How Do You Deal With the Toxic/Negative People in Your Live?

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    Dad is abusive. I recognize that much, and he has been my entire life. He's a diagnosed narcissist, so part of his personality is to put people down. I sort of accept that, and try not to to let it get to me. There are times that's not as easy though.

I think it stems from his own weight. He's around 330lbs, but insists he's losing so much weight that doctors are worried. I do have issues, and I'm working slowly but surely to get my weight under control. He just makes it difficult.

And the end of the phone conversation is that he wants me to take him to a steak house tomorrow. The pattern continues.

Because of this, you can't take anything he says seriously.

I'd have been out of that situation as soon as I was able to leave home. No one gets to mess with my mental health like that.

When you have been raised by toxic parents it's really hard to totally leave.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Dad is abusive. I recognize that much, and he has been my entire life. He's a diagnosed narcissist, so part of his personality is to put people down. I sort of accept that, and try not to to let it get to me. There are times that's not as easy though.

I think it stems from his own weight. He's around 330lbs, but insists he's losing so much weight that doctors are worried. I do have issues, and I'm working slowly but surely to get my weight under control. He just makes it difficult.

And the end of the phone conversation is that he wants me to take him to a steak house tomorrow. The pattern continues.

Because of this, you can't take anything he says seriously.

I'd have been out of that situation as soon as I was able to leave home. No one gets to mess with my mental health like that.

When you have been raised by toxic parents it's really hard to totally leave.

Yeah, I believe it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    My father passed away some years ago, but after my mom died, I was the only one who cleaned house for him, took him shopping, etc. He would always say things to hurt my feelings & I would have a good cry when I got home, very stressful. For me personally, a friend told me when he says hateful things, just say under my breath, "I don't receive that in the name of Jesus" I am a christian, so it's not a "magic" anything, it's just affirming it in a whisper that it won't get under my skin. For me, it made the world of a difference. Some time after doing this, I started seeing him in a different light, that he was coming from his own pain & that he really did love me, just didn't act it in the way I could feel it. By the time he died, my bitterness against him was gone & I am so glad I got to see him from a different point of view & why he was that way.
  • ClaraKnepper
    ClaraKnepper Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are a few really good books that I would highly recommend. One is called, the gaslight effect, and it's about dealing with people like your dad. The other is, beautiful you: a daily guide to radical self acceptance. Remember that his malice isn't about you. He needs to break you down in order to support his own sense of self. He's probably secretly terrified of his own helplessness and inadequacy and taking it out on you. It is totally okay to tell him when you're done listening and he needs to shut up. A relationship with you is a privilege not a right.
  • ProgressNotPerfectionIAmEnough
    Options
    I respect that you take care of him. Our parents are our parents. Have you told him how his comments make you feel? Sometimes people are insensitive and don't even think about it. My suspicion is that this is not the case. His comments aren't appropriate, respectful, or healthy. If you haven't talked to him about it, I would. I'd give him one chance to stop. Then I would never eat with him again. You don't need to allow anyone to demean you. Not anyone. Some people we can cut out of our lives. Those we cannot or choose not to, we don't enable. He doesn't get to hurt you. <3
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    @DoneWorking Your suggestion is really good.

I've been thinking about this and OP a lot too. It's so rough and unfair to be put in a position like she described.

My love to her and you. :smile:
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    of.

I'm doing my best. I did help him yesterday and take him and his dog (his little dog too!) to his ex-wife. Later, we went out to eat at a steakhouse. I had chicken, small salad, and broccoli. He had a rack of ribs, coleslaw, baked beans, and rolls. Sure enough, he told me I was eating way too much. I flat out told him that he was hurting my feelings, and I know I hadn't eaten too much. He 'apologized' for me being too sensitive.
    quote]

The " 'apologized' for you being too sensitive" jumps out at me. Right there was the point I'd have been saying see you later and walking out the door. "If you cannot respect me as a person, and therefore respect my feelings, I will no longer be spending time with you, because as a person, I refuse to subject myself to such abuse.
  • witchywoman167
    witchywoman167 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I know he won't change. Only I can change. It's not always easy because this has been a life long struggle. When I tell him to back off, that's when I get the comments about how I'm mean and hateful. Honestly, I do have a shorter temper when I'm with him because I'm already on edge.

I just can't let him derail me.

You're here asking for advice but when people make suggestions you have excuses as to why you can't do any of those things. Bottom line is, if you know you need to change you actually have to do it.

Who cares if he calls you mean and hateful?
    People like him always start whipping out the insults when things stop going their way.

Basically he's conditioned you to be a doormat. And there are only two ways to handle this.. separate yourself from the problem or change how you behave around him, stop giving in etc. And with this option, he's going to get meaner before he gets nicer. Bullies will always try to force you back into your familiar role.

Exactly! I was in a similar situation with my dad. Growing up, a dad is supposed to tell his little girl that she can be whatever she wants to be, she is a princess to be treated like royalty, she is beautiful, etc etc etc. All is got to hear was that I was going to end up 400 lbs like my mama, I'm never going to find a good man if I don't lose weight, why can't you be skinny like your cousins? The list goes on and on. I had my first child at 18, and when she was 4 months old, he called her fat and said she was going to end up and fat as me. I cut all ties with him RIGHT THEN. I was raises by a mother who was "conditioned to be a doormat" but my strength that day surprised me. None of us asked to be born, we don't always owe our parents ANYTHING UNLESS WE WANT TO. I'm not saying it's ok to be a jerk to your parents just because you want to, I'm saying that if they're abusive and have a negative impact on your life, it's ok to cut them off completely. Sorry for the long rant, but your story hits close to home!
  • witchywoman167
    witchywoman167 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Also, we are only given so many damns in this lifetime, so learn to conserve yours.

That's awesome! I'm going to have to use that!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar.

In a spray bottle. Right in the eyes.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Have you considered assisted living?
  • Arturojaquez
    Arturojaquez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you need to put your foot down and tell him you won't help him if he continues to talk to you that way. Being your father isn't an excuse for him to be a complete jerk to you. No one deserves that..... if he continues you don't have to cut him off completely but I would limit interaction with him and tone him out...
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that I wrote 'Live' instead of 'Life.' The English teacher in me is groaning.

I actually am doing better with my father. He tried the controlling crap yesterday (it's a long story), but I didn't let him. I was upset, and I even cried, but I was glad I said no to him. It's still hard, but I'm taking steps.

One thing that I don't think I've said is that a lot of this started after he nearly died from sepsis. He lived about 100 miles away at the time. He called, and he was completely out of his head, so I rushed to him to take him to the hospital. He nearly died, and now I'm terrified the one time I don't come running will be the time he's really sick again.

Still, I rationally know I can't let him continue to control me and make me sick. Last time I ate with him, I took my food on the far side of the restaurant so that he couldn't watch me eat.