WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Missed so much but I have been reading.
    Happy Birthday Pip. Love the puppies picture.
    Penny - awesome pictures of your wonderful area. We are so hot and humid here and you said below freezing. Hard to imagine we live on the same planet.
    I am trying to get myself back on track with eating and posting but somewhere along the way lost my momentum. I went to water aerobics this morning at our outdoor pool and water was so cold. Still not warm!!!
    Welcome to all the new ladies. Seems like there is another Texas girl but I forgot the name, could it be Ann?
    SueBDew in TX
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Dana, I loved Cheyenne, WY when I stopped there on a cross country trip About 20 (wow has it been that Lon) years ago. A friend and I stopped for the night and couldn't get a room because the asphalt convention was in town, in July! I very nice young man at one of the hotels did find one for us in a run down motel. Better than nothing when you are hundreds of miles away from civilization. Had the most fantastic steak dinner. Bought an authentic cowboy hat to commemorate the visit, i smile every time I see it.

Enjoy your visit. Safe travels.

Chris in MA
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Kate in the U.K., you made that?! Wow are you talented!
    Chris in MA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Nice day, nothing planned for the weekend but possibly a little shopping with DD. We will finish cleaning up the gazebo area and probably eat out there for Memorial Day.

Katla - Glad the new glasses are now working well.

Penny - Gorgeous pictures.

Becca - Don't sunburn. Have you ever considered being a laughter yoga instructor? I think you would make a good one. I took laughter yoga classes a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Joyce - Hope the kitties continue to adjust.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend, Sue in WA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – While that is a ‘good point’; I try not to ‘fret’ over it. We’ve got all our bills paid, so really the only thing we have to pay for is mortgage, utilities, phone, car, gas, and groceries. We decided to ‘cash’ in some of our retirement [my inheritance] and live off our SSI and my retirement. We call the money that Louis takes out of his business, our ‘fluff’ money and we have an Emergency fund. I guess in a way our DOS and DDnL#1’s bankruptcy brought to mind how things can get pared down and live within our means. They were going to have ‘more’ spendable income that we did. I told my DOS that I would no longer pay towards ‘tuition’ and that the 3 years of ‘property taxes’ we have paid for them would need to be paid back. Basically, I will ‘forgive’ the debt by what I was paying for ‘tuition’ each month. He agreed to do it; and, our DYS paid the final $2500 still owing on the FASFA loan when he went off to college. I hope that ‘good genes’ will be for both of us. They’ll just have to sell the land if they can’t pay for me to be in a nursing home, otherwise. Same for Louis … but, each of us had parents that lived well into their 80’s as well as grandparents and aunts and uncles. We have Medicare and other health insurance. I don’t want to live with my children, healthy or otherwise. DYS is more likely to help with finances that DOS; but, DOS will check on us, daily if necessary. But, it is my belief that we don’t ‘know’ what the future might bring … today is the present we have received and be thankful for. It isn’t like we have ZERO money … we have money we can get to immediately and other money that is invested. Paying off bills that had ‘high’ interest rates was like saving a $600 a month. When you look at the bills, they show how long it will take you to pay them off if you only pay the minimum; and, we always paid more. We agree that we will no long use ‘credit cards’, especially ‘bank credit cards’; because it is the ‘interest’ you are paying that they are making their money on; they don’t want you to pay them off monthly. Some still charge interest on the month you carry a balance. We sat down and, for maybe the first time in our marriage, made out a budget that covers everything that we might even ‘consider’ spending. If Louis could no longer work, and that is a possibility with a job that is psychically taxing as painting house is, then that money will go away and I would like to think we ‘could’ live off our SSIs and my Retirement.

I think about my parents, as well as my in-laws, who did not have any retirement and they made it. They had insurance and that was it. We have a stand of timber that 'if' times really got rough, we could clear-cut it; but, don't want to. We've thinned it twice and probably won't cut it in our lifetimes. Our grandparents had a totally different life-style. I’m sure it is not for everyone. I have a medical condition that could easily mean ‘long-term care’; but, as long as I take my medication and it continues working for me – that is great in my opinion. Louis is 75 and he works a psychically taxing job; but, he is also a “Type-A’ personality. He is always doing something. I wonder, at times, if he is ‘mowing the grass’ just to sit on it with his earplugs and not a worry in the world. Sure, I’d love to travel. My oldest sister and her husband are always going somewhere. Usually with friends. I have a HS friend who is in a ‘committed’ relationship and she’s been places with him that she never ‘dreamed’ of going. She is always posting pictures on these faraway places and it is almost like I am along with them. We have lunch together 4x a year and they tell us all about it. Not in a bragging way, her S/O is really a very humble man.

I guess I just don’t worry about a lot of things. As for you, you have a very active life; I’d like to have ½ as much energy and places to go ‘for fun’ as you seem to have in your community; but, we live ‘out in the country’; but, the ‘peace and quiet and unhurried time’ is special.

Louis had Madison’s boyfriend’s Dad come over and look at the porch. Finally! I can see it being finished and I am so excited that ‘if I knew how to line dance’ I’d be doing it. Does hopping around count as dancing? When I started buying plants and putting them out there, I think he realized just how important (to me) that it was to have it finished. I’ve been opening the French doors to it from the bedroom and in the afternoon he comes in and makes a remark about the doors being open. In the mornings, it is a lot cooler out there than it is inside. In the afternoon the thermostat is set of 75 and I am comfortable. I’ve enjoyed just going out there in the mornings and reading. I have got to get him to look at the rocker (metal furniture) we bought several years ago and show him what I ‘think’ will ‘fix it’. I might have to do it myself and if so, I will. But, that is just me … I can do things that need to be ‘fixed’ if I have to. It’s nice when he does it for me. I think the only thing that upsets me is when he talks about ‘if he had been smart he would have gotten a 15 year mortgage, that way the house would be paid for’. Well, it isn’t, so stop talking about being stupid … we did what we had to do; and, I refinanced it one day without him being in on the decision and the interest rate went to the ‘lowest point’ it has ever been and we knocked off $45,000 right off the bat. I think I surprised him by doing something that he wasn’t in on the decision, although we do talk about ‘big things’ like that. DDnL#2 sent me a book on finances and it prevented us from making a ‘really stupid’ move. But, some of the stuff in the book was geared to younger couples, not ones that are retired or only working because that is his choice.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) I love my Friday morning dance class. It was smaller than usual, most likely because of the holiday weekend. I was happy to see one student who has been gone in her RV for many months. She and her husband came back to town for a few days and she had him bring her to dance class. She has been dancing in classes in many other states and said nice things to me about how much she missed my teaching compared to teachers in other classes. I don't need compliments to keep me going, but it did feel good.

:)Lenora, those were great reminders.

:)Katla, what good news about your glasses

:) I didn't sleep well last night so I welcomed the opportunity to take a nap this afternoon with the whole family.

<3 Barbie
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Yep Katla. I am a smart nudist! My husband is my one and only oil man! Course he swatted my behind as I was lying on the sleeping bag on the deck! That man tsk! tsk!
    I have never heard of a laughter yoga teacher?!! I shall research that!
    Well I have a small chicken in the oven, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing and peas with bread. Its like Thanksgiving for chickens! Well this little chicken is probably not to happy, but whatcha gonna do!
    Becca
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    To all my American friends, have a wonderful Memorial Weekend. Take care and stay safe.
    Attached is a picture of the lap top quilt i have just finished.

Hugs everyone
    Paula Y
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Paula Y - the quilt is gorgeous. I love the colors.

Janetr okc

• clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the first day of a 4 day weekend. Spent most of the day outside cleaning and enjoying the pool. Scrubbed the tile and grout. I love crepe myrtles and have 6 of them in the small backyard, but they really can put a lot of debris in the pool.

My daughter an granddaughter dropped by for a bit. They didn't stay in the pool long. The water may have felt a little chilly to Madison.

The high was 93 today with a heat advisory for tomorrow. It seems like the temps have stayed in the 80's for longer this year.

No big plans for the rest of weekend. Need to do some yard work and hope to start a new book.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

Cathy, Arlington, TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Paula Y - awesome quilt

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Paula Y, that is a gorgeous quilt! So many of you ladies talented like that!

You all have a relaxing weekend, and realize all the freedoms we are blessed with. That didn't come easily, but on the backs of many a fallen servicemen. This weekend I am proud to be a retired chiefs wife, and a Mom of active duty sailors!

Becca
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Mia, that is interesting information on the wedding cake pricing. I just had a small 2 layer cake and don’t remember what it cost but tht was almost 50 years ago. Lol

Lanette, that is a beautiful “Cousin It” by your garage. Do let us know when you find the mouse trap.

MicheleNC, yes I am sharing a room at the convention. I hope you didn’t think we all wore pj’s to the general meetings. LOL

Paula, that is sad about the accidents around you lately.

Katla, so glad to hear that your DH is maintaining his health. Thankful for that.

Heather, sorry to hear that the phone call from your Realtor caused an upset. I’d carry on as if you didn’t get the call since it could take them longer to sell their homes than what you had yours on the market. I can’t believe they charge you to terminate the contract when you simply decided not to sell at this time. ((((Hugs))))

Allie, have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your get away.

Dana, congrats on getting rid of that tub of butter! Way to go!!

Kay, sorry about the results of the mammogram. I’ve been through that a few times that all turned out to be nothing but the waiting to find out was not fun. Good luck.

Beth, you did a wonderful job with the cupcake tower. If you aren’t a baker why in the world would your friend ask you to do the cakes? LOL The real question is, are you still friends?

Allie, I hope you like the new attorney. Tom would be lucky to get anything if I were in your shoes.

Barbie, so glad things seem to be going well with Jake. (((Hugs)))

Ann/TN, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often. If you have any questions, tech or otherwise, someone in this group will surely know the answer. One day at a time is the only way to attack this journey, so good luck.

Kate, I think I’d go ahead and get both eyes done now also. Good luck.

Lisa, I can’t even imagine taking on the task of baking my own wedding cake. Even the simplest wedding has enough stress with it. Great job.

Sara, congrats on the 25 years of Service. I hope the ceremony was what you wanted yesterday.

Heather, I don’t like choosing colors for paint either. There are just too many choices and it’s hard to tell what it will really look like from a small swatch.

Pam, welcome. We always have room for more. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. Also it’s great if you sign each post with your name and location, to help us keep things straight. Some of us (not saying who) are getting older and have a hard time with who’s posting what. Come often.

Dana, have a fun and safe weekend. Pretty cake.

Pip, great bd pic from Kirby and the kids. I hope it was a great one.

Heather, pretty flowers. I need to add some color to our backyard.

M, congrats on results!!!

Penny, beautiful views. Sure looks cold to this Southerner.

Allie, I’d say tell the attorney everything and let them decide what works.

Sue, I loved your “Special Gifts” poem and I feel the same way about this group of lovely ladies.

Katla, so glad you got your glasses fixed. I would have probably put a patch over the one eye rather than have that constant headache. I just don’t get them so have no patience for them when I do. Glad you are better!!!

Gloria, bowling always reminds me of Terri, too. I sure miss her. She’s probably busy winning all the radio contests.

Kate, I’m impressed. And yes, that is a bright yellow shirt. Did he want it for a specific occation? It’s just like a ray of sunshine. t113004.gif

Paula, that quilt is absolutely beautiful. Wow.

We expected the man to power wash the house this afternoon as well as an electrician to repair the microwave but neither of them showed or so much as called. I don’t know what it is about contractors of any kind? DH gets so upset but we know every time that this can happen.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I needed a birthday gift for a bff so went to Steinmart the other day. I found a great looking 2 piece top that I thought she would like and it was marked down to $25. Yesterday I took it out of the bag to put in a gift box and noticed that the back seam was not sown for about 10 or 12 inches. I knew they only had one other and it was a small which would be too little so I was very disappointed. I went to return it today not knowing what I would get her but as I walked into the store there was a lady in front of me that was returning the exact top. We chatted and laughed about it and I found that hers was the size I needed. Woo Hoo I guess it was meant to be and now only hope she likes it.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you. And a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.t9301.gif

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, Just checking in, I have enjoyed all the pictures, as well as everyone's updates.
    Marti from Ontario, Oregon.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow DJ, that is quite the coincidence. I a, so glad when life happens that way.

Penny, loved your pictures. You will ha to post them again when we are all having the high temps this summer.

I never knew getting this little kitty would be so emotional. I know training a new animal from the get go is important but I don't like to say 'no' to something that just got in my house. But he has all his claws and sometimes he will be flying across the room and jump on my legs. Triple ouch!!!!!! I have little rips in my jeans. I know now when I go play with him to put a towel on my lap. But there are also the times when he gets up on my shoulders and on top of my head. I have tried to take a decent picture of him but he won't slow down. Ok, the emotional part. We have tried a couple of times to have them in the same room and Melody is hissing up a storm which she has never done before since we had her. Of course there has never been another animal in the house. But then when Mr. Mozart is back in the office and I try to pick Melody up she won't let me. It's that reaction of my Melody that is so hard. As I have told Charlie so many times today, we have only had him for 24 hours.

OK! Those of you with cats. Have you ever used the claw caps? I have watched a couple of utube videos of putting them on and they are of a vet putting them on so I assume they are widely accepted. My legs need them. I do love the colors but Mr. Mozart is a guy. I can't put purple nails on him! They d come in clear. I am going to run out of neosporin and bandaides before this is over. The office is right next to my head as I sit here in bed and I can hear him jumping around in the bookcases and running around.

JOyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    Took mom to mercy hot springs
    l3bjv3f7shhj.jpg
    lae9jtiz83gc.jpg
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Carol yes, very menacing clouds for sure! That was on the west side of the Hwy 25 but there was a tornado that touched down on the east side miles out. It was the same storm. Now I know why all those trucks were hauling a** past me!
    The speed limit is 75 mph out there! I was going 80 and they were passing me!
    I have had a good time. I ate too much; 300 calories over today, but we went walking around the park. It was good!!
    <3
    Dana in Arkansas
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    B)