Apparently fat acceptance is a civil rights issue

Options

Replies

• peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think it went off tracks with the first post & moved pretty quickly into fat bashing.

Especially when he is visibly fat himself.

Yes, I am fat. Three years ago I was very active and weighed 144 pounds. I was off my feet for over a year due to medical issues I got while serving my country and gained 70 pounds. I am now able to walk and have lost 17 pounds so far. I'm not sure what your point behind me being " visibly fat" is.

you dont see the hypocrisy in fat shaming when you yourself are fat?
    Except I'm not fat shaming.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    But you CHOSE to jump out of planes...
    And your point is?

• peckchris3267
    Options
    You sir, should consider resisting the urge to open new threads. Unless of course there's more to your list of things that grind your gears.
    Why are you even participating in this thread if you hate it so much?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Service to your country doesn't automatically entitle you to eat more that you require, that was his choice. If you are bed ridden you don't NEED to eat 2500 calories/day. You require less, and therefor is your choice to do so... same argument for the able bodied eating too much.

Ut oh....
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

The fire department will help funeral homes move bodies out of homes, we've had to call for help a few times. They charge us nothing.

The funeral industry says otherwise.

http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/funerals-for-oversize-people.html#.WTbLL6cpDYU

"What does it mean if you are fat and need a funeral? How do funeral directors have to change practices to accommodate the growing number of obese corpses? Needless to say it means a greater cost to arrange a funeral for a ‘larger than average’ size person."

You're going to trust an article on a website that looks like it's from 1999 over a professional in the industry?
    It's from 2013 and yes, it is directly from the funeral industry, not the opinions of some journalist not in the industry.

So someone who works in the industry is wrong? Yet, someone who writes a dated article on the internet is right?

Here's some of the things that are incorrect about how you referenced your sources.
    • You did not check the sources of your reference article. The article doesn't say where it got the cost of a funeral for someone overweight nor does it compare it too anywhere else in the nation.
    • Also, you need to use more recent references as information changes over time. For example, a DVD player used to cost $1000, now it cost $20, but if I referenced an article from 1997, I would think I was correct if I told someone a DVD player cost $1000.

Therefor if someone who sold DVD players told me I was wrong and I did only dated research I would think I was correct when I wasn't.

There are many, many articles out there that contradict what you are saying and make complete sense.

"Embalming the Obese
    Apr 25, 2014
    I noticed that recently this subreddit has been discussing the sizing of airplane seats, and the complications of fitting a fat person into a confined small seat. It strangely reminded me of caskets, so I decided you all might want to hear about servicing the fat in the funeral industry!

As an embalmer, I see more and more bodies coming in that are morbidly obese. That means I have to make deeper incisions, use more fluid, sew up longer autopsy scars, and strain my back to lift heavier people. The lifting is the worst part, especially if I'm in the building alone and nobody is there to help me. Some funeral homes invest in a mechanical lift, but of course, they have a weight limit. So, lifting bodies has made me pretty muscular in the arms and abdomen! Well, muscular enough for a little lady who's 5'4" and would rather do math than lift weights. That being said, I've also sustained two spinal injuries from lifting bodies. I'm in my twenties and I've had spinal injuries. What in the world!

A body requires about a gallon of embalming solution for every fifty pounds of weight. Each gallon contains anywhere from 2-4 bottles of chemicals. Let's say a person is about 600 pounds. That means we need 12 gallons, containing anywhere from 24-48 bottles. This does not include the cavity fluid that we use the sterilize the cavities of the body. A normal-sized person requires one bottle. A larger person may require as many as 4 or 5, just to sterilize the body. We can't use less than we need, or the body may not be properly sterilized. As a proponent of "green burials" (environmentally friendly chemicals and biodegradable materials used in the funerals), it pains me to see this much formaldehyde being pumped into the earth.

Your average casket is built to fit your average person. Larger custom caskets can be ordered, but each inch added to the width can drive the price up exponentially. Caskets are already expensive, and wide-load caskets are almost absurdly costly. That doesn't include the cost of a concrete vault for the coffin to be buried in, if you want one.

These large coffins are absurd. the largest I've ever had to order was the size of a bed. I would've been able to fit both myself and another person of my size inside. It was like standing next to a canoe, and it cost more than a new car. I've heard of the families of larger people ordering that the funeral home cut off excess fat so the body will fit in a normal casket.

"All this burial stuff is too complicated," you say? "Isn't cremation the same for a morbidly obese person as it is for a skinnier person?" Well, sometimes, no. You've no doubt heard about the Austrian woman whose body was so fat it started a grease fire in a crematorium two years ago. I have a friend who is a crematorium operator, and he once had to cut up a super-morbidly obese man and cremate him in three separate parts, because he would not fit in the chamber. Crematoriums require a lot of energy to operate, as the fire has to be EXTREMELY hot in order to reduce the body to ash. Take the energy used by a normal-sized body, and multiply it by three. That's what had to be paid by the funeral home to accommodate one very large man.

Tl;DR - funeral workers and the families of the deceased must shell out extra money and put in extra time to accommodate the obese."
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Service to your country doesn't automatically entitle you to eat more that you require, that was his choice. If you are bed ridden you don't NEED to eat 2500 calories/day. You require less, and therefor is your choice to do so... same argument for the able bodied eating too much.

Ut oh....

well a daily surplus of nearly 700 calories is a choice at that point. In 2012 I had a massive basilar artery stroke after visiting a chiropractor who clipped my artery during an adjustment. I spent a year learning to walk and talk AND tracking macros, lost 80lbs over the next 2 years some of which while I was unable to walk. I don't attend pity parties and most importantly I take personal responsibility.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Ut oh....
    I agree 100% and take ownership of my weight gain. I knew the consequences while I was doing it. I am not giving an excuse, just a reason and I am losing the weight I gained. The difference is all the fat people who make excuses and blame everyone and everything but themselves.

• inertiastrength
    Options

Ut oh....
    I agree 100% and take ownership of my weight gain. I knew the consequences while I was doing it. I am not giving an excuse, just a reason and I am losing the weight I gained. The difference is all the fat people who make excuses and blame everyone and everything but themselves.

And I'm sure there are many fat people with "reasons" too. Depression, job loss, family member passing, there are a million different reasons why your head may not be in the game...
  • inertiastrength
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Add to that, not knowing how to lose weight (let's face it a lot of people even here don't) and it's easy to see why most people are unsuccessful. Maybe instead of shaming fat people thin we should educate them?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Ut oh....

And I'm sure there are many fat people with "reasons" too. Depression, job loss, family member passing, there are a million different reasons why your head may not be in the game...

This. Everybody has reasons. Why should you (general you) get to decide whether or not those reasons are valid?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Add to that, not knowing how to lose weight (let's face it a lot of people even here don't) and it's easy to see why most people are unsuccessful. Maybe instead of shaming fat people thin we should educate them?

You can have my Pop Tarts when you pry them from my dead, cold fingers.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

You can have my Pop Tarts when you pry them from my dead, cold fingers.

Just beware the embalming fluid...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Everybody has reasons. Why should you (general you) get to decide whether or not those reasons are valid?

To be completely honest, I read this while eating 4 Almond Joy and three Twix bars.

• peckchris3267
    Options
    Reason

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a reason refers to a cause or an explanation. When giving a reason the person tries to explain why he/she did or did not do something. It can also be used when speaking of situations as well. A reason is usually logical, rational and objective. It is not given with the intention of saving one’s self but to explain a situation.

Excuse

An excuse refers to an explanation put forward to justify or defend a fault. When giving an excuse, the individual makes an attempt to put the blame on another person or on circumstances rather than being accountable for his own actions. This is usually considered as a negative practice. Most excuses tend to be illogical, and irrational arguments put forward by a person to get away from a problem.
  • peckchris3267
    Options

Ut oh....

What's the difference between a reason an an excuse? Reasons are what "I" do, excuses are what you hear from "everyone else."

Reason

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a reason refers to a cause or an explanation. When giving a reason the person tries to explain why he/she did or did not do something. It can also be used when speaking of situations as well. A reason is usually logical, rational and objective. It is not given with the intention of saving one’s self but to explain a situation.

Excuse

An excuse refers to an explanation put forward to justify or defend a fault. When giving an excuse, the individual makes an attempt to put the blame on another person or on circumstances rather than being accountable for his own actions. This is usually considered as a negative practice. Most excuses tend to be illogical, and irrational arguments put forward by a person to get away from a problem.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Reason

Excuse

lol. Here we go...

tenor.gif
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Reason

Excuse

oh then you definitely meant to say excuse in your OP re: this issue. Because a reason would have been a metabolic condition you developed as a result of your service to the country. An excuse is what you gave.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    What actually CAUSED you to gain weight was your choice to over eat after your energy requirements changed due to a particular circumstance.
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Ut oh....

This. Everybody has reasons. Why should you (general you) get to decide whether or not those reasons are valid?
    There is actually a definition for reason and excuse. They are not the same. Im not deciding anything about what is valid or not, but there is a clear difference between reason and excuse.
This discussion has been closed.