WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Vicki the guy in the accident they think had a seizure. He might have put his foot on the accelerator thinking it was the brake. There is a video of the accident, but I would rather not see it. Hope man is okay.

Leigh gorgeous

Pip sorry you got hurt. Leg problems no fun.

:heart: Margaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Carol and Lisa, thanks so much. Lisa, would that I could. Wouldn't that be nice. I just finally got tired enough of fighting it It think. Carol, hope the meds do the trick now for the ear.

Penny, thanks for the pictures and story. I always share them with my husband I think he enjoys them as much as I do.

Dana, wow that ship was loaded. I too showed it to Jack. Looked like standing room only.

Barbie, continuing to send positive thots and prayers for your situation. I hope you are doing well. I think of you often during the day. You are so very important to all of us <3.

Janetr OKC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Really interesting article: http://time.com/4793832/the-weight-loss-trap/ The gist is, every individual is different. Big surprise. Nonetheless, some interesting research.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    The article said that people who are successful in losing weight and keeping it off are people who watch their calorie consumption and do more exercise. No excuses. No surprises. I still log every calorie every day and balance it out with my exercises. I am only a few ounces heavier than I was three and a half years ago when I got to target.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon! I had a rough night last night. After dinner, my stomach began to hurt. You know the feeling like a knot of pain. Initially, I thought it was muscle pain due to the weeding, but after I went to bed (early) at 8:30pm. The knot felt worse. By 10:00 I was in the bathroom vomiting. :( After about thirty minutes of this, I went back into my room and laid back down. Knot still there, but nothing left to come up. DH and DYS were standing in the doorway, concerned, because I am never sick. I finally fell asleep about midnight and slept until 8am. I feel better this morning, but tummy still wobbly. The guys feel fine, so at least I know it was not the meals I cooked yesterday. I am wondering if it could have been the chili lime peanuts I ate. Ah well. I may never know what that was all about.
    Pip- Hope your hip feels better and that it is just a bruise and nothing more serious! Do you have access to some warm water therapy?
    Penny and Leigh- Oh, the photos! Just stunning! Makes me want to sing "What a Wonderful World". REally! The diversity in our planet is just amazing, when you think of it. All of these different climates, land formations, natural wonders, all on one planet and we get to live here! Truly amazing.
    Lisa- Sorry about the losing the ac in the warehouse. But a trip to Alaska sounds wonderful and definitely a bonus to spend some time with Corey's dad. He sounds like a wonderful man/father. Also, great article on weight loss. Yes, some of it is nothing new to those of us who have learned that there is no ONE perfect diet or meal plan; but a lot of good information. Just think what those scientists could have learned from just being a part of our group!
    Dana- Wonderful photos of your dad and his time in the service! Thinking of him and all of those who gave their all so that we may have the things, freedoms, and opportunities that we so enjoy!
    Becca- Special hug to you and your military family for all that you have done and continue to do to keep us safe/free. I know memorial day is to remember those who gave their lives; but every day is a good day to thank those who are still with us and have served or are serving our country! Thank you!
    Penny- Do you have acrophobia or is it more an overwhelming sense of smallness? I don't have a fear of heights or open spaces; but there have been times when I have been in places that overwhelm me and make me feel very small. It is kind of a scary feeling, like the sky is just too big and it's pressing down on me. Oddly enough, Texas made me feel this way. Not in the city, but driving into the state on the highway, I even told me DH that I had never seen a sky so huge. It honestly seemed to go on forever. Overwhelming, but at the same time beautiful.
    Leigh-I have mentioned that my DD has been to France many times. One of her excursions took her to Switzerland for four days. Although, she loves France, she has stated many times that the mountains and valleys in Switzerland were the most beautiful places she has ever visited. Her photos are just stunning. When I told her that, she said "It is impossible to take a bad picture of scenery in Switzerland."

Well, today is my day to do nothing. Although, I got a lot done this weekend and there is still a lot to do; I am resting today. I ate coffee and toast this morning for breakfast and tummy still feels slightly icky. May try something bland for lunch. If it gets worse, I may bow out of the family bbq this afternoon at my BIL's. We shall see. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good Morning

Have a wonderful day!!

Marti from Ontario, Oregon
  • janetr7476
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kelly, hope you feel better so you can enjoy your day off and time with the family.

Heather, you are an inspiration and proof to me that I can do this too. I do log daily, but DON'T add on my late evening grazing. I know I can keep this off the rest of my life. For a yoyo dieter that has lost well over 500 pounds in my lifetime, I obviously still struggle with the mental demons of using food for my comfort/support system, I'm getting there though. This is the first time I haven't just given up and gained it all back within six months. After losing 125 pounds three and a half years later I'm up just under 10 pounds and determined to loose the remainder.

Thank you for showing us it can be done.

Janetr okc
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I missed a whole month again! I will try hard to check in and keep up in June! <insert sound of broken record>...

Hope all is well with everyone! Joined a couple of group challenges that start this week so I'm sure hoping it helps me. I'm really struggling with motivation the past month. Summer clothes always bring me to tears! ;)

Hugs,
    Tracie in Green Bay,WI
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    Im back home...not the warmest or best weather up there. but oh it was wonderful.. Jean did the cooking, I helped with Faith and did cleaning, Sean bless his heart was working basically non stop. I did walk to the beach a few times and enjoyed that.. and I went to Walmart Sunday morning and poked around, bought myself a few more clothes and then took the shore route back...here I am in the back of my head always looking to see if someday I could ever ever afford a place up there.. and then the sun came out and shown on the tidal marshes, and the ocean and I just praise the Lord at how grateful I was to have had this beautiful place in my life for 57 yrs.. to be with family for the weekend.. to have food on the table. and to help when I am needed..
    Like Barbie and her gratitude journal.. so very very blessed.. I dont know what the future holds , no one does.. but I still have a place to go up there if I want in the summer... so Yipee!!!
    KJ ~ Might I suggest covering your sandbox with something when not in use, alot of neighborhood cats might use it as a litter box...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Janetr - Your weight loss and determination to keep it off is terrific. <3 Why don't you log the evening grazing? I am not always good (usually alcohol related :( ) but I always log it. Have you devised a strategy for the evening grazing?
    We eat our main course early, just after 6pm usually, Then around 8 pm we have stewed fruit (low sugar) with homemade yoghurt. Then a bit after that I have one ounce of cheese. Then a bit after that, just before 9 pm, I have one or two sweets. All of that fits into my allowance and I feel I have been eating all evening and don't feel deprived. :D Could you eat later and save some calories for a later treat or two? I eat 1800 calories a day, or less. I earn 600 from exercise. I LOVE my food and must eat. I must eat delicious food that I adore or I feel deprived and that's when I used to eat too much. I obsess about food all day and can hardly wait for the next snack or meal. :o Luckily I love what I cook. :D Strategy works for me, I have never been great on willpower. :noway:

Katla - Yes, the banks are closed on a Bank Holiday Monday, as are schools and offices. Most shops are open for slightly shorter hours these days, though in the past they were shut. The transport often runs on a Sunday service, or sometimes not at all. This week is also the half term holiday, so kids are off school. That means it is much more expensive to go away this week and very crowded. My son's family are in Portugal for the week, in a villa shared with my DDIL 'S parents and paid for by them. Jealous? Moi? They all love it down there and are joined in the next door villa by my DDIL'S sister, their son and her husband, who is Portuguese. Sometimes his brother and family join them. A great time is had by all. :sad:

Heather, bitter and twisted in dull, grey Hampshire, UK xxxxxxx :laugh:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Dana my dad was a pilot is WWII too. He flew in Alaska. He was part of the battle of Midway. He was the commander of a scout plane and saw the Japanese were trying to set up a decoy. His plane was running out of fuel so they returned to base. The plane that replaced his did not make it back. I use this day to send prayers to those men and their families. For this mission he earned the distinguished flying cross. I posted a picture of his metal a year or so ago. I found someone who did a phenomenal job of framing it. She was able to make it so the back could be seen with his name and date inscribed of the back.

At that time of the war there was no Air Force. He flew with the Navy. He then became an instructor in Jacksonville Florida to train pilots for the war. I don't think my dad thought himself a courageous man rather a man who tried to do the right thing and do the best he could given the circumstances of where he was.

My mother never liked to watch WWII movies. The stress of those years were not ones she ever wanted to revisit.

:heart: Margaret
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. I sound like a broken record. I got to page 51. Chasing you ladies once again.

All of the wedding cake photos were gorgeous.

Barbie- I am so glad that you and Jake are working/fighting for your marriage.

Machka - So glad your results were good,

Where to start?
    Camping last weekend. We had a lot of fun. Sugar was a sweetheart and Snip is a magnificent quarter horse, he stands 16 hands high. I rode Sugar although I'm banned from riding ( It's the if I get thrown that is the worry). I rode Sugar but Snip.....Snip is magnificent. My brother did finally get a bit in his mouth and the saddle has been on 2x. Keira wants to be a cowgirl now. Me too, me too.
    Campfires, somemores, stories and some sing alongs. And the horses.

I think I have my deck pretty much planted. It seemed a lot harder and I don't think I had as much help.

Finally got to a doctor last Wednesday. They are going to try injections for my ankle. I am still waiting for them to phone. One of the options is fusing the ankle. I prefer to be able to walk normal for now but if need be then fusion it will be. It was suggested that I dig up my walker and use it sometimes. I'm resisting that.
    Another appointment on the 7th and maybe we can talk about the disability forms then.

Took my trike out for a ride. At least I can pedal without pain shooting up my ankle. No weight through it, so that is better.

I loved my weekend but dread going back to work tomorrow.

DGD Keira was asked to be a flower girl at my niece's wedding. She is over the moon excited. I don't know when the other 2 are being asked. I hope soon because she is not going to keep this to herself.

DH took Greysyn out driving today and even let him drive in town. One proud 14 yr. old. He showed Gramps his new learner's license.

Thank you ladies for being here.

-Sharon in Lethbridge.

Wohooooo running so ya can't catch me! OK is it just me, or were others thinking that too! Your camping trip sounded like a weekend of pure sliced heaven! We used to be historical reenactment campers. Had a trailer filled with cast iron pots, a fan out metal tripod fire pit, two bell shaped wedge handmade canvas tents, with the scalloped Renaissance edges on top, and wooden beams inside. It was magical, and everything had the scent of sandalwood and frankincense from our nightly incense lighting. We acquired a used Oriental rug, and bought many wooden chests for various items like the boys Renaissance clothes, my many skirts, chamois under dresses, and my many corsets. While in Japan I "built" my first corset, and doublet for husband. I had a guy cut me pieces of banding that goes around bricks when they are being transported. I rounded the edges and wrapped each with duct tape. Then to made the vest in layers. First layer was light material, then middle layer was a heavy material that I made pockets for the banding ( or stays ), to slip into, then the outer layer was a brocade fabric. It had fancy metal fasteners up the back. There were stays on the sides, back and front, so I really felt like I was wearing armor! My husband's doublet was black with slashes on it, with red material poking out. Very authentic, people would slash a fitted hand me down doublet, and to make it fit, by slashing the fabric decoratively, they could fit in it! I shall find pictures so you all can see!

Becca
  • janetr7476
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Heather - I guess the answer to not logging the grazing food at night is that I'm a "closet" eater. I wait until Jack goes to bed and I "sneak" in the kitchen. It's like "if I no one sees me it doesn't count", "if I don't write it down, it doesn't count", that old nasty mind set of the foodaholic. I do plan a snack in the evening and I do eat it. I usually graze when I'm overly tired, depressed, or stressed and need to go to bed instead of eat. My husband tells me I'm obsessive about my food and logging it and my exercise, but I tell him get used to it because that's not going to change. He's okay with it now and realizes it's part of who I am.

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    355382a2v8x6ezts.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    M
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sitting at Dallas/Love Field waiting to board my flight back home to Arkansas.
    Enjoy your evening!
    Dana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies. I have a sleeping cat across my shoulders.

Michele, nail caps are like artificial nails that we all have put on. Well, I have never had them. They come in all sorts of colors. You clip the nail, put the vinyl nail on with a glue inside the nail. According to the info, they stay on about 8 weeks which is about the length of time it would take for the nail to grow that long. I think they kind of naturally come off as the nail gets longer. They are completely safe if the cat chews and swallows them, including the glue. I am looking forward to them being on. He loves perches, including the top of the recliner, right under my chin, around my shoulders. Him and Melody are getting along better. Our living room furniture is pretty close and she will sit on the arm rest of the love seat and the other half on the arm of the recliner. So Charlie and I can be petting her at the same time. So Mr Mozart is on my lap, Melody hops up on the love seat and gets her usual perch and they are literally inches apart. Mr Mozart loves nosed and they just kind of discovered each others noses. Maybe the same way dogs have to sniff each others butts? But then later Melody was running up the stairs growling the whole time while Mr Mozart was chasing her. He has even invaded her sanctuary under my bed. He loves sitting on the arm of the recliner that is inches away from the tv and jsut watching the tv. He loves perched on top of it. I have no doubt he will at one time try to climb on top of the entertainment center. I have had to use a very fierce 'no' which I don't like hearing coming out of my mouth. It doesn't take that bad of a 'no' for Melody.

My Dad always wanted to be a pilot. But when he was in aeronomics school he found out he was color blind. So there goes being a pilot. So during the war, he was stationed in the thick of things in Guam as a mechanic. He never shot anyone but when the planes came in he saw some pretty terrible sights on the planes. He had nightmares right up until he died and he rarely talked about it. Mom got some pretty bad kicks and such while they were sleeping. He actually broke his foot while he was in the hospital from kicking the overbed table during his sleep.

I admire anyone who can sew at a level who can make clothes. I made some of the girls clothes when they were little and actually made a dress for me to wear on the one formal night when we took a cruise. My sister norma wore it when our brother got married.

Joyce, Indiana