Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, on my second cup of coffee already. Going to have to drop off my car for muffler repair and hope nothing else pops up-10 year old car so you never know.

Another 2 busy days but things will cool off for Sunday and i hope to plant my cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. I know I am super late getting them planted but that's the best I can do!

Day 4 of "clean" eating for me that means no sweets or processed foods. Have to say i am feeling a little better and certainly not deprived. I love eggs, yogurt, fruits, vegetables, salads so I am not feeling deprived in the least. Is this because I'm too busy? Not sure, but planning out my food, packing it and not spending money on the road all go hand in feeling better for me. I think this could be the trick to maintenance for me, but we'll see. Can't let "perfect be the enemy of good"

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    a quick morning, going to wash my hair and off to get Tal on the bus...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sorry Joyce, but I simply had to laugh when you wrote
    Penny, I loved you history lesson with pictures. They don't look good at all. Stay safe.

My pictures were of (IMHO) gorgeous Norwegian folk dress and posed no conceivable threat to safety, so I was puzzled at first. But then I figured out you must have intended those comments for Janet :laugh:
    Janet, we get news reports on your tornados

Heather - Some friends went through a similar process. Long ago, these two divorced people and their combined brood of five teenagers had moved to a huge apartment in downtown Stockholm. When the children all moved out they found themselves with far more space than they needed, so they put the apartment on the market. It was central enough and charming enough that plenty of billionaires lined up as potential buyers. But my friends couldn't find any other place that took their fancy. In the end, they decided they liked what they had. They took the apartment off the market, and ten years on they still live there.

Kelly - The ø is pronounced like the vowel sound in the English word "herd" before you get anywhere near the "r". Dunno if that helps.

My deepest sympathy to all of you who are struggling with too much heat. I wilt when it gets hot. We've still got plenty snow on the ground and I made a point of enjoying the endless supply of "cool" coming through the front door when I waved my husband off to work this morning.

There's hope for my back! Yesterday, for the first time in weeks, I was able to bend over and put both feet through the leg holes in my underwear without gasping, and without the help of ibuprofen. I hope to be able to jog again soon. No chance I'll be participating in this year's local half-marathon, though. :sad:

t118008.gif /Penny, happy to be near the North Pole

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Penny- I totally understand the sound of that letter. I was thinking that might be the sound it made. Reminds me of what the umlaut does over German vowels. Or some of the vowel combinations in the French language. Thanks for clarifying the possible reason for Janet's comment on the folk dresses! LOL! I was thinking I missed something...
    NYKaren- Clean eating is very similar to how I cook normally, for both my family and my daycare kids. It was actually my daycare that pushed me into the "whole foods" or "clean eating" movement. I don't prepare meals with processed foods. No frozen chicken nuggets, no boxed pastas, potatoes, rices, soups, or sauces, etc. It has removed a lot of sodium, sugar, and unnecessary fillers/fats from our diet. Because this requires a bit more work on my side; it has given the daycare kids more opportunity to be helpers in the kitchen (and they love that). They love to help make the sauces for pasta and pizza. They help make the pizza dough and bread doughs. And they are all very good eaters. The "pickiness" doesn't kick in until after they start school. Then they want what the other kids have. The lunchable lunch kits with the candy treat and juice box are talked about often. We do our own version with crackers, cubed chicken, cubed cheese, fresh fruit and veg and then I have a yummy recipe for these energy bites with dates and oatmeal for a little sweet treat. It is amazing how much better you feel, if you can eliminate the processed things!

I am running on empty today. Yesterday was a great day; but didn't sleep much last night due to DH moaning and tossing and turning. Stress at work plus a bad week with his RA, left him in pain last night. I am sure, if there had been a camera recording our crazy sleep session, it would have been classic sitcom fodder. Never wanted to put a pillow over some one's head more.... kids arriving

ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good morning dear ladies! TGIF!

First, so glad none of you (that we know of) blew away in the storms or had any damage. Just when we think we’re in charge, nature reminds us we're not. Every day we're not blown away, shaken by earthquakes, spit on by volcanoes, washed away by floods, toasted in 115f degree heat or frozen at -50f is a good day to my way of thinking.

Pip
    – I’ve been meaning to ask you – with exercise and calories burned, do you also have any special eating plan? You can probably down tubs of ice cream and burn off every bit! Is there ever a time you were heavier and had to “diet” to lose weight? I admire your energy and tenacity.

Penny – those costumes are gorgeous, love it that Norway keeps those traditions. Wearing the same dress all of your life certainly is a good reason NOT to gain weight. I’d have a closet full of many different sizes and be in the poorhouse. B) Are the Norwegians fairly fit as a rule or have they too been experiencing the effects of processed food? SO GLAD your back is doing better…just takes time in most cases.

Machka - sounds like you are recovering well! Sending you thoughts for a good report!

NYKaren – sorry to hear about your muffler! Hope it’s not too expensive to get it repaired/replaced! When we lived in the Midwest where they salted the roads in the winter, seems like we were always having problems like that. They do use anti-freeze solution on the icy roads here in WA State but it doesn’t seem corrosive. When my dad wanted a new (used) car, he’d fly to Florida and buy one that still had a good undercarriage and drive it back to Indiana.

Kelly - I love the idea of the kids helping you make ‘clean’ foods and lunches. I have never walked 17,000 steps! Way to go!

Heather – Happy you and DH are at peace with staying at your current home.

Speeding tickets…I too am very lucky they haven’t caught me yet. I keep reminding myself to slow down. On the freeway I keep up with traffic but try to never be the leader of the pack, lol. I figure the middle of the sandwich is the safest place to be. Country roads…I take the same ones 99% of the time and know where the deputies hide out with their radar. If they get a new spot I’ll be sunk.

Love my new dentist’s office! The hygienist is a doll. We had a good conversation about oil-pulling, she’s a big fan and told me about the chemistry of it as it removes plaque from teeth and makes a person’s mouth healthy. I’m going to give it a try…I put coconut oil on my hair and leave it there for 20 minutes, why can’t I swish it around in my mouth for 20 minutes? That might be easier said than done, lol. She said don’t spit it in the sink or swallow it, spit it into the trashcan so the oil doesn’t later harden in the pipes. The dentist wrote me a prescription for Prevident to use instead of Sensodyne for my sensitive teeth. It’s not covered by insurance but will give it a try and see if it helps one tooth in particular.

Potting Shed: I’m going to clean out and clean up the potting shed and make it into my “exercise” room, at least in warm weather – it’s not heated. I used to do my Leslie Sansone tapes out there and keep little weights there as well so I know it will work, I even have an area carpet over the floor already. So I’ll shake out the carpet, sweep out the dirt and dead bugs and get busy these next few days before the heat wave sets in. I’ll still be able to store a lot of gardening stuff in it and there will be a nice big counter available to work with plants if I need to. Yesterday I sorted out half a garbage can of old pots for starters.

For all of us making new starts….

vnxxonwo3z5m.jpg

<3 Make it a good day. <3

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    TGIF! This is my Mexican Day!
    I started out with Migas and strawberries. (Scrambled eggs with corn tortillas torn into bits added with cheese. Just a sprinkle to keep the fat down) This evening we will be going down to our regular place, Cotija's for dinner! I got to get my fresh salsa fix!

Dana in Arkansas

Suggestions for breakfast:
    e479dsr86mdw.png

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    349180qbrs38gysa.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KJ Wrote "Penny- "Thanks for clarifying the possible reason for Janet's comment on the folk dresses! LOL! I was thinking I missed something.."

The saga continues. Kelly that was Joyce's comment regarding the beautiful dresses NOT mine. I like this game :)

Janetr okc
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    :D
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Brother and sister in law just left at 6.45!!!! They came for lunch at 12.25. Must have had a good time. :D
    The meal was terrific and the star of the show was the Crepes Suzette. I'm not a dessert person, but it was unbelievably good. I enjoyed setting fire to the orange liqueur. >:)
    Tired now, but happy. DH is washing up. <3

There were three hailstorms during the afternoon!

I have one left over fish cake for my dinner. I did give my brother the rest of the smelly cheese to take home with him. His wife said he would probably eat it in the car. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx