February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So, someone in my running group found a Running Cruise! Its next Feb, on a Royal Caribbean 7 night cruise, that hits 6 islands, and includes a mix of 5ks, 10ks, and a 4 miler. A bunch of us are seriously considering doing it, and I'm pretty sure that I def will no matter what, since it combines two of my favorite things - running and travel! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any running-themed group travel experiences to share? I'm pretty darn excited about it, lol

@KatieJane83
    I've never been on a cruise, but that sounds super fun! This summer, I have my 1st travel race planned. Well, we're going camping in Colorado, and I found a trail race that borders our trip dates, and talked my husband into letting me do the half while he and the kiddo do the 5K race. It's at the end of the trip so I hope to be acclimated to the elevation by then. :)

Yeah, I'm really getting into the whole 'destination race/run' idea. I'm doing my first in May: will be doing the Tinkerbell HM in Disneyland, spending a couple days in the parks and getting to visit Disney Animation Studios (have a connection with someone who works there who offered to get me in, *squeeeee*!), and then meeting up with my parents in San Francisco for a few days, while they're on their vacation, lol. Last summer I went on a couple short runs while doing a Glacier Nat'l Park trip, just to say I ran there, haha. And it's good that you're thinking about the elevation because I def felt the difference when running in Montana at ~4,500 ft, vs where I live, at about ~240 ft, lol.

I've done two cruises in the past and enjoyed both of them, so I really like the idea of this. This is what the running/activity schedule looks like:
    - 5K Friendship Run/Walk in San Juan.
    - 5K/10K Run/Walk in St. Thomas along one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
    - 4 Mile traditional Hash Run/Walk and party in St. Kitts.
    - 5K or 10K Run/Walk in the picturesque island of Antigua.
    - A day off of running, join one of our private group excursions, including a Hike in the lush rain forest surrounding the breathtaking volcanic mountains, kayaking, and more in St. Lucia.
    - 60-Minute Pirate Amazing Race and Beach Party in Bridgetown, Barbados.
    - Rise and Shine with Coach Jenny’s Deck Run/Walk and Stretch and John “the Penguin” Bingham’s hilarious talk on running, walking and living a healthy life.
    - Celebrate your active vacation and life with your new friends at the Awards Party!

I like that none of the runs/races are super long, so it will still feel like a vacation, lol
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options

exercise.png

1/2 - 6k - Riverside trail
    2/2 - 5.4k trails (ouch ..was a struggle...so had to log the .4 )

Total - 11.4k

Planned races
    Round the Houses 10k 9/4
    Edinburgh Half Marathon 28/5
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Crazy dream last night, or rather this morning (I dreamed this after turning off my alarm and over-sleeping).... In the dream I went for a walk, and I came up on this guy walking and talking on his cell phone. He suggested I go around him, so I started running really fast and I heard him say "You suck" as I passed him. LOL But then the funny part was, I didn't get far and running became super hard, like I was running through molasses. I got slower and slower. Then I had to run over pine needles and at that point I was almost going backwards I was so slow. Ha! So I finally made it to a corner and there was a family on bikes. Apparently there was a spare bike so I got on. But I couldn't ride the bike any better than I could run! I ran into the kid's wheel and he wasn't too happy with me.

I used to get ‘chase’ dreams a lot (always set in my primary school for some reason), and had exactly the same sensation of running in slow motion.

The trick I learnt, is to bend your knees and pick up your feet so you are kneeling above the ground at knee level, and then you’ll be able to fly around at a better speed.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Back from PT. The thoughts are that, with more ankle movement and calf flexibility there's some more strain on my shin bone. PT played around with my shin and calf, and there was zero pain when he pressed on the areas I told him about.

PT recommended cutting back on my stretching since I'm in a good spot and just need to maintain. He also recommended more calf and ankle exercises to strengthen the ares. Finally, he put a big Ole strip of KT tape on my shin to help relieve stress. If it works, I may invest in some KT tape for myself since it will only stay on so long. Thst brings up the thought of leg hair and tape, which brings up the thought of shaving an inch wide strip on my leg to prevent hair pulling.....Oh the crazy off dsy thoughts I have.

Hope all ya'all are having a great day!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    So, someone in my running group found a Running Cruise! Its next Feb, on a Royal Caribbean 7 night cruise, that hits 6 islands, and includes a mix of 5ks, 10ks, and a 4 miler. A bunch of us are seriously considering doing it, and I'm pretty sure that I def will no matter what, since it combines two of my favorite things - running and travel! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any running-themed group travel experiences to share? I'm pretty darn excited about it, lol

@KatieJane83
    I've never been on a cruise, but that sounds super fun! This summer, I have my 1st travel race planned. Well, we're going camping in Colorado, and I found a trail race that borders our trip dates, and talked my husband into letting me do the half while he and the kiddo do the 5K race. It's at the end of the trip so I hope to be acclimated to the elevation by then. :)

Yeah, I'm really getting into the whole 'destination race/run' idea. I'm doing my first in May: will be doing the Tinkerbell HM in Disneyland, spending a couple days in the parks and getting to visit Disney Animation Studios (have a connection with someone who works there who offered to get me in, *squeeeee*!), and then meeting up with my parents in San Francisco for a few days, while they're on their vacation, lol. Last summer I went on a couple short runs while doing a Glacier Nat'l Park trip, just to say I ran there, haha. And it's good that you're thinking about the elevation because I def felt the difference when running in Montana at ~4,500 ft, vs where I live, at about ~240 ft, lol.

I've done two cruises in the past and enjoyed both of them, so I really like the idea of this. This is what the running/activity schedule looks like:
    - 5K/10K Run/Walk in St. Thomas along one of the world’s most beautiful beaches.
    - A day off of running, join one of our private group excursions, including a Hike in the lush rain forest surrounding the breathtaking volcanic mountains, kayaking, and more in St. Lucia.
    - Rise and Shine with Coach Jenny’s Deck Run/Walk and Stretch and John “the Penguin” Bingham’s hilarious talk on running, walking and living a healthy life.
    - Celebrate your active vacation and life with your new friends at the Awards Party!

I like that none of the runs/races are super long, so it will still feel like a vacation, lol

@KatieJane83 I was in Glacier NP last summer too...early August! I was too chicken to run in fear that I'd see a bear and it would chase me! We did see one hiking: a huge male black bear. I had my bear spray at the ready. We were yelling and clapping as he kept slowly walking towards us. He finally went up a hill to our right. We just turned and went back. Never made it to Avalanche Lake. We go to the mountains every summer and I've never seen a bear on the trails before. It was scary, but since there was a happy ending, it was pretty cool. My 8 year old was with us and he thought it was pretty awesome.

I did a trail run in CO Springs on the way back. I totally felt the elevation there. Plus, I hadn't been running for about 5 days. We're going to CO this year, so I plan to trail run as much as possible. Lol!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Wait, in my dream I'm supposed to focus on picking up my feet to knee level??? I don't know if I can control that. LOL

@MNLittleFinn JUST FYI.....KT tape is addictive :-p I guess it's a benefit to being a woman and not having to deal with leg hair when taping :-D
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Something else I've noticed about the new meds... it seems to be raising my heart rate a little. My RHR used to be in the upper 40s/low 50s and now it's in the upper 50s. When I'm sitting at my desk it's now in the 60s, and when I'm walking it can get up to 100+. It hasn't gone too high while I'm running, still in the 140s/low 150s, so I'm not too worried about that, although I did notice last night that I got out of breath more easily when I really pushed it (speeds over 5.5 mph). I don't think it's too big of a deal since my bpm is still well in the normal range, but I'm a little disappointed because I was so proud of my really low runner's heart rate. :smile: Of course, it doesn't help that my Garmin has a heart rate monitor so I can obsess about my bpm all day.

Can't remember what you said you were taking but when I started on anti-depressants a few years back my heart rate also increased quite a lot - settled back down again after a couple of weeks so hopefully yours will too!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Something else I've noticed about the new meds... it seems to be raising my heart rate a little. My RHR used to be in the upper 40s/low 50s and now it's in the upper 50s. When I'm sitting at my desk it's now in the 60s, and when I'm walking it can get up to 100+. It hasn't gone too high while I'm running, still in the 140s/low 150s, so I'm not too worried about that, although I did notice last night that I got out of breath more easily when I really pushed it (speeds over 5.5 mph). I don't think it's too big of a deal since my bpm is still well in the normal range, but I'm a little disappointed because I was so proud of my really low runner's heart rate. :smile: Of course, it doesn't help that my Garmin has a heart rate monitor so I can obsess about my bpm all day.

Can't remember what you said you were taking but when I started on anti-depressants a few years back my heart rate also increased quite a lot - settled back down again after a couple of weeks so hopefully yours will too!

Oh, this is good to hear. Hopefully my heart rate will go back down and I can brag about being in the 40s again.
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Ok...my totally awesome techno geek brother just showed me this "race display" you can download onto your Garmin!!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/pacing-races-garmin.html

I'm going to test it out this weekend, but has anyone tried this? The cool thing is in a race, you can click the lap button on your watch and it'll set the mileage to the closest mile. I know my mileage always shows much higher because of all the weaving in and out of people I have to do. So, this data screen setting gets rid of the extra mileage or distance missed due to bridges, over passes, etc and sets it to the closest mile. You don't have to do it with each mile either.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Ok...my totally awesome techno geek brother just showed me this "race display" you can download onto your Garmin!!

I'm going to test it out this weekend, but has anyone tried this? The cool thing is in a race, you can click the lap button on your watch and it'll set the mileage to the closest mile. I know my mileage always shows much higher because of all the weaving in and out of people I have to do. So, this data screen setting gets rid of the extra mileage or distance missed due to bridges, over passes, etc and sets it to the closest mile. You don't have to do it with each mile either.

That looks really cool! I'm such a data geek, but I hate waiting for screens to change to see the stats I want, and the mile correction looks pretty cool too.
  • KatieJane83
    Options

That is sweet. Definitely downloading it onto my Garmin when I get home. My first HM I kept doing all this mental arithmetic to try to ballpark my finish time and make sure I was on pace to beat my goal, lol.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    4.25/65
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

@KatieJane83

@KatieJane83 I was in Glacier NP last summer too...early August! I was too chicken to run in fear that I'd see a bear and it would chase me! We did see one hiking: a huge male black bear. I had my bear spray at the ready. We were yelling and clapping as he kept slowly walking towards us. He finally went up a hill to our right. We just turned and went back. Never made it to Avalanche Lake. We go to the mountains every summer and I've never seen a bear on the trails before. It was scary, but since there was a happy ending, it was pretty cool. My 8 year old was with us and he thought it was pretty awesome.

I did a trail run in CO Springs on the way back. I totally felt the elevation there. Plus, I hadn't been running for about 5 days. We're going to CO this year, so I plan to trail run as much as possible. Lol!

Ha, small world! I was there in mid-June. Didn't make it to Avalanche Lake on that trip, but had been there in a previous year. We lucked out because the Logan's Pass-stretch of Going to the Sun Highway was still closed due to snow for our entire trip, until it opened up on our very last day!

Here I am before my first run out there. I strapped a can of bear spray onto my phone holder arm band! :D Never actually saw any bears though!

yq1pjvx461ao.jpg

@KatieJane83 That is an awesome pic! Logans Pass is one of my fave hikes!! My son absolutely loved that hike and was so excited to see all the mountain goats. We had hardly any snow in August. We went in July of 2006, and there was still a ton of snow.

I just got one of those Camelbak running vests, and my bear spray fits perfect in one of the front pockets!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

@KatieJane83

Ha, small world! I was there in mid-June. Didn't make it to Avalanche Lake on that trip, but had been there in a previous year. We lucked out because the Logan's Pass-stretch of Going to the Sun Highway was still closed due to snow for our entire trip, until it opened up on our very last day!

Here I am before my first run out there. I strapped a can of bear spray onto my phone holder arm band! :D Never actually saw any bears though!

yq1pjvx461ao.jpg

I'm signed up for the Glacier National Park half marathon 6/24/17. I've been to Glacier before (one of my pics here on MFP is in front of Avalanche Lake even) and plan to backpack after the HM. But the race itself is on roads outside of the park and I expect there to be sufficient traffic control and support to deal with any grizzlies. But yea... I'll take bear spray when backpacking alone in the heaviest brown bear area in the lower 48.
  • KatieJane83
    Options

@KatieJane83

yq1pjvx461ao.jpg

I'm signed up for the Glacier National Park half marathon 6/24/17. I've been to Glacier before (one of my pics here on MFP is in front of Avalanche Lake even) and plan to backpack after the HM. But the race itself is on roads outside of the park and I expect there to be sufficient traffic control and support to deal with any grizzlies. But yea... I'll take bear spray when backpacking alone in the heaviest brown bear area in the lower 48.

Now that sounds like an awesome race to do! And yeah, when in doubt, bring bear spray, lol
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    I'm getting a little annoyed here. I've tried to upload photos from two different computers and the Chrome app on my phone, and every time I get the message "The file failed to upload." GRR! Why is this happening? Has this happened to anyone else?
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    I'm getting a little annoyed here. I've tried to upload photos from two different computers and the Chrome app on my phone, and every time I get the message "The file failed to upload." GRR! Why is this happening? Has this happened to anyone else?

Maybe your file size is too large?
  • KatieJane83
    edited February 2017
    Options
    2/1 Zumba
    2/2 General Aerobic Run -- 7 miles

7/116

• RespectTheKitty
    edited February 2017
    Options

Maybe your file size is too large?

I didn't think about that. I'll try reducing the size of the image.

EDIT: That's exactly what the problem was. Thank you, @KatieJane83!