WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    heather, so glad you weren't seriously hurt. But you will be sore for awhile.

Janetr, never regret whatever you put here. You put what you were feeling at the time. The cardiac nurse in me went into RN mode. Back when I was working in cardiac, 80's and 90's, if there was an angiogram done, a surgeon was on call. The surgeons did not like that at all, neither did the insurance companies since the patient was charged for that time.

Painter wasn't able to finish today. His assistant couldn't stay all day. Hopefully the storms that are predicted won't arrive and he can do the touch ups and walk through with us. Plus eh has a lot of supplies here. He must trust our neighborhood. he leaves his large tool box on our porch every night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,134 Member
    :)janetr, best wishes to you and your hubby on his upcoming procedure. Cardiologists can do amazing and miraculous things

:)Meg bravo to you for supporting your hubby at this difficult time and for seeking a solution for yourself in the Twelve Steps

:) I survived the dentist this afternoon. Two hard parts for me are worrying that I'll choke on my saliva and that I can't eat or drink for an hour after

<3 Barbie from beautiful and windy NW Washington
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Margaret – We had our screened-in porch, glassed-in. They did a good job; cracked one and it was replaced in a week. The only thing I am unhappy about, Louis even more so, is they looked like they took 1” x 1” stakes to hold them in - unfinished wood. IF we had known that Louis would have preferred to have stained them, so you don’t see the raw wood; they pieces are warping as well. I called them and told them and the man is supposed to call me by the end of the week about coming out and seeing what can be done. I’m not going to try to tack these things in place; if a window gets broken; and, they do it the replacement is free.

Marcelyn – Chiggers ("red bugs") are awful; got them all the time as a child playing outside all the time. Such a different time from when I was little and my grandchildren. We made (or had to make) up things to entertain ourselves. Usually, on Wednesday afternoons my 2 BFs (twins of my Mother’s BF) and I got together to play, entertainment today is TV and other electronics. I couldn’t get away with saying, “I’m BORED!” Board is something you build a house with. Like Yawl is a ‘boat’. I have to laugh at how sometimes I have to look up something because it is difficult to figure out what one means; especially if it is called something different. The first time my sister heard DH being called by his ‘middle’ name she asked, ‘who are they talking about’? My DDnL#2 calls a refrigerator an ‘icebox’.

Re – I have been very lax with my exercise this week. I am trying to eat healthy; but, this week it just seems not to be happening. Last weigh-in I had gained. UGH! It is getting more difficult as I get closer to my goal. Take 2 steps forward; 3 backwards.

Heather – You know, when you talk about you grands living ‘too far away’; I guess I think of a State in the USA vs. a country overseas. Wouldn’t think a thing of driving across the State of Georgia; but, in Europe – driving across a county is probably a lot greater distance. I guess I should get out my maps and see the comparison. All, I know is TX is HUGE! When our son was up around the Houston, TX area; when we got to LA, we were only ½ way there. Louis drove 2 days (hard driving) to get to Denver for a job offer. It started snowing the day he got there and did not stop the entire 30 days he was out there. Needless to say, this FL boy was NOT about to move us out there with 2 small children with family in FL, GA, and TN. There would have been a ‘divorce’, I ‘hate’ cold weather.

HA! HA! Having a little bit on wine probably made you ‘chill out’ and ‘speak your mind’. I’ve found that I bite my tongue (a LOT) around my DDnL#1. It’s getting ‘harder and harder’ to be ‘comfortable around her’; so guess what she has done? Invited me to go to a door painting party (where you choose a cut-out that goes on your door) for Mother's Day. She is supposed to send copies of the different things we can paint. For Mother’s Day. {{{{{SMILE}}}}} My DDnL#1 is ‘not happy’ BECAUSE of ‘lack of money’. They had a huge blow-out this past weekend. I hope that she doesn’t say a ‘word’ good or bad about my son while we are together. Maybe she will ‘think’ before she says anything.

KJ – A ‘chigger’ is a bug in the ‘mite’ family. They are found in vegetation, tall grass, forest; and, I think they are ‘all over the place’, at least in the South where we rarely have snow or much frost. They don’t actually ‘bite’; but, sort of like misquotes, they suck blood out (that is the reason a lot of people thing they burrow themselves) into the dark recesses of your body, especially damp areas. Like a misquote – almost like a straw; but, if unchecked; they can make really bad sores, especially if you are sensitive. Behind your knees, your crotch, under your arms, and crawling around. You can get them by brushing up against tall grass. To help keep from getting them, wearing long sleeves and long pants and socks will help. Some people will tie or put rubber bands or something around their ankles, tying the pants down so they don't get them. Bathing with soapy water as soon as you come inside after being ‘out in the woods’ and/or even lying flat on the ground in the grass with nothing under you; usually will help you not have the itching. Epson Salts in your bath water is good, also, to relieve the itching. Some people have more of a sensitivity than others. A lot like fleas or mosquitos. I don’t get bitten by fleas or mosquitoes, I think because of all the medication I take. As a child, I looked like a ‘dot-to-dot’ page out of a coloring book. They are very small so you normally don’t see them, you feel them, get itchy. Hope this helps you understand; and, how important it is to take a shower or bath after being outside working around you garden, mowing the lawn, walking in the woods, and things like that. I can’t remember where you live, or if you said …; but, they are common down here in GA. That and ticks have to be checked over if you are outside. Ticks latch on and suck blood out of you until they are ‘full’ and their bodies are very noticeable; removing them so you make sure you also get the ‘small’ head is important. Some remedies for this is putting something like Vaseline or nail polish will use make the pop off. Tweezers if the person makes sure they get way down around the small head to pick them off – pull them off. They make you itch and that is usually how someone knows something has bitten them, they feel around and suddenly feel something that feel like a big tag of skin hanging off. Hunters usually come home with both lurking around. Ticks will get on dogs and do the same.

I think it is a ‘special type of person’ that can run a daycare service. I know I had my boys in one; and, because of their behavior, I dropped in unannounced and saw Will being made to ‘bully’ the other kids that were smaller or younger. I called my oldest sister and asked if she would watch them for a week while I checked around for another place. I went to one that had been in business a long time run by a woman and her daughter with other helpers and ‘thankfully’ she had an opening. She asked me ‘what is going on where you have them; you are the 3rd person that has come this week to see if I can keep their children’? I told her that I did not know; but, I did know my children. Trey had a little girl in his class who latched on to his as soon as they were both there. Will started saying that ‘he did not want to go; and, crying’. Will never cried like that. So about 2 weeks later, this man gets ‘arrested’ for ‘child molestation’. Of course, the place was closed down. He had a sister who had a daycare center; and, her business dropped off enough that she had to close her doors, too. My boys ‘loved’ the new place; and they taught them a lot and always had some sort of ‘craft’ made each day. They were learning things that they weren’t at the other one. I'm glad I moved them before there was a 'mass exodus' of children below school age needing daycare.

I know one day, when my DDnL#1 was trying to ‘potty train’ our DYGD; I would sometimes pick them up. She’d have a diaper over her training pants when I picked her 2 days in a row. The 3rd day, I went into the office when the owner was there and ‘asked her about potty training girls’; and, told her what had happened. She fired the woman on the spot. But, she had a baby; and, would NOT put him in the class he belonged in and would stay ‘in the office’ when she was not there.

Meg - I called the hospital since they are ‘contract MDs’ – someone was ‘supposed’ to call me back; haven’t done it yet. For a city the size of Albany they could use 3 full-time Neurologists in town; especially since Phoebe is the ‘city trauma center’ for this area. The only other ‘trauma centers’ would be either in Columbus or Thomasville or Macon (which is the ‘trauma center’ for the state of GA).

Lanette – Love the pictures of the dogs jumping the fence – must be what we call ‘coon dogs’ (hunt for raccoon; or ‘treeing’ one). Hounds that bay when they have a raccoon ‘treed’.
    I like ¾ sleeves because it hides a bad scar on my left arm where my arm was crushed in a bad wreck I had years ago.

Janetr okc – Will be keeping you and Jack in our prayers. That is a bit ‘scary’; hopefully all goes well and he will be up and doing things like before.

Becca – That is how we felt about living in a neighborhood that consisted of the short block I lived on (only one facing that road) and then a double dead-end cul-de-sac at the end of the street beside us. We used a ‘neighborhood sitter’ whenever we were going out. If we had ‘’block parties’ she kept the kids at one house. She made a ‘killing’ doing this because we all paid her hourly rate. In the 35+ years we have been back in SWGA, when I go up there, it is built up so much you would not recognize the area.

Lenora
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,081 Member
    I'm back from Indianapolis, and caught up on all your posts. Janetr, Heather,Marcelyn, Meg and everyone in pain - (((hugs))) and powerful energy being sent your way to help you return to radiant good health.

The past two weeks the sweet cravings sent my eating off the charts, and I'm totally disgusted to be up 2 pounds. :frowning: I may have been 'rewarding' myself a bit much after the good annual physical. Somebody please slap some discipline back into me. Saturday I'll be heading to a conference in San Francisco where there are many receptions, parties, snacking and socializing over meals. Fortunately, I'm still doing great with abstaining from alcohol, so just need to apply same approach with other empty sugars and carbs. A day at a time.... :wink:

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills (sunny but cool temps all week)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did 50 minutes of the Biggest Loser Calorie Killer Circuit DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tony Little's Body Express DVD. This is a shorter DVD, and since I need to take Vince to the eye MD I'm hoping that I can get at least that much in.

Had Newcomer board meeting then we went bowling, mainly so Vince could try out his new bowling ball. Tonight we went to ceramics. I'm almost done with my ant, next is the firefly.

Cheri - if there is a school that teaches massage therapy, they usually will let their students work on you under the supervision of an experienced person and they usually don't cost all that much.

Marcelyn - so sorry about the chigger bites and on top of that the poison sumac. Is there a high probability of you getting it again?

janetr - thinking of you and your hubby and praying for the docs and nurses along with you

Toni - (((HUGS)))). Hope all works out for you for the best. We're here when you're ready to talk

Yvonne - happy anniversary

I ordered a few more DVD's for myself. Like I need more (of course I do! Silly me)

Heather - so sorry to hear of your spill

Have to take Vince to the eye MD tomorrow to have the laser on the second eye then volunteer at the Green Room

Was in the 80's today. Far cry from the 50's of yesterday.

Michele in NC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Good evening! I'm trying to watch Designated Survivor and read thru the posts.
    The weather was awful today. I got up at 5am and was at the grocery store at 8:30 so I wouldn't get caught in the rain. It pretty much rained all day with lightning and thunder. Some damage northeast of us but none here. Arkansas can be bad at times.

Heather So sorry to hear you fell. I hope you heal up quickly. That's awful to fall. My biggest fear!

Machka when I worked in Austin, I was on the 5th floor. I tried to climb the stairs as much as possible. Even with all the huffing and puffing it made a difference!

Mary I would rather risk being thrown out of the theater that eat their junk!! Good for you!

Another execution is scheduled for tomorrow. The shows will be pre-empted while the news is covering it. This man killed 4 people in 1996. The families of the victims will finally have some peace.

Dana in AR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Becca: I love the idea of throwing kindness confetti. :bigsmile:

Heather: (((HUGS)))

Joyce: You must live in a lovely neighborhood if the painter leaves his toolbox out where people can see it and t is still there when he gets back.. :smiley:

Rori: I'm confident you'll get those pesky pounds back off in a short time. I am constantly amazed that you can travel as much as you do and still manage to take care of yourself. As you said, "one day at a time." :heart:

Our city owns a large piece of property along the Columbia River that will eventually be developed as a park beside the river and also as a residential neighborhood back along the cliff. I went to a meeting this evening where graduate students presented their ideas on how to develop the land. We were supposed to vote for the idea we liked best. The students were all nice people, and I wrote suggestions for each to make their own design better but I didn't vote for any. My ideas boiled down to provide shelter for rainy days, don't block the views and don't make walkways out of boards that will eventually rot. Use materials that will hold up over the long run instead. I tried to be nice about it and I don't think I hurt anyone's feelings.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    No news.

Hugs and Love for everybody!

Re in TX
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Had a lovely visit with my son. It's unusual for me to see just him. We went to a park in his neighbor hood and talked for two hours. I told him about my situation and he was so caring and concerned. I think he and I will draw closer during this struggle.

Toni feeling very blessed in TN
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Carol in GA - I took my youngest two grandchildren (5 & 3) to the carwash with me. They thought it was the best thing ever. Wanted to do it again. We had quite the giggle fest.

Lanette- love the dog photo - my little mutt would be crawling under the fence.

Prayers sent for those in need, hugs to everyone. Have a great day.

Paula Y.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Leigh - Congratulations on the weight loss. You must be feeling an amazing difference! I was a different person after my 57 lbs.

Heather UK xxxxxxx

You are really right Heather, though I still have a long way to go! One of the things I did on our trip with friends last weekend was to visit a flea market. While wandering through the stalls, I happened to notice a set of the old timey individual weights that merchants used to use for measuring their wares. Out of curiosity, I picked up the small one pound weight....was that sucker heavy! I was amazed and then realized that I have lost the equivalent of almost fifty of them! It really put things into perspective for me!

- Leigh in France
  • pitegny
    Leigh - Terrific progress! 50 lbs! Has this been your loss just since January?

TNToni: Still have just under two pounds to make the fifty, but yes, I started on 11 January of this year. After a big water loss the first week, I have settled in to an average loss of two pounds per week, which makes me really happy. I am approaching this like a high level military commander waging war. I weigh and log everything and plan my day ahead. If I get an urge for something different during the day, I head back to the diary to see what I can swap out to make the new food fit under the calorie goal. You would laugh if you could see me out in a restaurant trying surreptiously to consult my MFP diary on my phone!

Definitely obsessive here, but I think that is what it is going to take for me to make it to my goal. While my planning is rigorous, I am trying to lose the way I want to continue afterwards, so I am still cooking tasty meals, having occasional wine and sweet treats, going out with friends, and have even worked in a gastronomic meal or two. I am passionate about food and cooking, so I am having to learn how to eat the way I want while working to make my body healthier. Friends who came to dinner this week commented that they noticed that my cooking style is a little less calorie laden. The lovely French sauces are moving to more streamlined versions.

- Leigh in France
  • pitegny
    edited April 2017
    Sorry about the triple message. It was easier to break it up.

TNToni: Sorry that you are going through some bad times, sending you virtual hugs as you work through your decision; I am glad that your son is supportive!

Lanette: Love the dog photo; wish I had that kind of bounce!

Meg: Sorry about your daughter's car incident. It reminds me of when I was a young driver. The best (worst) I did was to back one of my family's cars into the other. My father was so mad that he came out of the house, took one look, and walked straight back in. Boy, did I have a lecture afterwards!

Janet: Hope your husband's surgery will go well.

Heather: Hope your arm will be better soon!

- Leigh in France
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Lisa - Your grands are very cute.

Cheryl - Enjoyed the photos of your ride.

SueBDew - Looks like you had fun on your cruise.

Lenora - My daughter lives only blocks from us and one of our sons lives on the same side of town. I love it.
    I am also a fan of "The Voice". There are some very talented people out there!

Katla - Watching a good cutting horse at work is a special kind of joy. My Dad trained many.
    It must have been exciting and a relief for your husband to get his license renewed. Cataract surgery has certainly helped numerous people

Heather - I enjoyed the photos of your mini vacation. 54 years of friendship is definitely worth celebrating. It is too bad that you had a tiff with your "difficult" friend but sometimes it just can't be avoided. I hope the soreness from your fall doesn't persist very long. You are going to appreciate being home.

Cheri - Congratulations. 20 lbs lost is an accomplishment. Let us know how you reward yourself.

Kelly - I envy your energy and patience. I used to (long ago) run a day home. There is no way I could do that now. I do miss craft time and rocking the little ones.

Sarah - Cheering you on to onederland. You are so close.

Leah - You are doing awesome. You are nearing that 50 mark. What will be your reward?

Janetr - Putting you and Jack in my prayers.

Mary - I hope you didn't get kicked out for your healthy movie snack. I still indulge in popcorn, one of many reasons that my progress is so slow.
    You look amazing. You have worked hard for it and are an inspiration to many of us here.

Marcelyn - thanks for the explanation about chiggers. Nasty little things! I am sorry you got into the poison sumac. I hope you get relief soon.

TNToni - Sending prayers for your situation.

Yvonne - they are considering the electrodes for my DSIL since her Parkinson's has become severe. I would like her to try some of the marijuana oil first. The videos I have watched show amazing results. Your friends are lucky to have such a good hearted person supporting them in this difficult time.

I am trying to get my sleep into a better pattern. No success so far.

I am very curious as to what my painting for the living room is going to be/look like. Not even a hint.

The clinic called and cancelled my doctor appointments. Apparently my doctor is going on medical leave for an unspecified amount of time. I asked to see another doctor and was told to go to the walk in clinic. I am very frustrated with this. I will go in the morning with my list and see what I can get done. I have tomorrow off and only an appointment in the afternoon.

Had my hair cut and dyed today. The bald spots are really getting to me. I do have the wig but then it thins out my hair in other areas. Shaving my head bald and gluing that wig on might be the answer. Who knew I was so very vain?

Accountant has taxes done so they will be filed tomorrow.

My car was covered in snow this morning. This afternoon I saw people walking around in shorts (they may have escaped from the loony bin). I am hoping that spring has sprung. I am so ready to get my deck planted.

-Sharon in Lethbridge. ( long winded per usual)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,604 Member
    Thanks for your good wishes. <3
    I do not have a good night and was awake at 5.00. It was gone 1 before I got into bed. My arm is very sore and the other hand is bruised. Unfortunately it is my lymphodema arm so the swelling is worse.
    So I have decided to go home soon. I rang DH and he will pick me up from the train.
    I've texted my friend but she hasn't replied yet. I really can't manage much and would be a wet blanket. To be honest, it is a relief to escape as I feel a bit embarrassed about my outburst last night, but I meant every word. :o
    So, going home to nurse my wounds.
    Oh, I see my friend has just replied.

Much love Heather xxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    KATE UK <3