SueBDew in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    16,000 steps
    189 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    191 minutes riding the exercise bike
    30 pushups against kitchen counter (first time since spine surgery)

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: If you have kitchen inspiration to spare I could use a bit. I'm not much interested in cooking at the moment, but DH is craving all sorts of things. I think this will be a breakfast for dinner day. Fine with me. I'm not in charge. And that is the good part. He's feeling good enough to want to cook. It has been a while since he felt good. :bigsmile:

Becca: Enjoy your ham hock heaven feast. It looks wonderful. I love your bowl. It makes a pretty photo, fit for one of those gourmet food magazines. :smiley:

Barbie: If I had my choice we'd have year round daylight time. I think living above 45th parallel has made me crave as much light as possible. As a kid I wanted the most light at the end of the school day so I could play outside, and I was happy when daylight time was created. As a teacher I dreaded the long drive home in the dark so daylight time made a nice improvement then, too. :smiley:

I had a long chat with my grandchildren on facetime today. I am still feeling the pleasure of going to DGD's bedroom with her so she could show me her space and her favorite things. Then DGS took me for his walk around the house. It was quite a trip. DGS is two. DD showed me the baby, who is thriving and enormous. So far he isn't interested in facetime talks with grandma. He's only 5 months old. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth you are one strong woman. Stay strong, hopefully the blizzard will stay south of you and Wednesday will be an easier commute to the surgery. I agree you guys should get an easier generator!

All set for the big blizzard here, at least I get to teach and get to my appointments tomorrow--probably home bound on Tuesday and Wednesday! Also grateful that we don't need to be anywhere and having DD as an extra shoveler is not a bad thing. So much for dreams of Spring :/

NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    912683kz20i5hq5g.gif

Hope all had a good weekend! Onward to the week ahead!

Cheri
    BCS, TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    llll
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    beth we have whole house generator that comes on automatically when the power goes out, it's wonderful! We got it after I'd just had it with the small generator. DH on business trip I come home late from the office in pouring rain, no power, can't open garage door, get soaked trying to open the door to the house so I can then get on a ladder to reach the garage door release, haul out the generator do the pull cord etc. an hour and a half later I said never again. Went out that weekend and made the purchase. One time it ran for 5 days after a particularly bad nor'easter took down trees all over town.

Kayla I love daylight savings time too. When we lived in Michigan I think it was almost 9 before it was dark here it's 8ish, love the light.

Lois on the North Shore of Ma getting ready for 12-18" of snow, maybe blizzard conditions, which means that generator will be generating
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Soooo after my soup heaven, I am sitting on the couch sipping coffee, and had my dinner of 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter! This is what I fixed for my guys...v147wtxr9vcl.jpg
    Fluffy tapioca cream!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Becca, Annabelle is a cutie.

NYKaren, I have Insta Pot envy, too but since I’ve never had a pressure cooker, not sure how much I’d use it that way. I have two, actually 3 crock pots and use them often. I just don’t have room to store another appliance. But I cook rice in a pot on the stove like Kelly does.

Katla, love the spring poem.

Heather, I love the picture of the kids. Tell Bea to stop growing up so fast…..I like to have that baby around a bit longer.

Yinka, sorry the scale moved in the wrong direction but it will go back down.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

So many I didn’t respond to but wanted to read as much as I could tonight and hope to catch up tomorrow. The convention was very nice and the Induction Ceremony this morning was beautiful and meaningful. It was cold and raining when we left the hotel. That and the loss of an hour of sleep had me shaking my head. The clock says 9:30 and I’m almost ready for bed even though my body should think it’s just 8:30. I’ll probably wake up at 4:00.

Just saw this news flash:
    Police are searching for Mother Nature.
    They believe she is Bi-Polar and believed
    To be off Her medications.

(No offense to anyone with any mental health issues.)

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I sure wish we had a generator. How much do they cost???? We don't have the kind of winters we used to, this year I think we only have had a trace of snow but in this valley we do have a lot of thunderstorms, even our fair share of tornados. So any power outages usually come from the storms. One year we had a really bad snow storm with a lot of wind which with the two houses at the end of our street, there was a huge drift that cut the entrance off to the main street. It has never been a 'let's have a block party so everyone can get to know each other' kind of neighborhood. But that day everyone had to pitch in and dig the entrance out so we could get to work and continue our lives. The people who live on the very end of the street have two big generators and stayed there while most of us had to move out for 2 weeks while power was out. I got to know my daughter real well!!! We went back every day to check on our cat, feed her, play with her and just make sure she was OK.

My daughter has a fit bit and I guess the different Cintas's in this area are having a challenge through their health insurance. She said there was some one who was getting about 50,000/day and was wondering how she got it so she did an experiment with hers. She put it in a sock and hung it up on her ceiling fan. But she forgot about it with all the antics her dogs do. When she remembered it she had 32000, on a non work day. She does a lot of walking at work so that was huge. Now she just needs to figure out how to delete those steps!

Well I had that waffle tonight :# My weight will not be the same tomorrow morning.

Joyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

This is the Instant Pot I have. It cost $69 on sale. I see it is $99 now. They will go on sale again. I love my IP. I really like it for hard-boiled (steamed) eggs. They peel like a dream. Recently I made moist, tender chuck roast in it. I have made cabbage rolls, asian chicken, bone broth, bean soup, and several other meals since I got it for Christmas. Apparently you can make fantastic cheese cake in it. I haven't made yogurt yet but I am going to.

Karen in Virginia
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hugs to everyone
    Paula Y
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Generators come in a range of sizes. One of our sailing friends has a small gas powered generator that he uses on sailing trips so that he can watch TV in the evenings. A house sized generator that powers lights and heat would likely be bigger and more expensive. If you have lots of power outages, you might want a generator that is big enough to keep your furnace running & some lights on. We don't have one at all. :flowerforyou:

Katla
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Finished pg 28.

Joyce- I am so glad that your nephews are in recovery. They sound like remarkable young men.

Beth - "Korean" diet as I understand it features a lot of veggies and eating more fermented food such as kimchi.

Karen in Virginia - Olivia is looking very alert. I am so glad that she is making progress. Continuing to pray for her.

Charleen - Congratulations on being accepted into the quilt show. I still love "Snow Bird"

Katla - Happy to hear that your DH"s surgery went well.

Carol in GA - Suicide is so heart breaking. It is so hard for the survivors to deal with.

SueBDew -I hope you feel better soon.

Sarah - Could your cravings be related to this never ending winter weather? We crave sunshine but we will take SWEETS. Change is hard for people.

Lisa - Your wedding dress is spectacular.

Rita - Such a precious photo. I hope the tooth fairy found him.

It's been a busy kind of weekend. We filled it with visiting, a faulty hot water heater, a flooded basement, grandkids, supper with friends and a movie.

Chinese food is a land mine for No Sugar. Friday, Larry had to fix our hot water tank. He wanted Chinese food so I ordered it. I was able to avoid the sauces.

Saturday night we went to friends. The salmon was so delicious. We took wine and I drank about 8 oz. I was surprised when I plugged in the Moscato that it showed no sugar.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I woke this morning with a headache. I know this annoyed Larry as I got very little done. Before we went to the movie DH (doesn't mean dear) informed me that I needed to do something with my hair as I looked like an old hag. Wow! I had already conditioned and brushed it. DD says I should tell him to do something about his wrinkles.
    We went to see Lion. It is a compelling story.

DS texted me tonight that she had a very boring weekend. I asked why she didn't call me and the answer was because then I would have wanted her to come over. Nope, I am quite okay with a little distance for now.

Took DGD to buy her reward for reading 7 books and writing them down. I went a little over budget but we found an adorable dress for $20 at Winners. She really wanted cute boots but there were none to be had. The next reward will be when she reads 14 more books. She is such a little diva. I so enjoy spending time with her.

Trying to find a wedding photo to post on here. We will be married for 35 years on March 20th.

Another day

-Sharon in Lethbridge ( it snowed more)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Jayne: Sorry to hear about your dad's fall; a broken hip at 95 is hard!

Lisa: Congratulations on kicking the smoking habit! Having watched my dad have two smoking-related strokes, I am happy when someone I know stops. For some reason, women here in France tend to smoke more than men.

Debbie: Congratulations on the 2000 miles:

Ginger: Love the retaining food cartoon!

Rori: The shrimp cakes sound good.ad

Katla:
    I spend a lot of time trolling the web for tasty meals. My husband and I were remarking the other night that it is hard to tell most of them are low calorie. He is tall and lean (Jack Sprat and his wife here), so eats larger portions and adds a starch. This recipe for baked chicken tenders was good - http://www.wildeorchard.stfi.re/moroccan-chicken-goujons-with-herb-yogurt-dip. I didn't have the Moroccan spices on hand, so substituted dillweed and garlic salt.

It is getting easier every day to hit the 10,000 steps with my fitbit and I am finding walking up the hill without huffing and puffing quite so badly.

Hope everyone has a great week!

-Leigh in France
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    took a nap yesterday and was asleep by 6, this time change is a doozy.. well 15-25 inches tomorrow.UGH will Text my brother and call my dad to make sure he is all set.. don't know if he has a generator or not.. but does have a wood stove and a gas stove so they will be able to eat.
    I am sure Tom will stay home tomorrow,as I will, but I will have to make a decision on if I want to use personal or vacation time for the day lost.. isnt that sad..
    gonna hop in the shower and im sure I will be on the phone all morning rescheduling patients
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Leigh - Oh my gosh, the smoking in France!!! Arrrrgh! It almost puts us off holidaying there. We cannot sit outside having lunch under an umbrella because there is always some wrinkled woman smoking near us. DH hates it even more than I do. The young women also smoke,. They have bought into the myth that it keeps them slim. We love France, but we find the smoking a major problem. In the south of England now you rarely see anyone lighting up, even in pub gardens. I do not know anyone who smokes. I flinch when I see a smoker.
    My father died of emphysema in the most horrible prolonged death and my mother died as a consequence of breathing his secondary smoke.

Our weather news has featured your projected East Coast snow storms. I hope it passes quickly and isn't too awful. <3

The heating guy has ordered a new fan and it may be here by tomorrow. Today is sunny so not too bad, but we have been cold in the rooms without fires. We have hot water. Our boiler is old, but we hope it staggers on long enough for us to move without replacing it. The fan is expensive enough, plus labour. :sad:

We won't be here for the repair man on Wednesday after 10 am as we are going up to London for lunch with DH's younger daughter and two exhibitions at the RA. I am a member, so it's free entry for us. One is America After the Fall, paintings from the Depression, and the other is Russian modernists, which I have seen before. My membership runs out at the end of March so we want to get them in now. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well weren't we a chatty bunch this weekend. I imagine all of us drinking our preferred beverages around a very large table.

Becky congrats on your loss, that is the size of an average car tire!
    Lenora love the story. I am utterly amazed at that type of talent.
    Bethwe have a standby generator. There were many different types and it depends on the strength you need. You can have it powerful enough to run your whole house or just selected parts. Ours starts itself up weekly as a test and the company comes to service it yearly. Happy to chat more with you.

Just about to weigh in, hoping to be under 207, trying for 203 by the end of March. Yeah, it is 206.8!

Take care and have a great day! <3 Sarah

weight.png

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Take good care everyone facing bad weather. Stay in if you can and stay safe!!

Today I work and then have my physical. I am hoping that my numbers are good, at least I will have a bit more information and that's a good thing right?

No gym for the next few days (shoveling is a great calorie burn) but I'm stocked up and ready to shake the daylight savings' lag that I get-I slept only 2 hours last nite!!!! :#

NYKAREN