WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Glad that y’all have enjoyed the jokes.

Queenegreene – My DYS used to have a sleep number bed; but, it was not set up by them. He hated it. Now has a new mattress that will sit up on the platform (with drawers) that his DFnL made. He had made one for DDnL#2; so now they have one at both houses. He loves his new mattress and now they don’t roll over to the middle of it.
    I don’t ‘think’ there is any rules about quote, cartoons, jokes to share on FB; but, I do think you’d have to have the permission of someone whose photo might be put there without them knowing it. I think they will censer somethings, those that are offensive.

Lanette – I know that I get a print-out of my trip to one of my MDs and there are changes on my Rx’s that have not been changed. I know that I will have to go and make sure that these changes are made to my chart. Then maybe it will be corrected. My typed ‘medical history’ (all the things I can remember being told to me by Mother) is typed up and kept current and when I go to my MDs and they start asking for ‘medical history’ or ‘medications’ that I take, I just had them a copy. I keep one in my purse, one in the glove compartment of my car; one in Louis’ truck compartment and there is always one in the bag that I keep my medications it (for the use by EMTs who might be called to my home).

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 4X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay at or under calorie goal.

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    I love this way of eating! This week I lost 2.4 pounds! For a grand total of 5.4 pounds during the two-week time. This is the first day of the third and last week of this challenge. Good luck everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Lenora, yes the "family history" is also in my "book" -- I got tired of having to fill out the same sheet every time I went to the doc's office -- what/when did your parents die from, did they have cancer/heart problems etc, what about your siblings, etc.. etc. Now I just give them a 2 page synopsis of the whole she-bang and write "see attached" on their form.

How do they expect a person to remember all that and write it down legibly on one line in 5 minutes, lol. The docs appreciate this a lot I think and make me more than just the "bad knee" or "headache".... they get a more complete understanding me as a patient.

Lanette
  • loseweightbb
    loseweightbb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. It's been a pretty hectic wk, so haven't found the time to keep up with the posts - at least 10 more pgs of them since I last read any. Worked on skimming through them yesterday & today to try to catch up. I also feel like I'll need some type of list or spreadsheet to have any hope of keeping track of who's who, etc. For now, I'll just have to respond in general to all of you.

My heart goes out to all who are facing medical or personal struggles or heartbreaking challenges with family, etc. Try to stay strong & find some peace & time for yourselves in the midst of it all.

Kudos to everyone who's finding success (be it great or small) in the journey to better health & weight loss. Thanks to all who lift our spirits & give us a much needed chuckle with quotes, jokes, & pictures. Love them.

I'm disappointed in my progress this past wk, but at least overall have lost another 0.6 lbs. Given the fact that I've only managed to exercise one day during the wk after work & didn't log my meals a couple of days, guess that's not so bad. Ended up working late 2 days trying to get lesson materials, plans, grading, etc done. On Val. Day, chose to hang out with hubby & watch a movie & we ordered take out from a local italian restaurant (ate more than I prob. should've that day, too - but kept cals. low during the day to offset it & only ate about 1/2 of it, so could be worse). On Wed. left work on time & did an hr on treadmill after work & then spent rest of evening grading stuff been trying to get done for past couple of wks.

Have had bad insomnia all wk (ongoing issues with that for years - have hard time falling asleep & wake up several times all night) & a few days this wk also got woken up at 3:30 am for hubby to go plow snow (for our local school district where he works - HATE WINTER!) & up again at 5 as usual for myself. Monday we had a delay due to snow, but was already awake before I knew about it, so even though I tried to go back to bed to get more sleep, didn't really get any more. Then worked late that day since lost my plan period in the morning & snow had stopped by then. By Thurs., after so many days of little sleep, I started feeling dizzy in the afternoon while teaching & struggled to stay awake in my long drive home. So tried to take a nap when I got home instead of exercise. Started to doze off, but (as usual) woke right up again. So only rested about an hr & then got up for dinner. Got a little more sleep that night, but not much. Friday, I ended up staying at work till almost 6 getting stuff made up for after vacation. Wanted to avoid working on much school work over vacation (like usual). My school is on mid-winter break this coming week. HURRAY! I need the rest so bad. Also looking forward to having more time to get stuff done around the house & get in plenty of exercise each day to get back on track. Think I'm going to go join the YMCA again sometime this wk, too & get in some swimming. We're not actually taking a real vacation, but hubby will have Mon. off & may take a vac. day off one other day during the wk. Finally stopped snowing at least & supposed to have a heat wave up to 50 a couple of days this wk (with rain, I think) so hopefully will get rid of some of it. Hope we don't get more again after that. Our area is known for back & forth weather changes so who knows.

Really looking forward to when he retires sometime this summer. No more winters that he has to get up early to go plow & he'll be off from work whenever I'm off, too. He works for a school district, but is a Maint. Mechanic, so works all yr. & just gets vacation days to take whenever. I teach 7th grade Math at a different school district (further away from home). I won't be retiring for several yrs since I didn't become a teacher until age 37. Worked in accounting field for 15 yrs before that with no retirement. Even though I'll still be working, I think life will be less hectic once HE retires, since he'll be able to get a lot more done around the house during the wk so we can spend more time doing fun stuff on the wkends & when I have school breaks instead of chores, etc that don't have time for during the work wk now.

Wow - I just went on & on. Still want to share some interesting tidbits from the ebooks I've been reading while doing the treadmill, but will do that another time. Gotta go exercise now.

-- Becky in Upstate NY

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Day My Dear Friends,

KarenVA, Olivia is absolutely beautiful. So glad she is responding. Thanks for sharing that beautiful picture.

Gloria, I miss IrishTerri also. There are a few that used to post so often that are no longer here and I really miss them. (Sylvia, Carol NC, Terri from Milwaukee and others) I’m glad you are staying with us. ((Hugs)) So sorry for your young flu victim. I’m glad he is better. It’s evidentially really rough this year and many people here have had it.

Tracie, I hate that you are working so hard and in such a stressful position. Please do take care of yourself and work to find that serenity you need. In my 10 years in Milwaukee I sure don’t remember such warm weather this time of year. You enjoy it.

Leigh, I’m glad you enjoyed your special breakfast treat. It just goes to show that we can have things of high calorie as long as we work them into the day’s limit. When I do that, I just load up on some low calorie veggies so I feel I’m still getting plenty of food. pancake.gif

KarenBC, what is the occasion for having 20 family members to cook for. Whatever it is, it sounds like fun for everyone to get together. I hope you have time to enjoy and don’t work too hard. I’m sure there are those willing to pitch in so remember to “delegate”.

Pip, that is sweet of Floyd (?) to share the bed with that huge green frog.

Janetr, that is wonderful news about your DGS. You never know when one of the trips to rehab will be the one to stick. I’m keeping all of you in my prayers. (((Hugs)))

Hiiiiii, Yogi. Lookin’ good.

Queenie, I don’t have one but was happy to hear how much you like your new bed. A good night’s sleep can make such a difference in our day. sleeping.gif

Chris, sorry about your mom. That is not easy to deal with. ((Hugs)) Congrats on your weight!!

Katla, I hope your DH lets up on the criticism. That can get old really fast. He may not even realize he’s doing it. I hope it helps when you say something to him. Hang in there, my friend.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s a beautiful day here. On the national weather this morning it looks like many of you could be having some of the snow melt. Warm weather from one end of the country to the other. I hope you can all take time to enjoy it.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    damnit that's Bullwinkle... the darker one that has the white around the eyes is Bullwinkle, the older one. Floyd is the lighter colored bigger one
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    going to the gym now
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Victoria and Haylee are so cute! :)

Spring has sprung in February here! Our Japanese tulip tree is in full bloom and the high on Monday should be 73 degrees. With this weather, it's going to be very difficult when I'm sure we will have some more cold days.

Lazy Sunday...Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    03k69olesq7r.jpg

Victoria and Haylee 9 months old! Helmets are because of them being premature to help form the head correctly since they spent so much time on their backs hooked up to machines. They probably will be able to stop wearing them in a couple of weeks!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

So cute! They make me want to hug my grandchildren who live half a continent away. :heart:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Mary they are darling, so happy for you!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Happy Sunday, Lovely Ladies!

Started this gorgeous day on a downer after hopping on the scales which revealed a 1lb GAIN! Very upset - seems that I've spent the best part of a year dancing around the same weight - in spite of making healthy (at least healthier!) food choices and exercising between 5 and 6 days a week.

Then I had a word with myself and realised that the increased strength training that I have been doing will naturally have resulted in weight gain (although I am now very strong). And there's really no alternative but to keep on doing what I've been doing. It's just going to take me longer to get to where I want to be.

I read recently that people over 50 should be exercising for 60 minutes a day, and not the 30 minutes that we normally read about. So I have started adding a 30 minute yoga practice after my workouts - I did three last week and hope to up this this coming week.

I had a lovely afternoon with my gorgeous son and we both went to town to buy a broadband wireless extender for some upgrading that we're doing at home. Then he helped me fix lunch!

Tracie - I spent about 20 years in learning and development, a good part of which was spent training users how to use various software following organisational rollouts. It's an area that I love, but I now work for myself and don't spend so much time in front of a classroom. These days I am more involved with instructional design, although I still do occasional "chalk and talk" sessions. Do take it easy, won't you?

Heather - I love the picture of little Bea - so stylish with her jaunty jacket and retro sunglasses!

Back to my quilt - I'm feeling more confident with every square that I piece together!

Enjoy your long weekends - my US friends!

Yinka - Worcestershire, UK
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    We made it to FL (YEA!) Did all of you see me waving to you as we drove thru SC, Georgia and northern FL. We only made one stop for something to eat. Part of me suspects Vince wanted to get here as early as possible, which I don’t have a problem with. Get this – around 9:15 I went to Wendy’s for Vince, the restaurant closed at 9. OK. But the drive thru was open until 12 so I went to it. They’re policy is that they don’t serve walk-ups. Company policy. So….I had to walk back to the condo, get my car and drive there. Only then could I get the food.

Did an hour of Lower Body Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to try this class at the Y called Next Level. I have no idea what that’s about.

Ginger – I liked reading your goals for the month

Joyce – I hope you get thru to Sherry that we don’t just need her to make us smile. We want HER. Glad your sister is doing a bit better

Lenora – the cats know something is up the minute a suitcase comes out. Yet, once they get to the condo, they are really happy. We don’t always take them with us. Like the weekend after we get back we’re supposed to go help Jess move. We won’t take them then. Poor Lexi just turtled all the way here (went into a ball and didn’t move). Vince said Bonnie was stressed a bit, we probably didn’t wait long enough after giving her the sedative before putting her in the car. Loki just “helped” drive and Clyde was stressed a bit but soon got over it. Vince doesn’t “talk” and share, you are so right that men don’t

Rita – hope NC is on your list of stops! You ARE a very strong lady

Welcome everyone new

Kate – great keeping up with the exercising! I wish I was 127, but I do have the love handles if that counts…lol Great plank

Becca – so glad that headache went away

Karen – Olivia is beautiful

Gotu – You had me rolling

They took the solar cover off the pool this morning. Never have we been able to go swimming in Feb. Thank you FL!!!! Just went to WalMart to get a FEW things. I’ll go to Aldi tomorrow. I couldn’t get over how much milk was at WM!!! It’s cheaper at CVS!

Margaret – Have you tried the Artic Zero ice cream. Admitted, its not cheap. It’s for the lactose intolerant so it isn’t creamy. But even Vince says that the chocolate is very chololatey. I got a container of the cake batter for down here. Just think I might have some. Each serving is only 35 calories (some are 70)

Janet – keeping your gs in my prayers

Sherry – good to “see” you

Lanette – I have this big BIG file with all my blood work, DEXA scan, etc info,. Vince and I do the same thing – have a paper and just write “see attached”

Mary – what darlings you have there

Michele from NC now in sunny FL -- yippee