Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• DamieBird wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.

I'm cool with alternative milks because they have a historical pedigree. (I am not saying this is a good reason, particularly, I hope I'd be cool with them regardless, but I tend to be affected stupidly by such things.) I like researching old recipes and cuisines, and nut milks played a role in medieval cooking, for example, for various reasons, including the restrictions on dairy during fasting days.

I don't think they are healthier, but they taste different and I actually really like homemade nut milks and coconut milk (which at least until recently no one thought was healthier). Ironically, of course, a homemade cashew milk (which usually includes the nuts and is not just nut flavored) will be higher cal than dairy, and lower protein, but higher fat (like nuts!). (I mostly use it, though, because I usually have cashews around and rarely have milk around, because I don't drink it often enough to buy it, it would go bad.)

I fully understand the taste preference and I wouldn't give anyone side eye for choosing to consume them for whatever reason . . just don't be like that one person {or several} on Facebook {or in the office} who thinks you've found the secret to all of life's mysteries in your diet almond milk Shakeology chalk smoothie that you chase with ACV and start shaming the dairy loving folks for eating Greek Yogurt and berries. Just- no. I also had someone I know on FB who has a very limited food budget and wanted to get healthy, but felt that they only way to do that was to drink green smoothies made with expensive fresh produce and almond milk every morning, even though there was no dietary reason for it, even though frozen fruit/veg and dairy would cost half as much. The alterna-milk marketing machine is effective if nothing else :/.

Yeah nut "milk" and touted as healthier without any evidence is annoying too. The chalky flavor usually ruins any coffee drink for me. Not great flavor and texture, higher calorie and no real health benefits, so why?

I view them as something generally to avoid unless you love the flavor since the protein and general nutritional value is low vs calories. However I did like the taste of one I tried drinking it alone...but the calories were huge for half a glass of "pressed nut dessert" (not milk). ;)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    From a kosher perspective, meat and dairy can't be combined and even cooking milk and meat in the same oven at the same time is problematic. I'm vegetarian and make a lot of multicultural recipes, mostly because Eastern European Jewish cuisine is pretty low on vegetarian mains. But I'm married to a meat-eater and cook meat for him. So, I look to dairy alternatives, mostly so that I can try out certain recipes and cook/heat them up to eat while Hubby is having his meat. I still eat regular dairy, in the form of Greek yogurt and cheese (never been much of a milk-drinker), but for cooking and baking, it's the alternatives.

TBH, I've never even thought about potential religious reasons for it. I wonder if that was part of the historical pedigree that @lemurcat12 mentioned? Thanks for the info :)!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    Oooh, we love milk alternatives in this house.
    There's a long tradition of them. And they are fine by us.

Oh, and you can buy them by the case at costco and they don't spoil!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

That being said, if there are no real metabolic issues -- then I totally agree.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
    It's HARDER with hypothyroid, but it STILL comes down to CICO. You CAN'T gain MASS by eating less than you burn. You can retain water, but that's not REAL weight in terms of body composition (lean mass and fat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh yes the legendary "fake" weight then it must be?

If its not lean mass or fat mass, what could it be?

Water is lean mass

Water is as important in your body composition as your clothes, and almost as easily lost and gained.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    From a kosher perspective, meat and dairy can't be combined and even cooking milk and meat in the same oven at the same time is problematic. I'm vegetarian and make a lot of multicultural recipes, mostly because Eastern European Jewish cuisine is pretty low on vegetarian mains. But I'm married to a meat-eater and cook meat for him. So, I look to dairy alternatives, mostly so that I can try out certain recipes and cook/heat them up to eat while Hubby is having his meat. I still eat regular dairy, in the form of Greek yogurt and cheese (never been much of a milk-drinker), but for cooking and baking, it's the alternatives.

Get that man a grill and an appropriately manly apron, and some cool tongs and other accoutrements, and tell him to get his butt to work. (But not pork butt...not kosher).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Take my cheese and I will cut you.

Oh, like I'm scared of your cheese knife!

Well I'm Scottish, my cheese knife is more like a cutlass......

You can cut the cheese and then pin your kilt shut with it. o:)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I have a vegan (and epic pretty terrible person, I keep her for the carcrash can't look away element) on my FB and she posted a meme about people asking where they get their protein with an image of almond milk. Oh how I laughed.

I have a particular hate for almond milk in terms of the cost to the environment, but I haven't researched that in a while, so I could admittedly be off based about it. I thought at one point I read that it took insane amounts of water to grow almonds, and the almond milk industry has increased demand so much that it was contributing to the strain in certain drought areas. It kinda leads me into a rant about water -_- . . . not ALL water, just bottled water and anything and everything produced by Nestle (to include food products and subsidiaries!), but that's another topic altogether ;)

*whew* that feels kinda good
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I have a vegan (and epic pretty terrible person, I keep her for the carcrash can't look away element) on my FB and she posted a meme about people asking where they get their protein with an image of almond milk. Oh how I laughed.

I have a particular hate for almond milk in terms of the cost to the environment, but I haven't researched that in a while, so I could admittedly be off based about it. I thought at one point I read that it took insane amounts of water to grow almonds, and the almond milk industry has increased demand so much that it was contributing to the strain in certain drought areas. It kinda leads me into a rant about water -_- . . . not ALL water, just bottled water and anything and everything produced by Nestle (to include food products and subsidiaries!), but that's another topic altogether ;)

I've never understood why bottled water seems to arouse more outrage, environmentally speaking, than soda/pop or beer, among other beverages. They all involved taking a bunch of water, putting it in bottles, and shipping it all over the place. Do the sugar/sweetener and flavorings somehow remove the taint, despite being a small percentage by volume?

Does the cows drinking the water in order to create milk somehow exonerate dairy drinks, compared to bottled water?

Even wine and pure, fresh juices simply run the water through the precipitation cycle, before making the beverage - does that make it less environmentally worrisome?

(I'm not stumping for Big Bev here: I drink mostly faucet water, and put that back into the local water table via septic system. I'm genuinely puzzled about the narrow bottled water focus of activism.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I've never understood why bottled water seems to arouse more outrage, environmentally speaking, than soda/pop or beer, among other beverages. They all involved taking a bunch of water, putting it in bottles, and shipping it all over the place. Do the sugar/sweetener and flavorings somehow remove the taint, despite being a small percentage by volume?

Does the cows drinking the water in order to create milk somehow exonerate dairy drinks, compared to bottled water?

Even wine and pure, fresh juices simply run the water through the precipitation cycle, before making the beverage - does that make it less environmentally worrisome?

(I'm not stumping for Big Bev here: I drink mostly faucet water, and put that back into the local water table via septic system. I'm genuinely puzzled about the narrow bottled water focus of activism.)

I always figured it was because I can't just go to my faucet and refill my bottle with anything but water. Oh, how good that would be.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

From what I've seen when people expound upon it, the outrage comes from the fact that bottled water is bottled, and the plastic bottles are extra waste/garbage (but every other beverage you buy is canned/bottled too, so it's kind of a head scratcher to me). I guess the line of thought is that you should use refillable bottles and cut down on the waste.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

I always figured it was because I can't just go to my faucet and refill my bottle with anything but water. Oh, how good that would be.

It's probably a very good thing I don't have Dr. Pepper on tap!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

It's probably a very good thing I don't have Dr. Pepper on tap!

I had a picture pop into my head of what I would look like if I had DP on tap at my house...not pretty. :#
This discussion has been closed.