c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you @sarahbethkline, it's great to hear from people who have successfully completed this and gone on to run further. Congratulations.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I did the 20min run last night and went ok.

I was on the treadmill so incline 1% thanks to people on here, 8km per hour for the jog and disturbed on the music playlist.
    5 mins, ok I got this
    10 mins - gods this is boring
    12 mins, is that stitch? deep breathes, no good it has gone
    15mins - boring, bored, am I done yet
    18mins - oh gods that is stitch - breath, just 2 mins left, just breath
    20mins - thank *kitten* for that!!

5 min cool down walk and a stretch and felt amazing!!
    it can be done!!
    I have never sweated as much though!!

this is pretty similar to the conversation I had with my legs during a half-marathon recently. The conversation doesn't change, the distance does though!!! You've got this.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2. I'm doing it more or less 3 times a week. Dreading the three minute periods on week three, but pretty sure I can handle it. I'm 58, been walking about 6 miles weekdays and karate lessons / practice 3 times a week with an occasional weight training day thrown in. I've never been a runner, in fact I always hated it, but I'm coming to like it now. I've signed myself up for a 5k in September, plenty of time to be ready. I think C25K is a great way to get running and I've only just started.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The 20 minute run was definitely "easier" than the intervals on either side of it.
  • Steve25k
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 today went quite well. I've been watching youtube videos about form so tried to run a bit more upright today with my hips more under my body and I pumped my arms which I'm sure actually made a difference.
    The outcome was that my left shin didn't hurt as much, I felt a bit lighter on my feet and I'm sure I was quicker - although it's hard to tell with all the run/walk that happens.

Day 2 on Friday is the last of the run/walk intervals, from then on it's running all the way which feels like a bit of a milestone.
  • Steve25k
    Options
    I've lost track a bit of who's at what stage so I thought I'd try and find out who's at what stage. I'll start:
    Steve25K : Week 6 Day 1 - 7th June
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I've lost track a bit of who's at what stage so I thought I'd try and find out who's at what stage. I'll start:
    rianneonamission: Week 6 Day 1 - 7th June

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    tinkerbellang83: Repeating Week 3 & 4 - Week 3 Day 1 6th June

• Don_WM_
    Options
    Starting Week 3 Day 1 June 7 or 8th

• motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today I'll be on W6D1
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Welp... I hit my intermediate goal 1.5 miles in 13:16... Not the best time I've had... but definitely felt better than I've felt in a few years(at that pace)

Time to pick back up at W6D1 Round 2.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm doing Week 5 day 3 if it doesn't kill me.... I can't imagine running for 20 minutes in a row... I'm trying to make a good playlist to distract me from how much I (still) hate running....
  • stanmann571
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm doing Week 5 day 3 if it doesn't kill me.... I can't imagine running for 20 minutes in a row... I'm trying to make a good playlist to distract me from how much I (still) hate running....

Just remember keep it slow. I found D2 harder... and I know others have shared the same...
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Today is Week 2 Day 2 for me!

I first tried W1D1 a couple months ago and couldn't complete the second minute of running, so I developed a plan to get me ready for Couch to 5K, which I called Bed to Couch. It worked great, and now I'm really doing it!

Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about what's coming up, but if I try a workout and prove to be unready for it, I'll repeat the previous workout without shame.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    oh let's get to 100 calories burned, and then kinda doing a mental check like you're not tired...let's get to 101 calories. Tedious I know lol, but gave me something else to focus on.
    When I'm on the treadmill I do this - lets just get to 5 minutes, well I'm nearly at 1k, now get to 10 minutes, well I can probably get to a mile now etc.

I also downloaded tunes from podrunner (not sure it's still available) - you're able to pick music that has a certain beats per minute (bpm) so you can match your stride to it.

Well done on Week 5 Day 1.

Oooh is that available on android? I am always trying to find the right BPM music on spotify and in all honesty it's a bit of a faff to find something I like.

@tinkerbellang83

Have you tried RockMyRun? I found a station called RAD that play older rock at 160 ish. I just use the free version so I get nagging every 10 minues or so and the songs are in a fixed order, but it's pretty decent.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Completed Week 7 yesterday! The first 25-minute run on Saturday was hard, very hard. Yesterday's run (day 3) was so much easier for some reason, even my son ran the whole time instead of the odd few seconds of power walking.

I'd have to say that yesterday's 25-minute was the easiest run yet of the whole program, including the 60-second ones of Week 1.

I am beginning to believe that I will be able to run 5k; it'll probably take me a lot longer than 30 minutes to start with as I only do about 1.75 miles in 25 minutes but I will get there eventually!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    oh let's get to 100 calories burned, and then kinda doing a mental check like you're not tired...let's get to 101 calories. Tedious I know lol, but gave me something else to focus on.
    When I'm on the treadmill I do this - lets just get to 5 minutes, well I'm nearly at 1k, now get to 10 minutes, well I can probably get to a mile now etc.

I also downloaded tunes from podrunner (not sure it's still available) - you're able to pick music that has a certain beats per minute (bpm) so you can match your stride to it.

Well done on Week 5 Day 1.

Oooh is that available on android? I am always trying to find the right BPM music on spotify and in all honesty it's a bit of a faff to find something I like.

@tinkerbellang83

Have you tried RockMyRun? I found a station called RAD that play older rock at 160 ish. I just use the free version so I get nagging every 10 minues or so and the songs are in a fixed order, but it's pretty decent.

Thanks I will look it up.
  • Don_WM_
    Options
    Sliedur wrote: »
    Starting Week 3 Day 1 June 7 or 8th
    I did week 3 day 1 yesterday and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Not that it was easy, but, yay, me! :smiley:
  • Belleghetti
    Belleghetti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had just started running and LOVING it, when I developed some health issues (nothing serious but it has hung up my sneakers for awhile). I have decided I am ready to give her a go again! I don't run fast! I don't run far! But I am a runner (a horrible horrible runner XD) darn it! I can't wait to get my sneakers on! Super Noobie away!