• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Great first 10k @lporter229
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    2/3 - Ran mellow dirt trails through old mining tunnels. 7.3mi, 419ft vertical. Pretty flat. Slow/easy pace: 9:56/mi, with headwind. Gusts to 50mph. "Am I making forward progress?" That lean tho. Oh ya, this morning while eating Cinnamon toast crunch cereal, I decided to sign up for Vegas Hot Chocolate 15k. Day after Blood Sweat and Beers trail race which I'm going all out. Should be a decent double. Fast recovery run / maybe tempo with negative splits. Or 15k death slog haha. Pray for cold and clouds.

2/1 - 60min boring gym cardio
    2/2 - 10 mi (trail) 1,043ft vert
    2/3 - 7.3mi (trail) 419ft vert
    Total: 17.3/100mi

Upcoming races
    2/25: Blood Sweat and Beers 10k (mtn)
    2/26: Vegas Hot Chocolate 15k
    4/29: REVEL Mt Charleston (HM)

I hope Blood Sweat and Beers is cooler than it was last year. Seems I always bring record high temps to Vegas with me. That was supposed to be my first marathon, but I dropped out somewhere just before halfway. The volunteers at the water station said they didn't expect anyone to come from the direction I arrived from. I was pretty lost. Decided to drop out before I fell down the trail. The Hot Chocolate 15k the next day was pretty fun, though - even though it was 90 degrees. I was pretty excited that there was a backup race in case the marathon fell through for me. And since it did...
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    So all in all, the evidence suggests that the course was accurate and my time was firm, but of course it still bothers me that it measures short. Even though nobody else gets why this bothers me, I am sure you guys understand!

I understand, but still hope you can be talked off of this ledge. The gadget on your wrist does the best it can, and so do the guys who certify the course. Both are subject to a number of variables, but barring an extreme foul-up a certified course is the more accurate of the two. Why let a small thing like this bother you? You had a great race, beat your goal by a minute, and conquered some crappy cold conditions to boot. Be happy! :)

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    2/1 Zumba
    2/2 7 miles
    2/3 6 miles
    2/4 Zumba + strength training

@greenolivetree and @MNLittleFinn I'm joining your tree-dismantling party, that's my project for this weekend too! Lol

Tomorrow brings my 9 mile long run, which will round out my first of two 28 mile weeks, and then after that I'll be hitting the 30's for the first time ever! Woot! I'm really trying to focus on getting some strength training in, and stretching and foam rolling after every run and workout. Since I'll be building so much mileage this year, I really really really want to avoid injury as best I can!

Total: 13/116
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @greenolivetree, @MNLittleFinn and @garygse - My daughter lives in Seattle and they still have their lights up - not sure about the tree. I was surprised at how many houses and businesses did too. She said it makes it so much brighter and less dreary when it is so dark, rainy and overcast and many keep them up through February!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    2/3 - Ran mellow dirt trails through old mining tunnels. 7.3mi, 419ft vertical. Pretty flat. Slow/easy pace: 9:56/mi, with headwind. Gusts to 50mph. "Am I making forward progress?" That lean tho. Oh ya, this morning while eating Cinnamon toast crunch cereal, I decided to sign up for Vegas Hot Chocolate 15k. Day after Blood Sweat and Beers trail race which I'm going all out. Should be a decent double. Fast recovery run / maybe tempo with negative splits. Or 15k death slog haha. Pray for cold and clouds.

Total: 17.3/100mi

Upcoming races

I hope Blood Sweat and Beers is cooler than it was last year. Seems I always bring record high temps to Vegas with me. That was supposed to be my first marathon, but I dropped out somewhere just before halfway. The volunteers at the water station said they didn't expect anyone to come from the direction I arrived from. I was pretty lost. Decided to drop out before I fell down the trail. The Hot Chocolate 15k the next day was pretty fun, though - even though it was 90 degrees. I was pretty excited that there was a backup race in case the marathon fell through for me. And since it did...

@autumnblade75 Ya me too! But I live in Vegas so I get to heat train alot. It definitely effects me. But the more I run in it (temps above 80) the more I get used to it. 100f+ always feels like death haha. I did a night race in June and it was 108f still ridiculously hot. I was at Hot Chocolate last yr too. Ran quickly and it wasn't to bad. Pray for cold n clouds haha. Hell of a choice for a first marathon! Bada$$
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    2/4 - TM tempo / progressive run. 4.32mi, 7.1 - 8.6mph, finishing at 6:58/mi pace (8:09/mi avg). New shoes, Brooks Launch 3. Felt awesome! Like speed shoes running on clouds. Buying more today.

2/4 - 4.32mi TM (8:09/mi)
    Total: 21.62/100mi

Upcoming races
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    All you people with your Christmas trees still up - are you telling me that bad things WON'T happen if you leave the stuff up beyond Twelfth Night?

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    All you people with your Christmas trees still up - are you telling me that bad things WON'T happen if you leave the stuff up beyond Twelfth Night?
    I've never bought a tree, but I know that in my parents village the date for the collection of the christmas trees is usually the 12th January - missing that and having to keep the tree until March when the local composting facility opens their gates again would be a bad thing. Also, I imagine it goes dry and brittle and loses all its needles in the living room. Also a bad thing. So leaving it up until now sounds doubly risky to me ;-)

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1 FEB: 2 miles
    4 FEB: 2 miles

4 of 40, 0 of 8 cross training

Did an easy-paced out and back on a gravel path near home. I planned to go up to 4 miles if I felt ok, but decided to pull the plug midway. Still not over this cold bug, and didn't see much reason to push it today. All in all, nice to be outside and moving a bit. It's sunny, breezy, and about 25F here today. Planning a gym workout tomorrow morning.

Hey, if you like running podcasts, here is a new one to check out. I listened to the first episode today. Carrie Tollefson has been doing video mini-casts for a long while, but just a few weeks ago the C Tolle Run production transitioned to an audio-only longer form podcast. It's on iTunes. Carrie gets great guests and always does interesting interviews, so this should be fun. The first episode was with triathlon gold medalist Gwen Jorgensen.

Have a great rest of the weekend, all. Happy running!

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Feb 01     6.5T       6.5
    Feb 02     4.7T      11.2
    Feb 03     5.6       16.8

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Congrats on your distance PR and no pain.

Congrats on your races @garygse and @lporter229

@Shanaber careful with that heart.

@JessicaMcB Sorry about the 2 deaths in your husband's family.