Ask a vegan

Options

Replies

• LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Do I automatically become a crossfitter if I go vegan?

I thought crossfitters were paleo?

I don't think Paleo is for crossfitters though. They expend a ton of energy and benefit from a high carb diet. Paleo doesn't have any grains or pastas.

trust me on this one....

crossfit and paleo carpool together

This is what happens when I don't join cult workout programs, I just don't know what those cult workout people do
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

I don't think Paleo is for crossfitters though. They expend a ton of energy and benefit from a high carb diet. Paleo doesn't have any grains or pastas.

trust me on this one....

This is what happens when I don't join cult workout programs, I just don't know what those cult workout people do

That's exactly what we call crossfit at our home : the cult

My wife is entrenched in the crossfit culture.

I'm entrenched in the chicken taco and Yoo Hoo culture.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Do you have to take b12 supplements? How do you add more calories to meals without eating beans all the time?
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    As a vegan, when you want to dress up, how do you get by without leather shoes?

Great question, do you ensure that no animals are used in anything you use in daily life.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

Great question, do you ensure that no animals are used in anything you use in daily life.

I'm wearing blue suede shoes. (Really )
    I sleep well at night.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    UltraVegRunnerBabe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you have advice for someone who wants to stay away from grains and soy? IT seems like most vegan diet plans have tons of grains and soy. I know it's possible but I have little meal planning creativity. I would love to be vegan or plant based most of the time. I'm not willing to give up my wool scarves though. :)

Can I ask why you want to stay away from grains? Soy is understandable and it's fairly easy if you don't eat a ton of processed vegan food. Vegan diets really rely on grains to get the nutrients we need, so I'm not the best person to offer advice for people who want to avoid grains. I recommend researching specific blogs and articles about it. Oh, and you should look up the wool industry as well...it's not pretty.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Do you have GO Vegan bumper stickers on your car?
    Are you a runner?
    Can you have lunch with a friend who eats meat?

I don't have any bumper stickers, I run long distances, and I do eat with non-vegans, even though it is a real challenge because I quickly lose my appetite.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

There are plenty of non leather options, but you do have to do a bit more research. The cow will thank you, though:)
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Does a vegan diet make your poops smaller?

Nope. Bigger and more frequent...
    Wow, I feel strange posting this.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

trust me on this one....

That's exactly what we call crossfit at our home : the cult

My wife is entrenched in the crossfit culture.

I'm entrenched in the chicken taco and Yoo Hoo culture.

Yoo Hoo?
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    edited February 2017
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Do you have to take b12 supplements? How do you add more calories to meals without eating beans all the time?

No supplements whatsoever. I don't have to worry about calories, really, because I eat so much fruit that it all adds up eventually. I think the last time I ate beans was two months ago...and I usually go over 2,000 calories. Sometimes 2800 depending on the day.
    Just make sure you have plenty of food on your plate. Eat until your satisfied. Dried fruit, fruit, breads, condiments, cereals, "milks"...
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Either that or a yogi!

I'm allowed to say that because I'm a vegan yogi :wink:
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

I try my best, but even I make slip ups. For example, I just found out the conditioner I'm using has silk extract in it. I'm not going to stop using it, because I don't have the luxury (also it's a waste) to throw it out. But I won't buy it ever again. Also, the car I have was passed down from my sister, and it has leather seats. I still drive it, though. Vegans are never perfect, but we do our best.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

I'm wearing blue suede shoes. (Really )
    I sleep well at night.

...is it okay if you please stop commenting about every non-vegan detail of your life in the "Ask a vegan" discussion? Pretty please?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

No supplements whatsoever. I don't have to worry about calories, really, because I eat so much fruit that it all adds up eventually. I think the last time I ate beans was two months ago...and I usually go over 2,000 calories. Sometimes 2800 depending on the day.
    Just make sure you have plenty of food on your plate. Eat until your satisfied. Dried fruit, fruit, breads, condiments, cereals, "milks"...

If you're not eating beans regularly, how are you sure you're getting adequate protein?? Lots of soy? Do you have a protein goal, and do you track on here? I ate mostly vegetarian for about a year while I was living with my ex and meeting my daily protein goal was a huge battle. Admittedly, I have fewer calories to play with... Going over 2000 daily would have me gaining significantly.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    If it came down to death from starvation or eating a cute little animal, what you do?
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    61228384.jpg
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

If you're not eating beans regularly, how are you sure you're getting adequate protein?? Lots of soy? Do you have a protein goal, and do you track on here? I ate mostly vegetarian for about a year while I was living with my ex and meeting my daily protein goal was a huge battle. Admittedly, I have fewer calories to play with... Going over 2000 daily would have me gaining significantly.

I get between 40-70 grams of protein a day depending on what I eat. I don't think about how much protein I'm getting, I just eat what I want. So, I'm doing okay, I think.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    If it came down to death from starvation or eating a cute little animal, what you do?

I would steal the cute bunny's carrot.