Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    @GottaBurnEmAll have you tried roasted buckwheat groats? They're comparable to quinoa in nutrition and are very forgiving when cooked. If you overcook them they won't stick together like rice or "lose their nails" like quinoa. They have a light fluffy texture and a nutty flavor and can be eating hot or cold.

I haven't had the roasted buckwheat, but do frequently make regular buckwheat. I agree, it's much more forgiving to cook.

I'll have to get the roasted for some difference in flavor. I do love trying new grains.

And yes to eating them cold! I love grain salads. I like eating roasted vegetables tossed with grains cold in a salad with some yogurt or cottage cheese on the side. It's a very satisfying meal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

do I dare ask for a link or two showing this????

where vets "attack"...those who put down processed foods.

I am with Lemurcat on this one...for me processed foods are part of my regular WoE (way of eating) and I eat "convenience" foods too like lean cuisine when I on a crunch for time...or a healthy choice steamer...I assume those are "processed" but I get in 2-4 servings of veggies and protein from those, calories are decent and it helps me hit my macros.

my yogurt, my breakfast this morning (1 egg, cheese, english muffin, 4 slices of deli ham, coffee, creamer (AMG and it was coffee mate)) all processed foods (except the egg i guess) but healthy, nutrient dense.

How about this comment you made to on page 125?

shinedowness1 wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

sexystef's response
    don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions

To me @shinedowness1 did not indicate any total restriction of those items, just eating at a reasonable level for health. Reductions in the amount of process foods, sugar and fat, as you know, are recommendations from dietitians for most people in the developed world. Yet, she gets a snarky comment/attack.

The above response led to my unpopular opinion

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

again I will ask for a link to where a vet attacks...

I did not attack...it was a very matter of fact statement...I didn't even use an exclamation point...

and no where did the OP say they limit processed foods they said they try not to have GMO and processed but limit sugar and fat...

trying not to eat it means eliminating it where possible...and if that is the case I stand by my statement...if you are not eating GMO (never mind processed) you are limiting your foods esp in North America where 80% of our food has is GMO or has an ingredient that is GMO

Unless you redefine GMO to the point where it's meaningless.

Which is what most people who "limit/avoid" GMO do.

Not to mention that poster says they start their morning with "women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas" and then follows up by saying they "try to have foods that are not genetically modified". The concept of not eating genetically modified foods, yet relying on bananas ad a dietary staple is quite ironic...

Bananas, corn, oranges, sweet peas, beef. All genetically engineered to one degree or another..

But are we talking about genetically modified, or are we talking about hybridization?

Hybrid foods are not genetically modified in the sense that their genetic structure has NOT been changed in a lab on the cellular level. Yes, they ARE selectively bred and the gene pools of different strains are mixed to produce "better" strains. It is still a natural process similar to natural selection, just sped up by humans.

Human interference on the cellular level is what scares people. Hybridization has been happening naturally or with human intervention for millennia.

Very little of our individual foods are GMO. There are genetically modified versions of tomatoes, potatoes, wheat and rice, but none are sold in the United States.

BUT, in the United States today a huge proportion of the most commonly grown commodity crops are genetically modified: 95% of the nation's sugar beets, 94% of the soybeans, and 88% of the corn. This means that a large portion of processed foods will contain GMO ingredients because of the prevalence of beet sugar (45% of sugar used in the US is from beets), HFCS, and soy products.

Does it matter if the gene is modified via natural means or otherwise? Nature modifies DNA strands constantly. It is a critical aspect to adaptation and survival.

If people are scared of GMO, then people are ignorant of science. It's a luxury of affluence.

If you even have the ability to decide (or believe you do) to go non-GMO, well congrats....you're in the upper 13% of the world's population.

To some people it matters a lot because inserting a gene from a totally unrelated species in a lab is not the same as cross pollinating between similar species or grafting a bud from one type of apple tree onto a different one.

For the record, I don't care if something is GMO or not.

GMO's are also those plants that are drought resistance, bug resistant and disease resistant because of selective breeding...no one cares if we do it to horses so they can run faster or dog so their nose is squishier...but don't make our food better or more abundant no way.

Don't get me started on pet breeders. The only thing that gets me hotter are the pet surgical "modifiers" like cropping ears, docking tails, and declawing cats.

Preach
    I'd make an exception for TNR'd feral cats, where the vet crops the tip of one ear to alert cat rescue workers not to bother trapping a cat who's already been spayed/neutered. Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly.

That's ear tipping. Ear cropping would be for cosmetic reasons and removes a much larger part of the ear.

But this is waaaayyyyyy off topic!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    @GottaBurnEmAll have you tried roasted buckwheat groats? They're comparable to quinoa in nutrition and are very forgiving when cooked. If you overcook them they won't stick together like rice or "lose their nails" like quinoa. They have a light fluffy texture and a nutty flavor and can be eating hot or cold.

I thought buckwheat had gluten. But I may be wrong.

No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It's not a true grain, more like a seed.

You're correct. It doesn't. It's a pseudo-grain like quinoa.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

I am with Lemurcat on this one...for me processed foods are part of my regular WoE (way of eating) and I eat "convenience" foods too like lean cuisine when I on a crunch for time...or a healthy choice steamer...I assume those are "processed" but I get in 2-4 servings of veggies and protein from those, calories are decent and it helps me hit my macros.

my yogurt, my breakfast this morning (1 egg, cheese, english muffin, 4 slices of deli ham, coffee, creamer (AMG and it was coffee mate)) all processed foods (except the egg i guess) but healthy, nutrient dense.

sexystef's response

To me @shinedowness1 did not indicate any total restriction of those items, just eating at a reasonable level for health. Reductions in the amount of process foods, sugar and fat, as you know, are recommendations from dietitians for most people in the developed world. Yet, she gets a snarky comment/attack.

I did not attack...it was a very matter of fact statement...I didn't even use an exclamation point...

and no where did the OP say they limit processed foods they said they try not to have GMO and processed but limit sugar and fat...

trying not to eat it means eliminating it where possible...and if that is the case I stand by my statement...if you are not eating GMO (never mind processed) you are limiting your foods esp in North America where 80% of our food has is GMO or has an ingredient that is GMO

Not to mention that poster says they start their morning with "women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas" and then follows up by saying they "try to have foods that are not genetically modified". The concept of not eating genetically modified foods, yet relying on bananas ad a dietary staple is quite ironic...

Bananas, corn, oranges, sweet peas, beef. All genetically engineered to one degree or another..

But are we talking about genetically modified, or are we talking about hybridization?

Hybrid foods are not genetically modified in the sense that their genetic structure has NOT been changed in a lab on the cellular level. Yes, they ARE selectively bred and the gene pools of different strains are mixed to produce "better" strains. It is still a natural process similar to natural selection, just sped up by humans.

Human interference on the cellular level is what scares people. Hybridization has been happening naturally or with human intervention for millennia.

Very little of our individual foods are GMO. There are genetically modified versions of tomatoes, potatoes, wheat and rice, but none are sold in the United States.

BUT, in the United States today a huge proportion of the most commonly grown commodity crops are genetically modified: 95% of the nation's sugar beets, 94% of the soybeans, and 88% of the corn. This means that a large portion of processed foods will contain GMO ingredients because of the prevalence of beet sugar (45% of sugar used in the US is from beets), HFCS, and soy products.

Does it matter if the gene is modified via natural means or otherwise? Nature modifies DNA strands constantly. It is a critical aspect to adaptation and survival.

If people are scared of GMO, then people are ignorant of science. It's a luxury of affluence.

If you even have the ability to decide (or believe you do) to go non-GMO, well congrats....you're in the upper 13% of the world's population.

To some people it matters a lot because inserting a gene from a totally unrelated species in a lab is not the same as cross pollinating between similar species or grafting a bud from one type of apple tree onto a different one.

For the record, I don't care if something is GMO or not.

GMO's are also those plants that are drought resistance, bug resistant and disease resistant because of selective breeding...no one cares if we do it to horses so they can run faster or dog so their nose is squishier...but don't make our food better or more abundant no way.

Don't get me started on pet breeders. The only thing that gets me hotter are the pet surgical "modifiers" like cropping ears, docking tails, and declawing cats.

kind of my point...you don't care about GMO cause you know the science...but breeders are evil (agreed btw) but those who love their "cosmetic dogs" refuse to eat "GMO" foods...smh...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

sexystef's response

Aren't banana plants all pretty much clones of each other because they were bred to not have any seeds anymore centuries ago or something? I think cloning would be considered genetic modification, and creating a plant that can't possibly reproduce is not something that natural selection would likely produce nevermind it being an oxymoron because a mutation that can't breed wouldn't be able to spread.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum.

I disagree (again) when it comes to extra sugar -- people say "how do I control myself with sugary foods" and generally get lots of advice (I think helpful, but I would, I give it). I honestly can't think of any examples of people trying to cut fat, but I think other than "how much are you eating, what are the sources" kinds of questions, since some do better with more fat and there are healthy sources, they'd get helpful advice too. I often state that I cut both fat and carbs some when I started, and no one pushes back/criticizes.

When it comes to processed foods, I think processed foods are too varied for it to make sense to try to cut them (and also what does that mean -- you mean trying to cook at home from whole foods more? why not say that?).

Why is it important to worry about plain greek yogurt or smoked salmon, again?

If you WANT to cook more from whole foods, I totally support you (and give helpful advice in the threads where people say that). But if you say "cut out processed foods!" as advice to someone else -- which is common - or assert on the unpopular opinion thread that processed food is bad for us, yes, I will ask why, because I don't think being processed makes food bad or says much about it's nutrient profile at all.

And since you DO eat processed foods (as does basically everyone in this conversation) and seem not to think they are all inherently bad, I find your arguments here confusing.

Please tell me why just being processed makes a food bad for someone.

Please show me where I said why just a food being processed is bad.

I'll save you the time, I never did.

You suggested that avoiding processed foods is the equivalent of avoiding Cheetos and sodas, as if people who consume them must be eating huge amounts of those kinds of foods and having an unhealthy diet in general.

Sorry too many incorrect inferences.

To clarify my position, I have nothing against processed foods. I eat them on a regular basis. I do look at them along a simple green light/red light continuum.

Examples:
    Fresh frozen berries/prebagged salads = Green light, eat anytime
    Cheetos = Red light, eat rarely.

I believe most dietitians would be in general agreement with this methodology for most people.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yet even the most cursory perusal of the forums clearly shows that there are a staggering number of healthy, fit, athletic members on MFP.

What crazy talk! People can't possible be healthy and fit while also eating processed foods. It's impossible! Cosmo told me so! /s

That's the reason people who incorporate the things they love into their diet get "cheered". The sheer amount of "You can't eat this and be healthy!!!!!" BS that's around.

So let me ask y'all a question. I've been around on MFP since 2010, albeit a different username, and have repeatedly been challenged over what seems to be semantics. I say the words "processed foods" to mean boxed foods, I.e. Hamburger helper, fast food (no not a salad from McDonald's), hungry man meals, stuff with tons of preservatives etc. I am not referring to frozen veggies, GMOs, etc. WHAT should I (we, cause I'm not the only one) be saying to avoid these conundrums??? Do you want us to say "Whole Foods"? "Nutritionally dense foods?" "Cooked at home", Something else?

I ask with all due respect because when I see someone, including myself, trying to encourage people on these forums to eat more "nutritionally sense" foods, we get attacked on what seems to be nomenclature.

I want to know what additives make boxed foods terrible. What are they doing to the body/your health if someone consumes them even semi-regularly? That's my personal beef, no-one has ever named them and their negative effects.

As I replied above though, I call them convenience foods personally. But I do also understand when people use processed as a blanket term for those foods.

I appreciate your reply. I agree, occasional consumption is fine. I certainly eat these types of food occasionally, or maybe even more than occasionally. It doesn't mean I would recommend it.
    My reasoning is because I personally have a 1400 calorie goal. If I eat too many convenience foods, I don't have room for foods with key nutrients. If I do this a couple of times a week, I doubt it really matters. But daily?

I started reducing calories again in December 2016. About 7 months ago, my hair started falling out. I had tests of all sorts done, lipid levels, TSH, who knows what else in addition to seeing a dermatologist. My useless GP said it was post pregnancy ... kinda late though being 15 months post partum ... and sent my on my way. A naturopath tested my vitamin levels and sure enough I'm B vitamin deficient, which causes hair loss.

I had months worth of nutritional data. I was very good at cutting calories hence my weight loss success. But I was eating plenty of cookies, cake, enchiladas, and not eating nutritionally dense foods (or whatever you want to call it). So this is why I personally cringe when I try to encourage others to eat more "Whole Foods" and get questioned/rebutted.

Aaaaaand that's just my two cents!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Yet even the most cursory perusal of the forums clearly shows that there are a staggering number of healthy, fit, athletic members on MFP.

What crazy talk! People can't possible be healthy and fit while also eating processed foods. It's impossible! Cosmo told me so! /s

That's the reason people who incorporate the things they love into their diet get "cheered". The sheer amount of "You can't eat this and be healthy!!!!!" BS that's around.

So let me ask y'all a question. I've been around on MFP since 2010, albeit a different username, and have repeatedly been challenged over what seems to be semantics. I say the words "processed foods" to mean boxed foods, I.e. Hamburger helper, fast food (no not a salad from McDonald's), hungry man meals, stuff with tons of preservatives etc. I am not referring to frozen veggies, GMOs, etc. WHAT should I (we, cause I'm not the only one) be saying to avoid these conundrums??? Do you want us to say "Whole Foods"? "Nutritionally dense foods?" "Cooked at home", Something else?

I ask with all due respect because when I see someone, including myself, trying to encourage people on these forums to eat more "nutritionally sense" foods, we get attacked on what seems to be nomenclature.

I have long preferred convenience foods
  • Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    I like the off brand lean cuisine dinners because the ones I like are relatively low sodium and low carb and mostly protein and low calorie. They fit perfectly into my 1200 calories a day. Along with my yogurt, fruit, veggies and whatever I choose for dinner. There are healthy processed foods, you might have to look harder for them, but they are there.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member

You seem to be talking about convenience foods or premade meals, perhaps, vs. homemade foods (or cooking from scratch or whole foods).

If you spoke of convenience foods, I'd better understand what you mean (although I think of fast food as a separate category -- to me processed foods are things you buy to make at home or use as an ingredient in homemade meals, mostly). However even so I think it's worth noting that convenience foods are a HUGE range when it comes to what "additives" they have, how nutritious they are. My sister does a lot of Amy's meals and the like for lunches or a "got home late and don't want to cook" thing and they don't have many ingredients that seem unlike what would be in any other meal, and their nutrition profile seems okay, not as good as what I tend to make (or as she tends to make) when we cook, but not bad, better than plenty of homecooked meals. Similarly, I used to live on rice and beans (packaged, a convenience food) with added veg and maybe some feta during my vegetarian days in my 20s, and same (except it probably had more additives, I dunno, it didn't make me fat, though, or prevent me from eating veg).

The funny thing to me is that most of the things people who like to go on the most about processed foods seem to think about ARE the kinds of things you mentioned, and while I don't think they are terrible I just never really ate them. Yet because I don't say processed foods are bad (since I think plenty of them, the ones I mostly include in my diet are actually helpful to me, and others -- the sweets, for example, are identical in their effect to a homemade version -- see the ice cream example above), I get told I don't care about nutrition or health but only weight loss. Isn't that what you said above about people defending processed foods? I'll try to find it to be sure.

Edit to add -- this one:

Anyway:

Nonsense. I discuss and encourage nutritionally conscious eating all the time. I just think it should focus on, you know, nutrition, things like what is in the diet and eating vegetables and so on, and not whether the foods one eats can be termed processed (so that one might feel a failure if she makes a healthy meal of dried pasta with a delicious sauce made of ground beef, lots of vegetables, some olive oil, or, say, a quick topping of shrimp and veg in olive oil with pinenuts, because dried pasta = processed).

If someone mostly eats a nutrient dense diet with lots of vegetables, healthy fats, adequate protein, and plenty of fiber, some fruit and whole grains, etc, not excessive indulgent foods, and also finds it is easier to do this if one occasionally relies on frozen veg with a sauce (packaged not made) or frozen meals or SnapKitchen, why is this not being nutritionally conscious? I think saying so is a good way to make a lot of people (many of whom don't come to this knowing how to cook or liking it -- something that made this way easier for me, I admit) throw up their hands and decide they can never be good enough so might as well give up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't focus on whole foods if that pleases you (I do too, just from personal preference). But don't confuse caring about nutrition with an ostentatious position on the evils of "processed food," especially since (again) processed food isn't a single thing at all, but enormously varied. Many people who don't ever think about processed foods don't eat lots of premade meals or choose nutritious ones or eat them on occasion but also eat far more vegetables than many who claim to be clean eaters.

I'm very interested in discussions of nutrition, but the "processed foods are bad and those who eat them don't care about nutrition" just seems a way to try and bash others (who probably eat no more processed foods than you in many cases, ironically).

I get what you are saying, but want to be clear I never called you out by name as someone who has rebutted me personally. I never called out anyone, because I don't care to go look up usernames in threads. So please don't take what I said so personally?
This discussion has been closed.