c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    okay... yesterday I did W4D2! ACK! I'm very sore today, but a good sore. Today will be a rest day to give myself a chance relax. I will just get my 10,000 steps today by walking! W4D3 looks a little scary too, but I'm gonna do it on Friday! Since my scale is NOT moving in the direction that I want it to, I'm going to focus on fitness and see if that helps me!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    okay... yesterday I did W4D2! ACK! I'm very sore today, but a good sore. Today will be a rest day to give myself a chance relax. I will just get my 10,000 steps today by walking! W4D3 looks a little scary too, but I'm gonna do it on Friday! Since my scale is NOT moving in the direction that I want it to, I'm going to focus on fitness and see if that helps me!

The scale may not move much whilst you're increasing your running activity, you'll be retaining fluid when your muscles are sore, you'll probably notice this more so in weeks 4 & 5 when the running intervals significantly increase.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Did W4D3.
    Legs were no problem at all.
    I wasn't breathing deeply though, so my lungs were overworked for a little bit in the middle there until I concentrated on it and got it correct again.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Since my scale is NOT moving in the direction that I want it to, I'm going to focus on fitness and see if that helps me!

Are you tracking calories?
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all on your progress! Working towards a 5k is no easy task. I am working my way through this app, again.... hopefully my last time but I can only work on today. I finished week 3 yesterday and because I work the next three nights I won't run again until Tuesday. Because it is so hot I have been doing all of my runs on the treadmill so far. I have a beautiful park down the street from me with a 1.5 mile trail so I am looking forward to transitioning outside. Regardless of how far I go during the app time, I finish 3.1 miles by walking and get a big boost on my steps for the day.

I am going to sign up for two 5k runs this fall to celebrate this accomplishment which I think signing up for the runs will commit me to complete! Good luck on your next steps... be kind to yourselves and don't forget to stretch and foam roll!!! Your legs will thank you!!!
  • ck2d
    Options
    W5D1 done.
    Had a little glitch today - my phone died half way through. So I ran the whole way home. No idea what my times/figures were, but it was more than scheduled running, so I'm checking today off.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I'd love some advice.

I am on Week 3. D1 yesterday. I am doing OK, but I am worried about the future weeks as the runs get longer.

I live in a hilly area. Nice gentle rolling hills, but hills non the less. For the shorter time periods I have had so far I am able to make my runs happen on a flat or slight downhill. However as the runs get longer I will not be able to only run on flat or downhill. I am going to have to face some incline.

I do not have an option of a flat place to run, except it is flat where I drive to work. When it cools down I can run after work, but right now I cannot see getting out at 4 or 5 and trying to run in temps that real feel are over 100. I have no shower facilities so I cannot run at work before work. I do not have a treadmill available.

Any suggestions? I am plodding as it is and I am afraid of the incline's impact. Should I not be afraid? I have read advice to not try to start running on an incline.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    I am plodding as it is and I am afraid of the incline's impact.

I personally find downhills harder to maintain good form on; it's a lot easier to overstride. On an uphill, you're pretty much forced to take short steps and land with your midfoot or forefoot first.

With respect to the plodding, focus on picking your foot up, not on putting it down. You should be touching the ground as gently (and for as brief a time) as possible.

• rianneonamission
    Options
    @junodog1. First off, well done on getting to wk3 so far! Don't worry about hills. As @allyphoe says, the impact should be minimal if your technique is good. And remember you aren't yet running for 20+ mins, you're running short bursts, so running uphill for 2-3 mins at a time should be fine.

@ck2d Day 2 is going to feel so easy B)

@dfnewcombe, is running outdoors first thing in the morning an option, before it warms up?
  • fatprincess4now
    fatprincess4now Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done this before and now worki g on a better time. I am always looking for support especially from people who are running. Please feel free to add me. All my friends quit using mfp
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok finally finished W3D1. It wasn't that bad. I was able to run the first 3 min jog straight through. On the 2nd 3 min jog I kinda siked myself out. I keep stopping. It's funny how I gave myself permission to stop one time and then I couldn't stop giving myself that permission. I have to find some music to distract my mind. Looking forward to the run Wednesday.

OAN: How are you logging your c25k training? I'm not sure if I should put it under circuit training or just log it as a run. Suggestions?
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    cmon288 wrote: »
    Ok finally finished W3D1. It wasn't that bad. I was able to run the first 3 min jog straight through. On the 2nd 3 min jog I kinda siked myself out. I keep stopping. It's funny how I gave myself permission to stop one time and then I couldn't stop giving myself that permission. I have to find some music to distract my mind. Looking forward to the run Wednesday.

OAN: How are you logging your c25k training? I'm not sure if I should put it under circuit training or just log it as a run. Suggestions?

Ah, yes, the dreaded permission to stop. Don't ever be tempted because as you've found out, that's a killer! Trust me, I still have that battle now for the first half of a 5k run. Once I'm halfway the "I could do with a walk" changes to "oh, I'm halfway so I may as well run the rest", which feels like a massive achievement. Learning to run is easy. Learning to be in control of your mind is the real challenge.

You can link the Zenlabs C25K app to MFP (when you complete a run, tap the MFP icon when you get the pop up to share your completed run and allow access). Alternatively, run another app in the background. I personally run Strava which I have linked to MFP and allow to post automatically (it doesn't post the route so you're safe). But MapMyWalk/Run and other apps will connect too and upload the distance, speed and calorie burn.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    I have done this before and now worki g on a better time. I am always looking for support especially from people who are running. Please feel free to add me. All my friends quit using mfp

Are you starting from the start, or just focussing on the 5k distance and improving that?
  • junodog1
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »
    I am plodding as it is and I am afraid of the incline's impact.

I personally find downhills harder to maintain good form on; it's a lot easier to overstride. On an uphill, you're pretty much forced to take short steps and land with your midfoot or forefoot first.

With respect to the plodding, focus on picking your foot up, not on putting it down. You should be touching the ground as gently (and for as brief a time) as possible.

Thank you. I will look at some form videos and think about what I am doing with the big old size 11 womens feet I have. When I get a little stamina I will consider getting a form review at one of the local running shops.

@junodog1. First off, well done on getting to wk3 so far! Don't worry about hills. As @allyphoe says, the impact should be minimal if your technique is good. And remember you aren't yet running for 20+ mins, you're running short bursts, so running uphill for 2-3 mins at a time should be fine.

Thanks for the support.

• dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @rianneonamission soon I will switch to morning runs again. I am finding myself coming up with many excuses why I can't but none really seem to sound reasonable right now to post. I think I am having one of those mental moments.... we all know the hardest part of running is actually getting out the door. Right now I am more successful getting to the gym later in the day. You are absolutely right though- if I did get up and get going in the AM I would be able to get to the park and join the others for a beautiful run in the morning. I will try to get through week 4 and make that a goal for week 5. Week 4 may take more than 1 week though....
  • ck2d
    Options
    I think I have a different plan than all of you. My week 4 was alternating 3 and 5 minute runs. My week 5 is where it really ramps up and ends with a 20 minute run.
  • junodog1
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    I think I have a different plan than all of you. My week 4 was alternating 3 and 5 minute runs. My week 5 is where it really ramps up and ends with a 20 minute run.

I'm on the ZenLabs C25K app.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    dfnewcombe wrote: »
    @rianneonamission soon I will switch to morning runs again. I am finding myself coming up with many excuses why I can't but none really seem to sound reasonable right now to post. I think I am having one of those mental moments.... we all know the hardest part of running is actually getting out the door. Right now I am more successful getting to the gym later in the day. You are absolutely right though- if I did get up and get going in the AM I would be able to get to the park and join the others for a beautiful run in the morning. I will try to get through week 4 and make that a goal for week 5. Week 4 may take more than 1 week though....

You'd be surprised, come day three it will likely feel fine!

@ck2d Another ZenLabs user here, albeit a graduate. The jump to week 4 (total running time of 16 mins vs 9 mins the week before) I found quite a challenge, and then also day 3 of wk 5. However, the 20 mins was manageable (which is quite a feat, given I'm a sprinter).

• Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just finished Week 3. I'm feeling super proud, but terrified at the same time. This is so much more than I have ever ever done. The next few weeks seem to increase SO fast though. I'm so nervous about the upcoming runs/jogs. I don't run very fast though, so I don't know if that matters? I do a gentle jog. I figure I can increase speed once I get the endurance down. Is this the best way to do it? At this stage, I'm doing about 2.5 km in my session.

Yes, go slowly and get your legs/joints used to pounding they'll get, speed will come later.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    vernacia wrote: »
    Where can I find the outline or guideline to begin this challenge?

Thank you

There are lots of programmes for this, most people use an app for this, but here's an explanation from the NHS:
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx