WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Felicia from the Willamette Valley: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! I grew up in Salem but haven't lived there since High School days. What part of the Willamette Valley are you from?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Thanks for the welcome, Katla. I'm originally from Eugene, but moved back to Oregon this past July after more than 30 years away. We live in Keizer now, but I work in Salem.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the new and returning ladies.

Heather - so sorry you have pulled something. Take care. Get better soon.

I am still battling my insurance, pharmacy, and doctor's office about my medication. I am out of the antidepressant I have taken for more than 20 years. I'm edgy and anxious (not like me at all). I have called and called, emailed, etc. all to no avail so far. Trying to take care of myself best I can.

More hubby drama, too. Doesn't help at all. Saw my counselor today and she helped me see that this is a process and I should make slow decisions, protect my assets, and be good to myself. I am considering consulting a lawyer about how his actions could impact me legally. But - that costs money and $$ is very tight right now (thanks to hubby). AHHHH! I feel like I'm on one of those giant spinning wheels you ride at the fair (or maybe on a tilt-a-whirl)!

Trying to make good food choices but it is hard right now! Thanks for listening.

Toni in Tennessee
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. I am trying to type with a kitten sitting right under my neck. So please excuse aything that doesn't look right. Plus she thinks my fingers are something to chase as I type. Last night Michelle put the vinyl nails in him. She does wo well with any animal. She jsut wraps him up in a towel like an enchilada and takes a paw out. They work really well and very soft on our skin. But today I found two of them on the living room floor. I guess I didn't have enough glue in them or the nails were clipped to short and there wasn't enough nail to adhere to. This morning when we woke up, the two cats were together and Melody decided to groom the little one. YES!!!!!! What I have been waiting on. But no, he didn't want to have anything to do with grooming. So she just put her paw on top of him and held him down and tried again to groom him. So they had quite the ear nipping and swatting match. Eventually they just parted company. Last night Michelle told me that since he is a medium hair cat that he will need a bath once a month. Yikes! So I tried that today. I have a small mixing bowl, put a very small drop of Dawn in it and warm water, had my towels ready and proceeded. At first he complained but eventually he let me bathe him. Rinsed him off with the spray and bundled the poor thing up. I soon found out that toweling him off was not going to work so I got the hair dryer out, low speed and warm. I know that our Shelty loved, loved, loved the blow dryer. When I finished I gave him a good brushing. Then Melody came in and decided to finish grooming. Again he let her for just a second then the swatting began. He did accept her grooming this evening though. Just for a little bit. So it is improving. I also used the water bottle on him for the first time tonight when he was doing something wrong and didn't respond to my no. Now that was a surprise to him and he ran to Charlie. We still don't have a night time routine for him yet. Charlie doesn't mind to have him on his bed (wow, where did that come from?) but he takes cat naps in the night also so he put him in the office and closed the door. They are using the same litter box and water bowl. He would eat Melody's food if I let him. So he has cut down eating his kitten food in exchange for her food. I have tried just having his food in the office but he jsut goes to Melody's food and Melody eats his food. But it has only been 5 days.

I wish I could say my over eating is just a closet eating but it is out in the wide, wide open. I have asked Charlie to call me out on it but he says it is my business what I eat. Right now I get extra exercise when I eat in my recliner because of fighting off the kitten.

Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Re closet eating. I've been there done that, wore the 2x tee-shirt to prove it. One sentence from the TOPS pledge that always stood out for me, "even though I overeat in private, my excess poundage is there for all the world to see." And it's been probably fifteen years since I've been to TOPS.

I can remember just waiting for my DH to go somewhere so that I could hit the cabinets. He would sometimes comment on my excess snacking, which annoyed me to no end. The food boundary that works best for me is no unplanned snacking. None, nada, zilch. I don't always keep my boundaries, but I do have them and a plan in place if I break them.

Luckily drinking has never been my problem. I'd much rather eat my calories.

TOPS took that particular phrase out of their pledge! Ruffled too many feathers I guess..
    Becca

I guess they took it out because not everyone overeats in private. For example, some people's problem is overeating while socializing. It would never occur to them to hide their eating. It really resonated with me, though. I can eat like a bird in front of other people, resist all the gooey desserts and fattening dips and drinks. Then go home and pig out on something that's not even good. We are all different. Someone mentioned eating in the car, for example. I very, very seldom eat in the car. It's just not my thing. It is good when we can identify and admit our problem area though. That's a really good first step in stopping it.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – Are nail caps for cats for ‘looks’ or so you don’t use nail polish which might be bad since it takes a while to dry, and cats are not known for their being still (unless they want to). Or to keep them from scratching you intentionally or accidentally or when ‘making biscuits’ on your chest? Cracker gets told to go ‘get in her bed’ and she does and usually stays there; but, as soon as she can she starts slowly sneaking out. I can say ‘eht, eht’ and she backs into it. She sleeps with her hanging over the side of the bed. I figure she does she because she wore a ‘cone of shame’ after they ‘fixed’ her.

BnL was a MP in Vietnam 4x – crazy @$$ Sum-o-beach! He has admitted to killing the enemy; but, he does not say any more than that. This was when the boys were much younger, like 10 and 12. That really did not sit well with me; but, he finally would caveat that with 'it was kill or be killed' ... enemy and you never knew if the kid laughing and taking candy during the day was the same you kid sneaking up behind you. Sleeps with his loaded service revolver within reach. When I found it hidden in my son’s clothes; I told Louis that he had 3 days to ‘get out’. We never had a loaded gun in our house; but, that’s changed since moving out here; but, well hidden. We practice with it once or twice a month. I have a very healthy respect for them; and, I don’t ever want to feel like I need a ‘carry permit’.

Janetr okc – Have you thought about attaching a ‘bell’ to the fridge or cabinet where snacks are? Pavlov Dog and all that? Maybe when it rang, it might jog you into thinking … 'Nah, this is not where I want to go'.

I gained a little today at 'weigh-in'; well, if I had gone to be weighed in before I ate, it would have been less than a pound, if maybe staying the same; but, had physical this AM, so they scheduled me at 2:00 – my meal did me in. I asked her if we could just go by Bill’s scale. But, even though I weighed a couple of pounds more than I did last time … I had lost 3lbs of fat and my fat% had gone down, my water % had gone up, and, my muscles numbers were also up. Gained a pound in muscle weight and % was up.

I pre-track the food I am ‘planning’ on eating and then adjust it if I deviate from it. Tux sharpens his claws on a horizontal telephone pole by the drive way, keeps them sharp for hunting; but, he has never drawn his claws with any of us; when he makes biscuits, he does it on his pads and not with his claws. About the only time he will scratch you is if he lays under the swing as we are swinging in it on the deck. He’ll grab at our ankles and turns over … it is a game to him. But, he will let go and get up when he realizes we aren’t playing.

Katla – I was on ‘poor baby’ because I was the youngest of 3 girls and they got to do things and I was not old enough; now that we are all in our late-60’s/early 70’s we have been going to the beach for a long weekend (5 days) and have a ball doing it. We go to the beach only ½ block away, play cards and this last year I got my 2 sister playing Mexican Train dominoes … we’d get pretty animated at it. Laughing, arguing about what we 'think' the rules are and sometimes making them as we go. Haven't been able to get the guys involved. Two of the like to play 8-1-8; so we do that for a couple of rounds. Oldest sister's hubby got pretty mad at Louis because of his bids. He was more agitated that we had seen him; might have been a precursor to his stroke, I don't know.

Heather – I can’t even stand on one leg to put the other leg on the side of the tub to snip my toenails without falling over. If I ever get stopped for erratic driving, they will just have to take me downtown because I certainly could not pass a ‘field sobriety test’.

It’s difficult when we can’t do what we used to do. When I was in my late 40’s I would sit on the edge of our vanity with my feet in the sink and put my make-up on. Now, I need glasses to see to put make-up on. Take them on and off and yesterday, I stuck the mascara wand into my eye! Talk about cussing like a sailor!!!!!

Kids are not putting the pool into service this year. I hate it; but, I understand it. But, I hate that I won't be able to get in it.

Lanette – Love the “Alone Time” … I feel the same way. This week, in particular (like the past 7 days) I have been so ‘irritable’ and CRS, at all! I think my medications are ‘whacked out’ and the only one who can really get them back working right is my PsycheMD (up in Macon); 2 hours away from home. I don’t know how to tell Louis how I am feeling without upsetting him a lot.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Toni in TN: Sending good thoughts your way. (((HUGS)))

Joyce: My sympathies are with Charlie on this one. He shouldn't have to be the one to call you out on your eating. It is his job to stay as healthy as he can and love you. The food is between you and you. I hope you are able to sort things out. You and Charlie both need to be as healthy as each of you can be. :flowerforyou:

Lenora: Congrats on losing 3 pounds of fat!!!! Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. WAHOO! (ps: Get your meds straightened out for your sake and Louis's, too.) :bigsmile:

I planted a row of bush beans last week and there is one sprout starting to show. I certainly hope for more. I plan to plant another row after the first is up. We shall see. My blueberry bushes are in full boom and I'm hoping for a good crop to freeze. I froze last year's crop and ate them with breakfast until I used them up, then bought a bag of frozen blueberries at the store. I'm hoping to do the same again this year and maybe my home grown berries will be more plentiful and last a bit longer.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

[
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Louise, welcome. The only guideline here is to be respectful and supportive. This is a wonderful group of women and we are happy to have you join us. Please do introduce yourself to help us get to know you and we ask that you sign each post with your name and a location, general or specific. Come often.

Heather, so sorry for you and any others that are experiencing pains to keep them from their daily activities. You are so right about getting old. How in the h%ll did this happen? I woke at 4:20 with my hip and shoulder hurting. It never let up enough to go back to sleep. Thankfully it’s better now. Hope you are feeling better too.

Rhonda, welcome or welcome back?

Mary, welcome home. Congrats on the great job you have done with your weight and your great workouts. You are definitely a roll model.

Mia, I hope the surgery went well and I’m sending you healing thoughts for a speedy recovery. (((Hugs)))

Lanette, great sign! I was concerned about that “togetherness” when I retired but we have worked it out well. DH has an office with his computer and I have mine in a small office in the bedroom. We go to our respective offices at different times of the day and that is pretty much the time to be left alone. If I go to my room and shut the door most of the way closed, it means I’d like alone time. We respect that for each other and it works well. If one of us wants to vac or something downstairs, the other can go upstairs to watch TV if that is what they are doing.

Felicia, welcome. Where is Willamette Valley? For some reason it sounds out West. Come often and join right in.

Janetr, LOL on your picture. Thanks for the giggle.

Joyce, *sigh* it is just so hard to eat right all the time. Mine isn’t in the closet either. I eat mostly good foods and my AC1 is still very good even though I have gained back over 15 pounds. I just like food and eat too much. I was craving French fries the other day and really wanted to go to McDonalds while I was out, but I did resist. I’ll try to think of you “calling me out” when I am eating more than I should and you can think of me “calling you out” since Charlie won’t do it. I know we feel so much better with less weight. We can do this. I just need to make myself exercise more.

Kay, at least you can eat like a bird in public. I can’t even do that. lol

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had my 6 month check up this morning. All my numbers from bloodwork were good. Everything but my weight. Then DH and I went to Costco to fill prescriptions and get gas. While we were out the guy came to power wash the house. He got one side done and his equipment broke. *go figure* He won’t be back until Monday when he’s getting new equipment.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of a carb burner DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith's Fat Burning Workout DVD.

Lenora - have you ever seen the play "Southern Fried Funeral"? Talk about the worst coming out in people. That play was really funny.

Heather - congrats on your loss!

Leigh - Awesome!!!

Lisa - I'm so sorry about your a/c. Glad you were able to get a window unit. How wonderful that you will be going to see Corey's dad! How can someone take only one child and leave the rest???? But in the end, Corey's dad did a wonderful job of raising him

Tuesday here - did an hour of Kathy Smith DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the deep water class. After exercise today went to Target to get more cat litter (hey, using coupons and everything, I got $9 two 35-lb containers. And we go thru a fair amount of litter!), then Aldi to get more grapes so I can freeze them. Saw that today was the last day for 1/2 price Hamburger and hot dog rolls, we'll need them for the bowling party Fri anyway, so might as well get them for 1/2 price!

Today is pretty cool, overcast. Vince talked yesterday about finishing up the riverrock and then trimming the bushes. Hope we get to that.

Don't know what it is, but it looks like in places I have a bunch of bug bites. It's not a rash, but it certainly itches. Wonder if epson salt would help take the itch away. Well, I think I'm going to use the whirlpool and use epson salt for my toe anyway and my one elbow is hurting a bit, so I figure it can't hurt and may be help. I've been using the hair dryer and this stuff called AfterBite. It really does work, but I won't use it any further than my neck. Around my face I don't use anything

Dana - neat pic of your father. My father was in WWII, he was a mechanic on airplanes, so these pics looked really neat to me.

Penny - as always, beautiful pics

janetr - Dancing right with you. I don't log my exercise, but if I go over a bit on the food (like your night grazing) , I know I have a "buffer"

KJ - get better fast. Hope you get to that cookout. In addition to what Allie said about the sandbox, I remember when the kids were little we had a sandbox with a cover. Vince put these bolts so that the cover stayed in place when there was wind.

Margaret - you're right, back then there was no Air Force. My father was in what was called the Army Air Corps.

Vince is going outside right now, getting the tractor, so I'd better go help him

We finished the riverrock today! Yea!!! We also trimmed about 3/4 of the bushes. In a way, I'm hoping that this isn't the time to trim and Vince killed the bushes that I don't like. Probably not, tho. I can't get that lucky

DJ - one day when we were moving things into storage, it was 102 degrees. I thought for sure we'd die (remember, I was from PA). But it really wasn't that bad at all mainly because there's very low humidity here. Vince always says that when he worked outside in PA, he'd have to cool off first and it was usually an hour. Down here he cools off in 20 minutes

Louise - welcome! The only guideline is to be kind to everyone, stay away from religion and politics, and enjoy everyone's company. That's the most important thing. Tell us about yourself

Dear Heather - feel better fast, hun

Rhonda - welcome back! You, too, Mary

Mia - glad to hear you're healing well. Keep it up, and stop in often

I admit, there are times when I will eat in the car and throw the evidence away. To be honest, it isn't all that often and I usually don't have much, maybe a donut or two (two too many, tho).

Felicia - welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your pain

Michele in NC
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Becca & Janet - so proud of you both for sharing your stories. Your words resonate with me also. Thank you.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    DJ - thanks! I'm glad to be back but now it's as if we never left! Congratulations on your check up! Too bad about the power washing.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Michele wrote - "janetr - Dancing right with you. I don't log my exercise, but if I go over a bit on the food (like your night grazing) , I know I have a "buffer".

I don't add in any calories for my exercise either so technically I do have that buffer. I suppose that is why I have pretty much been maintaining for over three years now. I just get very upset with myself and scared when I think I'm slipping back into old habits. Thanks for dancing with me. :)

Janetr okc
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lanette - love your message "my alone time is sometimes for your safety" I think I need that in poster size.

Totally blew my calorie limit today. When to Boston Pizza for supper with family and ordered the jambalya fettecini. Wow! one meal more than my intake for the day. Sure glad I had less for lunch and breakfast. Not going to be visiting that restaurant for a long while.

I bought the book "7-Day Flat-Belly Tea Cleanse." I am a tea drinker anyway, so thought I would try this. Will let you know how it works. Hopefully it will help me kick start my metabolism again.

Hugs everyone. Take care of yourselves.
    Paula Y
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    oh-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay, made it to page 57 this time. I was going to read more but then I realized what time it is.

Allie - No sense holding back. Give the lawyer everything you've got, he will make an informed decision as to what to use.

Kate - I think the shirt will bring a smile to many and you won't lose him in a crowd.

KJ - A gratitude journal should help with stress. I need to get back to journalling, it keeps me balanced. We can only change ourselves.
    I watched "Bad Moms" and thought it was hilarious. I saw it with 3 Moms who are going through it. The conversation after was also hilarious. "Light Between Oceans" - I cried when I read the book. I cried when I watched the movie.

Lenora - The age list was great. I may have to print it out.

Paula - the quilt is beautiful.

Margaret - 2 close calls is 2 too many. Glad you are okay.

Sarah - Wow! A 3hr. ride to start bike season!

Pip - Sorry to hear of your fall. I hope the recovery is quick.

Becca - MMMM....dumplings. I love them and they remind me of my childhood on the farm. DH thought he didn't like them until I made them for them. He thought they would be soggy.

Heather - The ankle is one of the many casualties of my accident 17 years ago. It was shattered out and has been rebuilt twice with plates, pins, screws, etc. Now there is severe osteoarthritis in my foot, ankle and up my leg halfway to my knee. Still waiting on the call for the injections. Fingers crossed that it brings enough relief to walk again.

Work is annoying. Working with the plants is relaxing. Listening to the birds makes me happy.
    Tomorrow is busy. Work, manicure, weight loss nurse, take one of the princesses to dance.

A lady at the grocery told me that next time I come I should bring my worker. It's a long story so I'll not tell it tonight. Suffice to say that she was rude and ignorant and I made some comments that I am not so proud to own.

DD did a belly painting on an expectant Mom of a watermelon for a photo shoot. I'll have to find a way to post on here. It made me smile. On Saturday she will be face painting at a demolition derby. It is always a good time and a great fund raiser for the Kinsmen.

Going to try float therapy on Saturday afternoon. Anyone here tried it?

Maybe I'll catch you all tomorrow

-Sharon in Lethbridge (day was hot and I have a bit of a burn)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    working 9-6 today..yesterday was just nuts.. only had a 15 min break all day, came home and went to bed.. up and at it again..