WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I love the new dress. You look gorgeous! :bigsmile: I also love the photo of your DH with the two grandchildren. :heart:

Michele: I would have been very frustrated with Wendy's. I'm happy you made it to FL safely. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: My dad had good friends, Mr. & Mrs. S, who were childless but adopted an adult orphan and had a wonderful experience. He had a wife and children and they, therefore, had grandchildren. It made them all very happy. :flowerforyou:

Becky in Upstate NY: It sounds like your ebook is giving you a lot to think about. :smiley:

Beth: Your son is amazing. No wonder you're a proud mama! :flowerforyou:

Lisa: It sounds like your DH is doing well with his recuperation. Pain and Pill levels both being down is wonderful news. :star:

Becca: You are insightful and a truth teller. I admire you. :star::heart: :star:

I'm having a quiet, lazy day so far. I have been daydreaming about garden plants. The rosemary plant I bought for Christmas does not seem healthy. There are still some green parts but much of it has turned black. The plant is certainly not decorative so I'm doing research to find a new one. The cultivar I have in mind is called Rosemary Tuscan Blue. It forms a nice "tree" with a Christmas tree shape and there are a couple of garden centers where I can look for it. One is nearby home and the other is near a restaurant in Portland that DH loves. It is likely too early in the season right now but I can call.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    katla Rainy day hugs! Big FAT rain drops here. Love how you "get" me and my ramblings! Love ya neighbor!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Queen, I have a sleep number bed. I also have a husband who has a really hard time with the billfold so I have a basic one. But that's OK. I still love it. Sometimes I do wish I could ask it what number would help with the hip pain but right now it's taking care of the back pain.

My Dad used to have a small garden. He was very particular about making his own compost. I wish I knew what was in it. Also wish I could talk to him and ask him. But I will some time later when I die. But he read an article in a gardening magazine. It's called a pomato. You plant a tomato into a potato and then plant the potato. It gave bumper crops of both tomatoes and potatoes.

Heather, WOWZAAAAAA. Now that's a red dress.

Pip, I am so glad my state of Indiana had a small part in your journey to happiness again. Did Kirby live here?

I was able to get up and go to church this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before I had real had a long talk on Saturday nights with both God and the Devil on my desire to be able to go to church. But the Devil always won, I wouldn't be able to sleep at all that night, would get up with my back really hurting, etc, etc. I was really great in making excuses as to why I should stay in bed on Sunday mornings. Last night in my nightly prayers, I expressed to God how much I wanted to be in church this morning. I think it was been 12 Sundays now. It started out last December with the nose bleeds, hospitalizations, back going out, herniated disc. So last night I didn't talk to the devil at all. Maybe he thinks I ignored him. With the physical therapy working on my having back strength while standing still such as in a church choir of just in church, I was able to stand and sing, not the amount to be back in the choir but I still felt more like a member of the congregation and not a little old lady who can't stand up like my Mom was. Whoaaaa Joyce, Did you just have an Ah Ah moment???? You are scared of becoming your Mom who had a terrible as in Ivan the Terrible back. I am scared of becoming my back.

Went to see my sister, she is doing well. She is on Vancomycin which can be hard on veins, she is now on her third IV and she has only been there since Thursday afternoon. My nephew and his wife were there. He works for a local lumbar, etc company. He can get us our two doors we need at cost + 10% so that will help.

Joyce, Indiana

Kirby was born in Indiana, Syracuse Indiana. In between Fort Wayne and south bend. We lived by lake wawasee, the biggest natural lake in Indiana. I miss the weather there. We lived there for 3 years. I cut off my family except for one brother, he was the only one who knew where I was at during that time
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Saw this today. Size Free?! I choose....

3cpsyc6lzpss.jpg

Cheri
    BCS, TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Joyce and Pip, small world. I was born and raised near South Bend, my sis still lives there and my brother lives near Lebanon IN. Niece went to college in Evansville. College roommate was from North Webster.

Haven't been back there in over 10 years since my parents died. I do miss the "flatness" and cornfields!

Also miss the fall weather there... and I think the Indiana snow is different than our often mushy/icy Washington snow ;-). I didn't mind driving in it -- if I slid off the road I'd just go into a cornfield (unless there was a big fence post or tree!) Tho there was usually a big snow drift to keep me in the lane of travel.

Made a big pot of chili for supper....have had my fiber quota for a least 2 days, lol. And will have leftovers for the next few days, even better.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Joyce and Pip, small world. I was born and raised near South Bend, my sis still lives there and my brother lives near Lebanon IN. Niece went to college in Evansville. College roommate was from North Webster.

Haven't been back there in over 10 years since my parents died. I do miss the "flatness" and cornfields!

Also miss the fall weather there... and I think the Indiana snow is different than our often mushy/icy Washington snow ;-). I didn't mind driving in it -- if I slid off the road I'd just go into a cornfield (unless there was a big fence post or tree!) Tho there was usually a big snow drift to keep me in the lane of travel.

Made a big pot of chili for supper....have had my fiber quota for a least 2 days, lol. And will have leftovers for the next few days, even better.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Kirby used to tell me about the "flatness" of Indiana. I used to work for an attorney in napanee and he used to drive me to work with the bike and he would ride his bike to napannee at the end of my day and we would both ride home. I would tell him, you don't know what flat is if u think this is flat. When he finally got to see where I am from, he agreed, my flat is flat, not where he is from
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Nappanee.... I worked there in the sales department of an RV place while DH was overseas in the USMC....would have been in the mid-70's. Loved the antique stores, Amish butcher shop, Amish stores and bakeries. DH and I thought about moving back there when we were ready to leave the Seattle area 20+ years ago, but it didn't work out.

Yes, Indiana does have its hills and "slopes", lol.

We've been out here since 1977; this is now home.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Heather, the red dress is gorgeous and so are you!

Beth, you have every right to be proud if your son.

And that's my fly by.....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lanette and Pip, I live in the opposite end of Indiana, southwestern, down right on the Ohio river between Illinois and Kentucky. I love the rolling hills, the weather, the people, we aren't far from Nashville Indiana where you find all the wonderful folliage and wooden bridges. We have Amich community not far from here and wonderful food and cabinetry everywhere. I just love Indiana. I hope everyone feels the same about where they live.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becky – Sleep apnea is bad on your heart, your general ability to ‘think fast on your feet’, makes you feel tired all the time; and, bad on your mental health. I did not realize how bad my sleep patterns were until they put me on a C-pap and I slept 8.5 straight. They actually had to wake me up the next morning. My last testing (after being on a C-pap for 5 years) probably wasn’t as accurate because the bed was so hard that even with a C-pap on, I could not sleep very well. They adjusted the flow in my machine; so that it would start at 4 on the new one and work up until it got to 11 or 12. I finally called the MD’s office to see if there was any way they could set the machine for a higher flow starting off; and, they set it at 9. I take my ‘bipolar meds’ at night because they tend to make me sleepy. I’ve never taken any type of ‘sleeping pill’.

Becca – If you have never had a ‘migraine’ before now – it is a pain you will not ever forget. Usually, starts in the back and goes over the top of your head.

I, too, love spicy foods. Quite often putting “Frank’s Hot Sauce
    on things. To heck with it burning my tongue, just gotta have it ‘hot and spicy’.

Janetr – Loved the cartoon!

Margaret and Michele – The ‘only’ thing that artificial sweeteners are good for is putting on your tongue and pressing it up to the roof of your mouth when you burn it by biting down on a hot pizza and having the cheese stick to the roof of your mouth. I get the hiccups (usually about 5:30pm every day, so I take a tsp. of regular sugar and let it melt in my mouth … hiccups gone.

Pip – If I am going to ‘eat out’ I want something that tastes a lot better than ‘fast food’ hamburgers and that sort of thing. I’d rather make my own hamburgers to eat.

Joyce – Louis and I went on a company trip with all these salesmen and stopped to eat lunch at an Amish community. Food was wonderful; but, the water was ‘sulfur’ water and I could not drink it, I almost gagged on it. We used to go to a place called Indian Springs, here in GA and they had a spring that was sulfur water. Used to do competitive swimming and diving; and, even the pool water smelled like ‘rotten eggs’. Could not wait to get home and take a bath. But, the town in which I grew up had a water treatment plant; and, when you ran the tap water, you got suds in it. I can remember the first time I ever had ‘well water’ … it tasted strange, too. We’re on a well out here and I can drink it forever. Don’t have too much trouble getting in my required water.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    22,000 steps
    236 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    125 minutes riding the exercise bike

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello -

I have had to skim a lot this weekend so I am sure I have missed a few things....

Loving the cartoons, thoughts, baby pics, Heather in her new dress.....
    Appreciating the thoughts and stories you all are sharing. Background info helps me know some of you better.
    Michele - Glad you made it to Florida!
    Rita - come see me in Tennessee when you are RVing!

I am continuing to take my BP and BS. I did miss yesterday. Haven't done today's yet.

Toni
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Rita – I sent you a private message.

Heather – thanks for the Bea fix! And the red dress is wonderful

Janetr – glad to hear grandson is back in rehab

Leigh – pancakes are hard to fit in, but an omelet is easier – I do a special breakfast a couple of times a month, and I do it by having a non-fat latte early in the am then mid-late morning having my “special” breakfast, and it counts as two meals and that gives me a few more calories to “spend”

Lisa – glad things are going well for DH

Taxes – income tax stuff is due in the USA on April 15, and my system is that I gather everything multiple times each year and a gal in my tax office works on the side and gets it all organized and entered into my businesses accounting system – I love not having to do that. Occasionally during the year we meet to go over stuff that doesn’t make sense to one or the other of us. Well today was the last time for 2016 taxes…I have 3 things to research and then I am ready for my tax appointment! This is the best I’ve ever done with the business, I am usually working until the wee hours the night before the appointment. It is a relief and based on how the numbers look – I should be in good shape.

February Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book – Done (Jan and Feb too)
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Up to here.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options