WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Jenn, All line dance classes have difficult people. I look at them as an opportunity for growth, a way to learn more about myself. I teach a class with students with a wide variety of ages, personalities, and skill levels. It is my job to make everyone feel welcome and try to meet everyone's needs. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. If you like the dances, don't be discouraged by one difficult woman. If she bugged you, she probably bugs other people too. I urge you to go back and focus on what's right about the class and don't take anyone's comments personally. Also, what was the difficult dance you were trying to learn:?

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif Barbie from NW Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    250121x9f4ez5xgq.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for mentioning Thinner This Year. I plan to look for it so that I can learn more about digestion & gut bacteria. Re Physician Assisted Suicide--It started here in Oregon. My daughter, then in High School, worked on the campaign. After it passed, the Bush administration took it to court. My Auntie was dying of cancer at that time, but her doctors wouldn't help her because their licenses to practice medicine were at stake. A few weeks later, Oregon's law was upheld by the US Supreme Court. Unfortunately, it happened too late to help my Auntie. I think it can be a good option for people without hope of cure who are suffering. From a religious point of view, I can't imagine God turning away someone who has been suffering and has no hope of getting better. It is not my place to judge :flowerforyou:

I have an appointment for a haircut and don't dare be late or I will have to reschedule. Have a great day, everyone.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    jennymo wrote: »
    Morning all.
    Checking in. Hoping or should I be positive and say I will have a good day of making healthy choices! My pattern seems to be good for a couple of days then a day of overindulgence and back to good. Yesterday was overindulgence but it couldn't have been too bad as I was down 0.2lbs. I'll take that and get back to logging my food.
    I have a conundrum on my mind.
    I line dance 4 times a week. ...
    Jenn
    BC

I found that it took me about 3 weeks to make it a habit. I spent those three weeks, figuring out what I could eat, and that included thoroughly browsing through grocery stores and markets to discover what would fit within my calorie limit. I spent quite a bit of time walking up and down aisles and looking at the calorie listings on food.

By about the 3 week point, I had settled on something that works, and was able to stick with it until I lost my weight. I return to that pattern each time I want to drop a bit more.

As for your conundrum, I'd advise sticking with the class for a few more weeks ... could be this other woman might decide to go. If she is still a problem, then maybe it's time to do something else ... a different type of dancing, a spin bike class, hiking up one of the great trails in BC.

Machka ... usually in OZ but sitting in a cabin at the northern end of Vancouver Island right now. :)

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Allie I would tell Tom that you planned to spend some time at the house in Florida. See if you can take off from work. I agree. You need to ramp up this divorce. He may be planning ahead to show off his Florida house to his girlfriend to seal the deal with her. He may be promising her a vacation house! She must be a piece of work knowing he's married.

When I was divorced from DH#3, when it was final and the house sold, his ex got the majority of the money from child support due her. Money I did not know about until after the divorce was in progress and the house was on the market. She put a lien on the house!! I was so angry that I told EX-DH that if he went down to the escrow company and picked up the check that I would ******* kill him!! He did not go there, I picked it up and kept every penny. $20k went to ex-wife and I got $5k. I was livid.

Jennie and Callie Welcome! Glad to meet you!

Pip Bulwinkle is a cute pup! I love his look!

Becca Annebelle seems like she's strong minded like our Dolly. Some dogs just are no matter what you do or say. They are just that way. Now other dogs don't even care about cats or other dogs. They just walk on by!

Lynette Thanks for comment about our picture. Yes, DH and I are very happy, retired and try to enjoy all aspects of our life for sure. We have not had a fight since we met! 13 years already next month. A nice, funny, witty, smart, predictable DH and I love him very much!

I'm going to take a nap. I just took Gabapentin for my nerve pain down my legs. It makes me sleepy, so I guess I'll talk later. ❤️

Dana in Arkansas
    tbtctbk0q8w6.jpg
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    HI from Nebraska
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Has anyone on here experienced body shaming? I had the weirdest experience at my last hair appointment. Here I am thinking that I look really athletic and healthy and my hairdresser said very unkind things. She even said that I look like I have aged… she made me feel really bad about how I looked.

Not the best picture but the most recent. I am bent over a little bit trying to escape my husbands rabbit ears! I really feel horrible about myself now. Any advice?

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Oh, Mary. That's horrible. My advice? Get a new hairdresser. You look amazing -- athletic, healthy, and beautiful -- and even if you didn't, it's not her place to say a word about it.

ETA: Ah, I've read your follow up post. As you mentioned, it does sound more like the situation is, "Oh, wow, you've lost a lot of weight and look so different. I'm intimidated by your success, so I'll just say you look like you've aged." And as someone else pointed out -- well, we are aging. :wink:

Big hugs to you!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• jennymo
    jennymo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.
    I had decided to go and line dance and do my own thing. I have talked to other people including the teacher (who is also my friend) and she is a problem. But I'm not going to let her spoil my fun.
    Barbie the dance we are learning is called "The Queen".
    Have you taught that one yet?
    Jenn
    BC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Hello all: It has finally cooled off here and I am very glad. We went with a group from the YM yesterday to the Pacific Science Center to see the Terracotta Warriors from China. They are truly amazing. It is recommended that you see the IMAX movie on ancient China first and that is what we did. It gave background for the warriors. The exhibit shows how they were made and explains the differences in types, infantry, cavalry, etc. They will be in Seattle until September 4 and then move to Philadelphia. I got in lots of walking and 11 floors climbing stairs.

Today I have done some yoga and been outside working in the yard. I got kind of dehydrated yesterday so I am trying to drink lots of water today. Food is definitely easier for me in the summer with all the fresh fruits and veggies.

Mary - You are getting lots of good advice so I won't add to it.

Jenn - I would keep going at least for a while. Don't let her have the power to make you quit something you like.

Vicki - Hi back!

Heather - Hope that yogurt turns out fabulous.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • JennieLeeAustin
    JennieLeeAustin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Heather, thank you for the quick bio. I've been reading Women Ages 50+ April 2016. That's it. That's as far as I've managed to get to catch up. It's now 4:48 PM and I have not started dinner yet. So I'm throwing in the towel. I'll just have to catch up as best I can.

I will say that this is a board of stong, beautiful, supportive and welcoming women. Really glad I found this board.

Love the pictures of the kids and furr babies. It brightens my day.

Now I really HAVE to go make dinner before the natives get restless. Chat later.

Jennie in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did 30 min HIIT then 15 min on the rowing machine. Since we have a Newcomer board meeting tomorrow, the plan is to do a Perfect Legs, Glutes and Abs DVD.

After exercise, stopped at CVS but they didn't have Vince's cereal either, the Salvation Army (you never know what you'll find), then Aldi. Came home and used the mower and then the weedwacker. Tonight there's a volunteer appreciate something at the Green Room which I'll probably go to. It's "business casual" so Vince isn't interested. I'll go, probably won't stay real long.

Jess told us yesterday that Pete's mom texted her about places to have the bridal shower and days. HUH???? That is something that the attendants do....not the mother of the groom. Jess said today that she keeps asking her for the name of the place so she can look on the Internet to see it. Jess just told her nicely that the girls and her haven't decided on the place yet. Then the mother texted Jess the phone numbers of the girls. Now really....since Jess has been in touch with them, doesn't it stand to reason that she has their phone numbers?

Allie - I'm so very proud of you, you are getting stronger and stronger every day. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting Elana anywhere near the house. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that can be done to keep her away unless she for some reason can't leave the state which I doubt.

Callie - welcome! We sound like kindred souls. I'm an emotional and boredom eater, too. Seems no matter what I do, there are rolls of flab that didn't used to be there.

Did I tell you? We're supposed to take Bob's dog to the vet tomorrow at 4:30. So I sent an email to the gal who is supposed to walk the dog at 5 saying what's up and if the dog isn't there she shouldn't worry. She asked me what time we'll be back because she's signed up for game night. Really, it's not like game night will never again happen. So I agreed to walk the dog if we get back after 5. Tomorrow's board meeting should be very interesting. I know Vince is going to bring up the fact that money is being collected at these game nights and there is no accountability.

NYKaren - feel better

Margaret - I sure hope the Dawn works. When you put Dawn on something, do you have to scrub the item? Glad you liked the ant. I like his "antenna"

dana - I don't know how anyone like your ex-DH can do something like that!

Felicia - congrats on not gaining any weight! That's great. Lovely pics. Your mom sounds lovely. "Kids" is all I can say

Gonna have dinner then I'll go to the Green Room

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Michele I usually do rub and scrub until I no longer see the stain then put it into the laundry to wash. I do this on fresh stains. The stains I miss I treat with liquid laundry detergent or spray and wash. I do find if I catch stain early I have a better chance in their removal. If something is stained I also avoid the dryer. Drying seems to really set a stain.