June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    60 miles this month. I will be on vacation the first full week of June.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Rest day/closing in on taper madness for the day: checking the weather and realizing that in 2 days, I'll start seeing race day on the long range forecast on weather.com..... Accuweather has had it for a while, and NOAA won't have it for another few days, I think they only go out 10 days.... LOL

I don't post much but I read every post on the thread but wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading about your prep work.

I'm getting excited for you. You'll nail it I'm sure!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    June 1 - 2.3 miles

Total 2/20

Fairly new runner, so I am counting this as my first official "run". It was about 3/4 running and 1/4 walking. I am slow, and really could walk faster than I "ran", but I did the best I could. My other few times running was on a treadmill. Wow, is that so much easier than running in a hilly neighborhood. Seems all my running was uphill and my walking was downhill. Instead of running from markers, like stopsigns or turn in the road, I think I will download a C2K type app for next time.

I happened to look at my split time on map my run and mile 1 was 16:32 and mile 2 was 16:56, Not bad as a starting point, and I can only get better from here!!!

great start and welcome!!!

c25k works well for many, but so does running between targets. Whatever works well for you (I'm a c25k graduate who recently completed her first Half Marathon with another one booked)

as to being slower running than walking - that's fine - running is a gait not a speed. slower is best as it gets your body used to the running action, gets the lungs and heart, bones and muscles ready for more and more.

also - don't forget recovery!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    katie2400 wrote: »
    Hi! I'd love to jump in on this! I am very new to running, so mileage isn't really on my radar. I'm just trying to get through training for a 10k! I'm currently on week 5 of a 13 week training plan. So i'm in for 3 days a week of running!

Welcome @katie2400 ! If you just want to track days instead of miles, that's fine. You set a goal that means something to you. I have a mileage goal, but it's really a guess at how many miles I will run as I pursue my real goals. I don't stress out if I come in above or below the goal; that's more an indication of how well I predict the future than how well I meet a goal. I don't always predict the future very well.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    02 - C25K W4D3 2.3 miles

2.3 out of 20
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:

exercise.png

Ohhh, thank you for the reminder about National Doughnut Day! Will be stopping at Dunkin on the way back from my lunch break foot massage, lol
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have a question for you all... how do you budget for race fees, travel, etc?

I quit my job at the beginning of the year so money is tighter now than it was. When I was working I didn't have time to train or run races. Now I have time, but less money - lol. I think part of my problem is not only do I have to pay for the entry fee, but also a babysitter for my kids. So gets pretty expensive.

I had a friend that paid for local races and said it came out of her entertainment budget.

I've not done many races, but I would say the idea of taking it out of an 'entertainment budget' is a good one. I have a 'holiday account' and pay into this every month. From this comes all my holiday needs - travel, spending money, dance festivals and races. If the money isn't there, I can't go.

I also favour trails, and trail races tend to be cheaper than road races, as there aren't the added costs of closing roads. So for example a trail marathon a couple of hours from me is £37 to enter, then camping is another £10-£15 on top of that. I don't expect to get a race t-shirt out of that (bling yes). Shorter races are around £12 a go.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have a question for you all... how do you budget for race fees, travel, etc?

I quit my job at the beginning of the year so money is tighter now than it was. When I was working I didn't have time to train or run races. Now I have time, but less money - lol. I think part of my problem is not only do I have to pay for the entry fee, but also a babysitter for my kids. So gets pretty expensive.

I had a friend that paid for local races and said it came out of her entertainment budget.

I keep my races local (i.e. no further than 30 miles from my house), so I only have gas and entry fees to pay for. The fees are usually around $20-$30 per race and like your friend, this counts as part of my entertainment budget.