WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have gained a huge amount of weight in the past 10 days, since I had the surgery ... 4 kg in 10 days. In the old pound system, that's almost a pound a day!

I'm pretty sure this is just post-surgery water weight because I sure haven't eaten *that* much. But it is a little startling when I step on the scale.

Turns out I have post-surgery hyponatremia. I kind of suspected that's what it was.

I had hyponatremia in the middle of a 600 km bicycle ride a few years ago, and ended up being hauled off the road by my father who was doing support. So I had an idea what I might be going through.

Then yesterday it got really bad. I was so huge, I looked like I was about to give birth!! I was also in a lot of pain, especially in the area of my right kidney. So I decided to significantly reduce the amount I drink that evening and also to take a couple electrolyte tablets.

Shortly after taking the first electrolyte tablet, I started feeling a bit better ... not in as much distress. And about 2 hours after stopping my water consumption, my right kidney started feeling better.

This morning I went back to the surgeon (gyn onc) who saw me right away, told me it was likely hyponatremia, and sent me for blood work. Of course, by that time I had drunk approx. 250 ml in the previous 16 hours and had taken 2 electrolyte pills. I had also dropped about 1 kg. So I'm not sure that the blood work is going to show much ... I was already on the road to recovery.

I'm to keep up the not drinking thing and the electrolyte thing until I lose most of the weight. I'm dying of thirst! But I'm not dehydrated ... I must have had a lot of extra fluid built up because I'm still going to the toilet as often as I usually do.

So hopefully this will all settle shortly.

And ... meanwhile ... my father is in the hospital with heart problems. He had a heart attack two years ago and a stent was put in. The stent is completely blocked so they've got to go in and do something about that.

Fortunately, I had already made plans to fly to see my parents, so I will get to see him soon. But that was another reason I need to resolve this hyponatremia thing ... flying causes a person to retain fluid too, and the last thing I need right now is to retain even more fluid!

All of that, and I'm working on my final assignment for university and trying to wrap up some things at work!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Heather - you're usually in maintenance mode, or very close to it, and most folks here are still trying to lose a fair amount of weight, so they're shooting for a higher calorie deficit. They don't log their exercise calories so they're not tempted to eat them back, I figure. Just a thought. I get it - when MFP tells me I have 1900 instead of the 1500 I've set, it feels like permission to eat more. When I get to maintenance mode, I will, but for now.. no. Or at least I try to not do it.

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lisa - I have followed the MFP guidelines on exercise calories since I began. I logged faithfully every day. CICO. Even on holiday. I lost 57 lbs and I have not put them back on. Success speaks for itself. Why do MFP I'd you don't stick to the rules? Work it and it works. No excuses.
    My point is that most people FAIL because they try to stick to an unrealistically low calorie limit, then they can't stick to it, give up, or binge, or secretly eat. The very depressing figure for "dieting" prove that. No one can stick to a low calorie diet for long. And people need to feel successful. Constantly failing at your targets is very bad for us. What is much more realistic is a lifestyle change that involves healthy eating and more exercise. As evinced by the article you cited. The few successful people were always those who had significantly increased their exercise. And kept track of their eating. My argument is why suffer? Why not enjoy your eating? And why increase your chances of failing and giving up? It doesn't make any sense. This is for ever. And ever. And ever.
    Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lisa - I have followed the MFP guidelines on exercise calories since I began. I logged faithfully every day. CICO. Even on holiday. I lost 57 lbs and I have not put them back on. Success speaks for itself. Why do MFP I'd you don't stick to the rules? Work it and it works. No excuses.
    My point is that most people FAIL because they try to stick to an unrealistically low calorie limit, then they can't stick to it, give up, or binge, or secretly eat. The very depressing figure for "dieting" prove that. No one can stick to a low calorie diet for long. And people need to feel successful. Constantly failing at your targets is very bad for us. What is much more realistic is a lifestyle change that involves healthy eating and more exercise. As evinced by the article you cited. The few successful people were always those who had significantly increased their exercise. And kept track of their eating. My argument is why suffer? Why not enjoy your eating? And why increase your chances of failing and giving up? It doesn't make any sense. This is for ever. And ever. And ever.
    Heather UK xxxxxxx

+1!

I also lost my weight by following MFP to the letter, logging my exercise, and eating a portion of my exercise calories back in addition to the calories MFP gave me.

I've even been logging what little exercise I've been getting since my surgery ... got out there for a short, slow, 2 km walk 3 days after the surgery ... logged it. Exercise is a huge part of who I am, and why I've been slender most of my life. :)

Speaking of which, despite May's difficulties ... :)

2017 Monthly May
    Walking Distance (km): 84.3
    Walking Time (min): 1053.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 336.5
    Cycling Time (min): 1206.6
    Stairs Climbed Number: 78.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 62.4
    Other Distance: 5.8
    Other Time: 39.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 426.6
    Total Distance (miles): 265.1
    Total Time (min): 2361.8
    Total Time (hr): 39:21:47
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Heather - good points all... and point well taken on the MFP setup. You've known me for two years now, and I struggle with exactly what you pointed out. I was eating too few calories when I began, setting unrealistic goals, seeing great progress with weight loss for a short time, but then put most of it back on because I couldn't sustain that few calories as a lifestyle. When you're in the mode you call "losing those pesky two pounds," do you eat all your exercise calories and just not go over? Or go to a slight deficit? Work out more? Interested, because I've seen you be successful in that effort a number of times to put yourself back at your specific maintenance weight.

Regards,
    Lisa
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Car eating - I remember in the bad old days buying 6 oz of cheese and cramming it into my face. I had eaten it before I got to the next traffic lights. :o
    I can't understand why some of you are not logging your exercise calories. That would mean I was a failure at my eating every single day of my life. :o As it is, every day, more or less, is a success. :D Yesterday I was almost unable to move. Even getting to the bathroom was a torture. I overate by 512 calories. If it had been a normal day and I had done my 600 exercise it would have been a successful day. ;) It is very important to feel good about yourself. Feeling bad results in binge and secret eating. I could never stick to 1200 calories. :noway: I would FAIL all the time. My exercise regime saves me from constant failure. I succeed 90% of the time.
    Of course you have to DO the exercise! Or have a very active life, and faithfully log it.
    Today I managed the whole 600, but I had to adapt it to favour my pulled muscle. Some things I simply could not do, but I found plenty I could. It just took me a bit longer. I am much improved after a night's sleep. I normally spend an hour and forty minutes exercising every day. I listen to the BBC. I sometimes watch a bit of tv during my mat work as I do it in the space at the end of the bed and we have a tv in the bedroom. It is a lot of time, but I am retired and I am for ever grateful to my husband for getting me into the habit. <3 Truly life changing. Sometimes I think, "For " ÷×+=" sake, I am 67 years old, what other person do you know who is putting herself through this every day? Hardly any. A few wonderful ladies on here and one friend of mine. But I really value the health and strength it gives me, (apart from accidents!) And I LOVE to eat! And without guilt. :D
    As I was once someone who despised exercise and for long periods hated my body I am especially grateful. I hated to sweat. :laugh: I was severely compromised in my mobility. Out of breath. In constant pain.
    Counting your exercise calories is an incentive to earning more. And you are more successful. That is how MFP works. If you don't work it, it won't work. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Thank you.. this is so encouraging!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 28X10X35

May move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to mow my lawn today. That will be about 3 to 4 miles of walking.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Eating back exercise calories! I always log my exercise but I never eat back all of my exercise calories. When I am trying to lose weight I eat between 1200 and always under 1300 cal. The truth is the smaller you are the less you can eat. And I do not believe calories are equal as they say they are. If I eat carbs I have a hard time losing weight. If I eat fat the weight melts off of my body. Right now I will be starting maintenance and a slow recomposition. I will be doing it mostly eating high-fat low-carb keto diet. That is what helped me to lose 32 pounds in the last five months. I don't believe that I would have lost the 32 pounds if I ate CICO without limiting carbs. I really believe that if I continue to eat a keto diet that I am going to have to drastically increase and amount of calories I eat to keep my weight stable.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mary, I agree. I always log my exercise too, but don't eat back the calories as I'm trying to lose weight. Having had gastric bypass surgery I cannot eat a large amount of food at a time and therefore I believe causing the grazing effect.

None of us are of one mold. I think I'll be a bit more cautious with my sharing in future, feeling quite vulnerable at present.

Janetr okc
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. I'm still sick. This totally sucks. Go on a mini vacation and get sick! My cold has moved to my bronchial tubes and I coughed a lot last night. Dang!

My DD#1 gave me 3 rhizomes of deep purple iris. (Almost black) I can't wait to get outside to plant them.

Michelle I'm glad you liked my pictures of my dad!

It's going to take me a week to catch up on reading all the posts! So many and new peeps too! WELCOME!

Dana in Arkansas
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Feeling thoroughly berated. Rethinking sharing intimate concerns. We do not all fit into one mold. :(

Janetr okc

I think you may have miss interpreted what people are saying. We all love you! We do not all fit into one mold and science does not support all calories being equal. Everybody's body does work differently. And we have what is called homeostasis which tries to keep our bodies at an even keel. Metabolisms get messed up and need to be rebooted at times. What works for one person does not necessarily work for the other. All we can say is what worked for us. I really like Michelle's idea of putting a bell on the refrigerator as a reminder of do I really want to go there… I think I am going to do that with my snack cupboard door!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Feeling thoroughly berated. Rethinking sharing intimate concerns. We do not all fit into one mold. :(

Janetr okc

Do not feel bad! Everyone does have their own road to follow and there definitely is not a single mold to fit us all. I think everyone means well. One of the things I like about this group is the ability to share intimate concerns. Some people just have a more or less delicate way of expressing their different experiences.

MFP is the first place I have ever shared such explicit info about my weight. Even my DH has never known exactly how much I weigh and you should have seen the look on my GP's face when I answered his question about how much I weighed with "Far more than I should and I am not going to tell you how much!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Janet)))

(((Toni)))

I really think CICO is the way to go on maintaining and losing weight. There are a lot of us who just can't exercise due to physical problems. I am 68 and every time I try to exercise I hurt something and then have to stop. I used to love going to exercise classes and walking, but, I just can't do it any more. Some of you are very lucky that you don't have problems with knees, ankles, etc. I know that I am considered obese, but, my body shape is just like my grandmother's. Until I was in my early 60's I was able to keep my weight down but due to the problems I have, I am just trying not to gain any more (which I have done).

Just my two cents worth!

Carol in GA
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Mary, Leigh, sorry I tried to delete that before posting it. Thank you both.

Janetr okc
  • NancyLeach123
    NancyLeach123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can I join you here? Not new to MFP or dieting in general, I've always had a weight problem. I'm 59 (wait...what???), I've been "trying" to lose weight for 17 months...I've lost almost 10, then gain a couple, lose a half, gain another...I do workout with a trainer at the gym, I meet him once a week, wish I could meet with him more, but can't afford it. I try to usually go 4 times a week...haven't been at all this week:(. My holiday weekend apparently isn't over yet I guess. I've started writing down what I eat (just started last week)...I like my wine...a little too much. There...I said it...to complete strangers. No, I'm not a lush but I do think that's a reason I've not been losing weight. Obviously my determination takes a hit after a couple of glasses. It's just become a bad habit like every other bad habit.
    So...can I join you guys? My son is getting married in March and I don't want to be the Fat Mother of the Groom...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Janetr - I hope I didn't upset you! I was just trying to help people who try to be over rigid with their eating and then find they can't stick to it. No one can, we are all human. That's why 95% of diets fail! So any one who is struggling is in the 95% . <3
    As you know by now, my secret drinking was a real problem for me. I still haven't really told any one else about it, certainly not DH, though I have hinted at it to a friend who also drinks too much. But not the gory details. I think you have done brilliantly to keep the vast majority of your weight off after surgery. That puts you in the very small percentage of successes. :flowerforyou: Be very, very proud of yourself.
    Success, as you had last week, breeds success. Failure breeds failure and it gets harder to pull it round. I believe we should take the easy route to health, not the hard one!

Lisa - I do eat fewer carbs than most people, but I'm not on keto. I just prefer to spend my calories on tasty food, not fillers. When I have a couple of pesky extra pounds to lose I sometimes leave 100 - 150 on the plate. But not always. I'm still eating around 1700 though, so hardly starving! Like Mary I agree that the smaller you are the fewer calories you need. Very, very annoying and UNFAIR! :sad: I once watched a TV programme where a big, muscly guy sat on the sofa reading a paper and burnt off as many calories as his short, slim wife who was slogging it out at the gym for hours! :o:'( But that is still CICO. He weighed twice as much as she did. And it was all muscle.
    Other important things are your gut bacteria. Feed it rainbow food. Many coloured veggies and fruit. I know you hate veg, (a super taster <3 ) but another programme I watched said that stewed apple is great for gut bacteria. We have a different stewed fruit every day, sweetened with a tiny bit of Stevia. Would you like that? Gut bacteria seem to regulate blood sugar and fat absorbtion as well as keeping gut problems at bay, like bowel cancer etc. My normal plate is one third protein and two thirds non starchy veg. Luckily we both love veggies. But a lot of people who don't like veggies like stewed apples. :D

I'm off to Portsmouth tomorrow for a fishy lunch with wine under an umbrella with my friend.We always do a lot of walking so I will stop my morning exercising at 500 calories.

Went out in the car with DH. It's a bit quieter than the diesel and the display is different - otherwise it is the same. I haven't driven it yet. I'm a scaredy cat.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Heather, thanks. I WILL get this last bit off. Lol

Janetr okc