10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No peel
    Thanks!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I had what I thought was a large banana and it weighed in at 155 grams. I have seen larger though.
    Was that peeled or unpeeled?

Fwiw, I'm only wondering about how many grams to count for my total here. I try to overestimate the size for my food diary.

Also fwiw, I see an extra "40g" floating in my list. That's just a typo.

Are you unable to weigh it? If it's just the peel problem, weigh the whole banana, eat the yummy part, weigh the skin, subtract, use a "banana, edible portion" entry. If unable to weigh, measure (everyone should know how long her index finger - or some other benchmark readily-accessible body part - is ;) ), and use an entry with inchies. Otherwise, just estimate, don't fret about it, and go on with life!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just need an excuse to make myself log. I can't seem to sustain more than a day at a time and then I forget or decide it's a pain because I went out to eat and blow it off. Counting veg seems fun.

If you wanna keep coming in here and reporting, I promise to check in periodically and click positive reactions, plus toss in the odd random comment. Y'know, just to keep you motivated. ;)

Has the added plus of keeping the thread bumped. Maybe we could lure in some hungry newbies, and get them over-satiated, too? ;);)

Heh, I said I wanted to join and then forgot about the thread again -- I never naturally look in the challenges section.

I've been pretty consistent about getting 10+ servings, which I expected, but wasn't sure about 'til I started logging again. The last couple days I've been great in part because I ordered a vegan Ethiopian combo (split over two nights), which just shows (not that there was any doubt) that one can eat too high cal AND lots of veg at the same time.

I really need to learn how to approximate Ethiopian myself at home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My IBS decided to flare and my veggie consumption has had to fall wayyyyyy down because my favorites tend to not play well with it. I'm getting some pumpkin, butternut squash, potatoes, and zucchini, but I'm BORED.

That really stinks. Due to this challenge, I have figured out that blueberries are the culprit that were making me feel like crap,particularly when I ate 6 servings a day. I've toned it down and with a couple of servings it's nothing a little chamomile tea can't help, so nowhere as bad as IBS. You have my sympathies if everything is wreaking havoc with you. No fun.

That's a bummer. The one thing that seems to get me is corn, which sucks because I love fresh corn (and put up with it in season anyway, since IL fresh sweet corn is amazing). But that's a grain, not a veg, really.

My sister has IBS and went through a lengthy process to figure out what her triggers were years ago, and found melon (which she loves), avocado (same), and raw broccoli (and maybe cauliflower), but those are fine cooked, so she was okay with those.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I had what I thought was a large banana and it weighed in at 155 grams. I have seen larger though.
    Was that peeled or unpeeled?

Fwiw, I'm only wondering about how many grams to count for my total here. I try to overestimate the size for my food diary.

Also fwiw, I see an extra "40g" floating in my list. That's just a typo.

Are you unable to weigh it? If it's just the peel problem, weigh the whole banana, eat the yummy part, weigh the skin, subtract, use a "banana, edible portion" entry. If unable to weigh, measure (everyone should know how long her index finger - or some other benchmark readily-accessible body part - is ;) ), and use an entry with inchies. Otherwise, just estimate, don't fret about it, and go on with life!

Thanks for the reply! It's not practical for me to weigh it, unfortunately. I'm just estimating based on the size, and the calorie count is bound to be approximate. Even if I had an exact weight, the calories will vary based on ripeness and probably a number of other things. But that's OK - I just need a reasonable estimate for my food diary. The only reason I really needed to know was to figure out how many grams of fruit to put down for this challenge.

Btw in case anyone is interested here's the USDA's calorie and nutrition count for bananas of different sizes.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2159
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread because of its awesomeness.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Any one fancy another week of this?

I'll be starting Monday, join me, think of the fun we'll have :D
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OK, I can count & post for a while, in the hopes we can get some new folks to try this. I might ave to count beer-battered fries on Monday, though. (Don't freak out: I'm in maintenance. And I'm kidding. About counting them, not about planning to eat them. ;) ).

If anyone new is going to try this, start ramping up now. Don't go from near-zero to ten in one giant leap. And eat your fats, drink your water. We don't need more subthreads about illiquid Brown & Co. accounts.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Beer battered chips sound amazing!

I'm normally in maintenance but just got back from two weeks all inclusive yesterday so back to 250 deficit for a few weeks :s
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in too - I've just "rejigged" my food for during the week, and have 1.5kgs fruit/vegies a day - vegie filled soup or frittata for lunch, and a massive warm roast vegie "salad" for dinner. Fruit in my dessert.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Bumping, started this morning but so far only had 120g of blue berries.

Just going to start making a chilli ram packed with veg.

Edit to add that takes me to 640g for the day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    715g today so far, I'll some mandarins later to get me over the line.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thanks for the bump: I was just poised to seek out the thread to report on yesterday.

As predicted, Monday was a bit of a mess:

100g mixed berries
    2C spinach
    1C white mushrooms
    1/3C chopped onion
    1/2C tomatoes

So, I think that gets me to somewhere 5-6 servings. (I'm mixing grams & cups, and US/UK counting, because it's way easier for me to estimate a large restaurant salad in cups than in grams.)

This will be controversial (in spades), but I'll also count catsup as one serving because I actually did eat an estimated 1/2 cup of it.

So, only 6-7 servings, which is abnormally low for me.

I'm conscientiously not counting the maybe 2C of beer-battered steak-cut deep fried potatoes that were buried under all that catsup. I counted the calories, though. Yowza! ;)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Aw man! We are just returning from 6 days of vacation in the Traverse City/Sleeping Bear area. I am in need of some vegetative penance after considerable misbehavior at the regions fabulous breweries and restaurants, but not tonight...we are stopping at the A&W in Big Rapids for dinner! I will join tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Still mixing US & UK methods, but today had:

100g mixed berries
    25g avocado
    74g bell pepper
    125g adzuki beans
    77g salsa
    51g onions
    102g cherry tomatoes
    279g cantaloupe
    110g mirabelle plums

And a restaurant salad with approximately:

2C romaine lettuce
    1/3C cucumber
    1/3C tomatoes
    Slice of orange
    Couple strawberries

I guess I'd call that about 14 servings total, more or less.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Still mixing US & UK methods, but today had:

100g mixed berries
    25g avocado
    74g bell pepper
    125g adzuki beans
    77g salsa
    51g onions
    102g cherry tomatoes
    279g cantaloupe
    110g mirabelle plums

And a restaurant salad with approximately:

2C romaine lettuce
    1/3C cucumber
    1/3C tomatoes
    Slice of orange
    Couple strawberries

I guess I'd call that about 14 servings total, more or less.

I hate ordering salads in restaurants.... They are never big enough! Haha.

I'm loving soup at the moment (winter here) and it's so easy to pack with vegies. Lunches have been blended zucchini and Cauliflower soup (400g vegies) that I throw finely chopped mushroom and broccoli in to for texture. (about another 100-150g). I have it with a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich (100g)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Aw man! We are just returning from 6 days of vacation in the Traverse City/Sleeping Bear area. I am in need of some vegetative penance after considerable misbehavior at the regions fabulous breweries and restaurants, but not tonight...we are stopping at the A&W in Big Rapids for dinner! I will join tomorrow.

That's my reason for starting again to. 8lb holiday gain and didn't eat any where near enough veggies when we were away.

I'm enjoying all the fresh food the last few days.

Jump back in and share any recipes :)
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I headed to the store this afternoon to get the things I have planned for this week (I've made a tentative menu plan). I'm not a big fresh produce buyer but just the way things worked out with my menu I ended up buying mostly fresh. And dang! That's not cheap :* I spent around $25 on produce, just for myself. That's 1/4 of my entire weekly grocery budget for my family of 5! Part of the problem was that I realized I'm pretty picky when it comes to vegetables and fruit. Almost all the sale items I didn't like so I ended up paying full price for several things. With it being off season here in MI, that added up quick. If this is something I keep doing long term, I really need to expand my horizons and try new things.

Hopefully I now have 4,000 grams worth of produce in the house to get me through Friday-I really don't want to go back to the store lol.

A huge problem with fresh produce is stores only stocking perfectly shaped and coloured items . Anything that looks of isn't stocked so there's more waste and higher costs . The shape d isn't matter for 800g. Any places sell oddly shaped cheaper f&v ?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Mojame9 wrote: »
    I headed to the store this afternoon to get the things I have planned for this week (I've made a tentative menu plan). I'm not a big fresh produce buyer but just the way things worked out with my menu I ended up buying mostly fresh. And dang! That's not cheap :* I spent around $25 on produce, just for myself. That's 1/4 of my entire weekly grocery budget for my family of 5! Part of the problem was that I realized I'm pretty picky when it comes to vegetables and fruit. Almost all the sale items I didn't like so I ended up paying full price for several things. With it being off season here in MI, that added up quick. If this is something I keep doing long term, I really need to expand my horizons and try new things.

Hopefully I now have 4,000 grams worth of produce in the house to get me through Friday-I really don't want to go back to the store lol.

A huge problem with fresh produce is stores only stocking perfectly shaped and coloured items . Anything that looks of isn't stocked so there's more waste and higher costs . The shape d isn't matter for 800g. Any places sell oddly shaped cheaper f&v ?

One of our major supermarket chains sells a range called "the odd bunch". I think they are cheaper, and consist of bagged vegies that are generally too small/big/inconsistent etc compared to the expected standard.