Are there any protein bars that don't taste like a stick of chalk?

Options

Replies

• sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin Salted Caramel, Fit Joy, and RX Bar (peanut butter is my favorite)
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    MET-Rx Big 100 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bars are pretty good. Good amount of cals and protein per bar.

I agree with this one too. And I am finding 12 pack boxes for $7.99 at my local outlet retailer Ocean State Job lot.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    MET-Rx Big 100 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bars are pretty good. Good amount of cals and protein per bar.

I agree with this one too. And I am finding 12 pack boxes for $7.99 at my local outlet retailer Ocean State Job lot.

You mention Ocean State Job Lot - you must be from RI!!!!
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars, Chocolate Cookie Dough & Mint Chocolate Chip are my fave.. Very good!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    tsortsor wrote: »
    The "good tasting* protein bars just taste better than the bad ones but still don't taste good.

That was not my experience with the quest bar I ate last night. I'm a convert. Hallelujer!
  • laurajaneq
    laurajaneq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like the Simply bars. They're 150 cals with 15g protein and do not taste chalky. They are like Rice Krispie bars. I'm a big fan of the chocolate&peanut butter one but their coconut flavoured ones are good too. They're low in carbs too. (They are Canadian though and I'm unsure if they are sold internationally)
  • kwissten
    kwissten Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When you microwave quest bars for about 30-45 seconds they go from shoe leather to an actual edible cookie texture (but they still ruin my digestive system).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    kwissten wrote: »
    When you microwave quest bars for about 30-45 seconds they go from shoe leather to an actual edible cookie texture (but they still ruin my digestive system).

Seriously, what bar were you eating? The one I had was nothing like shoe leather! I don't speak so fondly of food I merely tolerate.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Seriously, what bar were you eating? The one I had was nothing like shoe leather! I don't speak so fondly of food I merely tolerate.

To each their own. I think Quest bars are like shoe leather too. All of them. I have tried too many to count and I really wanted to like them since they are praised so highly here but no. They nassty.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    With Quest bars, you have to heat them in the microwave...I heat mine for about 20 seconds on a plate and then eat with a spoon. YUM!. If you don't heat them they don't taste too good.

I didn't find that to be the case. I ate mine in the car on the way home from buying it.

What kind? For my tastes, they taste so much better heated in the microwave.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Quest or Mission. A cookie dough flavored bar and a good cup of coffee, yum.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Power crunch, Peanut Butter Creme are a wafer cookie. Soooo gooood
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Quest bars!! Oreo one is my favorite.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Most people say they heat their quest bars for 5 to 10 seconds. I didn't feel like they were heated enough, so I started to heat them for 20. Upon reading that you heated yours for 30 to 45 seconds, I just heated my chocolate brownie quest bar in the microwave for 40 seconds and it tasted like I was eating cake. YUM!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    With Quest bars, you have to heat them in the microwave...I heat mine for about 20 seconds on a plate and then eat with a spoon. YUM!. If you don't heat them they don't taste too good.

I didn't find that to be the case. I ate mine in the car on the way home from buying it.

What kind? For my tastes, they taste so much better heated in the microwave.

Mine was the white chocolate raspberry, of which I'm going back for a box tonight. Great flavor, and a "soft cookie" texture.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I like the quest cookies and cream and vanilla almond flavors the best... These aren't the most popular, but I like them way better than the others. The cookie and almond bits seem to help with the texture.

But really? Like, actually delicious? Actually a healthy candy bar? No. Lies. All lies.

2016-05-06-09-29-mars_cropped_80.jpg

@Chef_Barbell

How close do these actually taste to the regular snickers bar? I love snickers bars...

One of the online shops around here sells them for around 3$ per bar (shipping offered if you order over 100$... so I'd be getting 2 boxes in one go), so a price I could still justify for a snack used every 1-2 weeks (my current snickers bar rate of consumption), even though it is double the price of a regular bar...

But it's not a price I'm willing to pay if it's not even close to the original taste.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I like the quest cookies and cream and vanilla almond flavors the best... These aren't the most popular, but I like them way better than the others. The cookie and almond bits seem to help with the texture.

But really? Like, actually delicious? Actually a healthy candy bar? No. Lies. All lies.

@Chef_Barbell

How close do these actually taste to the regular snickers bar? I love snickers bars...

One of the online shops around here sells them for around 3$ per bar (shipping offered if you order over 100$... so I'd be getting 2 boxes in one go), so a price I could still justify for a snack used every 1-2 weeks (my current snickers bar rate of consumption), even though it is double the price of a regular bar...

But it's not a price I'm willing to pay if it's not even close to the original taste.

They taste pretty close, but I'm not a candy connoisseur so YMMV.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

@Chef_Barbell

They taste pretty close, but I'm not a candy connoisseur so YMMV.

Fair enough. :blush:

But I'll take your opinion over google any day... you find some really weird things on there :astonished:

If I end up risking it (I'd hate to have to trash 100$ worth of food but I have done that before - life's too short to eat bad food), I'll give you a chocolate connoisseur's take on the taste :tongue:
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    NuGo and Clif Builder are good in my opinion
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just tried a Nature Valley salted caramel nut protein bar yesterday and it was amazing!