February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Just booked a trip for my Spring break in April with my daughter. It's only 10 days but we are going to London and Paris! She's been to both because she worked in London one summer, but I have not been to either of those cities. SO excited. She is training for a marathon so we will be running a lot too!
    @ddmom0811 So fun! Sounds like a great trip with your daughter
    I'm trying to figure out what I want for my post marathon treats. Yesterday, I saw videos on FB for a waffle s'more and pancakes with a cinnamon swirls and cream cheese icing. Mmmm... Those are very high on my list! Lol
    @BeeerRunner Whenever I run a big race like a marathon with other members of my family, we always make sure we scope out all the restaurants on the course to see what looks good as a post-race celebration meal. It gives me a bit of extra incentive but sometimes smelling all the breakfast places can almost be torture!
    So, someone in my running group found a Running Cruise! Its next Feb, on a Royal Caribbean 7 night cruise, that hits 6 islands, and includes a mix of 5ks, 10ks, and a 4 miler. A bunch of us are seriously considering doing it, and I'm pretty sure that I def will no matter what, since it combines two of my favorite things - running and travel! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any running-themed group travel experiences to share? I'm pretty darn excited about it, lol
    @KatieJane83 That sounds amazing! I've never been on a cruise before, but that sounds like my kind of vacation. My mom and step-dad are trying to run half/full marathons in as many states as they can and I sometimes join them, so I've actually run a lot of races out of town (actually, all my marathons have been out of town). It's a really fun way to get to see a new place, but the trips that I have enjoyed the most have been when I've allowed some extra time to do some other things than just the race and prep/recovery. I just read through your post with the schedule and it sounds like you've got a nice balance between short races and other activities...should be a blast!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @BeeerRunner Thank you! I'm doing the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K....it's my first race since I started running back in July so I'm pretty excited about it!

Ooh, first races are fun! Enjoy!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @BeeerRunner Thank you! I'm doing the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K....it's my first race since I started running back in July so I'm pretty excited about it!

I did it last year. It was cold!!!! It's well organised. Good luck!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thank you @KatieJane83 and @Elise4270. I don't mind the cold so much...it's when there's an icy wind that seems to go straight through you that I hate!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    So, someone in my running group found a Running Cruise! Its next Feb, on a Royal Caribbean 7 night cruise, that hits 6 islands, and includes a mix of 5ks, 10ks, and a 4 miler. A bunch of us are seriously considering doing it, and I'm pretty sure that I def will no matter what, since it combines two of my favorite things - running and travel! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any running-themed group travel experiences to share? I'm pretty darn excited about it, lol

@KatieJane83
    I've never been on a cruise, but that sounds super fun! This summer, I have my 1st travel race planned. Well, we're going camping in Colorado, and I found a trail race that borders our trip dates, and talked my husband into letting me do the half while he and the kiddo do the 5K race. It's at the end of the trip so I hope to be acclimated to the elevation by then. :)

Yeah, I'm really getting into the whole 'destination race/run' idea. I'm doing my first in May: will be doing the Tinkerbell HM in Disneyland, spending a couple days in the parks and getting to visit Disney Animation Studios (have a connection with someone who works there who offered to get me in, *squeeeee*!), and then meeting up with my parents in San Francisco for a few days, while they're on their vacation, lol. Last summer I went on a couple short runs while doing a Glacier Nat'l Park trip, just to say I ran there, haha. And it's good that you're thinking about the elevation because I def felt the difference when running in Montana at ~4,500 ft, vs where I live, at about ~240 ft, lol.

I've done two cruises in the past and enjoyed both of them, so I really like the idea of this. This is what the running/activity schedule looks like:
    - 5K Friendship Run/Walk in San Juan.
    - 5K/10K Run/Walk in St. Thomas along one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
    - 4 Mile traditional Hash Run/Walk and party in St. Kitts.
    - 5K or 10K Run/Walk in the picturesque island of Antigua.
    - A day off of running, join one of our private group excursions, including a Hike in the lush rain forest surrounding the breathtaking volcanic mountains, kayaking, and more in St. Lucia.
    - 60-Minute Pirate Amazing Race and Beach Party in Bridgetown, Barbados.
    - Rise and Shine with Coach Jenny’s Deck Run/Walk and Stretch and John “the Penguin” Bingham’s hilarious talk on running, walking and living a healthy life.
    - Celebrate your active vacation and life with your new friends at the Awards Party!

I like that none of the runs/races are super long, so it will still feel like a vacation, lol

That sounds so awesome!!! I'm not sure I could think of a more amazing holiday!

Yeah, I'm pumped! Just bummed that I have to wait a whole year for it, lol.

ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Just booked a trip for my Spring break in April with my daughter. It's only 10 days but we are going to London and Paris! She's been to both because she worked in London one summer, but I have not been to either of those cities. SO excited. She is training for a marathon so we will be running a lot too!
    @ddmom0811 So fun! Sounds like a great trip with your daughter
    I'm trying to figure out what I want for my post marathon treats. Yesterday, I saw videos on FB for a waffle s'more and pancakes with a cinnamon swirls and cream cheese icing. Mmmm... Those are very high on my list! Lol
    @BeeerRunner Whenever I run a big race like a marathon with other members of my family, we always make sure we scope out all the restaurants on the course to see what looks good as a post-race celebration meal. It gives me a bit of extra incentive but sometimes smelling all the breakfast places can almost be torture!
    @KatieJane83 That sounds amazing! I've never been on a cruise before, but that sounds like my kind of vacation. My mom and step-dad are trying to run half/full marathons in as many states as they can and I sometimes join them, so I've actually run a lot of races out of town (actually, all my marathons have been out of town). It's a really fun way to get to see a new place, but the trips that I have enjoyed the most have been when I've allowed some extra time to do some other things than just the race and prep/recovery. I just read through your post with the schedule and it sounds like you've got a nice balance between short races and other activities...should be a blast!

Yeah, I like making little mini trips out of races. Did that with the Adirondack Half this past September, and will do it for the Bay of Fundy Half in June. My first full marathon too, will be a weekend trip to Philly, and I'm thinking now too of doing the Navy-Air Force Half in September in D.C. Would be another mini-weekend trip from here in Rockland County, NY.

And the schedule of the cruise really appealed to me! Especially that it's all already organized, just book it and everything is included. Makes for a nice, easy trip!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I used to get ‘chase’ dreams a lot (always set in my primary school for some reason), and had exactly the same sensation of running in slow motion. The trick I learnt, is to bend your knees and pick up your feet so you are kneeling above the ground at knee level, and then you’ll be able to fly around at a better speed.
    So I have to ask What was in your Evening Snack that you could fly ?? ;) Were they Special Brownies or other Organic Medicinal Additives?
    If it works, I may invest in some KT tape for myself // This brings up the thought of leg hair and tape, which brings up the thought of shaving an inch wide strip on my leg to prevent hair pulling.....Oh the crazy off dsy thoughts I have.!
    @MNLittleFinn Oh the crazy things runners will do. Just get a wax it won't hurt and it won't look funny when you are walking around in shorts. Actually I am part gorilla and I do the Grip Rip & Strip when I pull KT Tape. The worst part is actually the Fleshy area's, ie back of the calf/back of the knee etc. The shin is no big deal.
    @RespectTheKitty Oh That is definitely a Loud/Visible Life Saving vest.
    @BeeerRunner Nice looking Hound Dog / Running Buddy.
  • cchen2015
    cchen2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    2/1/17----7.2miles
    2/2/17----7.8miles

exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Missed meeting my goal for the last 3 months. So shooting for a conservative 30 miles and I hope that I smoke it!

2/2....3.76 miles on the TM....sprints mixed with 4 minute recovery...average max heart rate at 88%. Attended Spinning class first...and then talked myself into running on the TM. I left work late and only got 5 hours of sleep, but still felt pretty good.

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Longboat Key, FL for our 10th wedding anniversary in June. I still don't have approval for vacation yet. I scoped out a beautiful condo to rent, and its still available although I don't know for how long.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - Love the sea turtle!!
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Feb 1st - 2mi completed
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Feb: 55 miles running.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    11th February : Mid Lancs Rossall Cross Country 4 miles :
    26th February : Stanley Park 10K :
    18th March : Cartmel 5K trail race :

1st: 0 miles, - MTD 0
    2nd: 3.42 miles, hill training with my running club - MTD 3.42

Reading some of the posts about local hill and mountains made me smile. Here on the the coast in the U.K. NW we have very little elevation - and my 'hill training' is up and down an artificially created landmark. :D:D
    The niggle in my hip and thigh is responding well to an enormous cut back in miles. I'm 'enthusiastically' stretching and rolling. I don't think I'm helped by Grandma duties preventing me going to Pilates at the moment.
  • petete101
    petete101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in, 50 miles in Feb!

blk-exercise.png

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just a very small run this morning to help keep my legs feeling fresh.

03 - 2.24 miles

Total: 2.24 / 125
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I did an easy 3 miles on the treadmill and was really struggling. I've been eating at maintenance (i.e. blowing calorie goal) for several days of the last 2 weeks and ended up just eating about 2-3 times maintenance yesterday as well. Going to make today a rest day, then hiking tomorrow, and will see how I feel on Sun.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    2/1- 8.1
    2/2- REST
    2/3- 4.23

Total: 12.33

Monthly goals:
    Mileage goal: 150
    Real Goal: Stay healthy enough to get into the swing of real marathon training.

Today's notes: 4 easy miles in my new shoes. It was a really good run, other than the -10F temps. Leg felt good the whole time and now, 2 hours later, it still feels pretty good. Not sure if it's just be healing, or the KT tape helping out.

Note on my new shoes: I LOVE my new New Balance 1500! At 6mm, they are lower drop than my other road shoes (10mm average), but slightly more drop than my trail shoes. They are now my lightest pair of shoes at about an ounce lighter than my Pegasus 23's. The thing is,they feel like the difference is even greater than that.

I noticed my running was a bit different wearing the new shoes. Normally I end up looking down more, so my gaze is like 15 feet ahead of me. Today I noticed, when I was paying attention, that when I was running, I was more upright. Not sure if that's a result of the lighter lower drop shoes, or just a fluke from today. Either way, I'm looking forward to taking these shoes on progressive longer runs, to see how far I can comfortably run in them. Secret hope is that I'll feel good enough to take them on a 20 miler, and then my marathon, they felt that good this morning.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    2/11 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM