c25k - newbie runners

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've been consistently covering just over two miles. Anything from 2.01 to 2.07 so far. Mind you, it's only week 2...
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would love to try this. I think I may start tomorrow morning. A year ago at this time I could barley walk. I can jog now for about 3-4 minutes at a time (once in my 30 minute walk), so I think I'm ready to try. My only challenge is... sigh... I have very large breasts. They hurt when I jog a lot. I need to find a good bra to keep things in check more I think. And I think I need to get properly fitted for good shoes so my feet don't get sore.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @rianneonamission of course I realize it's only week 2! I was just curious if the "workout" part of each session got longer as you progress, since it's only 20 minutes long right now. At this point in time I could care less about reaching a true 5k, my focus is on running when it says to for the whole duration.

lol I'm trying not to look ahead to not overwhelm myself by how long I have to run consecutively in the coming weeks. Don't wanna psych myself out so guess I'll find out towards the end of the program...and just keep plodding alone.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I meant it's only my week 2. Strangely enough though I did 2.15 miles today! Quite chuffed, I thought I was running rather slowly.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I just started week 2 yesterday. I've started C25K several times in the past but have never finished it. Usually by this time my feet/shins are killing me during the run sections and my breathing is labored, but so far so good! I've been doing a lot of boxing classes, and I think it's really helped improve my CV health.

For those just starting out, how far distance wise are y'all getting? Yesterday I was just shy of two miles by the end, which was further than I was getting during week 1. I'm assuming the distance will increase as the program starts to have you run more than you walk. I'm not too concerned with the distance (just want to run during all the times I'm supposed to!), but I was just thinking there was no way I'd hit a true 5k ever during the timeframe based on the distance I did in week1. But then that got me thinking even if I get to the point where I'm doing say a 15 minute mile I would still need 45 minutes minimum to reach a 5k...does the time length of the program increase? Right now it's just 30 minutes total (warm up, workout, cooldown); I'm using the Zenlabs app.

To be honest the name of the app is a bit misleading. It gets you to the point of running continuously for 30 minutes (or it might be 33). That DOESN'T mean you'll necessarily hit 5k in that time. In fact I doubt many people finish the programme and reach 5k. But don't let that discourage you - once you get to the point where you can run continuously for 30 minutes, it's actually pretty easy to build on that a minute at a time -so continue the programme but adding a minute or two a week - so run 32 minutes, then 34 etc.

I started the programme a year or so ago, and still probably can't run a 5k in less than 33 minutes. I do however regularly run 10k's as part of my weekly training and have just completed my first Half Marathon.

Keep going - you are all doing great!

(ps. if your breathing is laboured then you should slow down during the run bits)
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks @girlinahat , so it sounds like eventually the running segment will get to 30 minutes in total.

Oh yea labored breathing was definitely an issue when I've tried to do the C25K program before, but so far so good. I think this is the slowest pace (4 mph) that I've ever tried this program at. Yes I feel like I could go faster, but I seriously want to finish the program this time, so I'm taking everyone's go slow advice to heart!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just started week 2 yesterday. I've started C25K several times in the past but have never finished it. Usually by this time my feet/shins are killing me during the run sections and my breathing is labored, but so far so good! I've been doing a lot of boxing classes, and I think it's really helped improve my CV health.

For those just starting out, how far distance wise are y'all getting? Yesterday I was just shy of two miles by the end, which was further than I was getting during week 1. I'm assuming the distance will increase as the program starts to have you run more than you walk. I'm not too concerned with the distance (just want to run during all the times I'm supposed to!), but I was just thinking there was no way I'd hit a true 5k ever during the timeframe based on the distance I did in week1. But then that got me thinking even if I get to the point where I'm doing say a 15 minute mile I would still need 45 minutes minimum to reach a 5k...does the time length of the program increase? Right now it's just 30 minutes total (warm up, workout, cooldown); I'm using the Zenlabs app.

Coincidentally, my walking route is exactly 5k, so I just keep repeating the workout until I'm home while tracking time on a stopwatch. It took me 46m15s to do it Wednesday on week 2 day 1, vs 61m walking or 47-48m on week 1.

Edit: I also skip the "cooldown" at the end of the first workout and go straight to "warmup" of the 2nd so I'm getting a break in between, but not a full 10m. I'm not even sure 5m is necessary at this point but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Coincidentally, my walking route is exactly 5k, so I just keep repeating the workout until I'm home while tracking time on a stopwatch. It took me 46m15s to do it Wednesday on week 2 day 1, vs 61m walking or 47-48m on week 1.

Edit: I also skip the "cooldown" at the end of the first workout and go straight to "warmup" of the 2nd so I'm getting a break in between, but not a full 10m. I'm not even sure 5m is necessary at this point but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

I'd suggest instead of repeating the intervals, to just increase the duration of your "warm-up and cool down.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

I'd suggest instead of repeating the intervals, to just increase the duration of your "warm-up and cool down.

Um, it doesn't work like that.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

UH sure it does. walk 5 minutes... start zenlabs... do exactly one workout... walk it off.

By doing 2 workouts or more, you're no longer doing C25K.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sure it

UH sure it does. walk 5 minutes... start zenlabs... do exactly one workout... walk it off.

that post confused me... but yes, if you're doing 2 sessions in one run, its not C25K.

if you're able to do more that one sessions allotment of running, skip a week till you're running for longer periods per interval.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sure it

What you're suggesting wouldn't be doing C25K either. And what you're suggesting would INCREASE my time, not reduce it as it has been as I'm using it. The program as it's designed is based on timed intervals, not distance. Why would I mess with something that is improving my workout every time I progress?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

that post confused me... but yes, if you're doing 2 sessions in one run, its not C25K.

if you're able to do more that one sessions allotment of running, skip a week till you're running for longer periods per interval.

This was what I was responding to

This isn't C25K. It's better to have a longer "brisk walk" warmup and cooldown... or maybe skip forward a week.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

What you're suggesting wouldn't be doing C25K either. And what you're suggesting would INCREASE my time, not reduce it as it has been as I'm using it. The program as it's designed is based on timed intervals, not distance. Why would I mess with something that is improving my workout every time I progress?

Actually it would still be C25K. because it's increasing recovery. And recovery, not work cycles are what improve performance.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Sure it

Actually it would still be C25K. because it's increasing recovery. And recovery, not work cycles are what improve performance.

Why can I not do two workouts if I feel like it? Where did I suggest I was struggling at all performance wise? More importantly, where did I ask for advice? I stated what I'm doing. Didn't tell anyone else they should do it. When my time stops improving, your input might be useful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sure it

This was what I was responding to

This isn't C25K. It's better to have a longer "brisk walk" warmup and cooldown... or maybe skip forward a week.

I do the warmup and cooldown at the beginning and the end.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

Why can I not do two workouts if I feel like it? Where did I suggest I was struggling at all performance wise? More importantly, where did I ask for advice? I stated what I'm doing. Didn't tell anyone else they should do it. When my time stops improving, your input might be useful.

Because we're talking about C25K.

It's still C25K if you do it at the beginning, middle, or end of an hour long brisk walk.

It's not C25K if you don't take a full day of rest between sessions. Your advice will be confusing to those who are starting off. especially since taking a rest day between runs is fundamental to C25K.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Sure it

It's still C25K if you do it at the beginning, middle, or end of an hour long brisk walk.

It's not C25K if you don't take a full day of rest between sessions. Your advice will be confusing to those who are starting off. especially since taking a rest day between runs is fundamental to C25K.

It's going to make no difference if I do it twice in one day and then take a rest the next day. I'm not skipping to the next day's workout on the same day. I'm doing the same workout. I'm also using it to progress in a way that I'm comfortable, which is what the app advises. It's a tool. I can use it as I like. So can anyone else.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Sure it

It's going to make no difference if I do it twice in one day and then take a rest the next day. I'm not skipping to the next day's workout on the same day. I'm doing the same workout. I'm also using it to progress in a way that I'm comfortable, which is what the app advises. It's a tool. I can use it as I like. So can anyone else.

DOWHATCHALIKE, but there's a reason it's only a 20 minute work period. You'll appreciate the extra rest when you get to week 4 or 5.

If your goal is to get to and from work faster, try a bike or a car.

If your goal is to get to the point where you can run a 5k. C25K is going to give you better results with a lower chance of injury than what you're doing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Hola folks, for those who are interested I set up a group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120724-c25k-couch-to-5km-2017-app-users