c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So i'm trying to begin again. I started the program about 3 weeks ago. I completed week 1, but then never continued as I let life just get right in the way as usual. I talked myself out of it. I'm beginning again today. I hope there is someone else in the group just starting that I can be accountable with. If that's you, please add me. :smile:
  • vernacia
    vernacia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Where can I find the outline or guideline to begin this challenge?

Thank you
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    vernacia wrote: »
    Where can I find the outline or guideline to begin this challenge?

Thank you

@vernacia Most people are using the C25K Zen Labs app (it's a free app available on most phones)
  • WbrandonT
    WbrandonT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on week 8, day 2. I have never liked running and never thought I would be able to run 3 miles without stopping but it happened. It works.

My advice:
    - You will get discouraged but just push through. Don't give in to the urge to quit or to replace a run section with a walk. Don't be afraid to repeat a week just don't skip!
    - Shoes! Make sure you have GOOD running shoes - NOT just name brand but shoes that are designed for runners. Do your research on this! If you have or have had planters fasciitis I can give some great shoe recommendations. Replace your shoes every 4 months or sooner if you are running more. Your shoes may seem fine but the support erodes away. This is a huge pain and cost but it will save your feet. If you take care of the shoes you can resell on eBay (I know it's weird but ppl buy them...) Feet pain is what kept me from running for a long time...
    - Run with something that makes you visible. I have had to run at all hours b/c of my schedule (and my kids schedule). I run with a light up slap wrist thing on my arm and leg (just google search LED slap wrist). Very visible even during day light hours.
    - I also run while listening to audio books. I know, this sounds odd, but it keeps my mind off the pain and helps the time pass. I was running listening to Pandora but would get aggravated when a junk song started playing :)

If you need any other info or have any questions, let me know. I hope to start the next one (the 10k) app but it may take me forever to finish it! I can't imagine running that far!

Oh, and btw, started at 275, down to 235 so I am definitely not a "runner" build. If I can do it, you can do it! Running makes the weight melt off!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    WbrandonT wrote: »
    - You will get discouraged but just push through. Don't give in to the urge to quit or to replace a run section with a walk. Don't be afraid to repeat a week just don't skip!

^ This, with bells on. Honestly, the biggest battle is yourself. Your mind will continue to tell you to stop when physically you can keep going. Be prepared to keep telling your brain to *kitten* off.

I ended week 7 on a high by running both the warm up and the cool down - I thought I'd just try it. That run was me smashing through the mental barrier, and it felt so amazing to finally be in control of that!
  • kastephens11
    kastephens11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started it yesterday! I'm hoping I can stick through the whole program this time. Anyone can feel free to add me.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Oh crud. I just realized that I didn't do W1D2 today, I accidentally skipped to the W2 workout. It didn't kill me. What do you think - should I go back to W1 or continue with W2?
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Keep going @ck2d. I ended up skipping wk4 day 3 and only caught up end of week 5/early wk6 when I ran in a different place which was more hilly, it allowed me to explore the terrain a little.

Certainly week 1 is the one to skip as long as you're not the least fit person.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Keep going @ck2d. I ended up skipping wk4 day 3 and only caught up end of week 5/early wk6 when I ran in a different place which was more hilly, it allowed me to explore the terrain a little.

Certainly week 1 is the one to skip as long as you're not the least fit person.

Thanks - I think I'll give it a shot!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I did another 30 minute run as planned yesterday; I'm hoping it gets easier! I'm still shy of the 5k distance, but I walked until I hit the full distance. It took me about 49 minutes (including the distance/time walked during the 5 minute warm up). Not great but I'll take it! At least I know in theory that once I have the endurance to run the entire distance I should probably be under 45 minutes. I thought for sure it would take me an hour.

One more 30 minute run this week, and then I need to decide for sure how I want to proceed next week.

For those just starting, stick with it!
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    - Shoes! Make sure you have GOOD running shoes - NOT just name brand but shoes that are designed for runners. Do your research on this! If you have or have had planters fasciitis I can give some great shoe recommendations.

@WbrandonT

Can you give some shoe reccomendations? I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and am about due for new shoes. The pain seems to be getting better as I'm losing weight but they still really hurt after working out, even with fancy inserts. Thanks!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »
    - Shoes! Make sure you have GOOD running shoes - NOT just name brand but shoes that are designed for runners. Do your research on this! If you have or have had planters fasciitis I can give some great shoe recommendations.

@WbrandonT

Can you give some shoe reccomendations? I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and am about due for new shoes. The pain seems to be getting better as I'm losing weight but they still really hurt after working out, even with fancy inserts. Thanks!

@mebelfanti

Find a good running store Fleet feet is the gold standard. Get fitted. Shoes are like support undergarments they're highly personal and should be fitted by a professional.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Week 4 is not going so great, tbh. I've done days 1 and 2 and have only been able to do one of the four 5-minute intervals straight through.

I'm gonna do day 3 as well as I can, and if it doesn't go better, I'm gonna go back and do my Week 3.5 again.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Did you complete week 3 @thewindandthework? If so, don't go back to a week three run, just re-do week four.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, I completed Weeks 3 and 3.5.

The 3.5 I created is a little different than the ones I later realized other people have made, but pretty much the same thing. It's an intermediary week that's more challenging than 3 but less so than 4.

I was thinking if I get through W4D3 and can do one of the fives, I'll just repeat W4, nbd. If I can't do either, then I'll redo 3.5. Or maybe a Week Three And Three-Quarters, even.

Obviously I'm not married to doing things the way they're written, and I'm not in a hurry. I just want to make progress.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    I actually found going back to Week 3 really helpful when I was struggling with Week 4, which in turn put me in better form for Week 5 IMO. Starting Week 6 today yay!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I actually found going back to Week 3 really helpful when I was struggling with Week 4, which in turn put me in better form for Week 5 IMO. Starting Week 6 today yay!

Looking at my paper copy where I made notes. Week 3 is 9 minutes of running per day week 4 is 16. That's a pretty serious jump.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Ah, I see what you mean now. I thought by 3.5 you meant dropping down to either run 2 or run 3 in wk3. Serves me right for making assumptions...

The week 3-4 jump is indeed very big. Also week 6: day 2 is 2x 10 mins, day three is 20 mins without a break. But yes, the week 3-4 jump is also the first time you have to properly fight with your brain to keep going.

I think that's the good thing about C25K: It's not just about learning to run. It's about training your mind to adopt a can do attitude, and that is so very valuable (in all aspects of life).
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Today is my week 4, day 1. I'm so nervous!