WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – I want to live in my own home as long as I possibly can; hope to be able to drive as long as it is safe for me to do so. I’ve been on several 6-month driving restrictions due to seizures (which are controlled by medication) over the past 10 years. I know my DOS, next door would check in on me. He usually comes in every day as it is. He helps his Dad in doing things and they have cut down about 20 pines which had beetles in them. Not the kind that take out all the trees, just here and there. It is normal to lose a small % of trees each year; but, if they get them, we’d have to clear-cut them. So we watch closely and have a timber guy that checks on them as well. This fall they will do a ‘control burn’ on the field behind and to the side of the house. That is a 2- or 3-man job. I’d really hate to think I had to move back to town.

Becca – Do y’all have a “Meals on Wheels” where she can have one meal that is delivered to her daily or every few days and they’d check in on her as well? We also have someone that comes and builds ramps if needed. Maybe the Retired Vets or Habitat for Humanity or through a church. Somethings you can put her a ‘call list’ for places to check on her. Churches as well have programs to check on seniors.

Joyce – And there are Mothers who have donated their eggs and have used their uterus as an incubator. It’s bad when you lose all 3 children, one to Daddy, one to her paternal grandmother, then Daddy stepped in, and one got removed by DFACS and her Daddy came down and got him. Yep, 3 children by different baby-daddies. Of course the DFACS in the area he lived in checked him out as well. He was told that he’d have to move somewhere with a 2nd bedroom. Child care was with someone he knew. She’s gained some much needed weight and has gotten glasses, which was one of the reasons she wasn’t doing well in school, grades have improved. Mother has not done ‘anything’ that she was ‘ordered’ to do. Has been ‘in jail 3 or 4 times’ since - so I doubt that DFACS would ever allow her to get them back under the circumstances. According to Trey she is now living in this county about 5 miles away as the 'crow flies'.

We had to stop Cracker from chewing the stuffing out of things, her toys mostly; but, when she got ahold of my ‘flamingo slippers’ my DOGD gave me, I really wanted to ‘kill her’. But was able to sew them back up (several times). If the closet door wasn’t shut well, she’d nudge it open and get them. Now they are in a box. She’d have stuff clear across the house. Now, I buy her canvas toys; but, if they have legs or arms, that is what she does with it the first day, chews everyone off. She will play with them. Then I bought what has become her all-time favorite. A flat squirrel with squeakers at both ends. She shake it so hard that the squeakers would hit her on each side of the head. She chewed them out and all she does is shake them (yep bought her a 2nd one). Louis started throwing it across the room, now she ‘expects’ for that to be done. He just looks at me and I tell him, ‘well you started it … what do you expect’? LOL! She sure does ‘love her Daddy’; but, she loves me more! Because I will scratch her. Don’t feel bad, I never have my camera or or near me when Cracker does funny things, and she is such a ‘light sleeper’ that if we just move in our chairs to a different position her little eyes pop open. We have an old tractor wheel we use as a fire pit (burn pile). He build a bench by it; and, one end I can’t touch my feet on the ground at one end; but, it is level! I’d like to put stone or bricks down so we could use the area. I also want it to be more landscaped than it is. We’ll see what transpires on that one. He doesn’t mind spending money; but, he also gave me $30 yesterday, for groceries) and $20 of it went to one item. I don’t have any credit card debt, he doesn’t have but two and uses them ‘only’ for emergencies. I took the other 2 or 4 of maybe 5; and, ‘hide’ them by putting them into a block of ice in the big freezer. I told him that I tore them up actually. I never want to be into that again. I had one that the yearly interest rate was over 25%. I got tired of the interesting being ½ of the minimum payment.

I agree, it really saddened me because several of them I had gotten close to; but, we had moved back to GA when it happened.

My husband and DOS paint for a living. One of our neighbors whose wife was a bit of a flake, told Louis she had picked out a color for their trim (they had a brick house) … very large, 2 car attached garage to house, shop and a one car garage attached to it; and ‘dental’ molding around the entire home. That is a ‘hard’ job; and he asked the husband if she was ‘sure’ about the color; and, he told him that he would take her out of town on vacation to the beach house. They drive up and Louis had just finished it. She took one look and said, ‘it’s too dark, I want to change back’. Her husband (who had a LOT of money) told Louis, paint it, I know I will owe you at least 2x as much. When people start wanting to ‘add’ things to a job he has already bid on, he tells them … this will be extra (and normally gives them the price right them). Most of his work has been repeat of customers and decorators. But, he had one decorator that I guess she was trying to ‘pull a fast and furious game’ on the homeowners. She wanted him to take one gallon tinted a dark color and one gallon tinted a lighter color; then she would take one and add 25% of the other to it; then 10% to the other of this mixture and back and forth. Louis finally told her ‘if she continued’ he was going to tell the homeowner to show him the color they were trying to get and he’d buy the paint. All he needed was a bit of material or wallpaper and they can match it exactly at the paint store. If she continued down the lane she was, they’d have enough freaking paint to paint the house inside AND out. She finally got enough complaints from painters and carpenters that she decided to get a job she could actually make money doing. She was doing the ‘decorating’ on the side, and, living off her parents after a divorce.

Even ‘if’ Louis repainted a room the same color, he charges them as if he is painting it as a totally new job. He does NOT like to give someone a quote and then they go with someone who is cheaper, then they call him and want him to ‘come repaint it’. Most of the times the other painted has left globs of paint in the corners of the windows and they have drips, missed spots, or paints on the windows, or paint them shut. Breaking open painted shut windows and reglazing the windows is something that is already figured in, in his quote. One reason he is a little higher than some. He tells them that he will have to come out and look at what they aren’t happy with and give them a ‘new’ quote (for trying to correct someone else’s mistakes). What Louis hates most is to find that the previous painter has painted latex paint over oil without priming it. It will come off in sheets; and, they have to sand it, then prime it, then they can paint with the latex paint. He also washes down the house with a pressure washer and if they really do not need a paint job (unless they are changing colors), he will tell them that he thinks it could go another year or two. He’ll then wash down their driveway and sidewalks. He has never advertised in the 30+ years he has been at it, it’s all been ‘by word of mouth’. Generally, he will have 4 or 5 on his ‘waiting list’. He tells them ‘if you need this done sooner, then you need to find someone else. People who really want him, will wait.

What do you mean by ‘big window mural’? Oh, and Louis has painted rooms and the owners will have someone else come in and they will make it look like marble or other materials. They had one of the gated community property on the ‘list of homes’ one Christmas and she makes a LOT of money doing that type of painting. Louis has brought home some ‘hideous looking paint for shutters’. Two toned, painted with one color, then painted over with a different color and ‘aged’ by sanding it. He painted a brass chandelier not long ago, a gray, like the walls, and I slung white paint on it to look like that metal blue and white cookware you can find at places like K-Mart. I know I have two larger roasters and one smaller one. Had a big pot; but, went out while cooking bean soup after I had tasted it, and in the time I went out and got something from the shed, came back in and stirred it, to find that it had stuck to the bottom. Because I had stirred it, the entire pot had to be thrown out because it was inedible. The pot had bowed on the bottom. That sucker when in the trash!

Margaret – Every summer when we went to St. Augustine with the girls I’d go to a store that last year you had you pick of many flamingos, just whatever you were willing to pay; this past year, I went in and found only ‘one’ flamingo and it is white with silver rubbed on it and mirrored wings. I was ‘so disappointed’ because I had saved to buy something more expensive. Each year when we go ‘on vacation’ I try to ‘find’ a flamingo. Not sure I will do that when we go to Texas or not. Pelicans are big in Louisiana because of it being their State bird. Louis likes them; but, we only have a few pictures that have them in it.

Heather – I will be happy when I get to that weight. That's close to my goal.

I saw the PA this AM; I started having pain in my lower abdomen and everything I have that feeling, I have had a UTI. I met Louis and Mike for lunch; Trey was in a pissy mood and did not want to come, did not want Louis to bring him something back either. I got to the intersection that I turn to go to my MD; and, then could not even ‘think’ of where Wendy’s was. That’s a scary thought. I have been having some lapses in memory so Debbie asked me some ‘simple’ questions which I could answer. She told me that maybe the reason I am feeling ‘blue’’ is because of the weather; but, I needed to call my MD in Macon and discuss it with him. By the time I got home, he was closed; but, he will be ‘in the office’ tomorrow – so I will call first thing in the morning. Maybe just a change up on my medications will keep me from sliding off the deep end. I've forgotten to take my AM meds, sometimes not until Louis comes home and really gets on to me about it. I take it, if it isn't past a certain time; then wait to much later to take my night-time meds. I just 'forget'. It's not like it is hidden from me ... right on the counter. Usually, I keep up with it by making a slash mark on calendar and make it into an "X" when I take my evening meds. I'm sure that probably has a lot to do with how I am feeling.

I have a friend that just found out she ‘might’ have lung cancer. She is so down; and, I want her to ‘snap out of it’; but, not sure what I’d do if I had gotten the same ‘iffy’ flippant comments from the MDs. If it is cancer, she doesn’t know if she will go through treatment and she said she would NOT stop smoking. Being someone who has never smoked, unless you consider the Cuban cigar that a friend and I shared at the age of 7. I don’t understand smokers. We’ve had a ‘smoke-free house since we moved out here; just not a ‘tobacco-free house’. I, at least, don’t have to breathe it in. That came about when my diagnoses was COPD; later changed to 'sleep apnea'.

Louis has his mother’s mostly sunny disposition; he brother has his Dad’s totally ‘old grumpy old man bitching’ disposition. They work together and I hear Louis complain about his brother being ‘just like their Dad’; but you can’t say it to him.

Watching LSU and FL State playing baseball. Bottom of 5th, LSU ahead by 3. Hope they continue hitting those balls. FL State has been ‘favored’ to win; but, I don’t think they are. LSU was sort of a long-shot I think. Love me some ‘college’ baseball.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lenora & Becca: Lenora, you gave me a good idea. Our local senior center operates a Meals on Wheels service. It is not free, but the cost is moderate and may be on a sliding scale. The subscribers get one meal a day, as I understand it. It is delivered by a volunteer and that provides a personal check-in with the individual. My neighbor was a volunteer for them for many years. I rode along with her a couple of times. I think there is one in the Astoria area near Becca. It could certainly help her elderly neighbor. I found this link:

members.oldoregon.com/list/.../meals-on-wheels-columbia-senior-diners-astoria-3751
    Meals on Wheels - Columbia Senior Diners, Organization. 565 12th Street Astoria, OR 97103. (503) 325-9693.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June Accountability
    Progress - Tuesday , June 20th

✔️1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B16, L0, D16, AS1, BBS26 = 59g)
    ✔️2. Fiber 30g (42g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔️4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - 30 Fitbit minutes (0)
    6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by 12am
    8. Zone work - 15 minutes daily

Delaying travel to our lake house on Lake Livingston until Friday...watching Tropical Storm Cindy in the Gulf of Mexico. Our family reunion this weekend might be skimpy in attendance this year.

Eating better. Sleep still off. I quit worrying about sleep. I'll work on it after this weekend's reunion.

Onward.
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    vv1em6dvoo60.jpg

Saw this on a group site on Facebook that I frequent. Isn't it s beautiful quilt??
    Becca

that is beautiful

Here is another beautiful one!0q9ty41zjjrc.jpg
    Hugs Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Lenora, and Katla. I will check on that. I know the Senior Luncheon here in Warrenton meets Mons and Thursday, but its a $5 charge. Those same days they deliver to about 50-70 meals on wheels. I shall check to see what's required. Thanks! She is driving her car tomorrow. She won't take hints or suggestions. There are societies rules, then there is her rules! Aaack!

My feelings these days run from feeling sad for the situation she's in, to mad in all the things her family isn't doing! Sadly, I am looking forward to this move to Whidbey Island with more and more excitement! Sometimes things have a certain natural course they must follow. Prudence might think she should live independently, but the reality is that she needs more care. More than I could ever do!
    Hugs my ladies!
    Becca
    n0etvdhm86uw.jpg
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    evgqkiry7t07.jpg
    Isn't this the best chair ever. Saw it online, and it looked cute!
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Paula your iris and tulips are gorgeous.

Janetr okc
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! Happy Wednesday! Taking a break from my Challenge today as my back is still sore and now my knees are sore from the squats. I will hit the local pool tonight to get some water therapy in. That usually works out the soreness.
    Paula- Like the others, I would also like to convey my condolences to you and your hubby on the loss of his friend. AND like the others, I would agree that to pass away while enjoying an activity with people you love would be the ultimate way to go. Sending much love and hugs! <3
    Lenora- The bit that Beth mentioned about the brochure for a local funeral home, was in reference to my DH's birthday. He sees every birthday as "getting closer to death" (such an optimist). Since I posted that early yesterday, we sat down to dinner last night and I asked him if he" wanted anything special for his birthday, tomorrow (today)?" He replied, "Ugh. tomorrow is my birthday. I would have forgotten if you hadn't mentioned it." He said it with so much gloom, I told him that I was thinking of putting a funeral home brochure in his birthday card and he said "Don't bother, I already have all of the local ones!" LOL! He wasn't this way when we dated/married. I think I sucked the life out of him! >:)
    Heather- I am at the point where I would find men doing yard work otherwise done by me to be very attractive, rather than attracted by their looks. Beauty fades, but the appreciation for a body doing hard work doesn't! I am sure my DH's attractiveness would multiply greatly if he cooked sometimes. I will have to compliment him next time I see him doing anything close to the stove or grill! >:)o:)
    Ginger- Your reunion weekend sounds wonderful! Do you have a good turn out each year? I come from a large family also (eleven kids on my mom's side) and our reunions used to be HUGE; but we are down to only a couple dozen of us getting together now. It seems the families/cousins don't gather like we used to.

Kids are here; we are waiting for the others to arrive so that we can take a walk to the beach. I think I will pack our lunch and just do an early lunch on the deck before we head down to the sand. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• coastalgosgal
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Looking at the irises reminds me of my Moms front yard. She has already sold her house and moved to the retirement home and a local university had bought e house and used it for visiting professors. But Norma wanted some bulbs. So she went over and dug some up. I told her that,for one thing it wasn't right and for another, they didn't look right. So when they grew she and lots of wild onions growing I that spot! Serves her right. She was trespassing and dug up the ground.

Beautiful quilts, so talented.

Bought the kitten a new ball tonight. It is much bigger than the regular balls so it doesn't go under the tv, couch, etc. and it does t have any noise maker in it. Still can't get Melody interested though. She just watches. But as long as she watches I feel there is hope.

There as no choir practice since the church had Vacation BIble School. I guess I could have usd the time and volunteered but I am ashamed to say that after about 4 years at church, I hardly know any of the kids names and mainly the names of the ladies in my Sunday School class and choir. So I went to Walamrt and shopped for some new cat toys. He does a good job of tearing up his toys.

Joyce, indians
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    well awake at 1:30 this morning, and no more sleep... this is driving me batty.. but have a great day lined up..
    a friend of mine where Tom works managed to get a couple of pictures of the girlfriend from the back, trim figure and over processed black hair.. want to get a face shot.. no I am not obsessing.. just want to see what she looks like is all.. whats done is done..
    I just can't wait to get the show on the road...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday, stay safe to all those in the storms' path going through gulf area.

Going to tidy up today, get all my thank you notes sent out to students and all loose items packed. I love setting up my bulletin boards for the welcome back and schedules set as best I can. Seems we are headed for a lot of new "leadership" and many new young colleagues so it should be a very busy and challenging September! No use worrying about that now, going to work on my summer bucket list. I have already set my summer budget and exercise goals, now will make a reading list, a social plan, maybe a little trip or too and project list-wow, I almost sound like Ginger !!

NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    o:)