Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi all!
    Back from my evening out.
    I had some lovely food and really enjoyed it, but why does it take so long to get the bill?????? In the end I went to the bar to get it myself.
    I had local oysters, salmon tartar, and langoustines with artichoke heart. Yum.
    I'm a bit over on calories today, but still within maintenance.
    Afterwards I went for another stroll around the harbour to burn a few more. Ended up sitting outside on the quayside by one of the last bars open on a Monday night. Down with the cool kids. :D
    It's been a really good trip, enormously helped by the perfect weather. Couldn't have asked for better. B)

I do feel a bit bad that I'm blowing most people's budget for the month on this trip. I am very aware that I am very lucky. In the past I had to budget for a new tube of toothpaste, so I have had my fair share of spending most of the night worrying about money. :s Now I am just grateful that I have the possibility of doing this.

Loved all the vacation photos, girls! <3

Heather UK, currently in Charente Maritime, France.xxxxxxxxxx

Heather, I appreciate you sharing your trip with us and your beautiful pictures. My oldest daughter is going alone to Greece for 10 days after she receives her Masters Degree May. She has been working so hard and is giving it to herself as a gift. Her boyfriend didn't want to go so she decided she would have more fun going alone. She has several group day tours booked and is so excited. I'm trying not to be scared to death for her. She's going to be 43 soon, I was a grandmother when I was 43. I guess I just have to trust her to be careful.

Love the pictures. I may have to go to France, but if I walked into that pastry shop I'd not fit into the airplane seat to get home <3<3<3

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lisa, Heather, love your pictures. So relaxing.

Only travel I am doing in to doctor's office. He asked me about my back, any bleeding, energy, etc. I then changed the subject to my belly. So we talked about that for a while. I have a follow up appointment with GI doc in the fall and told Dr. C that U would rather that appointment just to be changed to a colonoscopy. He agreed with that and the fact that even though I am not due one for several years, symptoms call for it to be done as soon as it can. So I hope it can be scheduled for the first part of September. Also he ordered blood work for Celiac and IBS and a prescription for Colestid. I looked it up and it is a cholesterol medicine. So far the colon is semi behaving itself today.

Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Marilyn sorry about your back. Health issues can make losing weight more difficult. There are a number of things that cause sugar cravings. Gut bacteria off, high triglycerides, stress. Are there things that helped you in the past?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just a quick stop in to say hi and that I am cheering for all of you! Meg
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Lanette-Thanks for the giggle!

Toni
  • pipcd34
    Options
    grogers511 wrote: »
    88nbazb0hh5r.jpg

iwish I could stop doing what I'm already doing
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

SORE!!

wahoo hrm working-
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 13.18min. 13.3amph, 135mhr, 2.9mi = 135c
    apple watch- 97c
    Plyometrics exercises- 10min, 3sets of 10each, squats, burpees, running stationary lunges, 1 set of 10- single leg toe touches, 147mhr = 100c
    apple watch- 83c
    SPIN CLASS- 35min, 77ar, 80aw, 9-12g, 121ahr, 133mhr, 13.4mi = 288c
    apple watch- 261c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 7.25min, 131mhr, 11.4amph, 1.4mi = 85c
    apple watch- 53c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.13min, 10.09min mi, 155mhr, .5mi = 69c
    apple watch- 56c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.30min, 10.44min mi, .149mhr, 5mi = 75c
    Apple Watch- 62c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 22.03min 7.2amph,147mhr, 2.6mi = 201c
    apple watch- 143c

total cal 953
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post
    Sunday's Progress (4/23)
    ✔️1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B7, L4, D24= 35g)
    2. Fiber 30g (13g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    ✔️5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes, 2 miles, 5000 steps. And the elliptical 5 days a week.
    ✔️6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    ✔️8. Declutter: Electronics, Craft Supplies, ✔️Pantry, ✔Fridge, Cooking and Baking, Dishes and Serving, ✔Linen Closet, ✔️Laundry Closet, ✔Medicine Cabinets, ✔Personal Care.

Monday weigh in: 284. Down 2 lbs this week.
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    id 10- minutes of pilates, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec then took the extremepump class. I had to leave early to help count the money at the church. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Friedrich Intensity DVD

Vince was tested for allergies and it showed that he has an allergy to cats! We've only had cats for 20 years. They even sleep on him. The MD said that many times people will develop a tolerance to whatever it is they're allergic to.

Welcome back Sue!

DJ - what kind of place puts eyelash extensions on for you? That sounds like something that might work for Denise's wedding, especially since you say they last for 3 weeks. The only time I've ever had false eyelashes put on was when I went to Penny's once., They just felt so "funny" but that's probably because I wasn't used to them

Welcome everyone new to a great group

Sharon - with all that laughter cruising together, think of all the exercise we'd get in (exercising our jaws!)

Sarah - I definitely see Onederland in your near future!

Went to exercise, then counted the money at the church, then to the bank for the church, then the soup kitchen to drop off the donations, then senior bowling. This was just the organizational meeting where we got our teams

Cheryl - I like your table and rug

suebdew - lovely pics

Heather - those pics of the food were EVIL!!!! But you looked lovely

Marilyn - get better fast

The gal who usually has the mahjongg can't have it tonight. I'm quite sure (although she didn't say so) that the reason is because it was Game Night. Only one other gal could come over so we decided to cancel, we can't play mahjongg with only two people. I went to ceramics instead. Got the second coat of paint on the rest of the ant. Depending on the weather, maybe Vince will go tomorrow with me, then I'll go to mahjongg (maybe).

Michele in NC
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Working on quilting tonight. Hopefully finished this one soon.

Hugs to everyone.
    Paula Y.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Re – I don’t think there is such a thing as Chinese Food being low in calories; but, why is it you so rarely see an Oriental that is anything other than thin? I love it, too, but 1/4th of their lunch plate of ‘fried rice’ is full of the oil they use to cook it in. 

I usually only eat breakfast, if I know ahead of time – before lunch – that we are going out to eat, won't eat lunch. But, even then, I cut my entrée in ½ and bring it home to each in the next day or two. I see all the others doing exercises for nearly an hour daily. It is so boring to work out on a treadmill. I was waiting for son to open up pool; but, he is planning on getting rid of it to pay off a family member for a loan he got from him. Besides it makes his utility bill about $100 more a month than it would be without it. I know my son is trying to cut back on his monthly bills; but, I am sure going to miss it. Trey fusses that he is the ‘only one who cleans it out’. Last summer, I asked him several times to ‘teach me and I would do it’ since I am the one who uses it. But he said it was more trouble to do that. Boo-Hoo! Louis has considered paying him the extra $100 a month; but, I don’t think that is something he will agree to. He and his wife had a ‘huge’ blow-out this weekend; and, she threatened to have him arrested. I think before long, we might not have one of our DsnL; at this point, I no longer care. She has pulled her last ‘kick in my teeth’. IF she is so ‘unhappy’ then she needs to leave him. She keeps talking about finding another job that will pay her more; but, any job she gets, she still will be entering it as an ‘entry level’ job.

She should have talked over quitting the last job with her husband (our DOS) before she actually did it. Being without a job for 4 months put them almost $5000 back in their bills. She got upset because she ‘thinks’ she was the cause of their financial woes … DOS told her ‘basically she was’ and that is ‘when the fight started …’.

DJ – Congrats on being named “Woman of the Year”, that is something to be proud of.

NYKAREN – Yes, she should have memorized her SSN by now; she ‘definitely’ does NOT need to carry it in her wallet. Nor should she use it as a form of identification. I don’t give my SSN out unless I have no choice (medical MDs or hospitals); other than that – NAHDA! I won’t even give it out if called to confirm it. If someone calls and asks 'can I hear them' ... I hang up! It is a SCAM!!!!!

Machka9 – Good for you for getting back on your bike. I used to cycle 10 miles in the afternoon after I got home from work, and usually about 50 on weekends (with my boss). But, cannot do it down since we now live on a dirt road.

Karen in Virginia – WOW! That really is a big goose egg! They need to make sure that they check on her if and when she goes to sleep; and, take her back to the ER (or her own MD) if she starts complaining of being nauseous or that her head hurts. What was she doing when she fell?

Michele – I got my ‘last lash extensions’ at ULTA for $25 (I think that included the lashes as well); you might also find them at a beauty salon (even if you have to go to a black salon where they do braids). If you only have a few of them, they look pretty real; putting on ‘eye liner’ help, too, in my opinion – keeps the part that is glued to your lashes at the base not look too fake; just don’t get them too thick. Just tell them that you don’t want them so thick they look like ‘shades’. I would suggest having them done at least once before you have them done for the wedding. They do make your eyelids feel a bit heavy; you just have to make sure you don’t rub your eyes. To keep from rubbing mine, I would just push on my closed eyelid until the heaviness got easier. No mascara. My eye brows are really thin, so I think one thing that helps me is getting them shaped (according to the natural brow line). While they say you can shower with them; I don’t think I would suggest doing so; I’d wash my face separately and make sure my face/eyes doesn’t get wet when I shampoo my hair. They do make your eyes show up better. DDnL#2 had extensions (lashes) done the day before their wedding. Before she met Will she had her eyeliner and lipstick tattooed on; but, he doesn’t want her to do that again. I don’t know why; maybe it is because it makes her eyes and lips puffy for a couple of days. She goes to a tattoo artist in Alexandria who does just make-up (and it is expensive; but it last a long time before it starts to fade out).

I can hardly watch Red Lobster commercials, with all the butter dripping off everything; but, I sure do like their cheese biscuits. But, I know I could make my own.

Our wafers at church have absolutely ‘no flavor’ to them and they stick to the tongue; they are incredibly thin and about the size of a quarter. I can’t wait to get the wine to wash it down. We had a priest in Macon who used a ‘lighter’ blush wine (but it was still dark in color); but, most use a ‘burgundy’. Maybe so you won’t gulp it down. Maybe about half take the wafer on their tongue, maybe a little more (younger) take it into their hands.

Leigh – Thanks – I’m doing my best to stay the Hell out of it. Apparently, things cooled off after Louis went down there. DOS says that another thing that is a ‘bone of contention’ is that she sleeps with her cellphone ON; and it ‘dings’ several times every hour. He won’t tell her to ‘turn it off’ because he knows that would start an argument. What the hell does she need to have it ‘on’ all night long? Who does she know that posts things in the middle of the night? Trey says she answers it and goes out of the bedroom to answer it. No wonder she feels like Hell in the AM; it can’t be good for their sleep patterns. Louis told him to tell her to turn it off and leave it out of the bedroom; if she doesn’t like that, then tell her to go sleep in the den. She has it glued to her ear! No wonder she has ‘migraines’. Home page is FB and she knows more $#*T about folks than she ought to. Some things are not her business, I don't care 'how close of friends they are' (or if they are 'family'). I won't make friends with her. Haven't asked; and, haven't been asked. Will 'ignore' it if I am.

Lanette – My BF and I drove to Birmingham, AL to see the Terra Cotta Warriors from China. I take it that it must be a ‘trek’ to go to the Pacific Science Center; but I HIGHLY recommend it. It is AMAZING!!!!! They give you a set of earphones and you go from station to station to hear about what you are looking at. They still ‘think’ there are others that have not yet been dug up. They also say that no two of them are alike and that there is something that gives them reason to think they had been ‘painted’ at some point. I’d go back if it ever came to a museum near us.

Becca – I could not get Sophie Tucker’s video to play for me; but, I am sure she sang very lovely. So you got your love from singing from you mother and grandmother?
    My name usually gets ‘mutilated’ (both first and surname). Lenora (pronounced La No Ra) – emphasis on “NO”; last name André – (pronounce Ahn DRE – the “é” is what makes the last part of the name emphasized). I get ‘Andrew”, or they misspell it un Owl Dray. Or start it with an “O”.

Our pharmacist at K-Mart is a neighbor of ours. Since everything is made out to “Nancy”; I give him a hard time by calling him ‘Malcolm’ although he is really ‘Chuck’ nickname for “Charles.”

I ‘hide’ money from myself, in plain sight; but, my DH would never understand why; but, that is ‘ok’ because I balance all the accounts.

If you are having issues with falling asleep or snoring … I would strongly suggest having a sleep study done. You might have ‘sleep apnea’ … which will cause you to not get the kind of sleep you need to be getting. If you are snoring, this means you have momentarily stopped breathing. If they put you in a Cpap machine, I guarantee the first night you will sleep like you don’t have to wake up the next day. One the 2nd night when I slept with the mask; they had to come ‘wake me up’ because it was time to go home. It took about a week until I got my machine. I have my first one that I can use as a back-up if I have to take my newest one it. I don’t really like the 2nd one; I was not falling to sleep so the MD had them reset the machine so that it starts at a “9” instead of a “4” and working up to a “12”. It made all the difference in the world. My first one was strong from the beginning and I would be asleep in less than 5 – 10 minutes.

I could snore in ‘any’ position, even face-down. My kids and their friends would sit in the den and laugh at me. I don’t seem to have that mucous build-up since I have been on a Cpap either. The first year we met our DDnL#2, I was asleep on the recliner and she said that I had stopped breath for a few seconds several times; then, I stopped breathing and did not breathe again for a full minute. She told me it scared her to death, she thought I had died!
    Yeah, my DOS and his wife fight all the time in front of their 16-year-old and 10-year-old. I think it is ‘shameful’. It affects them and they don’t seem to ‘understand’ that. The ‘few’ times I have said something, it has been taken totally wrong! My DDnL#1 (and that, at this point, doesn’t mean ‘dear’) told me straight up that she was a ‘good mother’ and a ‘good wife’ and had been the ‘best step-mother’ to Trey’s oldest daughter. Now she and DOGD are at odds, all of them are ‘at odds’ because of finances/bankruptcy. DDnL#1 is NOT at all happy about ‘her’ car going back. I was ‘floored’ when Trey told me that her payment was around $525. *kitten* – I think that is more than their house/trailer payment. I wanted to tell her to ‘live in her damn car’. He has bought her a ‘new-to-her’ car every 2 years because she tears up the front-end of it by going no less than 60mph down the dirt road.

When my boys would be arguing and fussing with one another; I would make them stand in one block on the kitchen floor and hug one another to stop them. In minutes, they’d be laughing. I’ve done the ‘crying’ in the chair before, too! It works. Try to 'out-cry' them by being a lot louder. I found that ‘if’ I wanted them to ‘hear’ me; all I had to do was ‘whisper’. The way we punished our boys was ‘taking something away from them’. I am like my Mother in that regard; if I say something, I don’t threaten them with it, I follow through. Will had to walk to work for a week for breaking curfew. It was about 5 miles one way, as the crow flies. I remember the first time my boys wanted to ride their bikes to school (at least 5 miles); I let them leave, then I followed them the entire way [several days] far enough back that they could not see me without turning around (or stopping to do so).

TNToni – You’ve got my prayers, honey … I have certainly felt the ones being said for me lately. Prayer works!!!!! When you need it, you ought not to feel ashamed to ask for it.

Sharon – How close does your DD and DSnL live? Close to you? I sometimes wish that DOS and his family lived a bit further away.

Machka – You do want to lose slowly, that way it is a greater chance for it to ‘stay off’ with a reasonable diet, lots of water, and consistent exercise. Even if you walk 20 minutes a day, that is probably close to maybe working off whatever extra you might take in with CI (Calories in). I don’t eat back my calories … it is just good knowing they are there if I splurge. Because I am on a ‘strict’ diet; I pre-track my calories … which is really helpful to me, especially if we plan on going ‘out to eat’. Another thing I do is cut my meal in half and get a ‘to go’ box. Eat the left-overs the next day for lunch.

Lisa – Nice view. I always enjoy pixs of kids, grandkids, little sayings, landscapes, and pets. I can’t usually follow a link and have it open or videos. But, that’s ok.

LuAnn – Our DOGD is 5’-nothing; and during HS as a cheerleader and on dance line, she was fit and slim; in college, she has put on that Freshman 15 every year (or more). Now that she and her boyfriend have moved out of the house of Horrors with awful roommates, they will eat healthier and work harder at getting back into shape.

She’s now selling Arbonne on the side and trying to work up her base of customers. If any of you want to find out more about it, just PM me and I will give you her info. They have a huge range of products. I tried a sample of some lotion and it made me feel like it plumped up my wrinkles. I know that I am going to buy that from here and the mascara, too.

Had to laugh at a picture of my DYS, DDnL#2, and DGD#4 when someone on FB asked if she had lipstick on. She told them, ‘yes’ she did not have time to take it off before they went hunting. I told her to choose a nice ‘coral’ for me and let me know what to send her. She said that the woman is coming by the shop this week. It is a stain, so I will also have to buy the sealer/gloss.

Kate UK – Once you have cataract surgery and finish the ‘expensive’ drops they give you, you will need to put something like “Tears” or “Refresh” (some type of moistening drops in your eyes so they won’t get ‘dry’. The drops they give you to put in your eyes right before and after the surgery made my eyes sting like hell-o kitty! Start taking the drops before you feel the dryness, otherwise, they will put you back on the drops you took before and after the surgery.

Katla – What’s the ‘fake’ cow for? To learn how to herd or for trying to rope like in a rodeo. I’d love to go to a rodeo. I haven’t been to one since I was a child. BF’s Dad would take us to Macon to go to the fair, watch the baseball team (training team) games, and to a rodeo on occasion.

I never even thought about not putting the noodles into a soup before you eat it. I can imagine that it would keep them from getting soggy. When we have gumbo or rice; any that is left over, I mix together. I freeze our soups in quart-sized Tupperware. It is just enough for the two of us and enough for me to have the next day for lunch.’’

Beth – It is hard to sit back and not say something when you hear a child crying about something. Some kids just cry over anything. It’s one thing to see a parent ‘pop’ a child on the butt (to get their attention); but, to sit there spanking them and yelling for them to shut up certainly doesn’t work. I would probably say something – more on the lines of ‘you sound like you are having a tough time’. Of course, things are so different than when we were bringing up our children. I know one day I was at my MD’s office waiting to check out. The Daddy in front of me had a baby that was ‘screaming’ her head off and he was trying to get his checkbook out and write a check. I asked him if I could hold her while he was writing out his check; he looked shocked, and exasperated, and looked at me as if I had said something ‘off-color’; then, with a little hesitation he handed her to me. She stopped crying immediately. He wrote his check and turned to me and said, “I don’t think anybody has ever offered to help me when I have had her; being a Mother is a lot harder than you’d think; THANKS!” I could have done nothing; but, I just felt it was my place to offer my assistance. Might have been taken aback because we were not the same race [here in the Deep South]. I was always taught to respect my elders, no matter who they were or their station in life. You get a lot more if you treat someone with ‘kindness’ than to ‘walk by’ and ‘look at them’. Of course, it all depends on where you are as well. When I went to the grocery store with my 2; I had my DYS on a ‘harness’ and a woman came up to me and said, ‘that’s horrible to lease your child up like a dog’. NOT if you don’t want him running out in traffic … as a car sped through the parking lot the wrong way’. I told her she needed to ‘mind her own business’. Two children under the age of 3 – you do what you have to.

I guess my advice about the room is just what I see, as an artist. I love watching all the decorating shows and flipping houses. I like ‘Fixer Upper’; but, sometimes I think that the ‘white-on-white’ is a ‘trademark’ and doesn’t necessarily represent those people's real taste. I think I have only seen one house that Joanna has painted the room something other than a gray tone. It was blue. She had to have ‘stepped outside’ her comfort zone. As a decorator, I think one has to take into consideration what that person likes, what colors they prefer and you cannot force your preferences on them. Our house (inside) is very much a ‘hunting lodge’ motif. I get an hour’s worth of decorating advice whenever I buy a piece of furniture at a particular store in town. I think I have only ‘once’ had one tell me she ‘liked’ what I had done with the house; and, she wouldn’t change a thing. We have “Pecky Cypress” paneling in our great room. It is rare and expensive. If we could have afforded to do it, we would have done more. Our is stained on an orangeish/light brown; some of it gets stained gray (normal color if it is left outside to age on its own). With the things we have (furniture, etc.) the gray would not have gone with it as well. But, I have seen it in other homes that were basically on the ‘hunting lodge’ motif. One day I was watching “Fixer Upper” and the bedroom was paneling in what had to be “Pecky Cypress”; but, it had been painted. AWFUL thing to do to a real paneled room. I just hope that before they ripped it out (and that was what they were doing – ‘ripping’), I would have hoped that they would have check with their carpenter, Clint, before doing so. He could have planned it down and built cabinets out of it. That was a decision the ‘owners’ made – to have it taken out. My latest favorite show in “Restored” with a tall guy who wears a white cowboy hat, shorts and work boots. He takes the houses, mostly the Craftsman Style homes and ‘restored’ them, which is a lot different than remodeling, although he does open rooms up. He tries to restore things back to their glory; like on “Rehab Addict” where the woman takes an old home she has bought so that it won’t be torn down and restores them.

Janetr OKC – I have a friend who has been dating the same man for going on 3 years; they are always going on cruises. They’ve been to the Caribbean, China, Hawaii, Egypt, Australia and several other places. My oldest sister and her husband have touch every state in America but one; they’ve gone on all sorts of trips. I live those trips vicariously through them. I know that I will never get to see those things in person.

We watch “Little Big Shots” on Sundays, before another show that we like. These kids are amazing! So outgoing at such a young age. It is very obvious that their parents push them and they seem to ‘love’ what they are doing.

We also watch “The Voice” – for the past 2, maybe 3 years – they have really had some really good vocalists on the show. It is going to be a difficult decision … I am sure the judges like that it is mostly done by the television audience doing the choosing.

Lenora

Hi Pip – Another book!
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good evening!
    Marilyn I hope your back gets better from the kettle bells. Maybe a massage would help.

Cheryl I like your new rug! It looks very nice with you furniture. I would paint the wall a light color like the rug since the floors and leather are dark. I like your new table too. I like rustic and leather too! Your horse is beautiful! A quarter horse? A very pretty face! Reminds me of my horses and riding into the lake.

Becca I hope you get some peace and quiet from the new neighbors. When we had an apt. in Austin, we had to endure many sleepless nights! I think if I had it over to do again I would make more complaints to the management or police!!

I enjoyed all the pictures y'all shared! And all of you traveling; how nice!! I love the food you are indulging (?) in!!

Sleep dreams!
    Dana in Arkansas
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Marilyn, I have never heard of Whipple Disease - glad they figured out what it was but I bet it was a frustrating mystery for you. Glad it's treatable and you are feeling healthy again. Sometimes it seems easy to gain weight back after we are ill, I sometimes wonder if the body has a "set point" where it wants us to be in case we get ill....or if it is a reaction to being ill (I guess the same thing) like equilibrium. I'm reading "The Secret Life of Fat" - we had a discussion last week on this thread about how after menopause, the female body depends on some fat to keep estrogen production for healthy bones. So there ya go! It's the pits when the clothes no longer fit tho :'( Been there a LOT!

Becca - I love the idea of only baking half a frozen pizza. Sometimes I get the "fresh" ones at Walmart....there's no reason I couldn't cut it in half or into portions then freeze it that way. YOU are so full of good ideas. B) Loved the stories about raising your little guys. Hope when they get married they settle down near you so you can work your magic on some grand-babies. And tell us all about them, of course.

Hope the folks next door do better with the noise. My DH would be over there tossing someone down the hall. Good thing we have no close neighbors! Yikes!

OK, Better Call Saul is on...DH wants me in there.

Later girls!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) Another great day.
    *16,000 steps
    *213 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *82 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *two hour nap
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Heather: I love the photos and notes on your experiences. Keep 'em coming! :heart:

Michele: I'm so glad you're back. :smiley:

Lenora: I think I may have mentioned this before, but so many people I know go to Chinese restaurants and order deep fried food. It is not as tasty and also not as healthy as food that is steamed, baked or grilled. There is usually great food available at the restaurant, but some people always seem to order fried stuff instead. :ohwell:

Regarding fake cows for horse training: One of the fun western sports is cutting cattle from a herd. On a working ranch a calf might be cut from the herd in order to be branded, castrated, given shots to prevent illness or have other work done. That practice has turned into a sport. In rodeos, live calves are used in a competition. The ones I've seen are about half grown, not babies. A rider on horseback is supposed to select a calf within the herd and separate it from the herd. On a real ranch they would do this to brand or check health or do other necessary work. In a rodeo, this is purely a competition to see which horse and rider team is most effective. Many people don't have the resources to use live cattle for training their horses. They use flags (or fake cows) on a pulley system so that it can be moved back and forth. It is the job of the horse to stay between the "calf" & the herd & keep it from rejoining the herd. I hope this explanation makes sense. :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow looks like it may be a relatively quiet day at home. The only thing on the agenda is taking our dog to the groomer. I can be happy with that.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Cheryl: Love the rug!

Marilyn: Sorry about your back injury; hope you will soon be back in form! It definitely sounds like you have had more than your fair share of health issues these past few years.

Becca: So sad about the little girl next door; from your story it sounds like you were a great mom!

TNTONI: sending you big hugs!

It is cold and rainy here today. I can't complain; we need the rain. I am going to spend the day working on my French taxes. I will never understand why tax officials feel they have to change the blasted forms every year. It is even more complicated because we are required to complete the forms online. I finally gave in and made an appointment with an accountant who is going to look over what I have done to be sure I am doing it properly, so I need to get ready for his visit.

There were unusually hard freezes here over the last week. The vineyards in the mountains behind us lost up to 80% of this year's harvest. Other areas and crops lost less, but it is not a good year for those working in agriculture.

Leigh in France
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Machka9 – Good for you for getting back on your bike. I used to cycle 10 miles in the afternoon after I got home from work, and usually about 50 on weekends (with my boss). But, cannot do it down since we now live on a dirt road.

I didn't stop cycling, but my quantity of cycling did drop off a lot.

In 2013 I only cycled 2661.5 km, and in 2014 it was only 2749.1 km.

Fortunately the amount has increased and we passed the 3000 km point last weekend. :)

Where we live now, it's so hilly and busy that we often drive to better places to ride. Like today for example ... we drove to another suburb and did a nice 45 km ride on relatively flat ground.

Machka – You do want to lose slowly, that way it is a greater chance for it to ‘stay off’ with a reasonable diet, lots of water, and consistent exercise. Even if you walk 20 minutes a day, that is probably close to maybe working off whatever extra you might take in with CI (Calories in). I don’t eat back my calories … it is just good knowing they are there if I splurge. Because I am on a ‘strict’ diet; I pre-track my calories … which is really helpful to me, especially if we plan on going ‘out to eat’. Another thing I do is cut my meal in half and get a ‘to go’ box. Eat the left-overs the next day for lunch.

I don't know if you meant to talk to me or someone else, but I lost my weight in two sets of 16 weeks in 2015. I lost at a rate of 1 kg/week. If I had lost any slower, I would have lost interest. I've kept the weight off for the last 18 months or so. :)