c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Sure it
    I just started week 2 yesterday. I've started C25K several times in the past but have never finished it. Usually by this time my feet/shins are killing me during the run sections and my breathing is labored, but so far so good! I've been doing a lot of boxing classes, and I think it's really helped improve my CV health.

For those just starting out, how far distance wise are y'all getting? Yesterday I was just shy of two miles by the end, which was further than I was getting during week 1. I'm assuming the distance will increase as the program starts to have you run more than you walk. I'm not too concerned with the distance (just want to run during all the times I'm supposed to!), but I was just thinking there was no way I'd hit a true 5k ever during the timeframe based on the distance I did in week1. But then that got me thinking even if I get to the point where I'm doing say a 15 minute mile I would still need 45 minutes minimum to reach a 5k...does the time length of the program increase? Right now it's just 30 minutes total (warm up, workout, cooldown); I'm using the Zenlabs app.

Coincidentally, my walking route is exactly 5k, so I just keep repeating the workout until I'm home while tracking time on a stopwatch. It took me 46m15s to do it Wednesday on week 2 day 1, vs 61m walking or 47-48m on week 1.

Edit: I also skip the "cooldown" at the end of the first workout and go straight to "warmup" of the 2nd so I'm getting a break in between, but not a full 10m. I'm not even sure 5m is necessary at this point but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

I'd suggest instead of repeating the intervals, to just increase the duration of your "warm-up and cool down.

Um, it doesn't work like that.

UH sure it does. walk 5 minutes... start zenlabs... do exactly one workout... walk it off.

By doing 2 workouts or more, you're no longer doing C25K.

What you're suggesting wouldn't be doing C25K either. And what you're suggesting would INCREASE my time, not reduce it as it has been as I'm using it. The program as it's designed is based on timed intervals, not distance. Why would I mess with something that is improving my workout every time I progress?

Actually it would still be C25K. because it's increasing recovery. And recovery, not work cycles are what improve performance.

Why can I not do two workouts if I feel like it? Where did I suggest I was struggling at all performance wise? More importantly, where did I ask for advice? I stated what I'm doing. Didn't tell anyone else they should do it. When my time stops improving, your input might be useful.

Because we're talking about C25K.

It's still C25K if you do it at the beginning, middle, or end of an hour long brisk walk.

It's not C25K if you don't take a full day of rest between sessions. Your advice will be confusing to those who are starting off. especially since taking a rest day between runs is fundamental to C25K.

It's going to make no difference if I do it twice in one day and then take a rest the next day. I'm not skipping to the next day's workout on the same day. I'm doing the same workout. I'm also using it to progress in a way that I'm comfortable, which is what the app advises. It's a tool. I can use it as I like. So can anyone else.

DOWHATCHALIKE, but there's a reason it's only a 20 minute work period. You'll appreciate the extra rest when you get to week 4 or 5.

If your goal is to get to and from work faster, try a bike or a car.

If your goal is to get to the point where you can run a 5k. C25K is going to give you better results with a lower chance of injury than what you're doing.

How is my way increasing my chance of injury?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Sure it
    I just started week 2 yesterday. I've started C25K several times in the past but have never finished it. Usually by this time my feet/shins are killing me during the run sections and my breathing is labored, but so far so good! I've been doing a lot of boxing classes, and I think it's really helped improve my CV health.

For those just starting out, how far distance wise are y'all getting? Yesterday I was just shy of two miles by the end, which was further than I was getting during week 1. I'm assuming the distance will increase as the program starts to have you run more than you walk. I'm not too concerned with the distance (just want to run during all the times I'm supposed to!), but I was just thinking there was no way I'd hit a true 5k ever during the timeframe based on the distance I did in week1. But then that got me thinking even if I get to the point where I'm doing say a 15 minute mile I would still need 45 minutes minimum to reach a 5k...does the time length of the program increase? Right now it's just 30 minutes total (warm up, workout, cooldown); I'm using the Zenlabs app.

Coincidentally, my walking route is exactly 5k, so I just keep repeating the workout until I'm home while tracking time on a stopwatch. It took me 46m15s to do it Wednesday on week 2 day 1, vs 61m walking or 47-48m on week 1.

Edit: I also skip the "cooldown" at the end of the first workout and go straight to "warmup" of the 2nd so I'm getting a break in between, but not a full 10m. I'm not even sure 5m is necessary at this point but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

I'd suggest instead of repeating the intervals, to just increase the duration of your "warm-up and cool down.

UH sure it does. walk 5 minutes... start zenlabs... do exactly one workout... walk it off.

What you're suggesting wouldn't be doing C25K either. And what you're suggesting would INCREASE my time, not reduce it as it has been as I'm using it. The program as it's designed is based on timed intervals, not distance. Why would I mess with something that is improving my workout every time I progress?

Actually it would still be C25K. because it's increasing recovery. And recovery, not work cycles are what improve performance.

Why can I not do two workouts if I feel like it? Where did I suggest I was struggling at all performance wise? More importantly, where did I ask for advice? I stated what I'm doing. Didn't tell anyone else they should do it. When my time stops improving, your input might be useful.

It's still C25K if you do it at the beginning, middle, or end of an hour long brisk walk.

It's not C25K if you don't take a full day of rest between sessions. Your advice will be confusing to those who are starting off. especially since taking a rest day between runs is fundamental to C25K.

It's going to make no difference if I do it twice in one day and then take a rest the next day. I'm not skipping to the next day's workout on the same day. I'm doing the same workout. I'm also using it to progress in a way that I'm comfortable, which is what the app advises. It's a tool. I can use it as I like. So can anyone else.

DOWHATCHALIKE, but there's a reason it's only a 20 minute work period. You'll appreciate the extra rest when you get to week 4 or 5.

If your goal is to get to the point where you can run a 5k. C25K is going to give you better results with a lower chance of injury than what you're doing.

Because your work period is longer than the 20 minutes recommended... in fact, if I'm reading correctly, its closer to 30 minutes..

You're increasing the stress on your body faster than is recommended, which increases your chance of injury.

C25K week 1 8 minutes running out of 20
    You... week 1 15 minutes running out of 36
    C25K week 2 10 minutes running out of 20
    You... week 2 16 minutes out of 36
    C25K week 3 9 minutes running out of 18
    You week 3(estimated) 18 minutes out of 34.

You're running twice as much.. or more than C25K... At the beginning, the more you run, the more likely you are to develop an injury, ankle, shin, knee, hip, etc.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sure it

Because your work period is longer than the 20 minutes recommended... in fact, if I'm reading correctly, its closer to 30 minutes..

You're increasing the stress on your body faster than is recommended, which increases your chance of injury.

You're running twice as much.. or more than C25K... At the beginning, the more you run, the more likely you are to develop an injury, ankle, shin, knee, hip, etc.

You're making assumptions about my fitness level. You've also made assumptions about what I plan to do in future weeks. I'm not planning to progress any faster than the app suggests. I'm listening to my body.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

You're making assumptions about my fitness level. You've also made assumptions about what I plan to do in future weeks. I'm not planning to progress any faster than the app suggests. I'm listening to my body.

You stated you're on week 2.. You stated that you're restarting the workout as soon as you finish the previous.

I made no assumptions whatsoever. I extrapolated based on your assertions, and I recommended that you follow the program as prescribed vs aggressively modifying it.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten to the point where they don't hate running anymore? I'm on week 2... still waiting to not hate every second of the running parts (and I love walking/hiking)...

Yes! I can't wait for my next running day now. It does require good music, though. I'm now on to the 10k training doing 4 miles averaging around 11:30 per mile. It did take me pretty much all the way through the 5k training before I stopped hating it, though. And, it has to be outside to be fun to me.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until my next running day, but then once it arrives I don't want to lol. It's completely a mental thing for me; I literally have a conversation in my head the entire duration of "you got this, it's only 30 minutes, you're not tired, etc." I can't wait for the day to come where I can't wait to run, and I don't have to have this internal struggle but I just know that yes I can do this!
  • pkeiter42
    pkeiter42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've started the program and made it through the first 4 weeks. Have my first 5k Sunday.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Finished week 2 yesterday, and despite it being the third time doing the same workout it seemed harder. That makes me nervous for my first week 3 workout tomorrow. I totally shouldn't have looked ahead lol, seeing a 3 minute run seems like a long time. But I know I have run for at least that long continuously in boxing class not too long ago, so I know I can do it....just need to stop psyching myself out!

GL on your 5k! @pkeiter42
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Only one more day in week 3 to go, and so far so good!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I finally finished wk 3 today. Was meant to do it at the weekend but life got in the way. Absolutely flew through it today. Intending to start wk 4 on Wednesday and am dreading it. I think I am going to have to slow down my run speed significantly to cope with the 3 and 5 min runs and shorter walking breaks.
  • NYNikilish
    NYNikilish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is C25K?

Couch 2 5k. It's a running app available on iTunes
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I finally finished wk 3 today. Was meant to do it at the weekend but life got in the way. Absolutely flew through it today. Intending to start wk 4 on Wednesday and am dreading it. I think I am going to have to slow down my run speed significantly to cope with the 3 and 5 min runs and shorter walking breaks.

I was scared too - don't be scared! :)
    I found the transition to 3mins to be the hardest and that was only for the 1st of week 3. The 5 min run (with the right music) showed me that I have a rhythm and I am getting into it faster. The 5 min interval really did fly by. Can't wait to do the second one tomorrow!

Loving this app!

Have fun with week 4!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

The five-minute runs are okay. I was dreading them as well but they weren't as bad as I thought. I did W5D2 today - two 8-minute runs interspaced with 5-minute walks. It was tough, but we got through it.

My next C25K workout is a 20-minute run. I have no idea if this is even possible . . .
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I was scared too - don't be scared! :)
    I found the transition to 3mins to be the hardest and that was only for the 1st of week 3. The 5 min run (with the right music) showed me that I have a rhythm and I am getting into it faster. The 5 min interval really did fly by. Can't wait to do the second one tomorrow!
    The five-minute runs are okay. I was dreading them as well but they weren't as bad as I thought. I did W5D2 today - two 8-minute runs interspaced with 5-minute walks. It was tough, but we got through it.

Thank you both, that is encouraging to hear!
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    so about 4 months ago I struggled to even run for 5 minutes. fast-forward and everyday last week I ran a solid 30 - 40 mins.

for those starting out, don't concern yourself with distance as it really doesn't matter and don't be afraid to repeat days. Go slowly ( I started at around 4.6 mph) and even now run at around 5 mph....even that may be to fast for some.

for those running on a treadmill, make sure you set the incline to 2% to mimic a flat surface (your knees will thank you for it). also, don't forget long deeps breaths; in through nose hold and then out through mouth (don't pant).

stick with it and have fun
  • stanmann571
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »
    for those running on a treadmill, make sure you set the incline to 2% to mimic a flat surface (your knees will thank you for it). also, don't forget long deeps breaths; in through nose hold and then out through mouth (don't pant).

nose in mouth out breathing and diaphragmatic breathing are so important to being comfortable running.

It's the equivalent of making sure you eat back some of your exercise calories.

• beerfoamy
    Options

nose in mouth out breathing and diaphragmatic breathing are so important to being comfortable running.

see, I can't do that. I never feel like I am getting enough breath through my nose and that I'll die after 2 or 3 attempts at breathing like that. Don't have a blocked nose or owt either. :/
  • stanmann571
    Options

see, I can't do that. I never feel like I am getting enough breath through my nose and that I'll die after 2 or 3 attempts at breathing like that. Don't have a blocked nose or owt either. :/

you can't do it... when you're running? or when you're sitting on the couch?

When you breath, does your chest or belly rise?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't often breathe through my nose when running...

There's nothing wrong with using the massive hole in the middle of your face, that's what it's there for.
  • beerfoamy
    Options

you can't do it... when you're running? or when you're sitting on the couch?

When you breath, does your chest or belly rise?

either really - I get a few more breaths in when on the couch before I feel 'no air! no air!'

*does a few at desk*
    both chest and belly rise :/

lol
    but yeah, mouth is good, singing sorts it