June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Question on carb loading, sine I'll be shopping this week and I thought if it. I know that you're supposed to start carb loading early, but how early? I've read a bunch of articles on the amount of carbs to eat (like 3.6 to 5.5g per pound of body weight, right?) but some have you start carb loading strarting 5 or so days out, and others just mention the 2 days before the race. How do you do it?

Last annoying question, do you work about macro ratios? Do I eat all those carbs in proportion to the other macros, or is it just try to get the carbs and not worry about the others? Currently set for (50%C, 30%F, 20%P)

Sorry and thanks all taper begins Monday!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm super nervous about tomorrow. I have all sorts of worries.

I know I can run the distance, I've done it a million times before. That's not my worry. Since this is my first race I worry about lots of logistical stuff, like what if I don't know which way to turn on the course, or even worse, what if I have to go to the bathroom during the race. My stomach has been cranky for the past few days so I'm particularly concerned about that. I've been making sure to eat bland, familiar stuff today to minimize any gastric problems.

Does anyone have any newbie race tips for me? I know my pace, so I'm pretty sure I'll be lining up near the back. Do they generally mark the race course pretty clearly? Is it tough to run along so many other people? should I bring my own TP? :smile:

I keep thinking to myself, I'm just going for a run. A run in a new place, with some other people. All I have to do is run. But I'm a worrier.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty as far as course markings, it depends on the race. I've been in some that are amazing and some that are just OK. That said, I never had a worry about getting lost. Go your own pace! I made the mistake of running my first 10k too fast and had to take some walking breaks I shouldn't have needed.

Running with other people is a blessing and curse. It's great to have other people, the energy you get from running with a big crowd is amazing. OTOH, you have to be careful not to let the other runners pull you along faster than you are able to maintain for the distance.

TP??? on a 10K??? If you're out long enough for that I'd be surprised :) I haven't seen any porto-potties along the courses of races I've been on that were shorter than HM distance.... so if you NEED to go........
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Let me start by saying this response is based on personal experience only. I will defer to @Stoshew71 and others more knowledgeable on the subject to give you the scientific ins and outs, but this may at least give you a little food for thought (pun intended!) based on my real life experience.

I personally, slowly ramp my carbs up starting about 3 weeks out. The reason I do this is because, by virtue of being gluten free for other health reasons, I tend to not eat very many carbs in my regular diet. The sudden onslaught of carbs can wreak havoc on my digestive system, so for me this is the way I need to do it. By the time I hit the final week of my taper, I am probably close to a "normal" amount of carbs.

Secondly, yes I alter my other macros down. The reason is that by eating all of those extra carbs, my calorie consumption is already going up. If I tried to proportionally up my other macros, I would be eating way too much food to the point where I would be making myself sick. In the final days, I am actually probably eating way less fat and protein than normal, simply because I need to make room for the carbs in my diet.

Lastly, I try to drink a lot of my carbs in the form of fruit juices and sports drinks, especially in the days immediately prior to my race. I have read that this helps your body to hold on to the glycogen and it also ensures that I am well hydrated. There is probably some literature out there about when is the best time to eat the different types of carbs, but I am not knowledgeable on that subject. Again, waiting for somebody more educated on the subject to pop in with a better answer, but this is the approach that has always worked best for me. Hope it helps.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty You're in the US, right? Don't bring your own tp. Relax.

There are lots of runners and there will be plenty for you to tuck right in with and follow the crowd.

There's always been plenty of volunteers to point me in the right direction.

My newbie tips are:
    1. Stage in the front half of the pack. You think you belong in the back. But I'll tell you, you don't. There are more slowwwww, oh so frustratingly slooowwww runners than you think. You'll spend all your time weaving around them.
    2. Let them pass you the first half of the race. The last half you'll be passing them. People tend to go out too fast. Let them. Hold to your pace.
    3. Stay with a group (comradarie and safety). Chat. Make friends. Laugh. High five other runners and spectators.
    4. Plan your fuel times. Don't over do it. Hydrate early.
    5. Chances are your race pace will supprise you. Say you typically run a 10min mile, race pace may be 8-9. Run the first half at your normal pace. Half way pick it up, and take them legs off thier leashes when you see that finish line!
    6. Anti-chaffe balm. Good socks. More anti-chaffe balm.
    7. Have a blast.

If you have tummy troubles, might have some Pepto.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @lporter229
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - It's normal to be nervous before a race, even after you have done hundreds of them. Try to relax though. You will do great.

They will have porta potties at the start and probably some on the course, but I always take my own TP just in case they are out. I always get in line to go prior to the start even if I don't have to because I know if I don't I will be standing there waiting for the gun and it will hit me. Try to eat your breakfast early enough that your stomach has time to settle in and you have time to use the bathroom if you need to. Also try to avoid drinking too much right before the race so you won't need to pee.

I remember before my first marathon, I had a dream that I got lost on the course (I was also carrying a pan of lasagna in my dream, but that's probably another story) . It has never been an issue. There will likely be plenty of other runners around you and there are typically volunteers directing you where to go.

Good luck tomorrow. We can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I know I can run the distance, I've done it a million times before. That's not my worry. Since this is my first race I worry about lots of logistical stuff, like what if I don't know which way to turn on the course, or even worse, what if I have to go to the bathroom during the race. My stomach has been cranky for the past few days so I'm particularly concerned about that. I've been making sure to eat bland, familiar stuff today to minimize any gastric problems.

Does anyone have any newbie race tips for me? I know my pace, so I'm pretty sure I'll be lining up near the back. Do they generally mark the race course pretty clearly? Is it tough to run along so many other people? should I bring my own TP? :smile:

I keep thinking to myself, I'm just going for a run. A run in a new place, with some other people. All I have to do is run. But I'm a worrier.

My anxiety always comes from whether or not there will be parking! I generally only do one race per year and it's a big one- like 10,000 runners. I've learned I can park about a 3/4 mile away in a free city lot that never fills up. I just have to give myself enough time to walk to the start :smile:

I also keep to the sides to avoid runners in my way. Also if you are towards the back just follow the people in front and you shouldn't get lost.

I've never used a porta-potty at a race so I can't help you there.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Question on carb loading, sine I'll be shopping this week and I thought if it. I know that you're supposed to start carb loading early, but how early? I've read a bunch of articles on the amount of carbs to eat (like 3.6 to 5.5g per pound of body weight, right?) but some have you start carb loading strarting 5 or so days out, and others just mention the 2 days before the race. How do you do it?

Last annoying question, do you work about macro ratios? Do I eat all those carbs in proportion to the other macros, or is it just try to get the carbs and not worry about the others? Currently set for (50%C, 30%F, 20%P)

Sorry and thanks all taper begins Monday!

My method is documented in my blog.

https://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-marathon-taper-and-carb-loading.html

No running yet today. I have a group Swamp Fever Run tonight at 9 PM.
    We are running around for 7 miles in the National Wild Life preserve and then drink beer. Last year we ended up at Waffle House before crashing for the night, errr... morning.

It's called Swamp Fever cause that is practically what it is. A huge hot and humid swampy mess. There's a few alligators rumored to be roaming around in the area as well.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Trust the training! You got this!!!!!

Hopefully it is a decent size race on a course well marked with sentry volunteers. So just follow everyone else. :-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I forgot that you had that on tour blog
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 The Stellas would make quite a team :)

@RespectTheKitty have a great time at your race. Don't be nervous about logistics, they will have it all pretty fool-proof I'm sure. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

I took a rest day today, and did some hot yoga. I probably should have run though as it was gorgeous out. Tomorrow is long run day.

Hope everyone has an awesome running weekend! Good luck on races and training.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@RespectTheKitty - I get nervous about logistics for every new race I run. If I've run the same race before, I'm more comfortable with the drill; but for a new venue, I worry about getting there on time if not about more stuff. For a race I have to travel to, it's worse.

Go ahead and worry, but don't let your worries rule you. You know your own digestive issues better than anyone else does, so do the best you can with them. Count on there not being any port-a-pots on a 10K course, but scope out where the closest place to the finish line is.

So you know your pace. If you think you'll run a 10K in an hour, and you hear a group of runners saying this is the time they're going to come in under an hour, line up in front of them. Chances are they won't come in as fast as they hope. Look at the crowd. You'll be able to tell who are the serious runners and who are the wannabes. If you think you're slow, line up behind the people who look like serious runners. Line up ahead of the people who look like wannabes. Some of them won't be able to run the full distance, and you already know you can.

The course should be clearly marked, and should have road marshalls. In most races, if you're not the lead runner you can just follow the runners ahead of you. In a couple of small races (a 15K and a half marathon), I've been so far behind the people in front of me that I couldn't see where they turned. I am not ashamed to ask a road marshall or even a group of spectators where the course goes. (I had to ask once last Saturday. Everywhere else, the markings were clear and/or I could see what the runners in front of me did.)

Tough to run with other people? Depends on what you're trying to do and what the other people are like. If you line up too far back, it can be a nuisance to get around large clumps of people who are walking. If it's extremely crowded among runners, you can expect to bump a few elbows with other runners. But mostly, you'll just be running. After a few hundred meters, the pack will sort itself out and you'll be running with people reasonably close to your own pace. Until some of them slow down because they went out too fast, or you get passed by someone who went out slow and picked it up after warming up. Neither of those things is a big deal.

Have fun!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1 Rest Day
    6/2 3.1 miles
    June 3.1/50. Plan for 4 miles on Sunday. Happy trails to everyone.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 5.29.17 - 6.4.17

M - 11.9 miles.
    T -
    W - 10 miles.
    T -
    F - 10 miles.
    S -
    S -
    Total - Miles

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @mmecraine Post your question from the May Challenge in here - Man we are busy 7 pages in already.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June goal: 50 miles

6/1/17: 3.5 miles
    6/2/17: 1 mile

4.5/50 miles

Today wasn't a scheduled run day, but I took the dogs to the park to walk and we ended up running a mile. It was nice and cool at 72F and I couldn't resist. The dogs seemed to like it too, but I think about a mile is their limit.

exercise.png