Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    mmmm
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about being Gluten free,but DD sent this info.She is always afraid I'm doing a wonky diet! :)

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/health/article/2017/03/13/faddish-gluten-free-diet-may-be-raising-your-diabetes-risk
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lisa, congrats on your no smoking milestone. There are many who say that quitting smoking is harder than quitting alcohol or cocaine
    <3 Barbie in NW Washington

Another reformed smoker here.My feeling is quitting cigs is easier than losing weight.You can toss the cigs,but not so easy in a food society like ours.How many of us could quit smoking if we needed to shop & bring them home? Not me,I'm sure.

BTW....one (maybe the only) perk of getting older is having so many aches & pains......adding cigs is a no brainer >:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) Listening to all the snowstorm and power outages stories, I'm grateful that all I have is a light rain and darkness to deal with this morning.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Thinking about all of you who having to face winter storms...my heart goes out to you all. I don't think I could survive in cold, blizzard weather. Never shoveled snow in my life.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Allie we had snow too yesterday, but nothing like you. Drove my new car to a funeral 45 miles away in the weather. It handled well. The scares I had was getting on the freeways. Once someone cut me off, but my blind spot warning light saved me. The other was when someone could not let me in. The ramps were snow packed so I couldn't slow down to get into the flow of traffic. My side vision saved me on that one. I was able to ease back and I did get in. Another friend who left the funeral later said she had to white knuckle her way home and it took her two hours. I went with another friend and we only stayed through the visitation and the first couple of songs. The distance to the funeral and weather were the reasons we didn't stay.

Alle take many breaks as you dig your way out. We have had those kind of snows and they are awful to clear.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Nnnn
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rita, congrats on getting the RV! You're doing so well, look forward to the pics.

Lisa in West Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Leigh in France: I think dill would be a lovely seasoning to add to dips for chicken. Do you think it would be nice added directly to the chicken? I avoid dips when possible because I'm too tempted by them to keep my consumption moderate. :embarassed:

Heather: You and I have another thing in common, a distaste of being anywhere in the vicinity of cigarette smoking. My parents were both chain smokers. As a child, my clothes stank, our house stank, and they both smoked in the car while we drove anywhere. I was always car sick & had chronic bronchitis in the fall and winter. When I moved out & went to college, I never lived with smoking again. YAY!!! I wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house & my parents thought I was doing it just to them. In recent years laws have been passed to keep people from smoking in restaurants, bars & taverns here in Oregon. Yay! This is true in some other states, too but I don't know how many. :bigsmile:

Patceoh: I enjoyed your article. DH went gluten free for a while. He is not a celiac. Eliminating gluten didn't help his health and added calories to otherwise healthy foods. We returned to using flour in our cooking. :star:

Barbie: I agree with you about feeling blessed to deal with only winter darkness and rain. Snow is nice once in a while, but we've had a good portion of it already this year. One problem we have when it snows is that so many people don't know how to drive in snow. I can drive just fine due to four-wheel drive, but don't really seem to be competent at walking in snowy conditions. :embarassed: I fell on black ice once several years ago and broke a wrist, and then did it to the other wrist a few years later when the black ice was hidden under a layer of snow. :ohwell:

Lisa: Give Corey my best regarding PT. My husband has been through a couple of rounds of it due to MS, and it has always been worth the time and discomfort. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I'm glad you found an RV that will suit your needs. YAY! There is one less thing to worry about. :smiley:

Yoga today--I hope. We've had some conflicts for our teachers lately and missing yoga is not a best-case scenario for me. I enjoy the classes themselves and definitely enjoy my improved strength and flexibility.

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Looking at the news and weather predictions it looks like the Nor'Easter is going to be a doosy. Been though my share of them while living on the East Coast. Stay warm, stay dry and save the batteries in your emergency lanterns for the evening.

Charleen in Colorado (Secretly wishing we were getting the snow!)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Karen ~ You look great at your "normal" weight but I am sure you look great when not as you have a good heart and are a generous caring person.

Olivia and Katie are beautiful!

Had a huge salad with eggs, ham, cheese, bacon, tomatoes and lettuce. Way too many calories for lunch but only 10 carbs. For me, cutting out the carbs and upping the protein seems to be working. I don't get as hungry as I do when just doing CICO. I actually end up not taking as many calories in. My only fear is that this way of eating won't last. I have decided to have one day a week where I eat more carbs than usual and hope that helps me to stay on my new program.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Karen - Another beautiful pic. <3
    It is so great that you managed to dump some of those shifts. :flowerforyou: We often have more choices than we think we do. My own mother was a "martyr" and I have been allergic to martyrs ever since. :laugh: Don't moan about it, change it!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr! Too many people have a "Yes, but ........." mentality.
    I know you feel it is a long haul at the moment, but every little "win" will give you fuel for the next one. It is self fuelling. :D I well remember the day I suddenly thought about myself, "I am the kind of person who keeps my commitments to myself." Believe me, this was a real surprise to me as I used to be the most chaotic and procrastinating of people. I always just squeezed by and winged it and often let myself down. It wasn't until I had lost the weight, developed a good exercise habit and edited and published my book that I realised I was actually proud of myself and didn't have to apologise for feeling proud. I really was that person. I am that person. (Most of the time :laugh: )
    Good habits are vital in this process. As Barbie says, "Strategy is stronger than willpower." :D I have zilch willpower, but I do have good strategies. :D

By the way, you have a lovely smile. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx