10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This week is tough because I'm moving states in 5 days and we are trying to eat whatever food is in the house without buying much else. Ugh. Maybe I should just prep a bunch of fruit and veg.

I already packed most of my tupperware. :neutral:

Moving is just the worst. We moved a year ago the day after Thanksgiving. Never. Again.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    This week is tough because I'm moving states in 5 days and we are trying to eat whatever food is in the house without buying much else. Ugh. Maybe I should just prep a bunch of fruit and veg.

Moving is just the worst. We moved a year ago the day after Thanksgiving. Never. Again.

Yep, did it last month for first and only time. Utter nightmare and the next time I do that will be when my kids are forcing me into the old folks home :p Of course it didn't help that the seller of our new house was completely insane and we had to get the sheriffs dept. involved with our move in :s
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    Sooo, thanks to another thread going in the general forum area I now know what the tare button on my scale does (insert sheepish smiley face here lol). Going to make weighing up my veggies a lot easier!

Taco salad for lunch and I'm up to 222g so far. Going to get in a banana/pudding bowl before I head out for errands in a bit, and then baked sweet potato with a spinach salad for supper :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my best to keep up, not the U.K. limits though, but we've got a freezer full of food that we're plowing through this week. Not many fruits/veggie in those.

Sad to admit this, but I feel like a loser for not being able to come close to 800 grams a day.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm doing my best to keep up, not the U.K. limits though, but we've got a freezer full of food that we're plowing through this week. Not many fruits/veggie in those.

Sad to admit this, but I feel like a loser for not being able to come close to 800 grams a day.

800 g is a LOT. Especially if a person is trying to get in meat, dairy, grains etc.... For a vegan or vegetarian it is not going to be as hard. Don't feel like a failure. You can only eat so much.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Though this has been fun, I think drop back to just reading what others post on the thread, and maybe weighing in with a comment if I think I have anything helpful to add. I'll leave off posting daily lists - I was kinda cheating anyway, since I've been eating large amounts of veg/fruit for a long time.

If anyone finds it inexplicably entertaining to see the daily veggie/fruit consumption of someone who eats lots of them most days, you're welcome to friend me and follow my food diary as if it were a soap opera. ;););)

You were responsible for getting me to try raw celeriac. I've had it cooked before.

OMG.

I adore it.

Yes. Everyone should try raw celeriac, if they haven't. (May love it, like you & me, may not, but for heaven's sake, try it!). Also, kohlrabi and jicama.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

800 g is a LOT. Especially if a person is trying to get in meat, dairy, grains etc.... For a vegan or vegetarian it is not going to be as hard. Don't feel like a failure. You can only eat so much.

Yeah, i have 3 goals: protein, fruit & veg, and calories. It's taken me a while to figure out the balance.

Starchy foods are a bonus, and i sure am eating a lot less of them than i used to. I just don't have the calories left for much of them. (Though i usually find a way to fit chocolate in. ;) ) My total carbs are hovering just under 50% though, so not exactly a low carb diet, just less from seeds!
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    800g met today with corn, green beans, peaches, and applesauce. Not a lot of variety, just larger portions.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    800g met today with corn, green beans, peaches, and applesauce. Not a lot of variety, just larger portions.

Wait, corn counts? Corn's a vegetable in Britain?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Yep, sweet corn counts, which raised my eyebrows as well. Go back and double-check the 5-a-day doc in the initial post. Also, a heaping tablespoon of tomato puree (such as you would presumably have on pasta) counts. I don't get it. A jacket-on baked potato doesn't count, a full-fiber kale n' sprouts n' banana smoothie only counts as one (because when fruit is pureed, sugar is released, while when it is chewed or chopped, it magically DOESN'T release sugar, apparently?) but you can eat a whole big pile of sweet corn.

I've been hitting just over 800 g the past couple of days, particularly by taking advantage of the one-juice gimme (green machine or V-8....150 ml counts as an 80-g serving) and then by combining veg: having carrots instead of pretzels with hummus, and using sweet potato chips with my guac instead of tortilla chips. A 1-oz serving of raisins also counts, so I am busting out the snack packs I've had stashed in my desk the past year, because I forgot my grapes at home. Sad panda.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Did that last month (one town over though lol), and yep-by the day before our move out we were eating dry cereal with our hands :D

Okay that makes me feel a little more sane. Lol. Regardless of fruit and veg, I swear to myself that I will not gain weight during this time. We will live in corporate housing for one month and I am bringing both scales. No excuses.
  • lulalacroix
    Options

Oh, I didn't think of applesauce. Since its liquidy, how much is a serving?
  • lulalacroix
    Options

I really don't comprehend how corn counts but not my beloved potato. At least one small potato should count imo.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard @MikaMojito!!

I don't get the rationale behind what counts and what doesn't either. I've never counted starchy stuff like corn, potato or kumara (sweet potato) in my 5+ a day, but that's possibly a many, many years old hangover from Weight Watchers, when those thing counted towards your 'bread' servings (this is pre Points systems).

I was just shy of 1600g yesterday, same stuff as other days cos I'm a creature of habit.

BTW I think you guys are doing great given that most of you are in late winter/early spring. I was actually wondering last night just how much my consumption falls in winter. I suspect I'll still hit the 800g a day, but once watermelon is out of season (and it may be short this year since our summer was so crap) that takes a fairly hefty chunk out for me. And the grapes I'm currently nomming on have a pathetically short season (they're the only table grapes that grow in NZ and they're freaking amazing, so I tend to go all out while I can get them), so they'll be gone soon :'(
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't think this would be significantly easier in summer since I'm trying to only have 2-3 servings of fruit. Sure, in summer I could swap bananas and apples for peaches and berries and melon. The vegetables don't change that much though. In winter I do try to eat more carrots, parsnips, cabbage etc because I don't want everything I eat to be flown or shippen halfway across the world. But with this kind of amount of veg I can't skip tomatoes, cucumber etc. I just can't.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I don't think this would be significantly easier in summer since I'm trying to only have 2-3 servings of fruit. Sure, in summer I could swap bananas and apples for peaches and berries and melon. The vegetables don't change that much though. In winter I do try to eat more carrots, parsnips, cabbage etc because I don't want everything I eat to be flown or shippen halfway across the world. But with this kind of amount of veg I can't skip tomatoes, cucumber etc. I just can't.

Yep it will really only be my fruit volume (so much watermelon for so few calories!!) that drops in winter. I confess to continuing to eat pretty much the same veggie-wise through winter. Hopefully once my summer eczema outbreak is over I can reintroduce tomatoes (and eggs!), I'm seriously gonna cry if I can never eat those things again. What is life without cherry tomatoes (which normally this time of year I'm snacking on by the punnet).
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    I hope none of you mind me taking part here even if I'm massively late.

It's my second day of challenging myself to eating 10 a day / 800g. So far it's not been too difficult. Today I had an apple and a satsuma for breakfast (I'll eat another one for dessert later because they're tiny). Then muesli with milk and a banana for lunch. And now I'm slurping my way through a giant bowl of middle eastern inspired stew consisting of tinned tomato, onion, peas, white beans, carrots, yellow pepper, mushrooms and swiss chard.

Yesterday it was a lemon muffin and two satsuma for breakfast (no, I didn't count the muffin lol), a large salad (lettuce, cucumber, green beans, white beans, tomato, carrot) with pickled herring on the side. Dinner was an omlet with onion, mushrooms and chard.

Definitely easier not to eat junk when you're completely filled up with veg.

Glad you're joining in! This is pretty laid back and some are done with the challenge, while others are going to keep at it for the month (and maybe longer?). I'm doing it in March, but just weekdays :)

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I really don't comprehend how corn counts but not my beloved potato. At least one small potato should count imo.

Here is why:

"Do potatoes count towards my 5 A DAY?
    No. Potatoes are a starchy food and a great source of energy, fibre, B vitamins and potassium.
    In the UK, we get a lot of our vitamin C from potatoes. Although they typically only contain around 11-16mg of vitamin C per 100g of potatoes, we generally eat a lot of them.
    When eaten as part of a meal, potatoes are generally used in place of other sources of starch, such as bread, pasta or rice. Because of this, they don't count towards your 5 A DAY.
    Other vegetables that don't count towards your 5 A DAY are yams, cassava and plantain. They are also usually eaten as starchy foods.
    Sweet potatoes, parsnips, swedes and turnips do count towards your 5 A DAY, because they are usually eaten in addition to the starchy food part of the meal.
    Potatoes play an important role in your diet, even if they aren't cooked with salt or fat, even if they don't count towards your 5 A DAY. It's best to eat them without any added salt or fat.
    They're also a good source of fibre, so leave the skins on where possible, to keep in more of the fibre and vitamins. For example, if you're having boiled potatoes or a jacket potato, make sure you eat the skin too. "

That is a copy and paste directly from the article. I think they should count because they do bring the nutrition if prepared the right way. Even though the article that was posted in the original post says, "5 a day" this same guideline remains for the "10 A DAY". All they did was increase the serving requirement per day.