10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken

Thanks for explanations. I'm gonna say that the potato rule seems arbitrary to me and that on the days I actually eat one, I will add it to my count.

Add to be honest, since I've upped my veg so much, I really don't have room for my potato anymore.

I actually ate closer to 11 servings yesterday thanks to watermelon, but protein tanked. I really love eating this much plant food but still haven't figured out how to rework my complete diet with it.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    You're welcome!

I also struggle a little with getting my other elements. I think what I am going to do is change it up a little. I think having maybe two days a week which are mostly plant based, will be my 800 g of fruit and vegetables days, and the other days maybe I will just go for 600 g. That should make it easier to get in the fat and protein along with a large amount of vegetables and little fruit.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe that would work better for me as well.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Avocado. Fruit/veg and fat ;). Try it mashed up with cottage cheese, a bit of garlic, a dash of tabasco and lime juice and a bit of salt with crudites. I call this lunch.
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Avocado. Fruit/veg and fat ;). Try it mashed up with cottage cheese, a bit of garlic, a dash of tabasco and lime juice and a bit of salt with crudites. I call this lunch.

Sorry but EWWWW! That sounds terrible! I do love cottage cheese so I just have that on the side, and I usually like my avocados sliced with a little salt. My husband may enjoy your concoction though. Maybe I'll put that in his lunch this week.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think the cottage cheese/avo combo sounds amazing.

I put some avo in my Greek yogurt/ranch dressing mix salad dressing this past week when they were on sale. Usually I add a teeny bit of olive oil.

I'm still working on being more veggie/fruit conscious. It's fun for me, actually. My worst day was yesterday, at only 900 some odd grams. I had a killer migraine.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Sorry but EWWWW! That sounds terrible! I do love cottage cheese so I just have that on the side, and I usually like my avocados sliced with a little salt. My husband may enjoy your concoction though. Maybe I'll put that in his lunch this week.

It's basically guacamole...
    Options
    I have never heard of adding cottage cheese to guacamole. LOL!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I meant it's basically guacamole with cottage cheese added. Trust me, it works.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Yesterday worked pretty well. I had a banana for breakfast and an apple during break. Helped myself to lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers and shredded cabbage from the salad bar. Dinner was glass noodles with mince, bok choi, peas, peppers and carrots.

Today again banana and apple in the morning. Again salad bar for lunch (carrot, cauliflower, tomato, peppers, cucumbers). Not sure what I'm having for dinner yet. I am seriously craving brokkoli and I fully intend to give into this craving. That leaves two servings I need to fill. Probably some lettuce as a side salad. Maybe some kohlrabi as a snack. And there will definitely be salmon today. I deserve a piece of salmon with my brokkoli for NOT eating schnitzel and fries at the school cafeteria today.
    Options

I know! I was just saying I have never heard of adding cottage cheese to guacamole! My step dad used to put cottage cheese in his salsa. He thought it was the best thing in the world.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    MikaMojito wrote: »
    Yesterday worked pretty well. I had a banana for breakfast and an apple during break. Helped myself to lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers and shredded cabbage from the salad bar. Dinner was glass noodles with mince, bok choi, peas, peppers and carrots.

Today again banana and apple in the morning. Again salad bar for lunch (carrot, cauliflower, tomato, peppers, cucumbers). Not sure what I'm having for dinner yet. I am seriously craving brokkoli and I fully intend to give into this craving. That leaves two servings I need to fill. Probably some lettuce as a side salad. Maybe some kohlrabi as a snack. And there will definitely be salmon today. I deserve a piece of salmon with my brokkoli for NOT eating schnitzel and fries at the school cafeteria today.

You need a huge pile of red cabbage to go with that schnitzel. ;)

I, regrettably, have a huge pile of red cabbage I am working on this week with the couple of random cabbages I found in the back of my 2nd fridge (the beer fridge), but am schnitzelless, so it's not quite as delicious as it could be.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Oven-roast some cabbage in 1/2-inch slices, or thereabouts, with a small bit of olive oil. Hot oven (425F), until the sides brown and few of the outer-edge bits are dark brown. Might take an hour. Flip them once or twice along the way. Optionally, eat with basamic vinegar & a bit of coarse salt, or perhaps a mustard vinaigrette (made with malt or beer vinegar for this, would be my choice). Pretty delicious! :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I know! I was just saying I have never heard of adding cottage cheese to guacamole! My step dad used to put cottage cheese in his salsa. He thought it was the best thing in the world.

It's possible I invented this masterpiece :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh, I lost track of how much watermelon I ate (hey, it's better than mindlessly eating potato chips!), but it would not surprise me at all if I hit 2kg between that and dinner.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I decided to treat myself and have sweet potato, brokkoli and onion with my salmon. I also realised that the amount of peppers I had in my salad in no way is enough to count, so that means I get dessert. Bought a pear.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oven-roast some cabbage in 1/2-inch slices, or thereabouts, with a small bit of olive oil. Hot oven (425F), until the sides brown and few of the outer-edge bits are dark brown. Might take an hour. Flip them once or twice along the way. Optionally, eat with basamic vinegar & a bit of coarse salt, or perhaps a mustard vinaigrette (made with malt or beer vinegar for this, would be my choice). Pretty delicious! :)

Ooooh, that sounds amazing, Ann. I bet "cabbage steaks" would be really good grilled too. One of my favorite joints in Traverse City serves (or served....they are seasonal and change things up) grilled romaine hearts with a smoky chardonnay dressing, which was consciousness-expanding. It was as pleasurable as eating a steak, but a lot fewer calories (and alas, no protein). Jolly Pumpkin is in your neck of the woods too:

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/jp/ann-arbor-brewery
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Oh, I lost track of how much watermelon I ate (hey, it's better than mindlessly eating potato chips!), but it would not surprise me at all if I hit 2kg between that and dinner.

You are officially the watermelon queen!

I eyed them at the market the other day, but they just had the icebox kind, and I am leery of buying them out of season if they are not split open. I probably shoulda grabbed one anyway.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

It's possible I invented this masterpiece :)

Possibly! Just serve it to friends and tell them it's "Mouseamole! LOL! :D