Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    I was never proven wrong by anything. I was making a point. Dates usually involve food and alcohol. As said its the "default". Your basically arguing that im wrong because if i was it wouldnt be the topic of HOW TO AVOID IT. So good for you to say you have self control and can have 3 or 4 drinks without food. Most people dont have the control. And no MOST drinks people want to drink are over the limit. Realistically most people will NOT drink ONLY within the limit because realistically everyone loves the drinks that arent healthy and they wouldnt be anyone's first choice.

You were proven wrong. You asked specifically how 3-4 drinks can only be 500 calories, and @JaydedMiss went and told you how. Now you are attacking her, and and trying to judge her dating style? You'ver really never been on a date, when there are only drinks? Not every date has to be a full on meal. The sad part is that the original person who was giving the analogy was just trying to give some helpful advice on how she trys to prepare for going out, and you took as it came from the bible and that's all she does, and that she is telling you that is all you should do.

I asked about the drinks....not whoever you are referring to.

It also makes sense to me now. I just really wasn't thinking about shots.

Oh I was replying to the women who was being mean. I think everyone else understood it once people explained what they were drinking. I mean I've had times where I've gone out, and had mixed drinks with a bunch of stuff in it that had plent of calories, but I've also just gone out and had a bunch of bicardi and diets, or something like that.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    abrubru wrote: »

Don't let it stress you now though. It can be fun, it can be horrible, and yes some thought goes into dieting around it. But, you don't NEED to go on 3 dates per week. When you're ready, you can go on as many or as little as you want :)

The biggest problem for me now is where does a 40 year old woman go to meet men that are single, intelligent, educated, working and relatively attractive? I am working on me, and if a "he" comes along, I'm willing to try!

Try match.com or eharmony. I still prefer okcupid and Tinder because they are free, but even at 31 I'm starting to age out of those apps (competing with 22 year olds is not fun).

I tried those once, years back. Eharm literally told me that there was no one on there who would be compatible with me. I was mildly amused.

What?! No!

I admittedly tried Match I think. I'm a *kitten* and didn't think anyone was attractive. Everyone they matched me with was...too...I won't say it :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess, having lost 50 pounds already, I know what I have to do...it's just really hard to do while dating. I'm not ALWAYS having that many dates, but it's been crazy lately. I've basically narrowed it down to 1 guy and if this doesn't work out I'm taking a break for a while. I enjoy dating for the most part, but it can be exhausting, expensive and unhealthy.

Eat 1/2 or some portion less than the whole meal and ask for a take home box, eat the rest another day or throw it out, or get something lighter in calories.

Most guys don't expect a date to eat and drink 1 for 1 with them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Don't let it stress you now though. It can be fun, it can be horrible, and yes some thought goes into dieting around it. But, you don't NEED to go on 3 dates per week. When you're ready, you can go on as many or as little as you want :)

The biggest problem for me now is where does a 40 year old woman go to meet men that are single, intelligent, educated, working and relatively attractive? I am working on me, and if a "he" comes along, I'm willing to try!

Try match.com or eharmony. I still prefer okcupid and Tinder because they are free, but even at 31 I'm starting to age out of those apps (competing with 22 year olds is not fun).

I tried those once, years back. Eharm literally told me that there was no one on there who would be compatible with me. I was mildly amused.

What?! No!

I admittedly tried Match I think. I'm a *kitten* and didn't think anyone was attractive. Everyone they matched me with was...too...I won't say it :)

Yeah, seriously. It was this long spiel anout "we take matching based on personality types very seriously, and do not wish to mislead those whom we have no matches for". I'll give them points for business ethics, for sure.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things about weight loss is figuring out how you will maintain the loss going forward.

I've never been the type to go on 3-4 dates a week, but I used to go out with my girlfriends multiple nights a week for dinner and drinks. I slowly watched myself balloon up close to my highest weight ever. I know I could never maintain that type of lifestyle and a healthy weight at my current activity level (desk job) so I realized it had to stop and it's not something I will ever go back to doing again.

I'm okay with this because I'd rather be a healthy weight than obese and be able to eat and drink all the things multiple nights a week.

I still go out occasionally, but it's not something I can manage three - four nights a week.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses. Some very good ideas, now I just have to implement them. I know this is a lifestyle change and there's always going to be reasons to go out, but balance can be difficult at times.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find that the best guys treat their bodies well, too and they are attracted to gals that eats well, likes to actually do stuff AND drinks whiskey.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    clags301 wrote: »
    I find that the best guys treat their bodies well, too and they are attracted to gals that eats well, likes to actually do stuff AND drinks whiskey.

Here's hoping! :)

• kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to go out and have a good time without worrying about dieting but don't want the consequences from "having a couple nights out." That is definitely understandable with how far it sounds like you've come, but if that's what you want to do, than still own it by logging the night whether it makes you go over or not and begin anew the next day.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My goal is to find someone that SHARES this lifestyle with me. And will make good choices with me when we are together. My favorite is a picnic lunch when the weather is nice in a park as a date. I can plan and control the food this way.

I understand the issues with the drinking on an evening out and wanting to meet people. I am very outgoing, and yet I still like having one or two.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you do what people in maintenance do every day: eat a moderate amount of food that fits into your daily calorie goal. ....

Respectfully, I disagree. Maintenance is challenging for me if I am eating out 4+ times every week. Accuracy is challenging and so is banking if you don't know where you're going/what will be served. I think bbell has good insight on just setting your expectation to maintenance (which I think is hard enough) until you find the guy for the third date.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    In my opinion, you do what people in maintenance do every day: eat a moderate amount of food that fits into your daily calorie goal. ....

Respectfully, I disagree. Maintenance is challenging for me if I am eating out 4+ times every week. Accuracy is challenging and so is banking if you don't know where you're going/what will be served. I think bbell has good insight on just setting your expectation to maintenance (which I think is hard enough) until you find the guy for the third date.

There is alwaya the option of taking some home. Don't have to eat the entire serving
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

There is alwaya the option of taking some home. Don't have to eat the entire serving

I didn't say I felt compelled to eat it all. I said accuracy and banking is a challenge for me when out for dinner, and I'm pretty experienced at weighing food. I can eyeball the 100g of chicken that I logged. Accuracy is still an issue if I didn't make it. You can ask the kitchen to make stuff the way you want it (dry), but part of the fun of eating good places is enjoying someone else's creativity. I'm willing to be inaccurate. It's just the reality of eating out.

Drinks only is less challenging.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I felt compelled to eat it all. I said accuracy and banking is a challenge for me when out for dinner, and I'm pretty experienced at weighing food. I can eyeball the 100g of chicken that I logged. Accuracy is still an issue if I didn't make it. You can ask the kitchen to make stuff the way you want it (dry), but part of the fun of eating good places is enjoying someone else's creativity. I'm willing to be inaccurate. It's just the reality of eating out.

Drinks only is less challenging.

Agreed! When its multiple times, it gets much harder for some people. I struggled with this too and had a huge impact on my weight gain I just went through. (lots of other factors and my own problems, obviously also)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    is there a reason you HAVE to go on so many dates every week?

Of course I don't HAVE to, but I want to. I'd like another person in my life and it takes meeting a lot of them to find the right one. I don't want to tell somebody, no, I can't go out even though you seem great because I've already been out once this week. Dating at my age (39) and online dating is very difficult. If I say no, they move on. People don't want to wait weeks to meet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have to jump in here...not because I am presently dating or because I am where I want to be weight wise, but because after 17 years of marriage I am single again and even if the last year has beaten the hell out of me, I know someday I will want to date again. And frankly, dating scares the crap out of me now...I can't even imagine going on 2 or 3 or more dates a week and having to think about this issue!

I was married for 18 years and when I started dating again never went for more than one date per week. I may have pre-screened more rigorously than people who have multiple dates per week.

I didn't look for a serious relationship for quite some time after my divorce, and I am now with the man of my dreams.

Our first date was for coffee and it lasted so long we ended up going to the restaurant next door for dinner - spent four hours with each other that first date :)

I did have a lot of meh first dates before he found me on OKCupid.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I tried a variety of online date sites and liked OKCupid best. I did get more replies when my age was listed as 39 but I believe the quality improved once I hit 40.
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2017
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    I was never proven wrong by anything. I was making a point. Dates usually involve food and alcohol. As said its the "default". Your basically arguing that im wrong because if i was it wouldnt be the topic of HOW TO AVOID IT. So good for you to say you have self control and can have 3 or 4 drinks without food. Most people dont have the control. And no MOST drinks people want to drink are over the limit. Realistically most people will NOT drink ONLY within the limit because realistically everyone loves the drinks that arent healthy and they wouldnt be anyone's first choice.

I hear ya! If I had 3 to 4 drinks without food I'd start channeling Kim Basinger from Blind Date.
  • wanderingartistry
    Options
    Suggest restaurants that offer foods that you want to eat, or foods that show the caloric value of their dishes in their menu.