10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Heh, I was wondering where this thread was as I think I originally followed a link -- didn't think to look in Challenges, dumb.

Got my 10 yesterday. Going to use it as motivation to actually log consistently, so I hope it's still going!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Stopped reporting here because I usually eat tediously many vegetables, and I got tired. ;)

Had a bit of a train-wreck travel weekend a week ago, so have done a rough count on the last few days to make sure I'm back to normal. Around 15 servings yesterday if I count all the pinto beans (150g total), so I think things are OK.

That was mixed berries in my oatmeal, pintos with onions/sweet peppers and salsa as an entree, a big salad (romaine, spinach, whole cucumber, tomato), plate of raw veggies (celery, carrot, avocado).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just need an excuse to make myself log. I can't seem to sustain more than a day at a time and then I forget or decide it's a pain because I went out to eat and blow it off. Counting veg seems fun.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Stopped reporting here because I usually eat tediously many vegetables, and I got tired. ;)
    Kind of the same here. I'm continuing to eat a lot of vegetables, but because I make them in batches they tend to repeat. Not every day, but usually several times a week.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just need an excuse to make myself log. I can't seem to sustain more than a day at a time and then I forget or decide it's a pain because I went out to eat and blow it off. Counting veg seems fun.

If you wanna keep coming in here and reporting, I promise to check in periodically and click positive reactions, plus toss in the odd random comment. Y'know, just to keep you motivated. ;)

Has the added plus of keeping the thread bumped. Maybe we could lure in some hungry newbies, and get them over-satiated, too? ;);)
  • dfwesq
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just posted a recipe for the tomato braised cauliflower that's a staple on my table.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10489173/what-are-your-most-filling-but-low-calorie-recipes/p2

(The measurements are American.)
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump in a bit late if that is alright. This is a great thread and I hope I'll be welcome :)

I ate 800g yesterday. I usually do a fruit and kale smoothie for breakfast, raw fruit and veggie lunch and then protein and veggie dinner. Last night we had roasted portobello with arugula salad and 15g of rendered bacon (american bacon).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My IBS decided to flare and my veggie consumption has had to fall wayyyyyy down because my favorites tend to not play well with it. I'm getting some pumpkin, butternut squash, potatoes, and zucchini, but I'm BORED.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My IBS decided to flare and my veggie consumption has had to fall wayyyyyy down because my favorites tend to not play well with it. I'm getting some pumpkin, butternut squash, potatoes, and zucchini, but I'm BORED.

That really stinks. Due to this challenge, I have figured out that blueberries are the culprit that were making me feel like crap,particularly when I ate 6 servings a day. I've toned it down and with a couple of servings it's nothing a little chamomile tea can't help, so nowhere as bad as IBS. You have my sympathies if everything is wreaking havoc with you. No fun.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

That really stinks. Due to this challenge, I have figured out that blueberries are the culprit that were making me feel like crap,particularly when I ate 6 servings a day. I've toned it down and with a couple of servings it's nothing a little chamomile tea can't help, so nowhere as bad as IBS. You have my sympathies if everything is wreaking havoc with you. No fun.

It's sort of my fault. I have celiac disease, my guard slipped, and I got glutened. The aftermath of that triggered the IBS. Which triggers transient food intolerances. Right now dairy and soy aren't my friends and neither are cruciferous veggies. Of course, those are my favorites. If history holds true, this will go on for a couple of months. Oh joy.

I forgot about applesauce. I should be able to handle that.
  • dfwesq
    Options
    Checking in from yesterday.

150g Zucchini bake (1 serving of zucchini, onions, and mushrooms)
    400g crudites 400g
    200g tomato braised cauliflower 200g
    20g green chili salsa 40g
    80g split pea soup with onions, peppers, and celery
    160g medium pear
    120g large banana
    Total: 1130g

For the zucchini bake, the weight is a conservative estimate. And it surprised me, but I couldn't find a good source for the weight for a banana without the peel. I think 120g is accurate, but don't quote me on that.

Btw, the zucchini bake is very tasty. I'll post a recipe when I can.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

400g crudites 400g
    160g medium pear
    120g large banana

For the zucchini bake, the weight is a conservative estimate. And it surprised me, but I couldn't find a good source for the weight for a banana without the peel. I think 120g is accurate, but don't quote me on that.

Well, it's going to depend entirely on the size of the banana ;). FWIW, a bit of testing (weighing peeled, then unpeeled) suggests a third (from memory) of the total weight is a good amount to subtract if you can't weigh it unpeeled. I absolutely would not go by 'small', 'medium, 'large' for bananas. A 100g (unpeeled) banana is actually pretty small. Given that they're delicious little calorie bombs, that's a fruit I'd be pretty careful about trying to be as accurate as possible with. They're dense, and tend to weigh way more than people think they do.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

400g crudites 400g
    160g medium pear
    120g large banana

Well, it's going to depend entirely on the size of the banana ;). FWIW, a bit of testing (weighing peeled, then unpeeled) suggests a third (from memory) of the total weight is a good amount to subtract if you can't weigh it unpeeled. I absolutely would not go by 'small', 'medium, 'large' for bananas. A 100g (unpeeled) banana is actually pretty small. Given that they're delicious little calorie bombs, that's a fruit I'd be pretty careful about trying to be as accurate as possible with. They're dense, and tend to weigh way more than people think they do.

I had what I thought was a large banana and it weighed in at 155 grams. I have seen larger though.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

400g crudites 400g
    160g medium pear
    120g large banana

I had what I thought was a large banana and it weighed in at 155 grams. I have seen larger though.

Yup, it's very subjective!!
  • dfwesq
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Was that peeled or unpeeled?

Fwiw, I'm only wondering about how many grams to count for my total here. I try to overestimate the size for my food diary.

Also fwiw, I see an extra "40g" floating in my list. That's just a typo.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Fwiw, I'm only wondering about how many grams to count for my total here. I try to overestimate the size for my food diary.

No peel
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Why do I now have a Monty Python skit about laden and unladen swallows running through my mind.