body to meet the macros, and the result is melting fat off my body so that is a winning situation. I also love this type of food. The reason I do a 21 day challenge is that I am a sugar addict!!! I have to tighten up my ship once in a while and this is it!

Good luck today everyone! I hope everyone is doing well!

Mary
  • carlsoda
    Options
    2/21 - yesterday was going strong until supper. I wanted a quick meal because I was trying to get my steps in as well as do some yoga. I had an all natural beef ring sausage in the fridge I just bought for the first time. Low carb too...so I figured I'll heat that up with a quick salad. Well it was disgusting. Flavor was so wrong and really really greasy. Ended up having a bowl of cereal with my salad. I am however planning my meal tonight NOW...I really do better when I head home after work with a concise plan on food. Always lessons to learn!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @carlsoda that happens sometimes. At least you had a bowl of cereal instead of a bag of potato chips! :D Great plan for today!

3/21 yesterday went well. I'm still having cravings for Coke and donuts though! I am seeing a downward movement on the scale. That always makes me happy. My plan for today is to make sure that I drink plenty of water. That is one of the hardest things for me to do.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary

• carlsoda
    Options
    @fanncy0626 - great job getting through the cravings. They are SOOOO hard to deal with sometimes. You are my inspiration!!

3/21 - slowly getting better and back on track. Yesterday was a pretty good day but I unfortunately broke a tooth on a piece of bone from my pork chop. It's not hurting and it's a tooth I was already told I need to get a crown, so oh well let's just get it fixed. Waiting until the dentist office opens in a few minutes to get an appt!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @carlsoda thanks! It looks as though you and I are the only two on this challenge now! Unless of course others are just lurking in the background B) Sorry to hear about your tooth! Pork chops sound delicious though!

4/21 today we are having venison steaks for supper! My husband has hit a new low. So far he has lost 10 pounds since we started prepping last week. The scale is still moving down for me as well. I've dropped another .8 of a pound for a total of 5.6 pounds. I know most of this is the burning up of my glycogen stores but it just tells me that this way of eating really works for me! I hope everyone else is having success!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2018
    Options
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    Hi I'm still in, doing good so far. I will weigh tomorrow morning.

Fantastic Tammy! Glad that you are still with us! Happy to hear that you're doing good so far! The first few days can be a little rocky sometimes. That's why it's so nice to have others along for the ride.

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tammy- congratulations on the loss! We're here for you this weekend if you need us! Weekends are always hard for me too. Food is a center of social events! Last weekend we brought macadamia nuts and beef jerky to the theater! Glad they didn't kick us out!

• carlsoda
    Options
    4/21 - wedding anniversary yesterday and new tooth (crown) but did pretty good. We did end up eating some gluten free pizza last night (thin crust and not too carby). After my 1.5 hours at the dentist yesterday afternoon I wasn't in the mood to cook...and it was our anniversary too :)

We're in for a big snow storm this weekend and calling for 10 - 18" of snow starting tonight. I decided to take some vacation time this afternoon and just go hit all my favorite grocery stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Thyme) and load up on keto friendly foods. I plan to do a lot of cooking over the weekend as long as we don't lose our electricity. Get totally prepared for easy meals I can heat up fast!

If you don't hear from me tomorrow or Sunday we lost electricity!
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @carlsoda Happy Anniversary! I'm glad that you were able to get your tooth fixed and still able to enjoy your anniversary meal! That's a lot of snow! What part of the country do you live in? I'm from Minnesota, Living in Arizona now, and my kids are telling me they are going to be getting snow this weekend. A little late in the year but not too unusual. Great idea to stock up on keto friendly foods! Have a great weekend and let us know how you do with the weather!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    5/21 The scale is still going down in the right direction! 4/10 of a pound today! Any movement downward is a victory! I am still having all sorts of cravings though. I just snacked on keto friendly foods at that time. My macros were a little bit heavy on protein yesterday like trying to put a puzzle together! The weekend is coming and that is usually a little bit more difficult for people because a lot of us get together with others during that time. Make sure that you carry snacks along with you that fit your diet. If you go somewhere bring a Keto friendly dish to share.

Good luck everyone!

Mary

• carlsoda
    Options
    5/21 days. Much better day yesterday but carbs a tad higher than they should be. I left work early and had fun running around to Whole Foods etc. I found Epic Pork Rinds there too which will be a good snack to have around!

Mary - I live just west of the cities. Close enough to drive in daily for work but far enough to get a break from all the busyness!