WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Heather, I'm sitting here with butterflies in my stomach just thinking of doing the chart. The thing is rationally I tell myself Jack knows that I eat the crackers, chips, peanut butter or whatever when he goes to eat it and there is less there. He would never say anything to me about what I eat. I have seriously asked him to lock up the snacks that are particularly hard for me to resist. He refused to do so saying he didn't think that was the answer.

I'll have to get the stickers and then muster the courage to be honest with my gold stars. Thanks, Heather, I will be needing help from you to keep at it. Although nothing is a better incentive than the loss I saw this morning. Thanks for the encouragement <3

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :)Janetr, telling us about your late night closet eating is a good first step in seeking a solution. The next step is being willing to try a solution suggested by someone who has been successful (Heather and her drinking chart). I found when I started this journey that one important tool was being open minded to new ideas. Perhaps others will have suggestions that you can try. Like Heather, I plan my food for the day including a nighttime snack that is a treat for me (on an especially active day it's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on very high fiber bread).

:)Joyce, Bernie is ten years old and I still remember that when he was a kitten, my arms and legs looked like I'd gotten into barbed wire because of the scratches. Even so, at times I think I want another kitten.

:) I started my yard project today and I am so excited about how it will be. It involves digging up rocks from a section of the front yard, straining them to separate rocks from dirt, putting the rocks in a different area, then when the front yard section is cleared, covering the section with weed cloth and having better rocks brought in. It involves things I love--solitary work, work by hand, re-purposing materials (the old rocks) and spending not too much money.

<3 Barbie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – “High 5!”

Heather – When you find out ‘how’ to let the air out of a spare tire, please let me know. My belly makes me look like I am ‘easily’ 4 months along and just beginning to show. I’m too old for that.

Margaret – Louis’ Dad was stationed in Jacksonville, FL; and, I don’t know what his job was, maybe loading bombs on planes; but, he once told a story of a man walking into the props of a running engine plane. Said he was sick for days! Because he was 2nd generation French, as were his brothers, none of them were sent to Europe; France in particular. He was on a clean-up carrier that had just left port in Guam when they were ‘ordered’ to turn around. They were not told why; but, it was because of Pearl Harbor being bombed – something that even the Captain did not know. I worked with a woman who, she and her husband, were in the “Death Camps”. I saw her tattoo and asked her about it. I thought my boss was going to hurdle over two counters to get to me and pull me away. I did not know what I had done wrong until he told me her story. We finally got to the point that we could talk ‘about some things’. She was like a Mother hen to my boss. But, one thing she did that neither of us could ever stop her from doing was taking the cash drawer out of the cash register and counting it. Thankfully, she was never knocked over the head for it. He kept a loaded gun, and, I finally hid it from her. Whenever she was counting the money, she’d put the gun on the short end of the “L” shaped shelf under the cash register where it was visible. I came in one afternoon and she was down on her hands and knees trying to reach under the toe-kick where the ‘extra’ money from the lunch crowd was put. She wants ALL the money in the cash register. It took me a long time to teach her ‘how to give cash back without using all the small bills to do it. She wanted the change portions ‘full’! Since I worked a split shift while attending school, I took out the extra and left her with just enough to make change for a $50, telling her to put the $50 bill under the drawer. She’d have the money out on the counter and a customer would want cigarettes (in a rack opposite the counter) and she’d turn all the way around looking for cigarettes. We put them in the racks in a particular order, depending on the brands, so that we could reach them with both hands without having to turn our back to the customer.

Louis is also color-blind (green/brown); but not the other kind (pink/blue), so that did not keep him out of a submarine sighting plane. They flew over an active volcano in the early 60’s in Iceland. Some may not know this; but, Iceland is green; Greenland is ice … so named to prevent people from wanting to move there. That’s the story I have always heard.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    06wy3ol0i626.jpg
    My Walk/slow jog, hip a bit better, still limping, my route by my moms house sl59mhsw1avy03.jpg
  • pipcd34
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Took mom 2c sis, her husband and her husbands boss, took plastic fyl3n1nghell.jpg
    ic flowers ujlvgnetgy3f.jpg
    q2trx9epps5c.jpg
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hugs ladies!
    Becca
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been a nice day today. We pulled weeds for a couple of hours then went to play golf.
    Leigh and a Penny - beautiful pictures.
    Really tired. Think the cold, cold water that we did water aerobics in on Thursday made my back hurt. Must have pulled a muscle or something.
    Lisa- I agree there were some good research don for the article you posted. Now if they could just tell us the answer for the each of us on this thread!!
    SueBDew I in TX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Lanette, I hope it cools off for you. I actually love warm weather as long as the humidity isn’t too high. *In the summer, it usually is.*

Pip, tell ah, er, ammm, is that Floyd? That I said “hi” back. I saw him waving to me.

Heather, you aren’t like us at all in the car department. When we get a new one we get right in and go for a ride if it’s only around the block. Lol

Penny, beautiful pictures!!!

Janetr, great going on the loss!!! I need to buckle down and do that. I’m so proud of you.

CarolGA, glad you got to Urgent Care and hope you are feeling better.

Allie, so glad you got to get away. We are all blessed in so many ways and it’s good to stop and remember that.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope you all had a good Memorial Day. DH and I went to the Moose Lodge for their picnic celebration. The service was slow but we weren’t in a hurry so it was fine. DD stayed home to catch up on some of her TV shows while we were out of the house. Congrats to all with victories. I’m sending healing thoughts to all with illness or injuries. (((Hugs))) to all.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends -

Enjoying the pictures of you ladies who are traveling and have beautiful views from home.

Pip - love seeing your family photos (and of course, the pooch)

Janetr - Congrats on your loss!

Lisa - Alaska trip sounds like it will be very memorable. I lost my dad in 1969 (age 54) and mom in 1979 (age 63). I love to hear the stories from everyone about their parents.

Thank you all for sharing the stories about your dads' service. My father was 4F but he came home from the west coast and drafting school after Pearl Harbor to work for Cessna/ Beech/ and Boeing during the war. He was on the team that designed the hydraulic system on the B-29. It was a big race between the team in Seattle and the team in Wichita to get the project finished. Wichita won out! I was always proud of my dad and his contribution tho I never really understood the significance until recently.

TNToni
  • pipcd34
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Lanette, I hope it cools off for you. I actually love warm weather as long as the humidity isn’t too high. *In the summer, it usually is.*

Pip, tell ah, er, ammm, is that Floyd? That I said “hi” back. I saw him waving to me.

Heather, you aren’t like us at all in the car department. When we get a new one we get right in and go for a ride if it’s only around the block. Lol

Penny, beautiful pictures!!!

Janetr, great going on the loss!!! I need to buckle down and do that. I’m so proud of you.

CarolGA, glad you got to Urgent Care and hope you are feeling better.

Allie, so glad you got to get away. We are all blessed in so many ways and it’s good to stop and remember that.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I hope you all had a good Memorial Day. DH and I went to the Moose Lodge for their picnic celebration. The service was slow but we weren’t in a hurry so it was fine. DD stayed home to catch up on some of her TV shows while we were out of the house. Congrats to all with victories. I’m sending healing thoughts to all with illness or injuries. (((Hugs))) to all.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

That dog saying hi is Yogi's fiancé, hallie
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Interesting article. My Mimi was rail-thin most all her life; started putting on weight when she got older. My memory of her as a child are sketchy, at best. Mother was 'big' all her life. When she met my Daddy she was 'curvaceous' and about 145-150lbs (and she was 5'2" - stretching it). She got well over 350lbs after she had a wreck that broke her neck and was in a neck brace 24/7. Back when my mother was born, 1921-ish 'fat babies meant they were 'healthy' babies'. I have no idea why Mimi was so skinny. My Pop (although I only know what he looked like from pictures) was over 6' tall and he was 'lanky'. Mother was short and fat; her brother was tall and thin. Go figure! The 3 of us girls were what I would refer to a 'slim' throughout HS. Each of us have been 'heavy'; but, not really fat. I ended up weighing the most; but, I am also the tallest of the 3 of us. Oldest sister lost weight on WW; I gained. She exercised religiously; I didn't at the time. I lost 40-something pounds in 3 or 4 weeks when I was in ICU with "Lithium Toxicity" ... I would step up on the scales and think 'this can't be right'. I had lost 4 weeks of my life ... never, ever to return to it - memory-wise. I've had other memory destroying events in my life. But, when I saw pictures of myself at my DYS's wedding (granted, I had on flats, that did not help) ... I came home and decided that I would do something about it. My GYN 'ordered' me into a 'diet plan' and it has worked for me. I'm told by the young lady running the program that she wished all her other patients would get on MFP and bring in their daily sheets because that way she could tell them what they are doing wrong in the food they eat - tracking of not. She says a lot of them take a 'well, I 'think' I ate this or that ... but; it doesn't hold them accountable for what they eat or drink. Since going on MFP (introduced by DOGD) ... my water intake has gotten much better ... I drink a 'minimum' of 8 8-ounce glasses of water. The closer I get to my goal weight and BMI, the 'harder' it seems to be to get there. I just hope that, now that I am 'eating' healthier ... I can keep it off once I get there. Some days I feel 'full' and don't necessarily eat 3 square meals; other days I 'graze'. I have not done that since my thyroid was 'over-active'. I take so many medications, all with the side effect of 'weight gain' and cannot go 'off' them because of what they 'keep under control' ... I feel like this is a life-long venture. I'm trying to realize that it will be a 'lifestyle change' ... most days I can do it; then, Louis decides ... 'hey, let's go out tonight'. If he does it on a Saturday (early enough) I can justify not eating lunch and saving up the calories. This past 2 weeks ... I have exercised every day [not a lot, 15 minutes on the treadmill]; but, I do break a sweat. I don't know if I will be 'disappointed', 'relieved' or 'excited' when I step up on the scales tomorrow. I'm constantly between 159 and 164 and it is driving me crazy. I rarely drink alcohol; maybe one drink a month (depending on what or where we are eating). I watched my mother yo-yo all my life. She kept busy doing things so that she did not suffer from depression ... but, late in life she took pills that were Rx'd for her for BP, and other things. Sometimes I get a little frustrated at being so close, yet so far away.

Lenora
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Janet #1 - Thank you so very much, you know I'm struggling with this but I am so pleased with this lose finally. It has given me renewed incentive to keep at it. Heather's and Barbie's suggestions have also given me some new insight and tools to keep at it.

TNToni, thank you so much.

What would I do without you my friends. Thank you <3<3<3

Janetr OKC

• pipcd34
    Options
    L
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: When we have upsets of the sort you're talking about with your son's family vacationing in Portugal while you are stuck at home we often call it a "poor baby." You would be the "poor baby" in this situation because you didn't get to go to Portugal. (((HUGS)) I am the "poor baby" every time you and your DH go off on a foreign travel adventure. :ohwell:

Sharon: You are a lucky woman to go trail riding. Campfires, s'mores and sing alongs sound like wonderful fun. I'm glad you weren't hurt. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your yard project sounds like it will be very satisfying. :smiley:

It has been a good day. We went for a walk/bike ride this afternoon. DH was riding his Terra Trike while the dog and I walked along beside him. This is the most exercise he's done in months and I am beyond pleased. :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this group. I want to post an introduction but want to make sure I know what I am doing first.

Are there guidelines here that I need to know about?

Thanks!

Louise
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Janetr - I think the planned naughty snack/treat that Barbie talked about is a great idea. Eventually you may find you don't need it.
    Have you worked out why you need to be naughty? I certainly find it is a rebellion, an assertion of my independence, 'Now I'm alone I'll do d×÷+ well what I please and you can't stop me! ' I think the chart works the same way for me - it's saying, 'I am in control'. Sometimes I think it is anger at myself and a form of self punishment. Your success at losing weight will certainly help with your self esteem. Feeling good about ourselves/self discipline/healthy habits are very important in weight control.
    The chart may not work for you, but it's worth a try! <3 You might be able to think of other ways to reward yourself for good behaviour. For me it was important to have it "out there".

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - Katla - I think it's more that they are spending a whole week with her parents. The parents are paying for the villa and the sister's villa next door. Her parents are very sweet and unassuming and I like them. I wouldn't actually want to share a holiday villa for a whole week :noway: but it seems they have an unfair advantage. :o:o:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Louise: Welcome to the group. You will find lots of lovely support and motivation here! No rules, just dive in, tell everyone where you are from and a little about yourself , then feel free to share and vent when needed!

Heather: Your smoked salmon and aspargus supper sounds lovely!

Machka: The weight should drop away soon. Hope you are recovering nicely!

Lanette: Hope the hot weather spell breaks soon!

Penny: Love the photos. The ice looks good since we have been around 90°F for several days.

Sharon: Hope the injections help your ankle!

Lisa: the article was interesting!

KJ: Hope you feel better soon. As for the beauty of Switzerland, I agree with your daughter. When we first arrived almost 40 years ago, we lived on the Swiss side of the border. It felt like being in a perpetual postcard. I had never seen so many green meadows in summer.

Allie: the tidal marshes and ocean views sound amazing!

Janetr: Your ability to keep the weight off is inspirational. I hope I will be as committed!

Chris in MA: Congratulations on the loss!

Leigh in France