WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Love ALL the baby pictures, happy to see the little ones thriving, going home.

Mia - so glad you're still with us--we missed you when you were gone.

Chris in MA
    - ditto. :)

Penny
    - glad all turned out OK, but yeah, I would have made that call, too. Silly TV people. Risking your own life is one thing--risking others' lives is not acceptable.

Allie, my dear heart - I want to add advice, solace, comfort. But until I could look at my now ex-husband and think "I'd rather die alone than live with you," I couldn't leave. It wasn't hate, there wasn't enough emotion left for that. I know it's scary as all get out. But Tom has no real reason to change. You know I'm hoping for the best.

Morning, all... Trying to get into a routine - an hour and a half to two-hour workout each morning at 6 a.m. except Tuesday, where it's only an hour, so I have time to cool down before I shower and jump in work clothes. Wednesday is my one day off of workign out, as it's press day and I start work at 4 a.m. or so. Deadline is 2 p.m., and I always shoot for noon, so there will be room for disasters to happen and still recover.

Switching to the recumbent elliptical for the biggest part of the workout has been of enormous benefit to my knees. Taping them up each morning has, as well. Have some medipore surgical tape that I order from Amazon, and the tape doesn't go around each knee, just across the front, where the pain is. Because it's medical tape, it sticks even through all the sweatiness... but isn't too painful to remove afterward.

Don't know why it helps so much, but it genuinely keeps the pain under control while I'm working out--I've had surgery on both knees in the past, and am trying to avoid replacements at least until I'm on Medicare--I only want to do them once in my lifetime. I use it on the painful areas of my right ankle, too, where I wrecked a tendon spraining it over and over again when I weighed 300 pounds... Amazing stuff. It may well be the placebo effect, but if so, well, I'm OK with that.

Wish I knew what it is that makes me stop logging. We've discussed it before--but some part of my brain seems to think if I don't log my food, then I didn't eat it. Logging in and of itself helps make me do what I'm supposed to do, food-wise. Someone said they keep a candy dish there because they should be strong enough not to eat it--that would be pure self-sabotage for me. Thank goodness Corey's very supportive of my eating right and losing weight. He knows I want every moment of time I can spend with him--and as I'm 9 years older, we figure we'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Gotta fly,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lisa - I was shown that taping by my physio. I use a less sticky one as a base and a normal one over that which I can pull tighter and stronger. (I have problems with my patella running smoothly in the groove) She explained it as saying that it does shift the patella over, but mainly it encourages different muscle groups to fire. She touched the muscles for me to show me how they contracted while I was moving the knee. I rarely have to tape my knee now as I have strengthened it so much through specific exercises every day. I would do if I were causing me trouble. It is by no means perfect (I can't do strenuous dancing, running etc) but for everyday functioning it is ok now. It used to be terrible and my leg was withering in strength as I favoured the other one.
    For this and many other reasons I consider exercise to be a miracle. I really love the work and food t shirt and that used to be me. I remember saying that many times on this thread :laugh: , but now I really value just being FIT and STRONG for its own sake. Yesterday we walked everywhere, some of it at a fast pace across the bridge etc. and it was a joy! :D I could never have managed all that five years ago. One exhibition would have killed me. My mobility was so low that I was breathless going up my house stairs. I had trouble getting into the car or even up a kerb when I was tired. For those new people who are just starting out on the exercise journey I can tell you, IT IS SO WORTH IT! :D And it is never too late. :noway:

Beth - Please don't torture yourself. Those things are toxic nastiness. They should not be in plain sight. I never trust my willpower. I have got very little. :laugh: I rely on good habits and good strategy.

They were saying on Woman's Hour today that divorce and marriage has increased in Britain among the over 65s. More people are ditching their rusty, destructive old marriages once the kids are gone and looking for something much more fulfilling. Marriage among the over 65s has increased by 54% !!!!!!!!!!! We all deserve to have a loving and supportive partner. I consider myself very blessed to have found my DH. (most of the time :bigsmile: )

Penny - Will show your story to DH. :o;)

Going veggie today. Butternut squash, chick pea and spinach/chard curry. Yummo. :D The last curry I made was much too hot for DH. Oooops! Must go easy on the chilli. :'(

Love to all, Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Paula – Yes, the ‘sickening smell’ of marijuana doesn’t help an already quesey stomache. What someone does behind their closed doors is their business; but, when it overflows into public domain … that ought to be a problem, even ‘if’ your State has voted in ‘marijuana’ for medicinal purposes. In most states, public places ban smoking cigarettes, but, it also should be a ban on smoking joints and/or blunts. IMHO!!!!!

Congrats to your DD’s engagement. When our youngest son told her he was going to ask his girlfriend to marry him. I told him that h needed to ask her Dad’s permission first. He asked me ‘why, she was an adult, had been married before and had a child’? EXACTLY! Mainly, because it is the proper thing to do out of respect. I think we all were surprised that he did. He impressed her parents by doing something that I guess might be a ‘Southern thing’. Her Dad told him, “… as long as you never ‘hurt’ her.” Then they got engaged while on an elk hunting trip that she had given to him for his birthday. He said it was perfect; then, when they got home, he asked that she give him the ring back, so that her daughter could watch him get back down on his knees and ask that they become a family. My DYS is a ‘hopeless romantic’. He has a wonderful relationship with his in-laws and he proved to him that he had been ‘brought up right’ (as DDnL#2 says). He even told us that Tami this, Tami that; and the clincher is when he told his Dad, ‘and, besides, she likes to ‘hunt and fish’. A marriage made ‘in Heaven’. They’ve started off their marriage by being honest; sometimes brutally so; but, they know each other’s life (in the past). They are living in the present; and, while they have dreams … they both realize that some might take time, some might not come to fruition, and, some just not as important if it doesn’t happen. He is her “Prince” and he treats her and her daughter ‘like Princesses’. Her words! I told her ‘if he doesn’t ak [sic] right to let his Mama know … I will straighten his @$$ out as he will always be my baby and I expect him to ‘ak’ [sic] right’!!!!

My son’s wife has a daughter; and he married someone his age. She was 9-years-old when they got married. I guess it would depend on his age. I married a man almost 10 years my senior and he had a daughter that I could not have possibly given birth to her. She was only 11-years-old when I first met her, I was 21. He and his ‘ex’ had gotten married right out of HS. I was a fairly young grandmother and my son and his 'ex' were expecting a baby; and he was 19 when they married. I’ll turn 66 in a couple of weeks, and she just turned 21 on the 12th.

I’m HAPPY that all these babies who have spent time in the NICU have gone home or are expected to go home. Prayers and {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to their parents!

Beth and Barbie – I’ve had my bladder checked to see if I was emptying it, too. Had to have a cystoscopy which proved that my ‘urge’ to go was due to smaller than normal bladder and it was in ‘constant’ spasms. Told to force a lot of liquids and to go to the restroom every 10 minutes whether I felt like I needed to, or not.

Joyce – Felt like I was being ‘ignored’ to some extent. Haven’t had anything to say. Been ill, sad news about classmate dying in the worst way possible, still in shock. Want to shut my eyes ‘tight’ and wake up to find that it was just a really bad dream. Frustration with trying to get ‘pay-offs’ so a loan will be approved and hitting brick walls all the way around; and, loan officer in San Antonio being a bit ‘bitchy’ and ‘pushy’ about it, saying 'they have to have letter forms - something I have absolutely no control over. Going to take last statements to local bank, who will probably be better to get the ’30-day letters of pay-offs’ or do whatever is necessary to make the loan officer satisfied that everything has been done. They were able to get a couple of things. I’ve been told 3 different stories each time I have called the creditors. Felt like the ‘messages’ I was writing were too long and not important enough. Learning to not appear ‘self-centered’. Thought that being human by telling what I had been through would show I could ‘relate’. Supposedly, they have already set a date for a 'full appraisal' just as soon as they get this information.

Lanette – I would also like the link about ‘personalities’.

Penny – Glad that your DH is safe and sound. I know that had to be ‘frightening’. What does he do that requires him to be on a boat? Military?

Kate UK – First thing I noticed about the statute is, she was missing the blindfold of ‘blind justice’.

Here is our facts about the Statute of Liberty given to America as a ‘gift’.
    * The Statue of Liberty is located on Liberty Island, in the New York harbor, USA.
    * The Statue of Liberty commemorates the American Declaration of Independence and was a gift from the people of France.
    * The statue was assembled on its pedestal after being constructed in France and sent to the US in crates.
    * It was dedicated on October 28, 1886.
    * The Statue of Liberty was designed by French sculptor Frederic Bartholdi.
    * The female form represented by the sculpture is based on Libertas, the Roman goddess of liberty. She holds a torch and a tabula anasta (tablet) that has the date of the American Declaration of Independence inscribed in it (July 4, 1776).
    * A broken chain also lies at the feet of the statue which is hard to see from the ground.
    * The official name of the Statue of Liberty is ‘Liberty Enlightening the World’.
    * The statue has been closed for renovation a number of times, including between 1984 and 1986 when the torch and much of the internal structure was replaced.
    * The Statue of Liberty stands 151 feet (46 meters) in height, and 305 feet (93 meters) from the ground to the torch.
    * The head of the statue was displayed at the World's Fair in Paris, 1878.
    * There was difficulty in the United States finding money to fund the project, especially after a financial crisis in 1873. A fundraising drive led by newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer was embraced by New Yorkers and helped push work forward. 80% of the donations were of less than $1.
    * Liberty Island was previously called Bedloe's Island.
    * There are replicas of the Statue of Liberty found in Paris, Las Vegas and many other cities around the world
    * The Statue of Liberty celebrates her birthday on October 28th in honor of the day she was officially accepted by the president of the United States in 1886.
    * Visitors must climb 354 stairs to reach the Statue of Liberty's crown (or take an elevator to a lower lookout point).
    * There are 25 windows in Lady Liberty's crown.
    * The seven spikes on the Statue of Liberty's crown represent either the seven oceans or the seven continents.
    * The statue is made of copper and is now green in color because of oxidation (a chemical reaction between metal and water) from evaporation of the seawater surrounding it.
    * The Statue of Liberty weighs 450,000 pounds (204, 100 kilograms).
    * The Statue of Liberty has size 879 sandals that are each 25 feet (7.6m) long.

I've only flown over it, the pilot banked the plane so that all passengers could see it. Like the Great Pyramids; you have no idea of the size until you see people standing near it. My BF who has been to Egypt twice has a picture of them and the blocks are well over 4-5x as high [and about 1.5 times as wide] as the people standing around them ... they are huge! It is almost incomprehensible to think they were built by 'slave labor' without any 'modern' equipment.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of TravelFit DVD. This uses the band. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout on the rebounder. Then we're supposed to go up to Jess' to help her move. I think she's stressing somewhat about this move, I'm not sure.

In a bit I'm going to go to the bank for Newcomers, then return the Audiobooks I took out of the library for our trip (I was glad to have them), visit with Lynette, then volunteer in the Green Room. Then I'm supposed to go shopping for a dress for the wedding. In a way, I really don't want to. But I know the reason. It's a sort-of confirmation that my little girl really is getting married and I'd like to keep her my little girl. But I'm going to get over it. She's so very pickey, my plan is to go pick out a few dresses that I like, take a picture of them, then let her decide which one she'd like for me to wear.

In a way I'm sad about the Y. I just found out that this guy was appointed CEO. That means that we most likely won't join another organization (like Charlotte's). I saw such a transformation when the Y in Titusville (which was really rinky dink) joined the Central Florida Y. They suddenly had money to expand. Now the membership has expanded. I'm sure this guy doesn't want to join another Y, that'd mean he'd lose his job.

Talking about those M&M's. As you know, Vince retired from Mars. They always had candy out for anyone to have. He just says that he's glad he retired before Dove expanded. Can you imagine -- I can easily see Mars putting freezers in the office and you can just take an ice cream bar whenever you'd like one. He'd be 400 pounds in no time....lol

Penny - so glad your hubby is safe.

Sarah - right now I'm working on a bee in ceramics. I bought the bisque and I just have to paint it. Next I'll probably work on a butterfly to hang up on the pergola over the equipment pad.

Lisa - There have been times when I just haven't logged something or else I know that I really underestimated how large the portion was,. But then I get back to healthy eating.

Lenora - I absolutely agree with you that it's only respectful that a guy ask the parent's permission for getting engaged. Pete asked us even before he asked Denise to marry him. Not that I'm at all crazy about him, but this is her pick and it's not my marriage. I'll just be here for her. I've found that since I've been drinking more and more water, my bladder seems to have gotten bigger. Maybe THAT'S why my stomach is so big....lol

Guess I'll be off to the bank soon.

Michele back in NC but still eating the grapefruit I bought in FL. Wish I'd gotten more
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Penny so glad everyone is okay. Hope DH stands firm if he does not think it is safe.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-10X 7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Walk every day! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 1/2 mile walks.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just hanging out and saying good morning... wishing everyone a great day.
    Betsy in NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Jmkmomm they are not related at all, they (to me) never looked alight, but now that Floyd is older, he's gotten a lot of the calm personality that rocky had, not all the time, but sometimes it comes out
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: I am so happy that the worst outcome for the excursion your husband was on turned out to be seasickness. I'm happy that the film crew seems to have learned an important lesson. :devil: :smile:

Lisa: "Wish I knew what it is that makes me stop logging." Flip Wilson had the exact answer we're all looking for. "The devil made me do it." The problem with that answer, of course, is that it takes our control away. Hang in there and listen to Heather. (((hugs)))

Lenore: I agree that smoking anything in public should be avoided. People need clean air to breathe. :flowerforyou:

I'm awake early and DH is still sleeping. I want to buy a new mattress for our guest room and he's dragging his feet. I wish I knew why. That will be easy once he says yes, because it is a simple matter of ordering the thing.

I hope to go to the stable today and lunge Arrow. I'd love a little horse time and I'll bet he'd love to get out of his stall and stretch his legs. We'll see how the day progresses.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    picgifs-cartoons-8178627.gifj
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    qqqqq
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    KJ - Aaaaaahhhhh <3<3<3

Well, what do you think!!!!!!
    The inlet to the washing machine has started leaking. Really fast dripping. There is an isolator valve but we can't turn it and don't want to break anything, so we've just turned the mains water off. :sad: :sad: :sad: Of course I was on to the plumber and he's coming as an emergency late afternoon. Hope he can fix it, or at least get us some water. :o There must be loads of water down behind the sink! Thank goodness it's a tiled floor in the utility room.
    We've just had a bill for £488 (over $500) from the boiler man, same company, and I have no idea if the two problems are related. Probably not. We are p÷××+# to say the least. What's going to be the third thing? :o>:)

DH has given the grass it's first cut. I have made the curry with some chard from the garden. :D The rhubarb is ready to pick tomorrow. :D<3 The sorrel is up that I use for sauce for fish. :D

Frustrated Heather in Hampshire UK XXXXXXX
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!

In the U.S., today is National Farm Rescuer Day, National Artichoke Hearts Day, National Everything You Do Is Right Day, and National Freedom of Information Day.

Becky - I was resistant to ebooks at first because I love books. Now I don't know what I'd do without it... no more trying to juggle a book on the exercise bike, no more hauling huge stacks of books through the airport when I travel. I can read on the bike but not on the Nordic Track, so when I use that I watch TV on my computer. I have to keep my mind busy or it gets bored and starts thinking up reasons to quit.

Toni - I rarely wear dresses too. Twenty years of working from home and several moves have wreaked havoc with my wardrobe. At the moment I only own one dress, and it's mostly reserved for funeral duty. I've been doing a lot of tunics and leggings lately (when I leave the house, that is... at work I'm usually wearing the closest thing to pyjamas without actually staying in my PJs). They're more comfortable than jeans, and when it gets hot they'll be much cooler.

Becca - Your lunch looks delicious! Salads are such a great way to get rid of any little bits of leftover protein.

Janet - Wow, Princess Mia is looking bright and alert! So glad she's home where you can spoil her!

Re - Food is my motivation for working out too! Exercise literally is the key to living a "normal," sustainable lifestyle. Unfortunately, lately I can't seem to whip myself into working out. Anyhow, you're right, you've got plenty to celebrate and that 365 days is just another number. Hope your poor husband is feeling better today.

Beth - Argh, why are so many men lousy patients? Go easy on yourself, you've got your hands full right now.

Cpopal6 - You're in! Welcome!

Pip - Your dogs are SO beautiful. I love seeing your pictures. Those faces just melt my heart.

Rachel - That's right, small steps. You have to start somewhere! Welcome to the group... it is a great source of encouragement and support.

Paula - Congratulations on your new fiance-in-law! So nice that you like him and feel they are well matched.

Ginger - LOL! Glad you can maintain your sense of humor with all the eye stuff going on.

Penny - What a scare! So glad your husband and the hapless film crew are OK.

Katla - Blast from the past! Maybe I can blame my lack of exercise on "the devil made me do it."

Today I'm going to take the first step toward getting out of this exercise slump I've been mired in. I think when I break for lunch, I'll listen to a guided meditation and then do one of my tai chi videos. Maybe that'll be a gentle way to get motivated again.

I need to plan ahead on calories today. Every third Thursday our town has an open house event downtown, where people can shop, listen to music, etc. Philip always sets up his massage chair in one of the shops as a way to introduce himself in the community, and I usually go with him and wander around. There's generally beer involved, so I'll need some cushion.

Y'all be kind to yourselves today.

-Yvonne in TX
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I used to very rarely wear dresses too, partly because I hate my legs and hate panty hose even more. I did occasionally dress up with "hold up" stockings for a special occasion that involved heels and no walking. :laugh: Never felt comfortable. Recently I've been wearing more dresses with silky leggings, socks and ankle boots. Problem solved! It obviously doesn't work for a formal dress, but my red dress works fine that way and a couple of others. Skirts too. Very happy.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mae wrote "Janetr – My mom had Macular Degen. and treated it for years. The eye specialist told her to have all her children do eye exercises and checks along with special vitamins to aid in eye health because M.D. runs in families. Do you have siblings and/or children? Let them know."

One of my older sisters has it too, she had to quit driving several years ago but other than that does ok. I have been taking special vitamins for about two years now.

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    On my way! Hang on Joaquin; grandma's coming!

You truly just made me laugh out loud. Enjoy every second!!!!!

Janetr OKC