February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm in! After marathon recovery in November, holidays and travel in December and being sick in January, I really hope I'll finally manage 200km again.
    The first 5.6km are already done :smile:

---
    can I still count it as a 14 mile run if I stop at the running store at mile 12? I never get to go to the running store, since it's 60 miles away, and I'll have a chance to when I'm on my little weekend trip next week
    @MNLittleFinn For me it would depend on how long the stop is - do you know what you need and just want to stop quickly to get it, or are you planning on spending an hour browsing the shelves? In that case I might turn it into 13+2 instead of 12+2 to ease my guilty conscience :wink:
    Another thing to consider: I wouldn't go shopping for running clothes directly after 12mi of running - trying on clothes all sweaty without a shower would be a bit ick...

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,Total
    1/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.1
    2/2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,8.1

exercise.png[\img]
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    And here's a bit of motivation for starting the month: The running desk calendar I ordered a while ago arrived yesterday, so I spent the evening going through all January sheets.
    These were my favourites:

xzia9zmd7r9b.jpg

wurbnz2fkpni.jpg

Love the "will run for treats!" Lol!

I'm trying to figure out what I want for my post marathon treats. Yesterday, I saw videos on FB for a waffle s'more and pancakes with a cinnamon swirls and cream cheese icing. Mmmm... Those are very high on my list! Lol
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    February Running Challenge:

2/1 10 miles

Goal: 10 of 135

Upcoming Races:

Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered)
    XTERRA ATX Trail Run (21K) Apr 23 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)

Did the last 10 mile run on a weekday in my marathon running plan! Those are rough!! I have my last tough weekend of running coming up. Thankfully, they've taken the rain out of the forecast. I was not wanting to do 20 in the rain.

We received the “gentle lead” I ordered for my dog this week. I've got her used to it and have taken her on some walks this week without getting my arm yanked out of its socket. We even saw a cat yesterday, and I didn't get pulled all around. I think I'll take her on a short run during lunch today to see how it goes.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Date Distance Total To Goal (55)
    2/1 3.0 Mi 3.0 52.0 Mi
    2/2 Yoga

I am a little nervous because this month is a big jump in mileage over last month but I also missed a week and half last month with illness.

Yesterday was a little rough with to many treadmill miles and not enough on the road. Cleveland Half Marathon here I come!

March - Need to find a 10k
    May 20 - Cleveland Marathon 8K (Maybe)
    May 21 - Cleveland Marathon Half
    June 10 - Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k
    June 11 - Run and Ride Cedar Point Half Marathon (Back up Plan) or Quarter Marathon
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    2/11 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    [code]

On the treadmill tonight I learned, the hard way, that there is nothing good on TV for the half hour after 'Jeopardy!'

I know!!!

@ddmom0811 - Sounds like an awesome spring break!

@_nikkiwolf_ - I love that calendar!

@BEERRUNNER - Hooray for heading into your taper and hooray for running with the pup!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-5.2 miles +1 mile with Stella
    2/2-1.2 miles with Stella +

I wore my HRM for the first time in ages last night. Avg HR for the run was 134, which is the lower end of zone 2 and the pace was 8:55. This feels like progress to me, although it was hard to judge because of the hills in the route. The final mile of my run starts with 0.52 miles of a 180 ft climb. My HR got up to 165 on that hill, but I know it used to get higher, and it was back down to 137 very quickly. On the flats I was averaging about 8:45 pace and HR was 136-138 compared with last fall on the bike path when I was running about 8:55 pace to keep my HR under 140. Of course, the temperature difference is also a huge factor, but I was pleased with the numbers anyway.

I did a short run with Stella when I got home last night and another short one this morning. Looking forward to a nice 7-8 miles tonight.

exercise.png
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Struggling for running motivation now I'm not aiming at a specific marathon and just couldn't get myself ready to go out for a run today. Did manage to stay on the treadmill for a whole 20minutes before boredom kicked in today though, but really need to get myself outside again for some longer runs.

There's a few decent HMs coming up but even those are not exciting me - maybe I'll find and follow a marathon plan anyway as used to love the challenge of extending my long runs.

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40 this month.
    exercise.png
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Tried to push myself a little bit more. It's really inspiring to read everyone's post here!

FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 7/50 km
    2/2/17 Run 7 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow walk 3 km
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Another non-running day for me. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Crazy dream last night, or rather this morning (I dreamed this after turning off my alarm and over-sleeping).... In the dream I went for a walk, and I came up on this guy walking and talking on his cell phone. He suggested I go around him, so I started running really fast and I heard him say "You suck" as I passed him. LOL But then the funny part was, I didn't get far and running became super hard, like I was running through molasses. I got slower and slower. Then I had to run over pine needles and at that point I was almost going backwards I was so slow. Ha! So I finally made it to a corner and there was a family on bikes. Apparently there was a spare bike so I got on. But I couldn't ride the bike any better than I could run! I ran into the kid's wheel and he wasn't too happy with me.

My husband woke me up at this point and I swear my body was still in "sleep paralysis" and I had the hardest time walking and showering. Took me 30 mins to stop stumbling around. Not a good start to my day! But I'm fine now :D

@dkabambe Sounds like you've hit a slump. Sometimes a change of running location helps, or different music, or try a different workout (I don't know what your normal running workouts are - I see you've already done some intervals - but maybe something different like hill repeats. I don't know why but hill repeats make miles pass quicker for me!)

@_nikkiwolf_ What calendar is that??? It's cute!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    So, someone in my running group found a Running Cruise! Its next Feb, on a Royal Caribbean 7 night cruise, that hits 6 islands, and includes a mix of 5ks, 10ks, and a 4 miler. A bunch of us are seriously considering doing it, and I'm pretty sure that I def will no matter what, since it combines two of my favorite things - running and travel! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any running-themed group travel experiences to share? I'm pretty darn excited about it, lol

@KatieJane83
    I've never been on a cruise, but that sounds super fun! This summer, I have my 1st travel race planned. Well, we're going camping in Colorado, and I found a trail race that borders our trip dates, and talked my husband into letting me do the half while he and the kiddo do the 5K race. It's at the end of the trip so I hope to be acclimated to the elevation by then. :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Woke up this morning (late, ugh) and still had a bit of soreness in the area where my hamstring meets my glute on the right side. I have a run planned for tonight since I won't be able to run on Friday. Hoping that the discomfort eases up before then, if not, then I'll just take it easy and not do too many miles. It's not terrible, just a little uncomfortable.

Something else I've noticed about the new meds... it seems to be raising my heart rate a little. My RHR used to be in the upper 40s/low 50s and now it's in the upper 50s. When I'm sitting at my desk it's now in the 60s, and when I'm walking it can get up to 100+. It hasn't gone too high while I'm running, still in the 140s/low 150s, so I'm not too worried about that, although I did notice last night that I got out of breath more easily when I really pushed it (speeds over 5.5 mph). I don't think it's too big of a deal since my bpm is still well in the normal range, but I'm a little disappointed because I was so proud of my really low runner's heart rate. :smile: Of course, it doesn't help that my Garmin has a heart rate monitor so I can obsess about my bpm all day.