June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Rest day/closing in on taper madness for the day: checking the weather and realizing that in 2 days, I'll start seeing race day on the long range forecast on weather.com..... Accuweather has had it for a while, and NOAA won't have it for another few days, I think they only go out 10 days.... LOL
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    6/1 = Gym day; 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 minutes of strength training
    6/2 =
    6/3 =

What is it about running on the treadmill that makes my knees hurt? They don't bother me running on trails or the road. You would think that it would be the opposite...

(June miles to date) 3/150 (June goal miles)

@amymoreorless my orthopedic doctor calls the treadmill the devil, he said that same pace and exact same "terrain" is the worst.

That's why my PT banned me from the treadmill...They are the devil
  • onlymuttix
    onlymuttix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    onlymuttix wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new. Just started four days ago. The first two days I walked 4 miles and yesterday I did 5. I've cut an average of 2 minutes per mile each day.

Right now I'm walking but by the end of June, I want that to be running.

Goals:

1. 150 miles for the month
    2. Running for at least half each workout by the end of the month (so 2.5 miles running/2.5 walking)
    3. Lose 8 pounds/one clothing size

I go out in the evening so I'll update w/today's results later tonight.

Welcome, @onlymuttix ! If you're not yet a runner, be sure to train smart to become one. At first, that means no more than 3 running days a week, and non-consecutive days. C25K is a popular program to take you from walking to running a 5K; I used a similar program to turn myself into a runner in 2011.

The key to becoming able to run farther and faster is, most days you don't do anything close to what you *can* do. You don't run as far as you can, you don't run as fast as you can. You increase distance very gradually, and work very hard to run slow enough that your training can progress. Then you let your inner speed demon out to play on race day.

Don't be intimidated by those of us who run 6 days a week for what seems like crazy long miles to a beginner. We all had to start from where you are, build very gradually, and learn to slow down in order to run farther.

Thanks! Right now I'm just working on distance and building up with spurts of jogging. I'll check out C25K and see if I can work that in.

Do you recommend just doing workout dvds instead of walking every day? Or is walking fine, I just have to stagger the running? I'm trying to get 60 minutes of exercise a day and right now the bulk has been walking (I added an arm/ab dvd today).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm new. Just started four days ago. The first two days I walked 4 miles and yesterday I did 5. I've cut an average of 2 minutes per mile each day.

Goals:

2. Running for at least half each workout by the end of the month (so 2.5 miles running/2.5 walking)

Welcome, @onlymuttix ! If you're not yet a runner, be sure to train smart to become one.

I would say, if she went out for a run, then she's already a runner. :wink:
    She may be new to running though in which case, your advise @MobyCarp applies.

EDIT: I just read that she only has been walking. But once you do a run @onlymuttix, welcome to the world of us crazies.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic you got this. You'll rock 100 miles this month
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Been very busy the last few days and had a long travel day today. So alas, no run on the 1st. I am going for 75 again... although I haven't made my running goal in months. But, it's okay. I am healthy and still biking and lifting ... life is good!
    I'm away for 8 nights in Kansas City (for AP Reading --we grade hundreds of exams over 7 days... sounds boring but it's good). Last year I ran 7 days in a row and plan to do the same this year... so maybe I'll hit the goal!
    Traveling to Barcelona, France, Italy and Germany on a cruise and then family visit so I won't be biking as much. Need to force myself to do strength training on my own, without my gym this month!

@juliet3445 - so true - good days and bad days. I can't seem to predict what will happen!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.2 miles

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park HM
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Goals:

Welcome, @onlymuttix ! If you're not yet a runner, be sure to train smart to become one. At first, that means no more than 3 running days a week, and non-consecutive days. C25K is a popular program to take you from walking to running a 5K; I used a similar program to turn myself into a runner in 2011.

The key to becoming able to run farther and faster is, most days you don't do anything close to what you *can* do. You don't run as far as you can, you don't run as fast as you can. You increase distance very gradually, and work very hard to run slow enough that your training can progress. Then you let your inner speed demon out to play on race day.

Don't be intimidated by those of us who run 6 days a week for what seems like crazy long miles to a beginner. We all had to start from where you are, build very gradually, and learn to slow down in order to run farther.

Thanks! Right now I'm just working on distance and building up with spurts of jogging. I'll check out C25K and see if I can work that in.

Do you recommend just doing workout dvds instead of walking every day? Or is walking fine, I just have to stagger the running? I'm trying to get 60 minutes of exercise a day and right now the bulk has been walking (I added an arm/ab dvd today).

You're used to walking, so walking every day is fine. If you want to do a workout DVD, that's okay too; it's just the running that you need to build gradually with enough rest between workouts.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Alright @Stoshew71. I did the Gatorade (G2) every 1.5 miles. And I had great results today. So great, I decided to up my monthly goal from 60 to 70. I will still try the ring pop (if I find them) and let you and the group know.

1---5.06 Horsefly run

5.06/70

One last reminder
    https://www.talkable.com/x/wmnESA- Oiselle 20$ off new customer

Upcoming races
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

And I figured out why my calorie burn was unreasonably high. I let DH use my watch and his settings were synced. I'm not male, 6ft, 184 pounds. I reset my PR's. Today would have been a PR, but I didn't reset it beforehand​. Ahwell.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 wow! Sounds like an exciting month!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – 8.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/2 – rest day

June total to date – 8.25

Nominal Challenge Goal – 230 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Run McMullen Mile in under 5:50 on June 9. Run Medved 5K to Cure ALS in under 20:00 on June 18.

Today's notes – This evening I ran my warmup and cooldown on sidewalks and trail, but for the workout proper I was a track circler. Had beautiful running weather, 64º F (18º C) and low humidity. Ran my two mile warmup, and checked the board. The workout for McMullen Mile was 2-3 x (600, 400, 200) at R pace with 400 recovery. The workout on the marathon training plan was 3 x 2000 at T pace with 2 minutes recovery. 400 is close enough to 2 minutes recovery, so 3 sets would be the same distance either way; it's just a matter of how much distance is intense, and how intense it is. I dithered, and decided the marathon was more important to me than the mile. Ran the workout as 3 x 2000 at T with 400 recovery, because that was easier to keep track of than 2 minutes; it came out very close. The 2000s came in at 7:56, 8:00, 7:59; the 400 recovery came in at 1:59, 1:57, 2:01. Okay, maybe I deliberately adjusted my pace a bit in recovery to make the 400s come out at 2 minutes.

Took a shorter cooldown because I ran farther than planned yesterday. This brings the week to date in at 39.57 miles of a target 51, with a rest day tomorrow and an assignment of 12 miles for Saturday. Close enough.

Edit to add: Came home, and saw the email that registration had opened for Oak Tree Half. That's a target race for me this year, so I signed up today and added Oak Tree to my list of 2017 races. Other races will get added as I register for them.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)