Sabotage???

Options
I know I am not the only person who has this issue. So my husband for our entire 10 marriage has been an over the road truck driver, well until the last 2 months. For the first six weeks I made the food everynight that he likes to eat thinking that he wouldn't eat anything I was eating because he really is a very picky eater. In the the last 2 weeks I decided that he would just have to get over it. once he realized that how serious I was about getting my pre-baby body back he has been really supportive!:smile:
Last night my step son came home and asked me if I could make this better than sex cake that he had at my girlfriends house. I told him no I wouldn't make it. That is wasn't fair to me that I would have make a cake that I then couldn't eat. He said well you could make it in cupcakes like Cori did and he would just eat it outside. I will be darned before I could even say another world my hubby jumped in and said not unless you want to die!!! You have no idea how proud of my husband I was! For the first time since I started trying to lose weight I feel like I have an actual ally!
So I have to wonder, with my husband being so great about this if I haven't been just sabotaging myself all this time? At least I know that he will back me up and be there for me when I am having a weak moment. I feel really good about this!

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    This is refreshing! I love the fact that you recognize you are the one who makes your choices. It is also sweet your husband is there to back you up!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I know I am not the only person who has this issue. So my husband for our entire 10 marriage has been an over the road truck driver, well until the last 2 months. For the first six weeks I made the food everynight that he likes to eat thinking that he wouldn't eat anything I was eating because he really is a very picky eater. In the the last 2 weeks I decided that he would just have to get over it. once he realized that how serious I was about getting my pre-baby body back he has been really supportive!:smile:
    Last night my step son came home and asked me if I could make this better than sex cake that he had at my girlfriends house. I told him no I wouldn't make it. That is wasn't fair to me that I would have make a cake that I then couldn't eat. He said well you could make it in cupcakes like Cori did and he would just eat it outside. I will be darned before I could even say another world my hubby jumped in and said not unless you want to die!!! You have no idea how proud of my husband I was! For the first time since I started trying to lose weight I feel like I have an actual ally!
    So I have to wonder, with my husband being so great about this if I haven't been just sabotaging myself all this time? At least I know that he will back me up and be there for me when I am having a weak moment. I feel really good about this!

No, apparently you're not the only one..

This comes across as pretty selfish of you. Just because you are on a "diet" doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

You couldn't make your stepson a cake and simply not have any or make room if your day for a piece? I went to school for baking & pastry and I bake things all the time for others because I enjoy it and because I like doing nice things for other people. I either don't have any or I fit it into my calories for the day.

Edit: Since this is MFP I feel the need to add a disclaimer. This is merely my thoughts on the subject in hopes to give you a little perspective and shouldn't be misconstrued as being mean, rude, or a bully. Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great husband!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I might be a little old fasion, but why is your step son asking you for sex cake?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Last night my step son came home and asked me if I could make this better than sex cake that he had at my girlfriends house. I told him no I wouldn't make it. That is wasn't fair to me that I would have make a cake that I then couldn't eat.

Fair? My grandmother was a diabetic and she made the most delicious cakes and food for us. She always kept ice cream around so she could offer us some when we came over. It's harder and harder to find people that aren't selfish these days.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

This comes across as pretty selfish of you. Just because you are on a "diet" doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

You couldn't make your stepson a cake and simply not have any or make room if your day for a piece? I went to school for baking & pastry and I bake things all the time for others because I enjoy it and because I like doing nice things for other people. I either don't have any or I fit it into my calories for the day.

Edit: Since this is MFP I feel the need to add a disclaimer. This is merely my thoughts on the subject in hopes to give you a little perspective and shouldn't be misconstrued as being mean, rude, or a bully. Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

This, Just because you 'cant' have it, dosnt mean others shouldnt be allowed to enjoy it. I make cakes all the time in this house. The other week i did 2 different types, banana and walnut, and lemon with poppy seed, i made them into individual cakes, that way i could still have one the next day if i wanted.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    wait, can I have the recipe for this better than sex concoction?
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You could teach him how to make the cake.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I don't believe that because I do something that everyone has to follow. If my husband wants funfetti cake, I'll make it. What's it going to hurt? I can have some or not, that's my decision. It's not my decision to tell him what he can't have.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    wait, can I have the recipe for this better than sex concoction?

Google and you shall find, although this is type 2 :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/better-than-sex-cake-ii/
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    why would you want to deny others anything if you are the one on the self proclaimed diet. Why not make it a lifestyle change and if it fits in your macros - ENJOY.

You only have one go around on this marble so we might as well enjoy it. I just find it unfair of you to be making decisions for everyone else, when this is only pertaining to your food issues.
  • Morninglory81
    Options

Your right just because she is on a diet doesn't mean everyone else has to be. They can make their own food. Just because she is mom doesn't mean she has to be short order cook.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Your right just because she is on a diet doesn't mean everyone else has to be. They can make their own food. Just because she is mom doesn't mean she has to be short order cook.

Does it say how old her step son is? What if he is too young to cook?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I might be a little old fasion, but why is your step son asking you for sex cake?

It's a West Virginia type cake.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. I disagree with those saying she should have made the cake. It is UNFAIR that she should have to spend her time making something she is trying to stay away from. If he wanted that cake so bad, he could have made it himself (;
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    This is not sabotage.

If you can't budget for scale now and then, how do you expect to get through this lifestyle change?

And if your son asked for some cake...good lord, don't deny it to him just because YOU don't want any.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Absolutely.
    I’m really surprised by the number of people who feel that this woman has some sort of duty to make a cake for this kid and by not doing so she is being selfish. Really? Is this 1950 suburbia?

If my son came over to my house and asked me to bake him a cake, I would reply “Your oven broken?”
    I’ve got better things to do with my time than take cake requests from family members, and just perhaps the OP might have a life that goes beyond that as well.

She isn’t being selfish, and she isn’t denying anyone anything they rightfully earned, and she isn’t making decisions for others, and she isn’t pushing her diet on anyone else. She is assertively turning down a request that she is under no obligation to fulfill in the first place.
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    This is not sabotage.

If you can't budget for scale now and then, how do you expect to get through this lifestyle change?

And if your son asked for some cake...good lord, don't deny it to him just because YOU don't want any.
    My son asks for cookies and candy almost daily should I indulge him just because he voiced the request?
  • Morninglory81
    Options

Does it say how old her step son is? What if he is too young to cook?
    Than he is to young to make decisions about what is eaten. It's just that simple.