WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Louise, the main "rule" Leigh didn't mention is that we avoid inflammatory subjects such as politics. We disagree widely, but we agree to disagree and focus instead on all we can learn from each other. Stick around and you'll pick up a lot of wisdom!

You'll also start to recognize the players and our rhythms. So far, all the posts you see after yours come from the group's European contingent - that is, those of us who live in European time zones. Are you based in Europe too? The first response from the other side of the pond is likely to be from our early riser Allie. :laugh:

The interchange between Janetr, Barbie, and Heather hit me in just the right place. I'm starting to feel despondent about my back, which is still troubling me. I get dull aches toward the evening and they make me weary and irritable. The reduced opportunities for exercise are making it even harder than before to get a handle on the weight I've gained since January. I suspect the extra 5 kilos I'm lugging around exacerbate the back problem (not to mention making all my clothing tight and uncomfortable). You've inspired me to dig out my little supply of gold stars and start an accountability display on my fridge. :flowerforyou:

Have a great day everyone!

/Penny at the North Pole, who is delighted that it is now possible to use the color codes again!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Penny - OW! OW! OW! I have just this morning pulled a muscle in my side and I am reduced to lying in bed instead of going to yoga in my new car! :sad: I can only move really gingerly. It's agony! How ridiculous! I really hope it doesn't take as long to heal as your back injury. :'( I did it washing my feet (so they would look lovely for yoga ) in the washbasin. Pulled the left hip muscle. We are only a slip away from trouble!
    I know you are not keen on swimming, but could you steel yourself? You have such a beautiful pool nearby.
    My best yoga friend can't go either as she is going to the doctor with a bad chest and her husband with cystitis. Oooooohhhh! How did we get so old????? She said we old folk are draining the NHS ! :o I don't think a GP will be able to help me. I'll get the ice pack out and I've taken ibuprofen. Looks like I'll get a lot of German done today. ;)

Love again from gloomy Hampshire, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    fell asleep at 5 pm last night ,I was exsausted... took a nice bath before that..
    was wakened by our wacky next door neighbor.. she rolled into her driveway at 9:15 last night and sat in her car for an hour with music on full blast ... needless to say it woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep until she went in to the house at 10:30 ugggh..
    working 9:30 -6 today so long day..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Aw Heather, sorry to hear that! It's those careless moments when we forget our age that do us in. If I'd been thinking straight I would have bent my knees and lifted that darn snowmobile with a neutral back and a strong torso - and I'm sure you would have taken some precautions to align yourself to the washbasin if you'd been thinking straight. :confounded::wink: So yeah, we're old and we're wise, but not always as wise as we should be. The advantage of the thread is we can learn from each other's mistakes. (Sometimes.)

No, I don't like water. Back when I had a newborn I went swimming twice a week while my mother-in-law looked after her firstborn grandchild. Then 25 years later I did some water aerobics. But now I'm going far from our fantastic community pool. The only water I'll have available will be the fjord fed by the Barents Sea. Not for swimming! The nearest swimming pool will be 2 hours away, so I have a perfectly good excuse not to get wet. :laugh:

Instead, I'll take a leaf from Barbie's book and WALK until I feel I can jog again. Over the next month, I'll be spending a lot of time at our island paradise, where I always enjoy the feeling of freedom when I can walk as far as I want without worrying about polar bears.

:heart: /Penny at the North Pole, packing to head south
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening to our wide-flung group...

Heather - I really like the idea of stars, smileys, etc., and public display of same. I'm feeling inordinately proud of myself that I logged my food yesterday. One day! Still tussling with the incredibly annoying sense that, if I didn't log it, I didn't eat it. Reminds me of my least favorite sister-in-law who believed if it was liquid, it didn't have calories. The algebra of addiction always fascinates me, and punctures my ego regularly. I know I'm addicted to the way the actual act of eating makes me feel--and I have the tools to change, just haven't used them of late.

Off to the Girl Scout camp, Camp Mitre Peak, up in the mountains above Alpine, Texas, this morning, to take a bunch of pictures of facilities that need repair, revamp, etc.

Missing Kim from Northern California - anyone heard from her? So glad to see others come back that were here before... all accepted with open arms.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lisa - I messaged Kim a day or so ago, but haven't heard back yet.

My back/side still ÷×+= !!!!!!! :'(

Love from grumpy Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Leigh, thank you for your encouragement. I didn't do this until I was 64, I feel as if it's now or never. I have a couple of very over weight older sister's in very poor health and finally made the connection that I was headed in that exact same direction.

Janetr okc
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all, had a nice road trip to Washington DC to pay our respects at Arlington Cemetery, always profound, always.

Feeling out of sorts, probably too much sodium from restaurant foods, found it easy to stay away from gluten, but sodium is soooo ever present in take away food. Lunch is packed and will get me back on track. I am taking a mental heath day tomorrow to attend to this awful itchy rash, hoping to find answers, I am overwhelmed with the changes happening at work and feel a little breathless about my future. Could stress be a part of this, probably!

NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather, so sorry you have hurt your hip. I hope you heal quickly ((( hugs))). I'm off to Hobby Lobby this morning for Gold Stars and Frowning Faces. I can do this. I think my eating at night is mainly depression of not being closer to any of my family, etc. I just get that, as Katla put it so well, the " poor baby" syndrome.

Penny, the uncomfortable clothes was when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have no doubt you will take control of the situation.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lisa thank you, thank , thank you. This is my exact feeling that I could not put into words.

"I know I'm addicted to the way the actual act of eating makes me feel"

I'm working on replacing the feeling with the realization that I feel so much better physically, being able to get off of all medications I had been on for 10-12 years and not least of all going from a size 24 to a size 12 clothes. Oh yes, I can do this.

Janetr okc
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Louise ~ Welcome! My middle name is Louise after my Mother. When my mom passed last Christmas, my brothers had "Weezie" inscribed on her slab as that was what the grandchildren called her.

Carol in Ga
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Louise: Welcome to a great group! Guidelines are not listed anywhere, but they boil down to basic respect and courtesy. We talk about our lives and our families, and try to be courteous and accepting. We have women from all over the world but most of us are from English speaking countries. We work hard at encouraging one another to live healthy lives. Barbie posts a new thread for us at the beginning of each month. There will be a link at the bottom of this thread tomorrow night. :flowerforyou:

Penny: I am sorry that your back is bothering you. There are so many possible causes from over use injuries to arthritis, to poor posture. Your accountability display is a good idea & you might want to have a visit with your doctor if you have a good relationship. My basic self-talk is move more in ways that don't aggravate the back. I'm thinking of yoga, cycling, and walking as three good choices. Swimming works for some but I don't like to be cold and wet at the same time, so it is not a first choice for me until mid-summer. I think we have a similar pov regarding swimming. (((HUGS)))

DH & I went for a lovely walk/bike ride yesterday. I walked and he rode his trike. Today he is feeling the impact of the unusual exercise. I hope to get him out and moving again today, for a shorter stint. The gym was closed over the weekend & I need to stretch out and move more. I'm considering whether to go today. I've been a Monday, Wednesday, Friday yoga student, but I know they're now also having classes Tuesdays and Thursdays so I may go and give it a try today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just realized I didn't put my name below the previous post!

Rhonda in Tennessee
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by. Overcast again today. So depressing.......

Rita in NE CT
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Re closet eating. I've been there done that, wore the 2x tee-shirt to prove it. One sentence from the TOPS pledge that always stood out for me, "even though I overeat in private, my excess poundage is there for all the world to see." And it's been probably fifteen years since I've been to TOPS.

I can remember just waiting for my DH to go somewhere so that I could hit the cabinets. He would sometimes comment on my excess snacking, which annoyed me to no end. The food boundary that works best for me is no unplanned snacking. None, nada, zilch. I don't always keep my boundaries, but I do have them and a plan in place if I break them.

Luckily drinking has never been my problem. I'd much rather eat my calories.