WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

Well, the hubster survived his first week back at work. For those who didn't know, he shattered his left wrist and broke the scaphoid bone in his hand in a workplace accident February 1, had surgery two weeks later, and was off for three and a half months, all told, before going back to work this last Monday. He held up well through the week, and each day he comes home with new triumphs to share. His hand and wrist are tired and sore, but doing well, all things considered. His final assessment for any permanent disability will be June 4, and then we are (one hopes) done. So glad to have my husband back.

I traveled all last week, and will be doing the trek into Midland & Odessa this week, as well, for a media lunch & learn combined with as many meetings as I can shove into one day. Still trying to get a handle on all the grants in progress. My predecessor, who was in her late 70s, passed away in February after a cancer diagnosis just a few months prior. If she were here to ask, there would be fewer issues with tracking down information, but then, I wouldn't have the job.

On the reason while we're all here--please note that I am not disapproving in any way of those who follow particular diets or regimens. My instinct tells me, however, that for me, I MUST find a way of eating I can live with for the rest of my life. Any diet that leaves specific foods, categories of foods out will backfire and I'll simply gain the weight back. I've done that all my life, and it's time to stop it. Still working on it, and haven't found the perfect answer yet, but MFP's emphasis on calories-in must be less than calories-out, seems to be closest. Now I simply need to make it a habit again to log. The corollary is that any workout plan that I cannot sustain, at least in a modified fashion as I get older, will also fail, and the backlash won't be pleasant. Dealing with that now.

Still formulating these theories for myself, so take them all with a grain of salt. The yo-yoing, 45 pounds off, 35 pounds on, is hurting me, and I know it, and it's time to accommodate who I am into what I hope to accomplish.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    CICO - I am a great fan too. Simply because it works for me I eat fewer simple carbs, but I've nothing against them as such, I'd just rather eat the tasty savoury stuff. :D The other good thing about CICO is that it encourages me to exercise. I do log every day. Can't imagine not doing it nowdays!

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all about CICO. But I suspect The rash I have is food related and am trying to leave out gluten to see if that could be a cause. Day 5 of gluten free and I thought things were better but woke up super itchy! Ah well, I'm sticking with this idea for a while and if the rash keeps up, I will get to a doctor. I have easily dropped a few pounds this busy week, not hungry, and am at goal weight again, but still itchy :#

The car repair was not so expensive, love my civic! And gratefully the horrible and sudden hot weather has lifted. I'm sure it will be a pretty day!

Cheers to everyone, NYKAREN
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good morning!

It's Saturday and I'm glad I'm in Arkansas and not in Cheyenne, Wyoming! Look at the snow!
    Although, we will have a line of storms coming in from Oklahoma in a few hours.

Dana in Arkansas
    gl0uf3ouqkb4.jpg

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Up early, but we were asleep by 10.30. Early for us. :D

I'm still relishing not having to think about moving. Sigh of relief! I've had some lovely messages from my friends in the yoga group, who say they are delighted I'm staying. <3 Sometimes I catch myself thinking, "Oh, I must put that away and tidy up" and then I realise no one is going to see it!
    I've found a holiday apartment in Hove, just 15 minutes stroll from my son's, which looks really nice, so I might investigate when would be a good time to go down there. It has parking and is adjoining the owner's house. Or there are good deals on hotels in Brighton. It's nice to stay at their place and the grandchildren love it, but one night is enough all round! I never sleep that well and I do feel as if we are intruding a bit, though it's fine for once in a while. I haven't heard back at all from my DDIL so I hope she isn't feeling put out by our decision. I know she was very excited by the idea of our move. :'(

I can hear the birds singing away outside my windows. It is so brilliantly green and the rising sun is streaming in. Lucky us.

I've got a quiet patch for a bit, apart from a mammogram, so I hope to get back to my memoir. It's been sadly neglected recently. We will try to organise a decorator for the hall and landing and a bit of garden help now we are not paying out the huge moving costs. (There will be withdrawal expenses from the agent)

Sending out love to everyone who is under stress right now. So many of us. I send my very best hugs. <3<3<3

Love Heather UK in beautiful Hampshire xxxxxxxxxx

Heather, I was thrilled to read this. You now get to look at your present home with fresh eyes. It will be fun to mentally move in again. The idea of a holiday apartment in Hove is wonderful. New options opening up for you and what a relief not having to pack up. <3<3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Agree with all of the food/calorie talk. Although I DO follow a plan (lots of protein, less carb, less fat), I also follow CICO. MFP helps push me to exercise daily, so I can have a little more leeway in my eating plan. For now, because I am still 80 pounds overweight, I do deny myself things. I DO refer to it as bad food or bad choices. I haven't yet reached that point where I don't like/want/or crave junk food (crap, as Pip calls it). My "death row" meal is still, and probably always will be, a Whopper from Burger King. I have about one a year. As my kids are now on their own, it has gotten much easier for me to drive past all of the fast food places.

All of the talk of measles, mumps, and chicken pox, reminded me of when my kids had them. My DD got them first. She had them everywhere, but probably what I would consider an average coverage amount. She was five and ran through the house with her arms stiff at her sides, her hands stiffened into claws, yelling "I ITCH! I ITCH! I ITCH!" She spent a LOT of time putting frozen bags of peas, and ice packs on her body. My DOS, then caught them. He got only 4 or 5 spots. LOL! But the baby! Oh MY! DYS was only 6 months old and the pediatrician said he probably wouldn't get them because he still had a lot of my immunity in his system. He looked like a blister monster! But he was the happiest kid! He would just lay around, all blistery and gross looking and smile and laugh and roll around. He probably thought he was being tickled. Anyway, here is a picture of him in all of his chicken-pocked glory!6i8718ks6c7k.jpg

I can't imagine having it as an adult; although I did have poison ivy a few years ago. Ended up at the docs office because I apparently am extremely allergic to it. My arm (it was mainly on my right arm) looked like some one had poured boiling oil on it. Large blisters (hand sized) covering my whole arm fingertip to shoulder. The nurses wanted to send me to ER because they thought I had burned myself, then the doc saw it and diagnosed poison ivy allergy. Weeks of meds plus steroids. It was ugly, itchy and painful. To this day, I remember how wonderful it felt to run hot water over it. Doc didn't want me to do that, because I wanted the water really hot and he feared I would inadvertently burn my skin; but I think it was the pain of the heat that over rode the intense itch. Weird, but it helped.

Gotta get busy with Saturday errands. The Kite Festival is this weekend at the beach. Weather doesn't look like it will cooperate; but if the rain holds off, I will go check it out. Maybe get some pics to show you! ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I can't imagine having it as an adult;

I had chicken pox when I was a baby ... just a few spots and the Dr said that was that, I was immune.

12 years later, my 10-year old brother came home with chicken pox. His case wasn't too bad and my mother let us play together because she was convinced I was immune.

2 weeks later ... yep. I was covered head to toe ... even over my eyes so that for several days I couldn't open my eyes. I was so sick with them ... and not particularly itchy. They were huge and painful. At one point, I heard my mother (a nurse) talking on the phone with the Dr, wondering about small pox. He came to see me shortly after that conversation, and they did debate about small pox vs. chicken pox for a while, but decided it was likely just a really bad case of chicken pox, made worse because of my age.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    I agree with you all about CICO. But I suspect The rash I have is food related and am trying to leave out gluten to see if that could be a cause. Day 5 of gluten free and I thought things were better but woke up super itchy! Ah well, I'm sticking with this idea for a while and if the rash keeps up, I will get to a doctor. I have easily dropped a few pounds this busy week, not hungry, and am at goal weight again, but still itchy :#

I get really itchy/prickly ... like heat rash ... as part of my perimenopause. Hot flashes, itchy/prickly, and nausea all at once for a couple days each month.

Have you also done the usual stuff like washing all the bedding and clothes in really hot water and/or eucalyptus to rid them of dust mites and other allergens?

I've also found that washing with zinc based shampoos can be helpful.

• carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I signed up for MFP way back, but have never actually used it, so I guess I'm still a newby. I am way over 50, so I guess I fit in here.

I follow low carb because I have diabetes, but my main weight problem is cause by a bad habit of grazing, snacking throughout the day. I see food, and just pop it into my mouth, mindlessly. I am now working toward just eating my meals. It is very hard. I think I formed this habit when I first started eating low carb. I told myself I could eat when and what I wanted as long as it wasn't carbs. Years of not losing has told me that that is just not true. Now I want to only eat when I'm hungry. Once I have this habit conquered, if I am not losing, I will start to examine portions. I'm hoping MFP will help me with this, once I figure out how to do it!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I applaud your decision to put the move on hold after such a long time without selling your house. Finding a "vacation" place to stay near the family might be a great compromise. You are good at taking vacation trips. Having one's home ready to be viewed is a huge source of stress and a consumer of time.

:)Machka, It has been almost eight months since my surgery but I still remember the low energy, weight gain, and restrictions from exercise. I wish you a speedy recovery.

:) CICO is the way I've lost weight but since I'm an "abstainer" I've found it easier to leave some things completely out of my eating plan (cookies, cake, ice cream, doughnuts, sweet rolls, etc). Awhile back I stopped eating meat for reasons that have nothing to do with weight loss. I find that being mindful of what I eat is a spiritual exercise that serves me well and translates into other areas of my life. I learned early in this journey that the best food plan is the one you'll follow.

:) We're leaving in a few minutes for a meeting north of Seattle. It's a more than two hour trip that includes a ferry ride. I love the ferry.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    349180qbrs38gysa.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    yo peeps, rode home yesterday and my battery kicked the bucket on my chest strap of my hrm :0( at least I had my watch to count calories,.. it was windy, did I mention how much I love the wind?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Cold rainy day here. It was 80 last week. Now it is 40.

I think I made peace with colleague. Our joint student did something that I had to involve the principal. When the principal contacted the family. The mother came charging up and blamed my colleague for what happened. This is the woman who eats her lunch with him everyday so he is calmer for the afternoon. The woman who has gone to bat for him over and over. I went to her and told her she did not deserve such treatment and she is a good teacher. The mother just wanted a scapegoat.

The family of the student is a struggling family emotionally and financially. Both parents themselves were in special education program and lack the patience and skill to handle their child.

It is a heart break for all involved. For my part I have 22 other students who have just as much right to an education as this child. I need to be clear that as long as he acts in a safe respectful manner he is allowed in the classroom. Unfortunately for him and his classmates that is a hard goal for him to achieve.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-32X10X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    30 push-ups

May Move Your *kitten* Challenge
    I Will be walking all day today!

Move More Sit Less
    I won't be sitting very much today!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th
    Day 28/28 last day of challenge today!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: The holiday rental apartment at Hove is a great idea! :bigsmile:

Lisa: Congratulations on all of your good news! Yoyo-ing is hard on your body so I'm happy that you're taking a look at strategies that you can use forever. Logging every bite and swallow is my main strategy along with moving more. In the beginning I had to measure everything because I had trouble understanding what a good portion would be. I still measure things at home but not everything everyday. I try to find restaurants that post calorie & nutrition information when travelling but also need to guesstimate while travelling. Logging everything is the main way I stay in control. Good luck. Calories In/Calories Out, aka CICO. (((HUGS)))

NYKaren: DH tried going gluten free but it didn't improve his health situation and many of the gluten free foods had less than healthful ingredients plus higher calories. He even drank gluten free beer. He was not a celiac so it didn't have any health advantages for him and, as I said, many of the gluten free foods were higher in calories. Good luck sorting things out. :smiley:

Carolpa: Welcome to a great group! You are on the right track. If you need to graze, celery is miracle food. It takes more calories to chew and digest than in contains--unless you dip it in tasty and fattening things. Portion sizes were my main downfall & I needed to measure to see how much I should be eating. I still measure some things and guestimate others. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Enjoy your ferry ride! I love ferries!!!!! :heart:

There will be a horse chiropractor out at the stable today and I want to go out and watch. I have been the person who gives back rubs and massages since I was a little kid, so I have a longstanding interest in bodywork. I want to see what that looks like for a horse.

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good morning!
    Well, it's raining and it's a dark lazy day.

Lisa has your DH used a wrist brace or wrap? That may help him. I also yo-yo'd up and down for years and it can't be healthy. I just want to be healthy and I have to take off 70 more lbs. MFP has worked really well for me. It keeps me focused on my health instead of food.

Machka I hope you are feeling better!!
    FYI: A new carbon based bike manufacturer is now in Arkansas.
    Gran Fondo is their name. 100% of the bikes parts are made here. That's cool, since so many are made in China.

Heather Happy to hear you are staying put. Sometimes you need a change but maybe some redecorating in in order. A good spring cleaning and fresh paint can do miracles! It would be cool to have a vacation house too! Every once in a while my hubby and I toss around finding a cabin out by the lake. Only 45 minutes away but still away from home!
    I redecorated our guest room after my mother moved out. We painted it a lighter shade and kind of set the tone for paint for the rest of the house. We did paint the wall behind our king sleigh bed because I knew we couldn't move it once it was set up. I attached a few pictures of projects lately.

Dana in Arkansas
    The old window is a project I did. Attached a shelf using old iron brackets I had and stapled fabric to the back for curtains. It turned out cute!
    8ndrxdnagh2y.jpg
    ithzcuybq5au.jpg

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    Kirby is off this week end and we r going for my yearly free bday burger (actually I get a salad that's till hi in cal) at Red Robin! go there 2 x a year, one for my bday, the other for his :0)