WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Well, Girls...

It's about *kitten* time... the scale FINALLY moved. I must have been retaining water (not food, after all, DJ!) because it vacated the premises this weekend and suddenly the scale was showing much more "expected" numbers. I was worried that maybe I had been doing something REALLY wrong in my logging, or measuring, or something - because it wasn't as dramatic as my water weight usually is - it kinda crept up on me. But, thank heaven, it's gone... til the next time.

Of course, I am going to attribute the WHOLE thing to going back to my old "magic" method of calling myself "Lightly Active" and not eating back the exercise calories. (er... except for tonight!. Note to self: Do NOT let DH make the casserole... the man used FIVE tablespoons of oil to brown the mushrooms.... ye gods! Tastes fantastic... but, Merciful Heavens! FIVE tablespoons... :s )

Anyhooooo.... I finally got to post a loss on the Summer Challenge and I might get somewhat close to my goal, yet. WHOOT!

I am three measly pounds from Onderland, Ladies. Anybody want to take bets on how long it takes for me to cross that threshold? LOL. At the rate of progress lately probably about two months~ :p

Not much excitement round these parts... Hanging in Limbo - trying to keep my nose clean as I do a little decluttering on my desk. It's amazing how much miscellaneous "stuff" you can gather in three drawers and a desktop over a seven year period.

Goodnight, Lovely Ladies.....

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
    rd74m6.png
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Michele - thanks for the reminder of the WII balance games. I will have to see if I can get mine hooked back up and then I could do the dance challenges also.

Katla - "Just want to be out of here" refers to work. I would love to travel but this will always be our home. (I think)

Heather - How many languages do you speak? I am getting back to work on my Italian but wonder if I will ever be fluent.
    That is a wonderful photo of your darlings.

Cheri - Congratulations on you new, low weight.

KJ - I predict that you and Joaquin will be the best of friends. He has very expressive eyes.

Lenora - My husband would be with Louis all the way on following behind someone who "thinks" they know how to paint. Another pet peeve is people that cut up the dry wall trying to use every piece up so that you have to use so much more tape and mud.

Re - You are so close to onederland that it is sure to motivate you even more.

Lisa - Our oldest granddaughter was diagnosed with BPD. It is really hard to maintain a relationship with her especially if you read her face book posts. DH has had a few arguments over things she posts. So many of them are just not true. I try to take the high road, be her grandmother and love her unconditionally. It isn't always easy because a lot of her posts do hurt. I hope your son gets the help he needs.

Keira and I baked Dirt Cookies yesterday. She almost quit when the mix master got away from her. There wasn't too much cookie batter on me and the walls. I convince her to continue. She ate one of the cookies but said she didn't really like it. Greysyn ate 4 so I guess that is the teenage stamp of approval.
    Greysyn and I had some good conversation. I did cancel my plans with the ladies on Sunday night because Keira had a cough and was so clingy due to homesickness for her Mom. I really wasn't well prepared to get them fed etc. this morning. I had to leave for work and Gramps drove them to work.

Today was a better day at work. I discovered that I won't be doing evals for the first time in 15 years. I am okay with this and don't even care what the reason is.

Jheri picked me up to go do some errands with her. I think she missed me. Yeah! They had a good time in the
    Dominican but she said it wasn't her favourite resort. I wish I tanned like my daughter but I usually burn and peel and maybe turn a darker shade of beige.

I walked from my sister's to home. I got halfway and my ankle gave out. I should have called Larry to pick me up but I was silly and continued to walk. Each step was excruciating. I really need to have it looked at. I know it is probably time to have the operation. I have been putting it off as long as possible as I have been told the next one will be the last time. Still haven't received the letter about my SIN being changed into my current married name. Frustrated with the waiting.

Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kelly your visit with Joaquin brought back such happy memories of the times my mom visited me, I cried remembering how special it was to share such a precious new person with someone else- I also cried remembering how good it felt to have my mom taking care of things around the house <3 enjoy every bit of this-and I know how hard the travel part of this is. And that smile is pure <3

Glo enjoy the break from the boys, don't waver. It's good for them to realize how great you are ;)

Ginger I am curious too, you are very exacting and clear with your accountability, what is/was your profession?

Ladies, I proudly snapped up every senior discount while I was out shopping -think that means it is time to color my hair! But still I like the discounts !

Happily found my phone exactly where I left it over the weekend and it did me some good to take a break. Just got a recommendation on a novel "Lincoln in the bardo". Anybody reading it??

NYKAREN
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lanette Love your garden
    Cheri Congrats on your loss! What a huge step you have taken in regard to your relationship with your mother. It is not easy to face those things, good for you!
    KJ Joaquin is so delicious!!
    Tracey, Gail Welcome
    Ginger love your comments on accountability lol!
    Re so true about sugar

A weird thing happened yesterday. I had a very sore middle finger and it wasn't from flipping it off. I know what you are thinking. It was probably from my grasp on the elliptical. Anyway, when I would pull it to crack it, my neck would seize up and then crack.

On the eating front, I have been making poor choices. After I eat all my healthy food, I am snacking on just about anything. I know it is stress related with way too much going on at work so I need to get on top of this. Here's what is going on:
    • Need to teach 3 sessions of a two full day course so need to plan, organize and teach, so that includes registering everyone, finding the venue etc - first course is June 8/9
    • Changing positions June 1 so I need to clean my entire office and computer
    • Prepare orientation for the person replacing me
    • Orient the new person and hopefully they find someone before I leave or I will be doing everything :#
    • Plan the move, all the new computer related stuff including getting a new computer and making sure it is set up properly
    • Supporting my existing staff through this change
    • Planning the 25th anniversary of our program - May 25
    • Continue to run my program as well as I am the project manager of another big project which ends June 1
    • Support a number of teams in the hospital who are doing improvement projects
    • June 1 officially begin new project but until then, attend as many functions as possible to stay involved
    • Then of course there is a whole other list for the home front which just to name a few involves planting my garden, supporting my daughter who will have surgery in May...

Great, needed to get that out so I stop eating it!

Have a great day everyone <3 Sarah, Ontario.
  • kfisch340
    kfisch340 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning Everyone
    Just found this group. Been at this a while & having trouble losing weight. Doing all the "right" stuff. Getting discouraged, but hopefully having a group will help. Sounds like all of you are doing fabulous. Congratulations!
    I live in Central Ontario & weather is now starting to get nicer. I'm going to be 60 in September & decided to do a 5 K to celebrate- yes you can call me crazy. LOL. But I told others, so I am accountable. In my 4th week. Feeling ok & feels like clothes are looser - didn't take measurements at beginning - was so embarrassed over my size. Sigh....
    Now time to get ready for work.
    Have a wonderful day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Cheri - You are doing so brilliantly! :flowerforyou: It always amazes me that we start off on this "diet" business and then find we are entering into a whole programme of personal growth. <3Everything is related. This thread has been a miracle for me, including learning tolerance. :laugh: Some of the advice has been life changing and has prompted me to learn more. :D

Sharon - I speak pretty good French, though I am not "fluent", in the strict sense. My Spanish is ok for general use. I am learning German, very slowly, but I am sticking at it. I have holiday Italian, restaurants and stuff. I learnt Norwegian before I went on my Arctic cruise on Duolingo, but I couldn't hold a conversation. I understood quite a bit, but I have forgotten it all. I have a much better accent in all the languages than I do grammar. :laugh: I'm lucky that way. People do think I am especially talented in languages, but I definitely am not. I am just interested and persistent. Little and often is the key. My memory is terrible these days, but I reckon if I do it often enough something will eventually sink in. I do some German every day. :D

KJ - I'm in love with Joaquin. <3<3<3 I'm a bit sad that I won't have another tiny baby to love. Priceless.

Hope to visit the fishmonger today. Might have fish soup. Yummo!

Also going to pick up Bea's premium bond forms. I gave each of them £100 of bonds (a government saving scheme which has prizes) when they were christened, but these days you have to send in such a lot of identity stuff that I can't do it myself any more. My son is so busy he hasn't got around to sorting out Bea's. Grrrrrrrrrr! I will get the form, fill it all in and take it to him this weekend. Hopefully he will send in the proofs. :s I had my form and money returned twice for Edie because he hadn't done it. :sad:

DH woke up early this morning and was a little anxious. He didn't get back to sleep, but managed to talk himself into not panicking. <3 He is definitely making progress.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Heather great picture!

Beth I tried to make sauerkraut and was not successful. There are all kinds of books and recipes on the internet. I would like to try again. I just have not gotten around to it. If you try let me know how it works for you and tips you learn.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,784 Member
    Options
    Heather- may I suggest a hymilain (so) salt lamp.for DH a dear elderly friend has anxiety and I brought her a salt lamp Sunday...Her daughter texted me.and said she slept through the night wonderfully... Could be a help.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    I switched to the buns and guns and abs challenge. Because I did not want my shoulder to go out again.
    7 push-ups
    25 leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    A little cold today! I am going to take 2-2 mile walk today. Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hydrogurl, Agree with what RE says! Sugar is a gateway drug.

Dr. Robert Lustig has a Youtube presentation - I think it's called "Sweet Poison" plus he's written a book called "Fat Chance" - which explains how the fructose in sugar doesn't trigger the "I'm full" switch in our brains, henceforth we keep eating it and eating it because it tastes good = our brains are happy. To me, he's right on the money. It's not fair B) I could easily eat 6 little snickers at 70 cal each.... but can't I eat 6 hard-boiled eggs at one time with the same calorie count. Well, I could but I wouldn't want to. :s If I was starving, one or two would probably do.

Becca, so glad you will continue to be with us on a daily basis! Sounds like toning down the TOPS involvement is a good plan. The story about your little guy at your mom’s funeral was touching – how neat that she and Betty Crocker had so much in common! Sounds like she was a busy lady with lots of love for everyone. My grandmothers were much like that – lots of love in every bite. We kids were so lucky to have grandparents in the same town when we grew up.

Cheri, how timely your Naturally Slim lesson is on forgiveness. Forgiving myself is a work in progress - not living in the past and harboring regrets for decisions I’ve made. I think that’s why I’ve been so attracted to Thich Nhat Hanh and others such as him throughout my life – he just posted this today: Let us fill our hearts with our own compassion - towards ourselves and towards all living beings.

Hey RE - so glad the scale moved! I had to laugh when you said your DH used 5 tablespoons of oil to brown the mushrooms. My DH used to help cook when I was working every day - I swear Paula Deen came to help him - if the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of butter, just dump in the whole stick! (I am exaggerating a little, but not much!) Mighty yummy tho! Just not used to taking a casserole out of the fridge the following day and seeing big hard clumps of butter puddled on top. I think you are on a roll and will get there fine. Decluttering the desk feels good, doesn’t it? When I retired last year, I dumped stuff from my drawers into boxes to sort through later and just finally pitched a lot this past weekend.

Gloria
    – glad to see you popping in- enjoy your breather from the kids. I’ll be up in Oly Weds for a meeting – have been saving pennies and grocery budget for Haggen’s. Looks like they give senior discounts on Weds so I’m going to sign up for one of their cards. I bought some of their organic broccoli last month – it was spendy, but so fresh that it kept very well in my fridge for a couple weeks. I get tired of buying buying produce around here that smells icky within a day or two. How is your job hunt going by the way?

Barbie, I’ll hit Foot Locker at the mall in Oly and see if they have a sale on good New Balance waterproof shoes. So glad you have your walks and exercising to focus on while Jake is down with the crud and kinda grumpy. I read somewhere that humans need 30 minutes a day being exposed to the green of the outdoors (or probably any outdoors if you live in the desert!) to keep stress down. Even folks who work in offices or patients stuck in hospitals, as long as they can look out the window and see trees and nature, do much better.

Ginger - I do like the way the Fitbit keeps me on track with the subtle reminder about "get some steps in!" Some days I don’t even come close to my goal, and that’s OK. But if I’m close, I’ve been known to put on my walking shoes and go up and down our little street which is good for half a mile. Just to say I did it!

Lenora – WOW regarding your story about sex-ed. I think it’s good to know about the birds and the bees and put some reality into the loose sex we see on TV all the time. I probably would have reacted the same way your DDnL#2 did and gone in to get the whole story. It’s all a scary time for kids and certainly takes skill to present this information. I remember when I was in 6th grade and heard “the talk” was coming for the girls, I dreaded it. I can still picture the film…. .why did being a girl have to be so icky! LOL!

Kelly! So glad you and DH made it to see Joaquin. I’m sure DH is super happy he went on that trip -and that Joaquin loved his grandpa so much! I want to smooch and hug him (talking about Joaquin here, my DH would growl otherwise )– you guys are the cleaners from heaven! Holy smokes. I don’t have anything as special as Joaquin at my house but sure could use blinds replaced – at least washed, lol.

Sharon – sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope it’s easily fixable with some easy fix like taping/Ace bandage and giving it a bit of rest. Being able to enjoy a walk is so beneficial. Ticks me off when knee complains about it but like you, want to soldier on.

Sarah – I wanted to run for the Little Debbie pantry just reading your “to-do” list, lol. I know when I had a lot of deadlines, cooking and eating healthy became something I’d do in the future. Sometimes the best we can do is stick to our program as much as possible and get through it. Hang in there!

Penny - I enjoyed the story of the baptism and the photo of everyone bundled up. Also your story of the stuck snowmobiles-how frustrating but glad it had a happy ending. I try to imagine your surroundings, the beauty of the fjords and glaciers. We just finished the final season of Lilyhammer – I think it was filmed in Norway. Enjoy the time with your son and grand-kids, sounds like there are fun places to take them.

OK ladies, that’s it for the first round. Time to it the road, be back later.

Lanette
    SW WA State where rain will be appearing after lunch. The weatherman who last week predicted sunny weather through tomorrow hopefully has severe itching from the fleas of a thousand camels. >:)

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Gloria ~ We love you. Don't feel bad about not writing a lot. You have so much on your table.

Re ~ Congrats on your loss. So glad the scale moved and know you will get to wonderland soon.

Heather & Kelly ~ Love the pics of your grand kids. Heather, those blue eyes are amazing in all three.

Lanette ~ What a beautiful yard you have. Looks like you have a perfect place set up for growing great things.

Sarah ~ How busy you are at work. Hope you get the help you need.

Allie ~ I looked up the Himalayan salt lamp and it seems like it has miracle benefits. I want one. My house is so dusty. I keep saying I am going to have my air ducts cleaned but need to wait until the pollen season is over.

DH wants to go for Chinese today so I guess we will be having salad for dinner. I will ask for steamed rice and I never eat the egg roll or chicken wing they give you with the meal.

Heather ~ I can feel you anxiety about being alone when your DH goes to his cricket matches. Mine is dong his monthly antique show this weekend and as usual, I am feeling tense and irritable about the whole thing.

Lisa ~ Continued good thoughts that your son will get the help he needs and be able to finish his time in the service.

Carol in GA
  • therwil
    therwil Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Re in Texas you are so right about eating crap makes you want more crap! I had one of those days yesterday.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Penny - I adore your baptism photo. <3 I especially love the Bishop holding the thermos. :D

The Post Office doesn't do premium bonds any more. DYS will have to get his act together. Grrrrrrrrrr!

OK. The Art Gallery is open on Monday in La Rochelle. :D The Protestant museum is shut until June. Grrrrrrrrrr! They did email me back to say if I were a group they would arrange a guided tour for me. Quel dommage! History of religion is a particular interest of mine. :'( La Rochelle suffered some terrible massacres in the Wars of Religion and a lot of Huguenots emigrated. Catholics were also killed at other times. Another museum that has a big collection of locally made pottery that I am very interested in has also closed, but permanently. :sad:
    Looks like a lot of window shopping, port strolling and people watching is on the menu.
    Can't wait for my French fix. <3B)<3

All you talking about your mother's has made me sad. I asked my mum to come and help me after the second baby was born. A few weeks before she asked my father to tell me she wasn't coming because it would take away from her holiday entitlement. Too chicken to tell me herself. :/ I told myself I hoped the baby was not a girl as I would hate it to inherit our family's selfish female genes. The baby was a girl, but was full term stillborn. Did I feel guilty? Yes. :'(
    My mother never liked small children and never did one thing to help me. The year DOS was 1 yr old they came for Christmas. I had been ill with flu and had lost my voice. I had five adult guests. DOS was very ill with a gastric bug and the doctor was called. I was up in the night with him screaming. My mother spent the whole time sitting in a chair eating chocolates and when my DH at the time lost his temper and asked her to make a cup of tea for a change she acted as if we had asked her to put on a banquet for a hundred. That was my mother. I wish I'd had KJ instead. <3
    Luckily my ex's mum was wonderful and stepped up to the plate on both occasions.
    But going by Cheri's comment about knowing the circumstances - my father had recently been tried in a court of law for sexually abusing a pupil of his at the primary school where he taught. The stress she was under was horrific. They had to move away and everything. Plus everyone knew she was married to a paedophile. She also knew in her heart he had abused me. So, now I can understand her actions. But it is still a raw memory.

I have tried to be a better grandmother than she was. I wanted to be more like my DMIL. I have learnt so much from DH, the natural genius of a step grandfather, and from DDIL. I am not a natural, but I am improving all the time. I have learnt how to play with small children and talk in their language. :D<3:D

The melamine plates have arrived and are fabulous! :drinker:

Sorry for the essay. Heather UK xxxxxxx