WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Vitamin C Day!

Heather - I really enjoyed your daughter-in-law's article about depression.

Mary - Welcome to the group! Logging on weekends is hard. That's when I always get into trouble, but at least if you manage it M-F you can sort of bank up a little "calorie cushion" to help make up for any lapses.

Anita
    - Welcome! I'm still recovering from an accident last July, so I understand how hard it is when you can't be active! I was shocked at how quickly I lost condition, and at how long it's taking me to get it back.

Lanette - I love, love, love your garden set-up! One of these days I'll have a greenhouse. Just discovered yesterday that Netflix has a new season of Midsomer Murders, so I've got plenty of material to keep me busy on the ski machine. It's a wonder that Midsomer has any villagers left!

Kelly - Joaquin looks very happy to see you! So glad you're able to snuggle him in person!

Becca - Congratulations on your decision to focus on your own journey for awhile! I look forward to hearing about your Betty Crocker/Martha Stewart impersonations.

Tracey - Welcome to the group!

Re - Cheering for you over here! Glad the *kitten* scale is finally moving so you can see results from all your hard work!

kfisch340 - Welcome! This group is great for providing support and encouragement.

And welcome to any newcomers I missed!

Yesterday was a good day over here... I had a lot of bell pepper from the produce box so I made the bell pepper taco skillet from the Hello Healthy blog for dinner. It was yummy and I was happy to get my vegetables in. Spent a half hour on the Nordic Track at lunch, so I had a nice calorie deficit. Seems like I do better when I don't eat back the exercise calories - sometimes I eat some of them or use them to give myself a treat, but I don't eat just to make up the calories.

I've been thinking about finding a track or driving over to the walking trail without the dogs so I can focus more on getting a better workout. To that end, I downloaded an interval timer for the phone so I can try HIIT as part of my walk. Maybe I'll take Luna with me... she's pretty good but when I have her and the foster greyhound I have my hands full just keeping them on track.

Wishing you all a fulfilling day.

-Yvonne in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,335 Member
    Options
    Have any of you Midsomer Murder fans seen Death in Paradise? Along the same lines, but set in the Caribbean. We love it.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth: DH has been eating Kim Chee that he gets at the grocery store. He uses it as a probiotic. They changed brands and he's looking for something he likes better than the new brand they have. I would like to know what you come up with so please keep us in the loop. :smiley:

Lanette: My dad had PTSD following WWII that took the form of horrible nightmares throughout the remainder of his life. He was aboard a ship in the South Pacific that was attacked by Kamakazi's and was on the ground in an area where the US used flame-throwers. When the guys came home they were expected to resume normal life, with no support or transition at all. One of our friends is a Viet Nam vet, and has been getting very good support for the VA but not until the past few years. I'm sorry that your dad had such a difficult personality. It might have been war related. :sad: Your garden looks lovely! I officially have garden envy. :devil:

Mis_CYW: When I have the horrible munchies after reaching my calorie limit I eat celery. It is very low in calories, and I've read that it takes more calories to digest than it contains. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: (((HUGS)))

Kelly: Joaquin is gorgeous! What a great face! :heart:

Becca: I'm so glad that you are able to stay with us. :bigsmile:

Barbie: I am happy to hear that Jake is getting better, and sorry to hear that his progress is slow and frustrating for him. :ohwell: :star:

Re: My menstrual cycle was definitely tidal. When the tide was out I was lighter than when the tide was in, and also felt better. Water retention is frustrating and uncomfortable. :grumble: I don't miss it AT ALL. Once I got through, menopause has been my friend. :bigsmile:

Penny: I don't mind caves, but don't want to go anywhere that I have to slither in on my belly. I'm claustrophobic when in tight spaces. :ohwell: Crawling in would be doable. :wink:

Gail from Queensland: Welcome! :smiley:

Gloria: Enjoy your freedom. (((Hugs))) for your oldest grandson. Visiting the other grandma is a change and kids often resist change. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I hope your ankle improves. Try ICE or ACE--Ibuprofen/cold/elevation or aspirin/cold/elevation. :flowerforyou: I also used compression wraps on my wrists when I was recovering from my falls on ice. They were helpful. Exercising without weight bearing is a big challenge and swimming is the only thing that comes to mind. I hope you feel better soon. :heart:

Heather: I suspect many of us have mother issues. I am so glad your DMIL stepped up to help you. :heart: My mom was chronically depressed. She often told me that her mother didn't love her. She was a surprise late baby. Grandpa had mumps that "went down" on him and they thought he was infertile. Not so. Grandma didn't want another child, was never nice to my mom and treated her like a servant. After mom passed away, a cousin told me about how awful it really was for mom. She had good reasons to tell me her mother didn't love her. :broken_heart: Her dad loved her, though. :heart:

My rescheduled haircut is this afternoon. I need a better strategy for hair appointments. In the future, I'm going to do my best to get morning appointments. If I do it first thing, I won't get stuck in traffic or distracted by other chores & responsibilities. Being late isn't the way to treat someone who has a busy schedule. :noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,680 Member
    Options
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Tuesday evening been out for date day with DH.

He's not sure about my appearance without glasses I remember when we first starting dating he preferred me with glasses. I've worn them nearly all my life so bit peculiar to be without them.

So sad to hear about problems with Mothers I didn't always agree with my Mum but she was always there for me and my brothers. She used to look after my kids when I was at work. My DH loved her and my DD had a wonderful relationship with her, just sad she died before she knew her greatgrandkids

Kate UK <3
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post
    Monday's Progress (4/3)
    ✔1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B7, L13, D22, MS6, AS20, BBS5=73)
    2. Fiber 30g (26g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    ✔5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes, 2 miles, 5000 steps. And the elliptical 5 days a week.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    ✔8. Declutter: Electronics, Craft Supplies, Pantry, ✔Fridge, Cooking and Baking, Dishes and Serving, ✔Linen Closet, Laundry Closet, ✔Medicine Cabinets, Personal Care.
    ✔9. Digital Detox. Track daily timeouts.

Fiber - slightly off. But I'm okay with that.

Declutter. Did the linen closets in both bathrooms. They've been done before and stayed mostly clean.

Exercise. Got my 2 miles, 5000 steps, 30 minutes. I didn't do the elliptical. I must get on it today. How will I ever build up my stamina if I never try? ;-)

Bedtime... opted for long soaking bath. So nice... Then up late with DM90. Finally got her settled about 4am.

Digital Detox. Didn't do as well on timing... but found myself leaving it alone. Gravitating to other tasks. Or paper. At one point the timer sounded giving me permission for time on a device - but I didn't. I was happy with my paper. ;-). Fell asleep with an episode of Midsomer Murders on my Kindle. Watched a bit - then just listened.

I'm blowing up with fluid retention... off to pick up my BP script. They didn't switch over to the new script on file.

Have a great rest of your day/night.

-- Ginger in Texas
    igznt6wt1qze.png
  • grogers511
    Options
    Ahh! Gloria - I'm retired after 35 years work as a workforce planner for a large metro area in Texas. Interpreting policies, writing procedures, strategies for helping business fill their workforce needs and helping people find careers.

My favorite hobby is genealogy - since 1985. I love research. I'm very much into the details. I'm a spreadsheet queen. ;-) I seem to approach everything as steps in a process. You should see my annual goals spreadsheet. It's ridiculous. But it works for me.

--Ginger in Texas
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

I am new here(I think). Been on MFP for a few years off and on but haven't been as dedicated as I have this past year and I am still not what I would call successful re weight loss. So, I am hoping all of you wonderful inspiring successful ladies can reassure me that with closer attention to detail and hard work I can get these 30 or so pounds off. I'm rather frustrated with myself right now so please feel free to add me or offer advice.

A little about me. I'm 58, married for 35 years but we have had our issues and not sure where to go from here.We have 4 sons. ..27 yr old who will graduate from med school in Madison WI in May and move to LA to do his residency (I will be sad to lose him to CA but he went to Stanford as an undergrad so I'm not surprised), 25 yr old just finished 6 years in the Navy and is out hiking with friends and then we hope will use the GI bill to go to college, twin sons almost 21, one at Madison 3rd year and going to UK Fall of '17 for study abroad and one living at home trying to figure out life while doing improv and plays and currently not working. I'm from Indiana originally but we live in WI and my husband will be traveling with work till Oct. I don't work outside the home but do play head of household as my husband has been living away from home for 8 years due to his work situation (home on weekends usually).

I do have a fitbit and I do try to weight train twice a week at the local Y and I walk with my son every day (or alone) weather permitting.

I shall try to learn and grow and be supportive as much as possible. Thanks for having this thread. I don't always feel comfortable posting in the threads with so many young folks!

Lora from Wisconsin
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon My Dear Friends

Joyce CAN, it is difficult to stick with plan when we have guests. Some of these ladies do much better than others of us. One thing about it is that a few days here and there don’t really ruin the whole plan. Ya just get back to it as soon as you can.

Katla,my DH uses a product called Armor EX=Z House wash and swears by it. Many of the guys around that do power washing to get rid of mold and mildew use a mixture of water, bleach and dish washing soap.

Penny, I’ve seen pictures of the ice caves on tv. The are so cool but give me the creeps. I don’t think I could go in them.

NYKaren, you are so right about how easily men can lose weight. All I can say about that is, “ITS NOT FAIR!!!”

MicheleNC, I can’t believe that therapist! I wonder if she will be of any help to Bryan? So sad.

Heather, cute plates for the grands. Last night at the Moose we had a formal program for just our Chapter to celebrate the two of us that had been inducted into this special group at the State Convention. A few of the older members gave us little gifts and one lady gave me a little stuffed brown bunny. It is chocolate brown and it smells like chocolate. LOL I didn’t tell her that I’m not a chocoholic because it was a nice gesture. Now if it smelled like cinnamon I’d be sleeping with it.

MaryPA, welcome. We are always happy to have newbies that want to live a healthy lifestyle. Come often and join right in.. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you.

Anita, welcome to you as well. Tell us more about yourself if you will. And where are you from, general or specific.

Barbie, so sorry Jake is still under the weather. He’s having a time with this, bless his heart. Sending healing thoughts.

Ginger, I love seeing those check marks again. I love it for you because I know it has to make you happy. Keep it up. And I don’t even know how to respond to <”Stupid accountability. &$@4 $$&?!!!” other than ROFL.

Heather, what a wonderful picture of your son and his family. Absolutely beautiful.

Cheri, way to go…what can I say??? So happy for you on all fronts. ((((Hugs))))

Kelly, how could you stand to not just pick Joaquin up???? I want to reach through the screen and just grab that precious thing.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I’m staying busy finding things to put in the garage sale this Saturday. Then last night had the Moose meeting so no time to read at all. This morning there were over 100 posts so I’ve caught up with some of them. I hope to do more later but have a pot of ham and bean soup on the stove so need to go check on it. Ladies, keep doing what you do and remember how much I love you.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • bevie19
    bevie19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I've been dealing with weight issues all my life for a whole lot of reasons but now, I'm in a completely different life and completely different head space. I started on a medically-supervised weight loss plan and have been on it since March 23rd. So far, so good.

"How did you do with your goals or resolutions for March?"
    I did all right actually, at least as of March 22nd when I started the plan, and on 3/23 when I started the food.

"What goals or resolutions have you planned for April?"
    Stay on plan every day --no deviations-- even on Greek Easter (!), walk the beach at least twice a week, try to get 7500 steps on the other days.

Thanks for having me in this group.

Bev
    California
  • Piranascuisine
    Piranascuisine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Susie here. I started the eight week blood sugar diet on 1st April 2017. I stick to 800 calories a day for 8 weeks and should lose some of the 3 stones I put on since August 2015!

I have lost (allegedly) 4lbs so far, according to my scales, which is very encouraging. I am managing not to be too hungry.

These are my goals for April:-

Lose 14 lbs (a stone)
    Focus less on food
    Look fabulous in Venice at the end of the month!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Afternoon sweet ladies. It is a wonderful warm sunny day, around 65 degrees.

Lenora, thanks for trying to help me on answering posts here. For one thing, I don't even knwo where my word processor is!!!!!

It hurts my heart to hear of the mother experiences some of you have had, or didn't have. My parents are the most important people in my life. Both are equally so. Neither one of them are here anymore. When Dad died, I frequently drove out to the church that Dad was a pastor at when I left home. I would just sit in my car and talk to him. I know I can talk to either one of them as often as I want to. But as I watch my grand kids grow up it does make me sad to know that even though they both knew my Mom for a bit, neither knew Dad. But their Mom has kept them alive so now both of them talk about Grandma and Grandpa very lovingly.

My parents didn't talk to me about anything regarding the birds and the bees. They gave my oldest sister a book 'It's time you knew' on her high school graduation. after she read it over many times, she gave it to the nxt sister who then gave it to me. On the eve of my brother's wedding Mom asked Dad if he had given Paul 'the talk'. He hadn't and didn't. They were both very free in showing PDA in our home so we always knew what physical love was like but that was just in frequent kisses and hugs. But would I trade them in for any other kind of parents????No way!

Penny, loved the picture of the Baptism. I guess the one thing that stood out for me was seeing the Mom's shoes! Is that the norm for you all there?

We are finally getting somewhere with our different remodeling projects. They are going to come out tomorrow to put in the back door in our garage. The garage door will be installed Thursday. We did decide, well I did, to have a door opener put in, the painter will be calling us this week to set up an appointment to set up the paint colors and weather permitting will start painting Monday!!!!!! Of course all this means that we have to make the check for the other half of the payment. That is the only negative but that goes along with it. Our house looks weird now. Our grey door was removed and we have been the house with the white door ever since. It is a stark white against all the maroon and grey paint.

Well my experiment with my Ambien failed last night. Sunday night I didn't take it and just used my Sleepy time tea and slept OK. Not good but OK. But not last night. So I guess it's back to taking it again. My goal is to get rid of the narcotic for pain and the sleeping pill. Maybe I will cut the pain pill back to one at night and not 2.

I would love to see the Master's tournament in person. But will just have to watch it on TV. We have a real nice golf course here in town and it is used for a tournament on the Web.com tour. All the tournaments give back to charity and a person can specify what charity you want when you buy a ticket and all that ticket price goes to that charity. It's a limited list of charities but our local MS society is one of those. I would love to be a volunteer but it's in a really hot time of year. One year it was triple digits every day.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr Fit in Six DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some yoga and then the deep water class.

Re- I totally agree that the more veggies you eat, the more you crave them. The worst part (for me, anyway) is that most restaurants only give you this TINY bit of veggies and many times this big piece of meat. Like we had the bowling party yesterday. They had green beana. But they looked like canned green beans that had had the life cooked out of them. Fortunately, I'd brought carrots and grape tomatoes with me. So I had them and the grilled chicken. Congrats on the loss! After I have a lot of crap (yes, it happens), I always feel "yukky" and many times sleepy

Sharon - as you've probably seen, I'm always trying to change up my exercises. I do take the extremepump class (wish it was earlier) mainly for the weights and the deep water class. The class is usually something different, but it's zero impact.

Penny - I found all those facts about doing things outdoors so fascinating. Vodka in the wine? Who would have thunk? Not me, that's for sure

kfisch - welcome to a great group. Tell us some more about yourself.

Anita - I'm sorry you're in such pain. Hopefully, the MRI will give them a clue to help you.

1snowlady - the first in a series of steps.....

Heather - I'm so sorry your mother was that way. That probably has a lot to do with why you are so loving and giving, you don't want to be anything like your mother

Lora - welcome! Sounds like you have a lovely family

Susie - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • Piranascuisine
    Piranascuisine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my keyboard batteries ran out and I couldn't finish my post! ;) I hope to join in with you all and share some stuff along the way.

Nice to be part of a community and someone PLEASE help me with not focussing too much on food. All I've done this evening is trawl the internet looking for 800 calorie meals. I'm obsessed!

I did tell a girlfriend that I'm going to try and shift my focus onto something else. She laughed when I said clothes. I haven't got many, because I refuse to buy anything until I am slimmer. It drives my husband nuts! What works for others?
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Peranascuisine Thinking about food in a positive way, is kind of a catch 22, we've got to plan and prep food in order to have healthy choices, but not use food to entertain or medicate. IMHO, it's important to refocus on other things so the siren call of the fridge or pantry doesn't win. For me, I do puzzles, crossword and watch tv (but skip all commercials) so I keep myself busy at night, daytime is too busy to overeat and all my food is prepped for the work day. At night, once I clean up the kitchen is closed! I brush my teeth and don't venture near the fridge, this works most nights. For me I have to stop eating before 7 p.m. otherwise I don't sleep well.

One question, how do you manage only 800 calories per day, is this medically supervised? Sounds very low to me.

NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    They do show Death in Paradise here too, but I don't always get a chance to see it. Still haven't seen set 17 and 18 of Midsomer Murders reminds me I should check the library.
  • grogers511
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sarah - I used Microsoft Project in my job but it's too much for my life goals. For those a simple spreadsheet helps me organize my action plan. I use a spreadsheet workbook. A group of spreadsheets all in one file.

My goals are:
    1. Improve health
    2. Maintain a clean home
    3. Maintain an organized and decluttered home
    4. Manage Finances
    5. Care of Mom
    6. Manage Dad's finances and visit him more
    7. More time with family
    8. Organize Photos
    9. Advance my genealogy project
    10. Advance our Jewelry Making and Art

Action steps. Each of these goals has a spreadsheet with action steps. Some need much more detail than others. I also have a weekly status update where I check in to see where I need to focus. I give myself smiley faces and big red check marks. I update the status on Sundays. My day to reflect... to plan.. to refocus.

Last year I started a "bullet journal" in a composition notebook. I wanted to get back more to paper and pen. I've always been a list maker - and the bullet journal is great for keeping my lists together. Plus I've had problems with numbness in hands.

Getting it Done. Each month - I set out tasks to complete during the month. The tasks are the action steps for my goals.

The goal for maintaining a clean home is where I developed my cleaning routines and figured out the best methods, tools and supplies to use.

For my "improve health" goal - each year I make a list of routine exams and due dates. I see my doctor for a physical and we go over my list and orders blood work. She keeps a copy of my list in my record. It just works better for me to have a plan and plug it into the calendar. Remaining tasks this year: eyes - iridotomy procedure for each eye this month, dental hygiene, dental X-rays for my ongoing process to get dental implants, see my doc for refills and flu shot in the fall.

My main health issues are: obesity - I will lose this weight!! I'm seriously working to make lifestyle changes. And - I want a good clean colonoscopy report - so more FIBER and water! If I can get my colon cleared up enough for the doc to get a good clear view - then I won't need to see him again for 5 years.

I track my health in a free app called CareZone. And I highly recommend that app. I use it to manage my parent's health and I can share info with my siblings through it. I like being able to keep notes in the journal feature. Plus I can add photos and files. So our medical histories are always available.

And... now you know more than you wanted to know. ;-)

Mama tells me... "without your lists - you'd be listless".
    --Ginger in Texas