10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    yzet1996 wrote: »
    I'll join for sure. This must be fun
    I will try this tomorrow to see if I can .

Welcome @yzet1996 :)

Yesterday I had
    Clementines 164g
    Banana 109g
    Yellow split peas 80g
    Onion 72g
    Spring onion 43g
    Mushrooms 111g
    Potatoes boiled with skin 80g
    Petis pois 45g
    Pickled onions 108g
    Fresh orange 80g equiv
    Total = 892g or 11 servings

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of days to catch up on, but I had the chance to go to the grocery and actually get the fridge filled back up with all kinds of veg, and did some meal prep yesterday, so I am now ready to go!

Saturday:

110g raspberries
    100 g strawberries
    40 g grapes
    300 g tomatoes
    200 g apple
    2 servings freeze dried mango
    1 serving pizza sauce

So that probably comes to 12 1/2 servings. Not my greatest.

Sunday:

1 serving juice ( I actually had a huge bloody mary and a huge amount of wassail, but only am counting one per rules)
    100 g dill pickle
    40 g celery
    3 c spring mix
    200 g cherry tomatoes
    250 g apples
    1/2 c chickpeas
    1/2 c cauliflower
    1/2 c pickled onion

So that's probably 14 servings.

It kind of puts a cramp in my style having eggs benedict with hash browns for breakfast one morning, and King Cake the next morning, but that apparently doesn't stop me from shoveling the veg in. Don't ask me about my calorie totals for the days, though. It ain't purty.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't been counting yet, but getting prepared (and I bought some batteries so now have a working scale). Made a big bean stew with lots of veg, will have to estimate the contents.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... I think I may have to reconsider and drop out. I'm a diabetic. Looking at my food for yesterday, which was a pretty typical day, I seem to have about seven servings (don't weigh low calorie dense vegetables, so some estimates) and that was about my maximum for carb intake. I took my blood sugar several times, and it was about as high as I like to see it, so increasing my carbs is not an option. Almost all of my carbs came from non-starchy vegetables and fruits, with one small corn muffin with dinner, so there are no "junk food" carbs I can drop.

Sorry, ten servings of fruit and veg a day is not a good way of eating for my health! Carry on, the rest of you, and remember eating fruit daily lowers your risk of diabetes!

Here's what I had:

Breakfast: mueslix made with apples and cranberries, plus cottage cheese with salsa, and garnish of pickles, tomato, and carrots
    Apples in mueslix: one half
    Cranberries: one half
    Tomato, Pickles, Salsa, Carrots: together equals one
    Breakfast: two servings

Lunch: chicken lettuce pesto wrap with craisins and a salad
    Spinach on sandwich .5 cup one
    Salad: Tomatoes 25 g, Carrots 21 g, Cucumber: 40g - together equals one
    Spring mix: 35g - half
    Craisins: 14g - half
    Lunch: two servings (note - craisins were not a good idea, blood sugar spiked)

Dinner: baby back ribs with black eyed peas made with onions and apples, and a corn muffin
    Black-eyed peas: .5 cup (legume counts once a day)
    Onions, Apples: approx 1 serving
    Dinner: two servings

Blood orange: about one serving, didn't weigh
    Snacks: One

Total: about seven servings

@rheddmobile, I don't want to sound presumptuous as I don't have diabetes, and you obviously know how to manage your condition as well as eat what you like, but to me your choice are all higher sugar... Eating more fruit and vegies would be easy if you ate different things?
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    So I was completely busy today so ended up processing a med head cauliflower until it turned to rice and ate it with a small portion of beef.

Supposedly that is 550 grams.

I know it's not diverse and it's worth one portion based on the website but does that still Count?

I also need to shop..ended up using a lot of my veggies for homemade stalk ...oops.

Going to def. Work on eating veggies based off the websites suggestion so that I have more of a colourful diet then just one veggie.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    So I was completely busy today so ended up processing a med head cauliflower until it turned to rice and ate it with a small portion of beef.

Supposedly that is 550 grams.

I know it's not diverse and it's worth one portion based on the website but does that still Count?

I also need to shop..ended up using a lot of my veggies for homemade stalk ...oops.

Going to def. Work on eating veggies based off the websites suggestion so that I have more of a colourful diet then just one veggie.

550 grams is almost 7 servings, so great job on the bulk side of the equation! Just shake it up in a different direction tomorrow. It’s just juice and legumes that are limited to one serving, and for some of us skin on potatoes if we are choosing to count those.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Hmm.... I think I may have to reconsider and drop out. I'm a diabetic. Looking at my food for yesterday, which was a pretty typical day, I seem to have about seven servings (don't weigh low calorie dense vegetables, so some estimates) and that was about my maximum for carb intake. I took my blood sugar several times, and it was about as high as I like to see it, so increasing my carbs is not an option. Almost all of my carbs came from non-starchy vegetables and fruits, with one small corn muffin with dinner, so there are no "junk food" carbs I can drop.

Sorry, ten servings of fruit and veg a day is not a good way of eating for my health! Carry on, the rest of you, and remember eating fruit daily lowers your risk of diabetes!

Here's what I had:

Breakfast: mueslix made with apples and cranberries, plus cottage cheese with salsa, and garnish of pickles, tomato, and carrots

Dinner: baby back ribs with black eyed peas made with onions and apples, and a corn muffin

@rheddmobile, I don't want to sound presumptuous as I don't have diabetes, and you obviously know how to manage your condition as well as eat what you like, but to me your choice are all higher sugar... Eating more fruit and vegies would be easy if you ate different things?

I was thinking the same thing...there are a lot of vegetables that even Keto adherents can eat. I looked back through my diary over the past few days and see that raspberries 110 g have only 3 g of carbs and 8 g of fiber. Cauliflower is another veg with a good profile. I think leafy greens are also encouraged under Keto. It just makes it a lot more challenging when you’re not enjoying lovely peaches and apples! :o:o
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So not yet weighing consistently, although I used the scale some

half an avocado (didn't weigh, about 75 g)
    about 150 g butternut squash
    about 100 g mixed (frozen) mustard greens, collards, and kale
    about 100 g fennel
    about 150 g cauliflower
    mixed beans in a stew that included carrots, celery, leeks, and beets -- I'd count it as 2 servings of veg
    about 50 g radicchio
    a tomato
    jalapeno, onion
    zucchini

cup of strawberries
    cup and a half of pineapple (once I started I decided to finish what I had)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Today I've got:

100g mixed berries (frozen, thawed, in my oatmeal)

In mushroom "stroganoff":
    - 284g mixed mushrooms (frozen)
    - 101g yellow onion
    - 88g green peas (frozen)

36g celery (raw)
    37g avocado (raw)
    38g tomato (raw)

In high-speed soup:
    - 150g cooked black beans (counted as 80g - sigh!)
    - 132g diced tomatoes (jarred)

Not counting the red lentil penne or the sriiracha, even though they're technically vegetable, because they're somewhat close to pretty much nearly almost totally processed, I guess. ;)

So 896g, just over 11 servings.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Here's what I had:

The only lower carb things would be green leafies, and I don't see any benefit to adding more leafy greens when I've already got more than the recommended amount. I didn't look at this challenge before starting - the actual government recommendation on the linked page of the first post is HALF what the challenge suggests. Which is fine for me. Also, I have no desire to stop eating fruit, that would not benefit me in any way.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

Here's what I had:

The only lower carb things would be green leafies, and I don't see any benefit to adding more leafy greens when I've already got more than the recommended amount. I didn't look at this challenge before starting - the actual government recommendation on the linked page of the first post is HALF what the challenge suggests. Which is fine for me. Also, I have no desire to stop eating fruit, that would not benefit me in any way.

@rheddmobile The UK 5-a-day is just the food list for the challenge. Actually, since you are in the US, you should be consuming a minimum of 5 servings of just vegetables a day, with an additional 3 servings of fruit per US govt guidelines--this is for a sedentary woman, so the more active you are, the more you are encouraged to fit in. With 10+, we are all just challenging ourselves to go above and beyond, until we can become Jedi Masters of Veg like some on this thread.

I think you did a great job on your first day, with 7 servings! The trick is just to edit out the things that cause the spikes (craisins) and add in more of the very low-carb things, such as the raspberries I mentioned, or any of the things on this list:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/21-best-low-carb-vegetables#section12

And regarding leafy greens...I note that a) you are from Memphis, and b) you had baby back ribs....and c) no greens??? C'MON! My mouth is just watering thinking of the big old pile of collards or mustard greens cooked with a little fat back that you could have put alongside those ribs and black eyed peas! :D Time and again I have heard people mocking the healthfulness of Southern foods, and I always jump on to inform them they are dumb@sses because there is not much healthier than a balanced meal and a huge side of greens. (I note people like that also love to yammer on about kale, which is just collards with a fancy marketing campaign behind it.)

At any rate, it is up to you and your comfort level as to whether you want to do the challenge, but you are pretty darn close, and we are always here to make suggestions as to what to have alongside your barbeque! :#:p
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/23/five-day-10-portions-fruit-veg-cut-early-death

The challenge started because of this article that the recommendation of 5 is too low and the UK Government is going to increase it to 10.
    I for one didn't think this was possible but so we started a challenge to be guinea pigs so to speak.

The benefits it gave me were great, so I re do the challenge quite often.

• French_Peasant
    Options
    I only got in 10 servings yesterday, since I didn't eat the entire lunch I had planned, and since my main meal at dinner was chicken pozole (which is made with peppers, but that's kind of a juice, and hominy, which is made from dry corn so I guess it counts as a grain, dang it).

2 176 g clementines
    .5 1/4 c chickpeas
    .5 1/4 c cauliflower
    2 1 cup shredded cabbage
    1 1/2 cup mango salsa
    1 can of v-8
    1.5 120 g banana
    1.5 120 g strawberries
    _____

I also found this fascinating article (to me!) on how to nixtamal corn for hominy and grits. https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/seasonal-recipes/how-to-make-hominy-corn-zebz1305znsp
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Here's what I had:

@rheddmobile The UK 5-a-day is just the food list for the challenge. Actually, since you are in the US, you should be consuming a minimum of 5 servings of just vegetables a day, with an additional 3 servings of fruit per US govt guidelines--this is for a sedentary woman, so the more active you are, the more you are encouraged to fit in. With 10+, we are all just challenging ourselves to go above and beyond, until we can become Jedi Masters of Veg like some on this thread.

I think you did a great job on your first day, with 7 servings! The trick is just to edit out the things that cause the spikes (craisins) and add in more of the very low-carb things, such as the raspberries I mentioned, or any of the things on this list:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/21-best-low-carb-vegetables#section12

And regarding leafy greens...I note that a) you are from Memphis, and b) you had baby back ribs....and c) no greens??? C'MON! My mouth is just watering thinking of the big old pile of collards or mustard greens cooked with a little fat back that you could have put alongside those ribs and black eyed peas! :D Time and again I have heard people mocking the healthfulness of Southern foods, and I always jump on to inform them they are dumb@sses because there is not much healthier than a balanced meal and a huge side of greens. (I note people like that also love to yammer on about kale, which is just collards with a fancy marketing campaign behind it.)

At any rate, it is up to you and your comfort level as to whether you want to do the challenge, but you are pretty darn close, and we are always here to make suggestions as to what to have alongside your barbeque! :#:p

Funny you should mention the ribs... they were done in an Instant Pot at the recommendation of others, and I won't be doing them that way again! Memphis dry rub in my future, thanks. And no greens because we have eaten greens until they were coming out of our ears recently.

My A1c right now is 4.7 and I'm pretty satisfied with my control - not going to mess about with my very effective diet for the sake of meeting an arbitrary number, with no benefit to myself.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Did a better job measuring today (still finishing up a couple of things I made without weighing). Rounded for adding convenience.

170 g butternut squash (roasted)
    100 g spinach (frozen)
    90 g fennel
    200 g brussels sprouts
    80 g zucchini
    55 g radicchio
    45 g mushrooms
    105 g broccoli
    tomato (in a marinara sauce -- count as 1)
    onions, garlic
    mixed bean dish with various veg (count as 2 servings again)

105 g strawberries (frozen)
    170 g apple

Pleased with today.
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    243.99 carrots
    1.98 celery
    45.48 tomatoes
    140 chickpeas
    15 jalepino
    301 cucumber

These foods were used in a home made soup and a salad for my lunch and dinner

Rainbow salad mix in late night snack (mixture of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower) added together for 113.5

All together 860.95 so proud this is my first day actually making it since I joined!!!!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    243.99 carrots
    1.98 celery
    45.48 tomatoes
    140 chickpeas
    15 jalepino
    301 cucumber

These foods were used in a home made soup and a salad for my lunch and dinner

Rainbow salad mix in late night snack (mixture of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower) added together for 113.5

All together 860.95 so proud this is my first day actually making it since I joined!!!!

Great job! It's pretty cool the first time that you make it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Well done @abowersgirl :)

Yesterday I had
    Orange juice 80g equiv
    Banana 99g
    Clementines 281g (I wanted the net empty to use for banana chips for squirrels)
    Swede 74g
    Onion 46g
    Potatoes 80g equiv
    Mushrooms 144g
    Sweet potato 70g
    carrot 70g

Total 948g 11.8 servings

I might be low today as I'm going out to a pizzeria for Dinner. I'm on 372g before hand but can't see it getting any higher unless I have fruit and ice cream before bed.
    Making the most of having to be higher calorie to recover from surgery ;)

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Did a better job measuring today (still finishing up a couple of things I made without weighing). Rounded for adding convenience.

170 g butternut squash (roasted)
    100 g spinach (frozen)
    90 g fennel
    200 g brussels sprouts
    80 g zucchini
    55 g radicchio
    45 g mushrooms
    105 g broccoli
    tomato (in a marinara sauce -- count as 1)
    onions, garlic
    mixed bean dish with various veg (count as 2 servings again)

105 g strawberries (frozen)
    170 g apple

Pleased with today.

You should be, great amount.

I keep forgetting to buy fennel, I love it roasted with garlic as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Forgot to report yesterday, prolly 'cos I am a sad, sad fail-yuh.

Meh. Happens sometimes, especially on days involving restaurants. So, true confessions, January 9 edition:

100g mixed berries.

Restaurant salad, big, with romaine, cukes, tomatoes, avocados, and some pretty slices of pineapple and honeydew melon on the side - I'm thinking 4-5 servings of veggies/fruit, in all.

Ounce of crispy broad beans, so only partly veg.

Total, around 5-6 servings.

I could've come home and eaten some more veg - I had the calories. But I had my whole protein goal in, so I went to the brewpub and had a delicious craft IPA instead, sending me soaring a whole whopping 8 calories over my calorie goal.

I think I'll live. ;)

Another restaurant tonight, but I think they have zoodles with marinara, so it could come out OK.