10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've decided to dip my toe into this challenge :o Thanks @OliveGirl128 and @French_Peasant for the advice!

800g is alot of fruits and veg, so I'll have to work my way up.

Question before I start... are there any foods that do not qualify? Corn, potatoes, olives... anything? Any qualifiers I should know about?

Any starting tips?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My daughter was sick last night so I spent a wild Friday night trying a couple of recipes and folding laundry, rather than the wild Friday night of going to Target as I had planned.

Edit: Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!! !!! I wrote a huge post with recipes and most of it, too, disappeared!! (Rends garments)

Short version, I had 15 servings yesterday, but will probably have to carry them over because we are headed for the state fair.....and I am a huge nerd because I have packed around 9 servings to take with me.

I will link to recipes later once whatever gremlins are wreaking havoc are out of the system.

• French_Peasant
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi all! I've decided to dip my toe into this challenge :o Thanks @OliveGirl128 and @French_Peasant for the advice!

800g is alot of fruits and veg, so I'll have to work my way up.

Question before I start... are there any foods that do not qualify? Corn, potatoes, olives... anything? Any qualifiers I should know about?

Any starting tips?

Awesome!!! Welcome to the group!

For the rules, take a look at the very first post on this thread, and read the Guardian article and the UK 5-a-day overview, and then subvert them to your own preferences, as we all have. :D I personally would count both sweet corn and jacketed potatoes, but limit them like legumes because they are not as low calorie as, say, kale. Post out here, and just have fun. It is definitely eye opening!
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Excellent, thank you very much! Time to hit the grocery store :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Today I've had
    100g of apricots (never had that happen before, had to shout of my husband to come look lol)
    79g raspberries
    229g new potatoes
    25g kale
    21g spring onion
    75g brown onions
    68g mushrooms
    5g garlic

Only 602g/7.5 servings so I'll have some mandarins before bed and maybe some carrots.

Going to have a day off the challenge tomorrow as I'm travelling for work and they have pre booked my meals. I'll be back on it from Monday for another week. Welcome @MommaGem2017 :)
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nice work with exact 100g!

I'm not so precise. But I've had
    The usual banana (remember that band?)
    450g water melon
    Stir fry vegetable.
    Roasted mushrooms onions and capsicum
    10 olives
    A few carrot sticks.
    A bit of veg in my omelette. Including very hot green chilli ':(
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Okay, day 1 wasn't bad.

100g iceburg lettuce
    125g chopped tomatoes
    125g nectarine (and that was only HALF of the nectarine - it was huge!)
    250g sliced cucumbers
    100g sauteed cabbage
    100g sauteed zucchini
    and some pickles

and that's 800g! Well.... maybe short a few because my kids kept sneaking veggies from me, but there are worse things than kids who like veggies :D
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Okay, yesterday was successful as well:

122g nectarine
    160g steamed cabbage
    160g sauteed zucchini
    50g pickles
    240g cucumber (that was just one single cucumber :o )
    124g white potatoes
    75g asparagus

932g of fruits and veggies!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Here are my past 2 days:

Saturday, State Fair Day

1.25 serving cucumber
    1 serving pickles, tomato, lettuce, onions (lunch at the Beef Exhibit, obviously!)
    2 servings bell pepper
    1.5 serving freeze dried mangoes
    2.5 servings apple
    1 serving apple in an apple dumpling

9.25 servings...would have been more if the kid's hadn't been circling around my packed foods like vultures! (It's a good problem to have, because they are not always so cooperative).

Sunday

1 serving cucumber
    3 servings greek salad
    3.5 servings cucumber (again)
    3 servings bruschetta topping
    4 servings minestrone with extra veg added in
    .5 serving cole slaw

15 servings. Adding fresh veg and herbs to canned soup does not improve the flavor as much as one could wish.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    Spent most of the weekend at the local folk festival, eating very abnormally.

Saturday:
    2C broccoli
    Lettuce/pickles/tomato/guacamole on a Boca burger (don't think the Boca counts as veggies - in my world, it barely counts as food :| )
    Refried beans, maybe 1C
    1/2C salsa
    Lettuce, guacamole, tomatoes, onions on bean taco & tostada
    2 oz crispy broad beans
    2 prunes

Maybe 6-8 servings? (Too bad for me sangria doesn't count. ;) ).

Sunday:

Strawberries (with whipped cream, on Anishinabe fry bread - delicious but extreme)
    1C refried beans
    1/2C salsa

So, pathetically, about 4 servings?

Sigh.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    It's been over a week, I think, but I'm going to report 1 more day in the hopes of redeeming myself, since my eating has (finally) returned to something like normal (whew).

100g mixed berries
    263g tomatoes
    116g sweet corn
    293g cucumber
    3/4C approx. refried beans

So, 772g + 3/4C = 10 servings.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Spent most of the weekend at the local folk festival, eating very abnormally.

Saturday:
    2C broccoli
    Lettuce/pickles/tomato/guacamole on a Boca burger (don't think the Boca counts as veggies - in my world, it barely counts as food :| )
    Refried beans, maybe 1C
    1/2C salsa
    Lettuce, guacamole, tomatoes, onions on bean taco & tostada
    2 oz crispy broad beans
    2 prunes

Maybe 6-8 servings? (Too bad for me sangria doesn't count. ;) ).

Sunday:

Strawberries (with whipped cream, on Anishinabe fry bread - delicious but extreme)
    1C refried beans
    1/2C salsa

So, pathetically, about 4 servings?

Sigh.

Heck yeah I'd be counting the sangria! It's a juice (orange juice, lemon juice, and fermented grape juice), it gets one serving. Bonus points for eating the fruit! Now I want me some sangria...
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    I had a pretty pathetic day yesterday...first of all, it was the last day before my kids started school, so I worked from home so they could lounge about and play. That meant I missed my Monday gym class and didn't get in my normal work steps (my work is stretched over 2 blocks and 8 floors). Plus we walked down to the neighborhood ice cream shop for ice cream, which is delicious but not helpful. I was planning on doing some walking and running during my daughter's cross country practice, but it was at a new park, so I sat, read, and talked instead, as I was a little nervous about leaving my son at the playground. (Plus it was hot...whine, whine!).

Anyway, here was my vegetative day:

[puts on green eyeshades, starts tallying up the numbers):

2 servings orange bell pepper
    1 serving skin-on mashed potatoes
    2 servings green beans
    3 servings cucumber
    2 servings freeze dried peaches
    1 serving raisins

Hey, 11 servings, better than I thought. I was a little off my chow (obviously not off enough to decline an ice cream cone) so didn't do quite as well on the protein side of things. Oh well, I will make up for it today.
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Water Melon twice today. Satsuma. Large salad. But someone has hidden my carrot sticks!
    I'll have some olives later... And maybe another salad!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting about this challenge -- I rarely check the challenge section -- but I want to do it to motivate myself to log.

Today I am focusing on using up the insane amount of seasonal produce that is building up -- I am overrun with tomatoes and corn, among other things.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    I managed around 700g yesterday.

Aiming for the 800g today. Had blueberries for breakfast, banana for lunch and I'm having sausages with stir fried veg for dinner.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Ended on 894g today.
    Blueberries
    Banana
    Mandarins
    Mushrooms
    Kale
    Onions
    Spring onions
    Carrot
    Garlic
    New potatoes
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Here is yesterday's:

1.25 salsa
    .5 granny smith
    1 snow peas & carrots
    2.5 green beans
    2 romaine
    2 roasted zucchini
    1 Naked Green Machine
    1.5 banana

11.75 total...and I didn't even have to do numerous servings of cucumber, fortunately! Although I best keep up with them seeing as they multiply like gremlins...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1478 g yesterday.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    After my last post on Wednesday, I think I did this one or two more days, but I won't post those out...I just wanted to share what I thought was an interesting observation. When I first started doing this at Lent, it was a struggle to reach 10 servings a day; once I stopped, I probably continued to get 7 - 10 servings a day in, although I haven't reviewed my diary specifically for that (might be an interesting exercise). However, in starting back up, once I started "trying" again, it was fairly effortless to get in 10-15 servings a day in, when I thought I was getting fewer, which surprised me. I guess that if you practice, eating more veg just becomes effortless and second nature. It is nice to have a litmus test every once in a while to make sure I am still on track.

Also, I don't remember if I made this point previously, but the Green Smoothie thread brought it to mind. When I did this over Lent, my complexion really cleared up (not that I have a bad complexion, but get a spot here or there, easily covered with make up). To the extent that I realized I had a spot that was not healing and realized it could be cancer (it ended up being a benign keratosis). So, the challenge was very helpful in more ways than one!

I don't think anyone else is continuing the challenge right now, but if anyone needs a Veggie Partner in the future, I am pleased to participate. :)