WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Pogo Scrabble ~ I love to play this game online. Sadly, I haven't been able to get it to load for two days. Finally got it to load on Internet Explorer after spending hours trying to fix. But, it says I need to disable pop ups and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Thank goodness for internet searches to solve problems.

Jewelry ~ After I retired (10 yrs ago), I got into buying vintage jewelry (mostly from the Good Will and estate sales) and selling it on eBay and a couple of other sites. For several years I was doing great and enjoyed the work it entailed. It's gotten where the vintage jewelry goes for almost nothing and I have am not willing to just give it away at those prices. So, today I started packing it up in a large storage container. So far, 4 gallon bags of earrings. Still have a mountain of it to go through. When I pack it and see the names of all the old sought after designers, it makes me want to scream. Weiss, Hattie Carnegie, Trifari, Coro, Lisner, Miriam Haskell, Eisenberg, Ciner, etc. Just hope when I die, my son won't throw it all away.

Enough complaining! I am so blessed and hope all of you have a blessed day.

Carol in GA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I'm having a case of the blue meanies today, and I really don't know why. Thankfully, the blue meanies are rare for me. We have my car repair scheduled for next Monday through Friday. I'll have a rental car provided by the insurance of the woman whose son hit my car. The insurance company wanted me to rent though Hertz, but the nearest Hertz office is too far away by road for that to be practical. They have offices in Longview, Portland, Beaverton & Ridgefield. Ridgefield is very close if you're a bird or traveling on a boat. It is right across the river from us, but the nearest bridges are in Portland and Longview. The apparent distance is close, but the miles it takes to get there are ridiculous. An executive from Hertz followed up with me today and I assured him that we like their company just fine, but distances make it impractical for us to use their services. :ohwell:

Katla, that is crazy. You deserve to get mean! They need to deliver the rental car to your door OR have it waiting for you at the car dealer's. I am so sorry this happened to you!

An idea: Have Pip call them and offer to kick their *kitten*. Maybe they'll squire you around in a limo!

What's the insurance company if I may ask?

Lanette
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Jewelry ~ After I retired (10 yrs ago), I got into buying vintage jewelry (mostly from the Good Will and estate sales) and selling it on eBay and a couple of other sites. For several years I was doing great and enjoyed the work it entailed. It's gotten where the vintage jewelry goes for almost nothing and I have am not willing to just give it away at those prices. So, today I started packing it up in a large storage container. So far, 4 gallon bags of earrings. Still have a mountain of it to go through. When I pack it and see the names of all the old sought after designers, it makes me want to scream. Weiss, Hattie Carnegie, Trifari, Coro, Lisner, Miriam Haskell, Eisenberg, Ciner, etc. Just hope when I die, my son won't throw it all away.

Carol in GA

Carol, I did the same thing with Red Rose Tea Figurines. I have boxes of them....some of the very collectible - or were when I bought them for good $$ years ago. I'm not ready to give them away yet - have room so will hang onto them for a while.

Hope a market materializes for your jewelry. Things go in and out of fashion so I'll cross my fingers that once again your items find good homes.

Lanette
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your support Lanette! There's no telling how much money I have invested in this stuff.

Allie ~ You go girl! So glad you have a lawyer that's gonna fight for you.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    Hello all: It is a cool,cloudy day today and I have gotten a lot done. I went to AquaFit class this morning since Yoqua is suspended for the summer for kids lessons. That was good and I came home and have gotten a lot of yardwork done this afternoon. However I have the munchies this afternoon. I am trying to drink water and keep busy. Often when I want sweet or salty things I find I am really thirsty.

Allie - Hang in there.

Katla - Good luck with the rental car.

Becca - Your posts are always so entertaining. Thanks for the smiles.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jennymo
    jennymo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I went to my line dancing class today. The class that has the troublesome woman and all was well. She was on one side of the floor and I was on the other side, but there were no remarks today just lots of dancing. I clocked 11,700 steps and over 7kms.
    I also met someone who happens to know this person and after hearing her history I have a better understanding of her. So I am not going to let her bother me.
    Barbie we also do Come dance with me at the beginner/improver class. We usually warm up to Electric slide and finish with a waltz.
    Beautiful day here so now I am home from dancing I'm going to have a tall glass of lemon water and sit on my deck and read for a bit.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Jenn
    BC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I went to one of those paint with Acrylic classes today I always learn something and I had fun. A good way to spend three hours. When I take these classes I like to try out different brush strokes and play with color.

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    margaret your painting is lovely.

Sue good reminder to keep drinking water, so important and it definitely keeps me from munching mindlessly!

NYKAREN
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi, friends,
    Welcome to the newbies!

Loving the pictures! Thanks, everyone!

Felicia, One of my sisters was physically challenged and schizophrenic. I truly know your pain.

Lenora, thank you for sharing the poem.

Trying to respond at work and it is too crazy. Catch you later!

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oops!
    Toni from TN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Katla – And Enterprise advertises that ‘they will come pick you up’. What a balf-faced lie. They’ll come pick you up provide it is after 4:30pm when the rentals come back in. I had to take a VW Jetta; which was not really comparable to my car; but, once I got home, Louis said, even ‘if’ everything was manual (other than the color back-up mirror) it is a much safer car than some I could have gotten. I just wanted MY car back; but, I had a seizure the week we got the car, so we turned it back in. Did not make sense to rent a car to sit in our carport.

Carole – Thank goodness for Windows’ Cortana which pops up and is a search engine. I can look up anything I want to just by have a word mentioned. This really helps with those of you that live in other countries use words that are not familiar in the USA English language.
    I’d love to see your collection of vintage jewelry. I got a lot of what I’d called ‘costume jewelry’ from my Mother. I just never remember to break it out and see what it goes with.

I did something today that I normally would ‘never’ do … I gave a woman who claimed to have lost her wallet between where she was at the moment and the nursing home. She might have duped me; but, for once it made me ‘feel good about helping someone’. When I got back out, she was gone. Maybe she really did need some money for gas.

Lanette – Yeah, I think insurance companies use an outdated version of MapQuest to find something, then they say they will only pay it because it is the nearest to your location. Yeah, if you are a bird and don’t need to cross a bridge. I doubt they have ferries every 200 feet. A year ago, this past August, I had a bad seizure and was knocked out in the fall. Two ambulances got stuck (using GPS) coming from the south up our road; then coming from the north down our road. There is a paved road between these two points, and it did not ‘show’ up on that? WTH? So now, if we ever need emergency service and it is raining or has been … we will tell them ‘how to find us’ the best way … maybe not the shortest; but, by far, the best road. We’re only 1 mile up that road from the intersection. In fact, even though DDnL#1 had called and cancelled the EMT call, they sent a 3rd ambulance (out this way). She was ‘surprised’ when they knocked on their door when they could not get anyone here to answer the door. It has to do with ‘liability’. They have to make sure they put their eyes on the patient or can call the hospital to make sure they got there.

Allie – GOOD FOR YOU, Sweetie!!!! I’d love to be a fly on the wall …

Margaret – That looks like fun! When I draw or paint, I use different mediums together and mix it all up. If it doesn’t work, then, I have learned something … like, don’t try this again, and, K.I.S.S.

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Still painting! 2-3 coats on almost every surface! We may be working until midnight!

Allie - your lawyer is a genius! Take care!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good evening MFP Pals,

I had an interesting day... unpacked some stuff still in the garage since we moved here about a year and a half ago.
    Found old pictures and 2 plaster plaques of my youngest two kids' hands that were made in their kindergarten classes in 1980 and 1984. So cute. I hung them in my guest room/she cave.

I was going to do yoga with DD on FaceTime but we couldn't get it to work so I followed a low energy type yoga on YouTube instead. I just didn't have it in me. It lasted about 10 minutes. At least I streatched some.

Then I removed these strips that were put in the corners of the kitchen counters and the back splash. They are triangular shaped and had adhesive on the backs. Easily removed but then I scrubbed the areas clean. It was disgusting with 30 years of build-up behind them. I had to spray real good with cleaner and use a scrub brush too. Then I caulked the joint with white caulking. I cut the tip off too much so I had too much come out. I had more cleanup than necessary. But it turned out pretty good. Most importantly it will be so much cleaner which was my intention.

I have to get lab work done tomorrow and drive to Little Rock to my neurologist office for another MRI. I have had a lot of pain going down my legs even though I take gabapentin since my back surgery. So we're going to see what's going on in my back. It'll be a quick trip to Little Rock; my neurologist has a MRI at their office so I will find out immediately when I'm there with what has to be done if anything.

So that's about it for today. I did pretty good on my goals.

I need to catch up with all you later have a good evening!
    Dana in Arkansas

Dolly say good night!
    6ngvbqoy3cip.jpg
    2ewd7dbixtqb.jpg
    zpze7n8c5yb1.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)Dana, I want to hear what the MRI shows when you see the neurologist. I took Gabapentin (3000 mg a day) before my spine surgery. It helped some but after the surgery, the pain was gone and I was able to get off the Gabapentin. One thing I did like about it was that it made me drowsy and I slept very well at night.

:)Re, You do an amazing job of going to work and going to the gym and tending to stuff at home and having a great attitude about it all.

:) Today was a dance day so no working in the yard in the morning. Jake didn't do any work either because a good friend's cat died and he spent the morning consoling his friend, driving with him to the hills to bury the cat, and then taking the friend to lunch.

<3 Barbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options