Anyone else addicted to fast food?

Options

Replies

• Itsmylifenow13
    Itsmylifenow13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My biggest no no is boba teas and frosts!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ditto OP

I just had a Chinese takeaway tonight, first one I've had in 3 months. Calories for a chicken chow mein came to 818 and then the chips were 500. Quite hefty, but not too bad if you throw in some exercise and have a reasonably calorie sized breakfast.

As much as I tried to avoid the whole "treat" thing, it really is good for the soul once every now and then!
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ditto OP

I just had a Chinese takeaway tonight, first one I've had in 3 months. Calories for a chicken chow mein came to 818 and then the chips were 500. Quite hefty, but not too bad if you throw in some exercise and have a reasonably calorie sized breakfast.

As much as I tried to avoid the whole "treat" thing, it really is good for the soul once every now and then!

you gotta have a cheat day, we would go mad without it! :D
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Having lost loved ones to the disease, I'm really disturbed by how easily "addicted" gets tossed around. Suddenly everybody is addicted - to fast food, to their favorite conditioner, to TV shows, to items of clothing. These examples are not addictions.

I'm sorry you lost loved ones, however there is such a thing as food addiction and it can be deadly. Educate yourself on food addictions. You cannot tell me that you have never enjoyed Pepsi, or some beverage or food containing sugars and caffeine and then tried to stop consuming them. If you did, I imagine you suffered from severe migraines, and possibly cold sweats and were grouchy. THAT is an addiction you are breaking.

I have seen the same symptoms being expressed by alcoholic and drug addicts when I worked at an ER. So yes, FOOD can be addictive.
  • kathyhern521
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself because when you do, this is exactly what happens! You get stuck! So instead the days that you crave for these comfort foods make sure to make it up with exercise. Avoid eating comfort food for dinner; instead have it for lunch. One thing I learned is that when you do deprive yourself you'll end up eating a lot more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard.

Name three. :huh:

Seriously? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Are you?

Fast food full of drugs? Come on.

Yes, I am dead serious. You and some other ignorant commentators may not realize it, but in the process of preparing most common fast food, ADDITIVES are, well, added. Sure, these chemicals and compounds can be found in other elements of nature, but not in quantities or more importantly the combinations that they are in fast foods.

Hydrogenated oils are not naturally occurring. Hydrogen atoms exist and in certain combinations make up fats and oils. However, food manufacturers ADD an extra hydrogen atom which helps in preventing the molecule chain's breakdown, because when unsaturated fats break down, they taste rancid. The addition of a hydrogen atom has drastic effects on the human body, many of which we are still discovering.

Someone mentioned salt, or Sodium. Salt is natural. It is found in the oceans and on land. We even need a certain amount in our bodies so that our nervous systems work. However, if you butcher a cow or pig you won't find sodium levels like you do in the processed pieces that end up on your plate. They even add sodium to breads. And I am not talking about insignificant amount. Sodium levels are 1000x what their natural counterparts.

BHA or Butylated Hydroxytoluene, also known as Butylated Hydroxyanisole is so dangerous it has been banned in several countries already.

The first point people should understand about natural vs not-natural is that just because the element is found in nature, does not mean it is being used naturally. My house is made of wood. Wood is natural. But, you would never say a wooden house is, would you?

And just to cap this off - here is an ingredient that many might be surprised to know is prevalent: COAL TAR. That is tar from coal. It is used as a base for food coloring. If what you eat contains food coloring, there is a chance you are coal tar. I dare one of you to scrape some off the inside of your bbq or wood stove and eat a spoonful. Tell me how it isn't harmful for you because it is found in nature!

OMGZ, THE ADDITIVES ARE GOING TO KILLZ US!!!!

83f5BE9.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Having lost loved ones to the disease, I'm really disturbed by how easily "addicted" gets tossed around. Suddenly everybody is addicted - to fast food, to their favorite conditioner, to TV shows, to items of clothing. These examples are not addictions.

I'm sorry you lost loved ones, however there is such a thing as food addiction and it can be deadly. Educate yourself on food addictions. You cannot tell me that you have never enjoyed Pepsi, or some beverage or food containing sugars and caffeine and then tried to stop consuming them. If you did, I imagine you suffered from severe migraines, and possibly cold sweats and were grouchy. THAT is an addiction you are breaking.

I have seen the same symptoms being expressed by alcoholic and drug addicts when I worked at an ER. So yes, FOOD can be addictive.

I would love to see ONE documented case of someone going through physical withdrawl symptoms from sugar or fast food. Just one.
  • rockinabs3479
    Options
    totally addicted to taco bell nachoes.... must ..... have....... nachoes
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Watch supersize me, you won't want fast food for a while.

Supersize me didn't affect me at all. I was hoping it would. I thought to myself, yeah this guy ate McDonald's everyday, but never had water, never exercised and never ate anything else. I don't eat McDonald's for every meal everyday. In fact, after watching that movie, I wanted my go to of two cheeseburgers, fries and a chocolate shake.

I'm too good at math for Supersize Me to have any effect. His "facts" just didn't add up.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Happy to say I'm not addicted anymore, although I was. I eat t home now.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I pretty much will die when they stop making Loaded Potato Grillers at Taco Bell - - and no, i am not being melodramatic. I freaking HAVE TO eat one of those at least every other night for dinner. It feels a little out of control......but not sure i would call it an addiction....maybe just really bad choice that i keep repeating over and over and over again....
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a total FF addict. I used to eat out twice a day.

I have started doing several things to help stay away. I try to plan out my meals as far out into the week as possible. Then I prepare the meals: cut up all the veggies if they are going to need it things like that.
    I prepackage my lunches to make sure I have no reason to not grab them. I also don't bring my debit card or cash unless I have to, or I will only bring the amount for what I need.

You can also set up a savings plan. Every time you want a burger, put the money into an envelope. At the end of a week/month however, use your fast food $ to reward yourself with something for yourself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is full of drugs. Quitting them is damn hard.

Name three. :huh:

Seriously? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Are you?

Fast food full of drugs? Come on.

Yes, I am dead serious. You and some other ignorant commentators may not realize it, but in the process of preparing most common fast food, ADDITIVES are, well, added. Sure, these chemicals and compounds can be found in other elements of nature, but not in quantities or more importantly the combinations that they are in fast foods.

Hydrogenated oils are not naturally occurring. Hydrogen atoms exist and in certain combinations make up fats and oils. However, food manufacturers ADD an extra hydrogen atom which helps in preventing the molecule chain's breakdown, because when unsaturated fats break down, they taste rancid. The addition of a hydrogen atom has drastic effects on the human body, many of which we are still discovering.

Someone mentioned salt, or Sodium. Salt is natural. It is found in the oceans and on land. We even need a certain amount in our bodies so that our nervous systems work. However, if you butcher a cow or pig you won't find sodium levels like you do in the processed pieces that end up on your plate. They even add sodium to breads. And I am not talking about insignificant amount. Sodium levels are 1000x what their natural counterparts.

BHA or Butylated Hydroxytoluene, also known as Butylated Hydroxyanisole is so dangerous it has been banned in several countries already.

The first point people should understand about natural vs not-natural is that just because the element is found in nature, does not mean it is being used naturally. My house is made of wood. Wood is natural. But, you would never say a wooden house is, would you?

And just to cap this off - here is an ingredient that many might be surprised to know is prevalent: COAL TAR. That is tar from coal. It is used as a base for food coloring. If what you eat contains food coloring, there is a chance you are coal tar. I dare one of you to scrape some off the inside of your bbq or wood stove and eat a spoonful. Tell me how it isn't harmful for you because it is found in nature!

Which of these are in a McDonalds hamburger?

Also: one more person with a closed diary and history of yoyo dieting demonizing fast food. Anyone else see a pattern?
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think you are just trolling.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I'm in a pattern of eating fast food (mostly Chipotle)...

...but not addicted.

But if it helps some people to pretend like they're fighting something bigger than what it actually is, so be it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

How about you answer the question?

Do you think there's coal tar, BHA, or artificial hydrogenated oils in a McDonald's hamburger?
  • DavPul
    Options

sayeth the troll that is making up facts as he goes along
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/pink-slime-removed-from-mcdonalds-burgers--but-other-weird-food-additives-remain/2012/02/01/gIQAdfvAiQ_blog.html
    Below are five of the additives used, and where they are found on McDonald’s menu (though these can be found in fast food products in many other restaurants, too):

Propylene glycol: The International Business Times calls this additive the “less toxic” version of ethylene glycol, which is a dangerous anti-freeze.
    Its food function: Prevent products from becoming too solid.
    Found in: Sauces, glazes, bagels and hotcakes.

Ammonium sulfate: The chemical composition of this additive is akin to the wash for meat trimmings.
    Its food function: Enhance dough, and encourage more consistent bread.
    Found in: Hamburger buns.

Calcium silicate: The white powder is often used to prevent bricks, roof tiles and cement from caking.
    Its food function: Anti-caking.
    Found in: Angus beef patty and seasonings.

Azodicarbonamide: An odorless synthetic chemical mostly used in the production of foamed plastics.
    Its food function: A flour bleaching agent.
    Found in: Buns.

Sodium acid pyrophosphate:A buffering agent, used for both food and industrial purposes.
    Its food function: Maintain color, improve water holding capacity, maintain stability during heating and other functions.
    Found in: Chicken nuggets, chicken fillets, hash browns, griddle cakes and cookies.

And this is STRAIGHT FROM MCDONALDS THEMSELVES:
    http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Just an excerpt. Feel free to read all 33 pages yourself.

BAKERY STYLE BUN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat Flour, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Honey, Wheat Gluten, Contains 2% or Less of: Yeast, Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin (Dietary Fiber), Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Dough Conditioners (Wheat Flour, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Mono and Diglycerides, Enzymes, Calcium Peroxide), Ammonium Sulfate, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source), Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Vitamin D3, Rolled Wheat (Topping).

Big Mac Bun:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin, Sesame Seed.

Big Mac Sauce:
    Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt, Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat),
    Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).

CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
    Ingredients: Slivered Onions Prepared in Onion Reduction Sauce (Palm, Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Salt, Sugar, Caramelized Sugar, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors [Plant Source], Spice).

CRINKLE CUT PICKLES:
    Ingredients: Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Natural Flavors (Plant Source), Polysorbate 80, Extractives of Turmeric (Color).

CRISPY CHICKEN FILLET:
    Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Sugar, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Modified Tapioca Starch, Spice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Natural [Vegetable and Botanical Source] and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Arabic). Battered and Breaded with: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Yellow Corn Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum
    Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Wheat Gluten, Spices, Corn Starch, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Extractives of Paprika. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

KETCHUP:
    Ingredients: Tomato Concentrate from Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Natural Flavors (Vegetable Source)

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

REGULAR BUN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin.

CHICKEN MCNUGGETS:
    Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [Botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

FYI, these TBHQ infused Chicken Nuggets are sold here in the US, but not in Europe. They banned them because of their health concerns.

Anyways, let's look at some of these weird names!

HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup) - Yea, you would have to be living under a rock to not this chemical and its dangers!

TBHQ (Tertiary Butylhydroquinone) - Proven to cause cancer. Banned in other countries.

Thiamin Mononitrate - Synthetic B1. Taken in excess it is correlated with Liver Disease. I know. I have Liver Disease.

Azodicarbonamide - Banned in Australia and Europe because it can cause respiratory problems. But, don't worry, this is what makes the buns last hundreds of years. Using Azodicarbonamide in Singapore will actually land you in jail!

Mono and Diglycerides - These are everywhere! These are basically broken down fats which have been modified. They technically contain hydrogenated fats, but are just barely below the legal threshold in the US that they don't have to be labeled as such. To top it off, even these are fats, they do not show up under the fat section of your Nutrition Label! Oh yea, to be clear, THESE ARE TANS FATS, which are the bad fats.

Ammonium Sulfate - INORGANIC salt. On the farm we know it as fertilizer. McDonalds knows it as food. It is also the funky smell you smell after a fireworks show!

Polysorbate 80 - Found in vaccines and cosmetics. Linked to infertility in women who take vaccines containing Polysorbate 80. Unfortunately this is found in almost all processed foods.

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil - Wait! Did they actually spell it out that they use hydrogenated oils?! Yes they did. Inf act, it was they use in their fryers. If you order anything deep fried at McDonalds, it will be soaked in hydrogenated oil!

Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils - More hydrogenated oils!!!

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil - and more!!!

Ethoxylated Monoglycerides - Ethylene oxide is added to phenols. MMM, tasty! Don't worry, the FDA says this safe!

Now, the list could on. To me, the scary thing is not even what we can see in the ingredients; it is what we cannot see. Many more chemicals and compounds are used in the process of processing foods - like those found in fast foods. However, they do not end up on any label or even in the ingredient lists, but are none-the-less found in trace quantities.

Oh yea, for the bro out there who think that because Mickey D's stopped using Pink Slime that the 100% all natural beef patty is 100% all natural, you are wrong. What they refer to is they don't add anything to the beef post slaughter. While they may not thrown in fillers, the cow itself, was still pumped with antibiotics and hormones. The meat pre slaughter is anything but 100% natural. It has already been shown that residuals of this junk sometimes get passed on. The US has their beef supply rejected around the globe many times, even by Mexico. That time was for traces of copper in the beef.

So yea, some may call it bro-science, some may call it junk-science, but I don't care about those kinds of labels. I care about the labels that matter, and those are on what you are eating.

As for thread jacking this post, I am sorry. I simply wanted to share with others that fast food has chemicals that not natural or naturally occurring and there are dangers, including addiction. A few members here scoffed and even taunted. I couldn't help but respond. In the end though, I won't bother replying again. I am old enough that I should have known better than to feed trolls. They claim I bring no facts, but my posts are full of them, theirs are not. Anybody is free to examine and critique. You have the intertubes at your fingertips, by all means don't take my words as fact, research it for yourselves.

Cheers!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So I guess the answer is "none, but look at all these chemical-y sounding words I can find in their ingredients list! If I list them all and say things like 'this ingredient is also used in poison gas production' it'll scare everyone so much they'll forget everything else!"
  • DavPul
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/pink-slime-removed-from-mcdonalds-burgers--but-other-weird-food-additives-remain/2012/02/01/gIQAdfvAiQ_blog.html
    Below are five of the additives used, and where they are found on McDonald’s menu (though these can be found in fast food products in many other restaurants, too):

Propylene glycol: The International Business Times calls this additive the “less toxic” version of ethylene glycol, which is a dangerous anti-freeze.
    Its food function: Prevent products from becoming too solid.
    Found in: Sauces, glazes, bagels and hotcakes.

Ammonium sulfate: The chemical composition of this additive is akin to the wash for meat trimmings.
    Its food function: Enhance dough, and encourage more consistent bread.
    Found in: Hamburger buns.

Calcium silicate: The white powder is often used to prevent bricks, roof tiles and cement from caking.
    Its food function: Anti-caking.
    Found in: Angus beef patty and seasonings.

Azodicarbonamide: An odorless synthetic chemical mostly used in the production of foamed plastics.
    Its food function: A flour bleaching agent.
    Found in: Buns.

Sodium acid pyrophosphate:A buffering agent, used for both food and industrial purposes.
    Its food function: Maintain color, improve water holding capacity, maintain stability during heating and other functions.
    Found in: Chicken nuggets, chicken fillets, hash browns, griddle cakes and cookies.

And this is STRAIGHT FROM MCDONALDS THEMSELVES:
    http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Just an excerpt. Feel free to read all 33 pages yourself.

BAKERY STYLE BUN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat Flour, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Honey, Wheat Gluten, Contains 2% or Less of: Yeast, Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin (Dietary Fiber), Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Dough Conditioners (Wheat Flour, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Mono and Diglycerides, Enzymes, Calcium Peroxide), Ammonium Sulfate, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source), Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Vitamin D3, Rolled Wheat (Topping).

Big Mac Bun:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin, Sesame Seed.

Big Mac Sauce:
    Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Pickle Relish (Diced Pickles, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Spice Extractives, Polysorbate 80), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Egg Yolks, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onion Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt, Spices, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Mustard Bran, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy and Wheat),
    Caramel Color, Extractives of Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color), Calcium Disodium EDTA (Protect Flavor).

CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
    Ingredients: Slivered Onions Prepared in Onion Reduction Sauce (Palm, Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Salt, Sugar, Caramelized Sugar, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors [Plant Source], Spice).

CRINKLE CUT PICKLES:
    Ingredients: Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Natural Flavors (Plant Source), Polysorbate 80, Extractives of Turmeric (Color).

CRISPY CHICKEN FILLET:
    Ingredients: Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Sugar, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Modified Tapioca Starch, Spice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Carrageenan, Natural [Vegetable and Botanical Source] and Artificial Flavors, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Arabic). Battered and Breaded with: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Yellow Corn Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum
    Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Wheat Gluten, Spices, Corn Starch, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, Extractives of Paprika. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

KETCHUP:
    Ingredients: Tomato Concentrate from Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Natural Flavors (Vegetable Source)

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

REGULAR BUN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Salt, Wheat Gluten, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Ethoxylated Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Enzymes, Guar Gum, Calcium Peroxide), Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate and/or Sodium Propionate (Preservatives), Soy Lecithin.

CHICKEN MCNUGGETS:
    Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [Botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

FYI, these TBHQ infused Chicken Nuggets are sold here in the US, but not in Europe. They banned them because of their health concerns.

Anyways, let's look at some of these weird names!

HFC (High Fructose Corn Syrup) - Yea, you would have to be living under a rock to not this chemical and its dangers!

TBHQ (Tertiary Butylhydroquinone) - Proven to cause cancer. Banned in other countries.

Thiamin Mononitrate - Synthetic B1. Taken in excess it is correlated with Liver Disease. I know. I have Liver Disease.

Azodicarbonamide - Banned in Australia and Europe because it can cause respiratory problems. But, don't worry, this is what makes the buns last hundreds of years. Using Azodicarbonamide in Singapore will actually land you in jail!

Mono and Diglycerides - These are everywhere! These are basically broken down fats which have been modified. They technically contain hydrogenated fats, but are just barely below the legal threshold in the US that they don't have to be labeled as such. To top it off, even these are fats, they do not show up under the fat section of your Nutrition Label! Oh yea, to be clear, THESE ARE TANS FATS, which are the bad fats.

Ammonium Sulfate - INORGANIC salt. On the farm we know it as fertilizer. McDonalds knows it as food. It is also the funky smell you smell after a fireworks show!

Polysorbate 80 - Found in vaccines and cosmetics. Linked to infertility in women who take vaccines containing Polysorbate 80. Unfortunately this is found in almost all processed foods.

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil - Wait! Did they actually spell it out that they use hydrogenated oils?! Yes they did. Inf act, it was they use in their fryers. If you order anything deep fried at McDonalds, it will be soaked in hydrogenated oil!

Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils - More hydrogenated oils!!!

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil - and more!!!

Ethoxylated Monoglycerides - Ethylene oxide is added to phenols. MMM, tasty! Don't worry, the FDA says this safe!

Now, the list could on. To me, the scary thing is not even what we can see in the ingredients; it is what we cannot see. Many more chemicals and compounds are used in the process of processing foods - like those found in fast foods. However, they do not end up on any label or even in the ingredient lists, but are none-the-less found in trace quantities.

Oh yea, for the bro out there who think that because Mickey D's stopped using Pink Slime that the 100% all natural beef patty is 100% all natural, you are wrong. What they refer to is they don't add anything to the beef post slaughter. While they may not thrown in fillers, the cow itself, was still pumped with antibiotics and hormones. The meat pre slaughter is anything but 100% natural. It has already been shown that residuals of this junk sometimes get passed on. The US has their beef supply rejected around the globe many times, even by Mexico. That time was for traces of copper in the beef.

So yea, some may call it bro-science, some may call it junk-science, but I don't care about those kinds of labels. I care about the labels that matter, and those are on what you are eating.

As for thread jacking this post, I am sorry. I simply wanted to share with others that fast food has chemicals that not natural or naturally occurring and there are dangers, including addiction. A few members here scoffed and even taunted. I couldn't help but respond. In the end though, I won't bother replying again. I am old enough that I should have known better than to feed trolls. They claim I bring no facts, but my posts are full of them, theirs are not. Anybody is free to examine and critique. You have the intertubes at your fingertips, by all means don't take my words as fact, research it for yourselves.

Cheers!

vJ2tItb.png